Real vs fake

Real vs fake

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dulcispoena.1325

dulcispoena.1325

Fractal backs x4. It was a lot of grind and gold. Now anyone with 1 back can have the skin across all their characters. I’m having fun looking at my “dual” wielding legendaries but at the same time can’t seem to stop thinking about all those who grinded for their gear only now left to wonder who really did and didn’t do what. Mixed emotions.

(edited by dulcispoena.1325)

Real vs fake

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

No. You still have those fractal backs. It’s only the skin that’s now account wide.

If you’re worried about who earned the skin, do they have it? Yes? They earned it.

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

That’s what I’m talking about- the skin. Also, not about earning it but about losing the appreciation value of those that did the grind.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten.3872

Fractal backs x4. It was a lot of grind and money. Now anyone with 1 back can have the skin across all their characters. I’m having fun looking at my “dual” wielding legendaries but at the same time can’t seem to stop thinking about all those who grinded for their gear only now left to wonder who really did and didn’t do what. Mixed emotions.

The skin may be unlocked account wide, but stats aren’t. Are you saying you’re characters aren’t benefiting from the stats that the fractal back pieces give?

Jaina Kitten, Level 80 Elementalist, Main
Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

I’m talking about the skin, not the actual back. Unless you ask for a ping, no one can tell the difference between the skin and the real thing.

Real vs fake

Wildkitten.3872

Sorry, but I have a tough time believing you played through fractals a lot to get just the skin for your alts, that you don’t care about the stats involved.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Real vs fake

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I am not sure CS will refund for a diminished ego-booster. Unlikely, at best.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Who cares about the skins anyways? I’ve got a level 6 engi running around with a quad spinal blade pack skinned over her MTK. Just means I’ve got the time and money to waste on such things.

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Wildkitten I’m not quite sure you are understanding me. I’ve grinded fractals to get 4 ascended berserker stat backs for 4 of my characters. Now I’m saying that the skins replacing normal backs give just the appearance of someone who did that.

Real vs fake

Wildkitten.3872

Wildkitten I’m not quite sure you are understanding me. I’ve grinded fractals to get 4 ascended berserker stat backs for 4 of my characters. Now I’m saying that the skins replacing normal back give just the appearance of someone who did that.

Right and the characters are still getting the stat benefit of those back pieces so I’m not sure what your gripe is.

Yes, someone could use the skin of a fractal piece to cover a yellow back item, but guess what, that could be done before anyway.

Yak’s Bend – Expletus

Real vs fake

Darkobra.6439

And now you still have ascended stats on your back while they don’t. And if you’re thinking “I don’t know if I should take them into my dungeon because they have on average 5% less damage than they would have if they DID have an ascended back” then that problem’s still with you.

You have lost nothing.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

But if they have the skin, then they clearly have earned it at some point.

I’m not sure I understand the problem. Are you saying someone could have a level 40 alt with the fractal back piece and that means they didn’t earn it? That means their main character has earned it.

EDIT: I think I get it now. You have 4 chars with real Ascended back pieces, the other people could only have one and then the rest just skins. But so what? What about people like me who hide their back pieces on some chars. Would you assume I don’t have a backpiece at all? Or if I did, it wasn’t Ascended? In the end, it just means that that player is experienced in FoTM. Considering you could reskin Ascended back-pieces to non-Ascended skins (like the Fervid Censor or something), you will just have to continue not knowing exactly what gear someone else has. Would you honestly not play with someone because they didn’t have an Ascended backpiece, but rather an exotic?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

(edited by Draknar.5748)

Real vs fake

Posted by: Lazarus.3970

Lazarus.3970

That level 20 character running around with the fractal back item skin, guess what, that person actually had to get the skin/item normally, so they did the grind. The stats still only apply to the character that uses the origional item, but the skin, while able to be used on that level 20, was obtained the legit and only way. Through the grind.

Real vs fake

Posted by: The Eternal Grace.3157

The Eternal Grace.3157

Fractal backs x4. It was a lot of grind and money. Now anyone with 1 back can have the skin across all their characters. I’m having fun looking at my “dual” wielding legendaries but at the same time can’t seem to stop thinking about all those who grinded for their gear only now left to wonder who really did and didn’t do what. Mixed emotions.

The skin may be unlocked account wide, but stats aren’t. Are you saying you’re characters aren’t benefiting from the stats that the fractal back pieces give?

I made 2 fractal backpieces, and it’s actually pretty disappointing considering I invested ~150g worth of ectos in each. Now that’s wasted since I can use the skin on anyone. Moreover, if I really wanted the stats, I didn’t have to spend the extra 75g just to upgrade the skin, or I could have just constantly transferred the backpiece from character to character, since they’re account bound now. Basically a huge waste of 150g for me, and that’s just the fractal capacitor…not including my multiple abyss/celestial dyes, weapon skins, etc…

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Ok dark… not quite sure why you are putting words into my mouth because I didn’t mention that. Obviously I didn’t lose anything. And I did state that I was enjoying it myself, looking at my characters dual wield legendaries they really didn’t have 2 of. And yes it could have been done before but not as easily and permanently as you can now since all you have to do is skin it over and keep it there instead of swapping it out over and over again. Like I said, I’m having fun with it but still some mixed emotions.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Wildkitten I’m not quite sure you are understanding me. I’ve grinded fractals to get 4 ascended berserker stat backs for 4 of my characters. Now I’m saying that the skins replacing normal backs give just the appearance of someone who did that.

And again, who cares? If someone’s wearing the fractal back piece as-is, regardless of the stats it has, it means they like the look of the skin. They didnt work for the skin because of the stats, they worked for this skin because of how it looks. So I dont see how that matters when you’re clearly stating you got the back piece for the stats.

Real vs fake

The Eternal Grace.3157

You have lost nothing.

Not true at all… (See my above post)

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Thank you eternal! I feel the same. Abyss x3, celestial x5.

Real vs fake

The Eternal Grace.3157

I don’t think there should be a way to tell between real vs. “fake” items, but I do feel like I should be compensated for what I put my effort into for now essentially nothing. 250ectos for a skin that I already had now suddenly doesn’t matter. And 2 abyss dyes is not the same as an abyss and unidentified dye; sorry ANet, but that’s not much of a compensation.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

The final upgrade which costs 500 relics and 250 ectos is purely cosmetic

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

I suppose to me the look of the back was also very important since IMO the frac back is still prettier than dwayna or other backs. So I grinded for both stats and look. I have since given all my non-ascended back characters the fractal skin and still feel like I’ve cheated myself. Haha.

Real vs fake

Posted by: DaMikenatr.7041

DaMikenatr.7041

I don’t think there should be a way to tell between real vs. “fake” items, but I do feel like I should be compensated for what I put my effort into for now essentially nothing. 250ectos for a skin that I already had now suddenly doesn’t matter. And 2 abyss dyes is not the same as an abyss and unidentified dye; sorry ANet, but that’s not much of a compensation.

The key word skin is something that appears to be misunderstood. Items are not only skins and they are not only stats, they are both. I can understand making a 2nd backpiece simply for the skin, but the point is that you still have an ascended backpiece regardless. To say that it is nothing is incorrect. I can see your dilemma, but at the same time, there’s a limit to how far you can take things out of context. In regards to the dye, I personally didn’t have that issue, but I can agree that it’s not equal compensation, but that’s not really on topic for this thread.

Tsyborg – human guardian – commander
Vicious Instinct [VI]

Real vs fake

The Eternal Grace.3157

I suppose to me the look of the back was also very important since IMO the frac back is still prettier than dwayna or other backs. So I grinded for both stats and look. I have since given all my non-ascended back characters the fractal skin and still feel like I’ve cheated myself. Haha.

I only got the fractal capacitor for looks. If I wanted it for stats, I would have either gone with a cheaper ascended backpiece like a quiver or just stopped after it was ascended and not spent the 500e on each…

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Thank you Xae, I forgot to mention that too- the final upgrade for the back is purely cosmetic. So yes, I did it for both the stats and the look. But that’s what gw2 was all about wasn’kitten Anyone remember when legendaries had the same stats as exotics. Getting a legendary was purely for looks.

Real vs fake

The Eternal Grace.3157

The key word skin is something that appears to be misunderstood. Items are not only skins and they are not only stats, they are both. I can understand making a 2nd backpiece simply for the skin, but the point is that you still have an ascended backpiece regardless. To say that it is nothing is incorrect. I can see your dilemma, but at the same time, there’s a limit to how far you can take things out of context. In regards to the dye, I personally didn’t have that issue, but I can agree that it’s not equal compensation, but that’s not really on topic for this thread.

Yes, I have ascended stats on both characters now, but the difference is I could have had the same stats AND skins for 500e and, f I remember correctly, 1000 fractal relics less. That’s over 150g for nothing; not to mention the amount of time it took to gather the 1000 fractal relics that went down the drain as well.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Mortifer.2946

Mortifer.2946

everyone who crafted more than 1 shiny fractal capacitor wasted 250 ecto with each crafted piece…. kind of sad
I don’t like these changes either… and seeing legendaries everywhere isn’t that much great as I thought

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Thank you mort. I suppose those who are seemingly getting offended by my reaction has not crafted more than one, let alone maybe even one. T.T

Real vs fake

Posted by: DaMikenatr.7041

DaMikenatr.7041

Yes, I have ascended stats on both characters now, but the difference is I could have had the same stats AND skins for 500e and, f I remember correctly, 1000 fractal relics less. That’s over 150g for nothing; not to mention the amount of time it took to gather the 1000 fractal relics that went down the drain as well.

Okay, I can see that as well as mentioned earlier with the dual-wielding legendaries and such. With this patch there’s people who made out very well and some people who got that shaft. But overall, starting from here on out, they have removed the problem like this where you have to do such a grind in order to get a piece that you like on more than one character. Did this ability come a tad late for a lot of people? Probably, but the point is that they took feedback from the game and they made the effort to make changes so that we can have a better game moving forward. I can sympathize with a lot of the people who got the shaft, but rather than focusing your energy on the negatives, look at the brighter outcome for the future of the game. There’s never going to be an update for a game that pleases and does good for every single player and that’s something that needs to be understood.

Tsyborg – human guardian – commander
Vicious Instinct [VI]

Real vs fake

Posted by: Nerelith.7360

Nerelith.7360

Fractal backs x4. It was a lot of grind and gold. Now anyone with 1 back can have the skin across all their characters. I’m having fun looking at my “dual” wielding legendaries but at the same time can’t seem to stop thinking about all those who grinded for their gear only now left to wonder who really did and didn’t do what. Mixed emotions.

Why do you care?

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Real vs fake

Nerelith.7360

Let me clue you In, it did not matter before. Some people think that the rest of us, spend a LOT of time wondering." did he earn that back piece or is it a skin?"

me I don’t care. All I care about is… “Am I doing My best to take care of my Place In a group?” As I would Hope would be YOUR main concern. Not whether a flipping back piece is real, or not.

The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Let me clue you In, it did not matter before. Some people think that the rest of us, spend a LOT of time wondering." did he earn that back piece or is it a skin?"

me I don’t care. All I care about is… “Am I doing My best to take care of my Place In a group?” As I would Hope would be YOUR main concern. Not whether a flipping back piece is real, or not.

Nerelith, please read the whole discussion. I am not concerned whether or not your back is real. Its the depreciation for the hard work it takes to get that skin multiple times I feel for MYSELF.

When xyz is created in an influx, the value of xyz goes down. In one’s own feeling.

And guess what, the next time you see a character in a party that has a full set of ascended gear double legendaries blah blah and you think to yourself even for a split second, are all those even real, don’t say I didn’t say so.

Not that it’s my priority, but it will cross your mind.

Real vs fake

Nerelith.7360

Nerelith, please read the whole discussion. I am not concerned whether or not your back is real. Its the depreciation for the hard work it takes to get that skin multiple times I feel for MYSELF.

When xyz is created in an influx, the value of xyz goes down. In one’s own feeling.

And guess what, the next time you see a character in a party that has a full set of ascended gear double legendaries blah blah and you think to yourself even for a split second, are all those even real, don’t say I didn’t say so.

Not that it’s my priority, but it will cross your mind.

LOL

Let me try again. When I see someone In " full ascended and double legendaries" I really do not give it a second’s thought, because I don’t care abouyt How much BLING someone needs to make themselves feel Like that proves anything to anyone about anything.

A player in " full ascended and dual legendaries" doesn’t mean they can handle their place In a dungeon group…etc…. their play skill can be determined by how they play…not how they look.

As I said. No one really gives a kitten whether that fullascended is a skin or real. Except for the people that needto see it On themselves, and that then they feel that says something about their skill.

Trust me it doesn’t. I for one, don’t care what someone else is wearing. it tells me absolute zero about their skill. And that isn’t new. Since that is where it was before. It told me Nothing about their skill before, it tells me Nothing about their skill now.

PS Visual Bling is something that I never thought about before. And hate to burst your bubble. You are wrong. It never crossed my mind before. it doesn’t cross my mind now, and it never will.

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Well kudos to you for not caring.

Let me try again!

That wasn’t the original point.

ITS ABOUT THE DEVALUE OF THE ITEM.

Please read.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Shifu.4321

Shifu.4321

Mine has a Made in the USA logo and a hologram seal at the back to confirm authenticity. Fakes have different colored logos.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Alacrity.4312

Alacrity.4312

lol, this has to be a troll thread.

Even if you have twenty of the things legit, you can only equip one at a time.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

What’s sad about this is that those skins were ugly anyway (so ugly they never inspired me to work for them in fractals yet I did fractals anyway) but clearly the OP thought that he/she was admired for having the skin…..

Be lucky you still have the stats, that’s what it’s all about anyway.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

What? Obviously? That response made no sense.

If you guys are fully reading this, eternal grace pretty much summed it up. Creating the fully upgraded back is purely cosmetic so I wasted a lot of time and gold doing that for 4 characters when I could’ve stopped at 3rd upgrade and just skinned them.

Basically DaMi also summed it up well. Many got shafted and even more made out well.

Thank you.

Real vs fake

Nerelith.7360

What? Obviously? That response made no sense.

If you guys are fully reading this, eternal grace pretty much summed it up. Creating the fully upgraded back is purely cosmetic so I wasted a lot of time and gold doing that for 4 characters when I could’ve stopped at 3rd upgrade and just skinned them.

Basically DaMi also summed it up well. Many got shafted and even more made out well.

Thank you.

What you gained was having those skins before the 15th. You had use of them before anyone else did. The thing is… at the time you thought it was a good use of your time and resources.

Before the automobile was created a LOT of people thought it would be a great idea to know how to operate Horse drawn waggons. After that not so Much….

My point is…Things Change all the time. it is NOT Anet’s job to keep the game in a way we like. it is OUR responsibility if we wish to continue playing to adapt to what Anet does to the game.

Many people have complained." This ruined my playstyle."

All I can say is… when a game changes In a way that ruins your playstyle… the thing to do is either:

1. Find a new playstyle. ( what I did.)
or
2. Play something else.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

But you can only play one character at a time. It’s no different if those people stayed logged in on the character that had it.

Or do you think when you switch alts, people know it’s you and so they know you did that?

And why would anyone care that you did that anyway?

Seems to me that if the reason you’re getting stuff is so people can look at you and be impressed, you’re probably going to be disappointed anyway.

Real vs fake

Posted by: hedition.7261

hedition.7261

Lemme translate this thread for you guys

“I wish Anet had done this earlier so I didn’t have to waste 1000 ectos to make 4 fractal backpieces glow. Other people need only 250 ectos and charges.”

Or maybe

“They don’t deserve that backpiece as much as I do because I grinded them out.”

You care too much about what other people has.

(edited by hedition.7261)

Real vs fake

Darkobra.6439

Thank you mort. I suppose those who are seemingly getting offended by my reaction has not crafted more than one, let alone maybe even one. T.T

That’s your defence to not knowing if people REALLY have an ascended back piece? Then your starter argument isn’t that strong if you can’t fall back on that alone.

Real vs fake

Darkobra.6439

Let me try again!

Please read.

You’re assuming ANYONE put value on a Fractal backpiece. You did because you wanted the stats and liked the skin. You still have them. Once again, you have lost nothing. You have exactly what you paid for.

Good luck trying to get that refund.

Real vs fake

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

Let me try again!

Please read.

You’re assuming ANYONE put value on a Fractal backpiece. You did because you wanted the stats and liked the skin. You still have them. Once again, you have lost nothing. You have exactly what you paid for.

So if you go into a store and they sell, for example, 6 gem cards totaling 5,000 gems for £50, you then go to same store about 2 weeks later to find out they are selling the exact same amount but for £10 how do you think he has lost out?

The dual legendaries I really don’t care about, they are for convenience. But as someone with multiple ascended backpieces of the same, I made because my other toons didn’t have access to it and now they do, therefore, I have wasted those ectos and powerful bloods etc… to make the backpiece.

Overall, he wasted his mats creating multiple ascended pieces because his alts didn’t have them and people are throwing around the ego-booster card like it actually means something. Forgive me if min/maxers are hard done by.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Real vs fake

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

That’s what I’m talking about- the skin. Also, not about earning it but about losing the appreciation value of those that did the grind.

Er, what? Everyone with the skin before did the grind. Everyone with the skin now did the grind. Nothing has changed.
(remember, the only person that knows you have 4 of those is you, noone else is able to see that anyway).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Real vs fake

dulcispoena.1325

Let me try again!

Please read.

So if you go into a store and they sell, for example, 6 gem cards totaling 5,000 gems for £50, you then go to same store about 2 weeks later to find out they are selling the exact same amount but for £10 how do you think he has lost out?

The dual legendaries I really don’t care about, they are for convenience. But as someone with multiple ascended backpieces of the same, I made because my other toons didn’t have access to it and now they do, therefore, I have wasted those ectos and powerful bloods etc… to make the backpiece.

Overall, he wasted his mats creating multiple ascended pieces because his alts didn’t have them and people are throwing around the ego-booster card like it actually means something. Forgive me if min/maxers are hard done by.

Thanks dakota. I don’t think people are fully reading this thread.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I made because my other toons didn’t have access to it and now they do, therefore, I have wasted those ectos and powerful bloods etc… to make the backpiece.

Yes. You hit the nail on the head. You did waste them. And…..?

Sometimes in life things turn out to have been a waste. I mean, I have 10 or so HD-DVDs on my shelf still (I guess I should go ahead and throw them away, I can’t even watch them lol). At $20/pop or whatever it was when I bought them, that’s $200 wasted, which I’m sure is more than the value of your ectos and powerful bloods.

That’s life, bro. You just got handed some lemons.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Real vs fake

Nerelith.7360

Let me try again!

Please read.

Thanks dakota. I don’t think people are fully reading this thread.

What you gained was use of those Items before they were made account bound which you obviously felt at the time were worth the effort. As it stands ONLY people that did the grind will have those items.

How would I feel if I saw the same item i paid 50 for… selling for 10?

I would ask " were they worth it for me at 50? yes they were or I would Not have made the purchase. Am I mad that others can now buy it for 10? No, because I derive no pain from the opportunities afforded others that I did not benefit from myself."

Do I try to convince anyone I am entitled to a refund? No… because hey that’s Life.

But I learn. THIS merchant MAY take something I pay dearly for, and In time…reduce the price. So I can pay Huge NOW, to have it while No one else does…. or I can wait til the price drops…and get it with everyone else.

See? you lost nothing.

Real vs fake

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

I bought ones a Computer to play games when I was 10 years old. It was dam expensive i sold my He Man figures for it

now I can play those Computer games in much better quality on every 20 Euro Mobile whith a 3 Color Display which gives me one more color as my first computer…

So u see we all waste sometimes time and effort

u will survive