Realistic Expectations for January/February

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bkpiazza.2018

bkpiazza.2018

Hey everyone,

I’ve seen a couple “wish” threads for the upcoming updates and while I do enjoy reading what everyone would like to see, I wanted to create a thread that deals with what we realistically believe will be added in the next couple months.

It has already been confirmed that we will not be getting new lands, new races, or new professions, as they want to expand on the world as it is.

On that note, what are your best, educated guesses as to what we will be seeing implemented in GW2 in the coming months…as in, how can the existing world be expanded (lore and mechanic wise) without adding the things we’ve been told wont be added.

(edited by bkpiazza.2018)

Posted by: JaironKalach.4938

JaironKalach.4938

There are only a few things I think we can see as likely:

1. The fractal improvements that were discussed.
2. A few WvW improvements, but I can’t recall if they’ve stated.
3. The PvP improvements that were stated as coming in the State of the Game.
4. A relatively complete, but high-level, listing of the things that they will be working on for the next 4 months.

I play on Maguuma
Uru Kalach (80-War)/Kalthin Leafletter (80-Rgr)/Kalfun Gai (72-Guardian)
Leader – An Unexpected Kinship (AUK)

Posted by: Febrizzio.8024

Febrizzio.8024

ok now, i start to tired waiting update news at official website…

where the official announcement about january update ?

fyi, today is 08 January 2013… and no update yet…

T_T

[Tarnished Coast]
Febrizzio Romeo, Human Guardian of [Pro Baddies]
Indonesia Player, Say Hello ^_^

bkpiazza.2018

There are only a few things I think we can see as likely:

1. The fractal improvements that were discussed.
2. A few WvW improvements, but I can’t recall if they’ve stated.
3. The PvP improvements that were stated as coming in the State of the Game.
4. A relatively complete, but high-level, listing of the things that they will be working on for the next 4 months.

hopefully there will be a good amount more than this since they are pushing the whole, “expansions worth” in january and feb….

JaironKalach.4938

I think there will be more, but since you’re asking for realistic, we only have sources for those four things, as far as I know.

And for anyone who missed it in the other thread, here’s what’s been said so far:

Hey guys,

Just to help provide some clarity on this, we’ll be releasing within the next couple of weeks a high level summary of our big plans for the first half of 2013 to help provide more transparency into our plans with the game going forward. This will include providing more details about our goals for the game, information about the stories and features that you’ll see in the Jan/Feb/March releases.

To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.

More details and specifics to come in the next couple of weeks, but I hope that helps provide some more insight into what to expect at a very high level.

I play on Maguuma

bkpiazza.2018

I think there will be more, but since you’re asking for realistic, we only have sources for those four things, as far as I know.

And for anyone who missed it in the other thread, here’s what’s been said so far:

Hey guys,

Just to help provide some clarity on this, we’ll be releasing within the next couple of weeks a high level summary of our big plans for the first half of 2013 to help provide more transparency into our plans with the game going forward. This will include providing more details about our goals for the game, information about the stories and features that you’ll see in the Jan/Feb/March releases.

To set expectations accordingly, the January release will be a relatively small release that sets the table for the stories and features we plan to roll out with the Feb/March releases and beyond. Also, there will be no new race, profession, or new region with these larger Feb/March releases. One of our major goals with these releases is making our existing world as strong as possible, ensuring there are reasons to go to all the locations in the world we’ve already built, and strengthening the core game we’ve provided. In saying this will be an expansions worth of stuff in these releases, we’re talking about the number of new features that will be rolled out across PvE, WvW, and PvP in early 2013, which usually you’d only find in an expansion for a traditional MMORPG.

More details and specifics to come in the next couple of weeks, but I hope that helps provide some more insight into what to expect at a very high level.

thanks for posting that info!

I meant more realistic guesses I suppose, as in, speculation based on what we’ve been told and how you all think the existing world can be expanded (lore and mechanic wise) without adding the things we’ve been told wont be added. (probably should have clarified more in OP)

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I wonder if the faction “wars” on certain maps will get more events (like human vs centaurs in Hrathi, or dredge and priory in Dredgehaunt). Or will it be more single or small chain events spread through out all the maps.
One thing I do hope and kinda expect (in some form, or at least start) is making Orr better/more fun overall.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Febrizzio.8024

Febrizzio.8024

Hey guys,

i already read that, for me thats not enough… i want to see official announcement on their website… T_T

[Tarnished Coast]
Febrizzio Romeo, Human Guardian of [Pro Baddies]
Indonesia Player, Say Hello ^_^

JaironKalach.4938

I meant more realistic guesses I suppose, as in, speculation based on what we’ve been told and how you all think the existing world can be expanded (lore and mechanic wise) without adding the things we’ve been told wont be added. (probably should have clarified more in OP)

Well, if that’s the case than I think the best clues are:
LinseyMurdock talking about a precursor scavenger hunt

Colin Johanson talking at the start of November about what they were currently working on.

From what I’ve seen, they seem to have a normal dev cycle of about 2-3 months. This means that what they start working on today, will make it to the players in about 2-3 months. So… I don’t expect to see: Guild Halls, Personal Instances, LFG tool. I do expect to see: Reward rebalancing for dungeons, events, etc. New system (scavenger hunt, or otherwise) for rewarding existing content.

Things I think we might see, but there is less indication: More content added in Lost Shores.

I play on Maguuma

Posted by: Chris Starflame.1023

Chris Starflame.1023

I’m still holding out for a new jp.

“Fire the gun, Cobiah”
“Physics will do the rest.”

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

I wonder if the faction “wars” on certain maps will get more events (like human vs centaurs in Hrathi, or dredge and priory in Dredgehaunt). Or will it be more single or small chain events spread through out all the maps.
One thing I do hope and kinda expect (in some form, or at least start) is making Orr better/more fun overall.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Esorono.1039

Esorono.1039

Hey guys,

So no playable tengu until at least April? I feel sad now, excuse me while I go eat icecream in pajamas while crying and watching soap operas.

Playable Tengu please!

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

1. Fractal improvements that were announced.

From there go in with low expectations, that way you won’t be as disappointed.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I will forgive them for everything ever ever ever if they just make one change. I won’t even care if they don’t add anymore content like they said they would.

• Players receive level appropriate drops at all times. Downscaling has been fixed to where mobs are challenging no matter how far a player is downscaled, and mob AI has been updated so that lower level mobs will use more advanced tactics and abilities on downscaled players.

It’s about time they kept their promise about every zone being an end-game zone, that was one of the principal things that attracted me to GW2, and so far it’s been patently false. You don’t have to be more than 20 levels ahead of an area before you can 1-2 shot nearly every mob in it.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Iehova.9518

Iehova.9518

Just because they were announced, doesn’t mean they’ll follow through.

As Izzy said, “We PLAN to ship…”.

Rev up your disappointment.

Posted by: pencapchew.5432

pencapchew.5432

I would like to see Anet pull the whole new gear thing out of FOTM. Add that stuff to Orr as well. Not everyone likes dungeons in GW2. ( I normally love a good dungeon run but dungeons in this game are a turn off) Also add the scavenger hunt to Orr/Fostgorge/Karka Island.

Back off the DR somewhat and make the game world viable again. Thats all. I don’t care about new continents or races or professions.

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

Not much actually. A few bug fixes and some other way of getting ascended gear possibly, but all in all I’m not expecting to have much more. High hopes lead to disappointment.

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

January

The frameworks for the Feb / March will be implemented:

• Items unique to the regions they are in, for the precursor scavanger hunt, as well as for a Nic-style daily (based on CJ’s comment on making it worth going back). Scaling will become harsher.
  • WvW and open-world will have Ascended gear for BoH. BoH may have an overhaul.

Feb

*WvW progression will be implemented and be the majority of the update:

• Some sort of Guild progression i.e. Additional ‘Art of War’ upgrades will require certain guild rankings, gained through completing objectives as a guild, unlockable siege weapons exclusive to guilds ect.
  • Some sort of Personal progression i.e. Becomes cheaper to purchase upgrades, can carry more supply, ect.
  • More titles and WvW achievements to reflect personal progression.

March

March will hold mostly PvE content:

• Precursor hunt will be implemented.
  • More fractals will be added.
  • Revamped dungeon mechanics will be added.
  • Lost Shore will be added to, paving the way for Bubbles to be revealed. Lost Shore will be the home of Bubble’s leiutenant fight.
  • Possibly some sort of storyline leading to the opening of the Domain of Four Winds in the latter part of March.

Misc

• Possibly new weapon and skills implemented. I wouldn’t hold my breath for customisable weapon skills though, no matter how much some of us hope.
  • SPvP will be added to (although I don’t follow it, so I couldn’t speculate what).
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

i already read that, for me thats not enough… i want to see official announcement on their website… T_T

This official forum is part of the website.

ColinJohnson works for Anet.

I don’t see them putting “announcing an announcement” on the website’s front page.

Rajani Isa.6294

I don’t see them putting “announcing an announcement” on the website’s front page.

Rajani Isa.6294

January

• Items unique to the regions they are in, for the precursor scavanger hunt, as well as for a Nic-style daily (based on CJ’s comment on making it worth going back). Scaling will become harsher.

Feb

• Some sort of Guild progression i.e. Additional ‘Art of War’ upgrades will require certain guild rankings, gained through completing objectives as a guild, unlockable siege weapons exclusive to guilds ect.
  • Some sort of Personal progression i.e. Becomes cheaper to purchase upgrades, can carry more supply, ect.

March

• Lost Shore will be added to, paving the way for Bubbles to be revealed. Lost Shore will be the home of Bubble’s leiutenant fight.
  • Possibly some sort of storyline leading to the opening of the Domain of Four Winds in the latter part of March.

Misc

• Possibly new weapon and skills implemented. I wouldn’t hold my breath for customisable weapon skills though, no matter how much some of us hope.
  • SPvP will be added to (although I don’t follow it, so I couldn’t speculate what).

Guessing this is just a wish list?

Rajani Isa.6294

January

Feb

March

Misc

Rajani Isa.6294

January

Feb

March

Misc

Rajani Isa.6294

January

Feb

March

Misc

Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

I just want two realistic things to occur jan/feb.

I want my class miss/trait problems to be fixed allowing me the ability to play PVE again. (engineer)

I want loot to be fixed so rewards drop from event chests like they should, they drop from veterans and champs like they should globally, and that DR starts in 1 hour into farming. 1 hour would prevent bots on automode from getting anything and would allow the legit farmers to continue their funtime.

It’s really not too much I don’t think.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Not really:

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Something for me to do. As of now there’s not a single reason for me to log in.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Urthona.3198

Urthona.3198

It’s been confirmed that the precursor scavenger hunt won’t be out this month but I don’t think it’s out of the question to see it by February or March. And I think we’ll probably see the promised FotM, PVP, and WvW improvements by then.

Some things I think are realistic possibilities that haven’t been confirmed:

• Alternate ways to get ascended gear
  • New ascended slots (i.e., amulets or weapons)
  • Some sort of wardrobe feature, or at least a way to store costumes outside of the bank. There’s no way they’ll eliminate the need for transmutation stones that cost gems, but an improved interface might boost their sales enough to warrant an overhaul.
  • Quality of life changes for guilds. Not something as big as guild halls, probably, but basic stuff like a “last online” indicator in the members list.

(edited by Urthona.3198)

Posted by: Xae.7204

Xae.7204

Thief, Guardian and Warrior buffs.

Necro, Ranger and Engineer Nerfs.

Posted by: Derk.3189

Derk.3189

I expect the patch to break more things in the game, and Giver’s items will still not be fixed.

Posted by: Rainu.6871

Rainu.6871

Realistic expectations? A bunch if tooltip fixes and changes to underwater skills. Oh, and better throw in some new bugs as well and maybe a handfuls of nerfs. I’d love to be proven wrong.

Posted by: TheSaint.8072

TheSaint.8072

-Dual spec
-bug fix
-Features for guilds that makes guild useful except chatting
-Dungeon improvement.. with better fights and less HP (for mobs)
-WvWvW rewamp.

All Life end in Death, and Death…is only the beginning…

Posted by: Shadestrike.4372

Shadestrike.4372

I expect a host of class bug fixes (Necromancer minion fix was stated to be in testing two days ago) for the january update. And that’s really all I want right now.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I dunno about everyone else but when they say “an expansions worth of content updates”, i kinda expect an expansion worth of content updates…

Not a DLC sized update an expansion, sure we aren’t getting new maps and classes, but those updates should be huge in my opinion..

Personally think they shouldn’t quote stuff if they cannot do it..realistically or not..

Realistically i want open world fixes, loot, gear, weapons, skins, reasons to do it, i’m done with PvP and Dungeons personally, especially FotM..

Class balances, Engineer, Ranger and Necro need to be on par with the rest of the overpowered classes like warrior, mesmer, guardian and thief…at this time the classes are worlds apart..

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Eirik.9145

Eirik.9145

Realistic additions?

Hmm, there goes bug fixes out the window. Still having bugs that existed in beta kind of shows that bug fixing isn’t really high on the priority list.

My guess is more “special events” which by definition must have tie-ins to the cash shop, and must have some kind of item for sale which has a ridiculously low chance of giving buyers a wanted item on the end of the carrot stick. (ie pixelated scratch-off lottery tickets only with much, much lower paybacks) It’s a little less subtle than coming out and saying “Give us your real money for some in-game gold that you can gamble away”

More items released in these “special events” that have obviously not been tested in the least prior to going live. (ie recipes that don’t teach you the proper pattern, and when said recipe is fixed days later, the items created from the recipe don’t function properly.)

More mass bannings for people doing things Anet released intentionally, but since they did no testing beforehand, the things are considered exploits retroactively.

Like others have stated, more things will be broken when new patches are applied to fix things, which will also be broken again shortly thereafter.

More changes to FotM, including subliminal messaging telling players that “they must run this dungeon over and over endlessly and ignore any other problems the game has” This will make things much simpler and maybe they can even throw in another random fractal now and then if players comply.

Note:
No sarcasm was harmed in the creation of this post. All sarcasm is treated with the utmost respect and dignity, and all applicable laws and regulations with the regard to it’s treatment are followed, almost always.

Posted by: Kain Nosgoth.4218

Kain Nosgoth.4218

“It’s been confirmed that the precursor scavenger hunt won’t be out this month” – confirmed WHEN, WHERE and by WHO?

Just beacuase. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z2Z23SAFVA
AFL – Away From Life. // I admit to being a bad person.
Character specific key binds…yesterday if possible. Thank you.

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

“Players receive level appropriate drops at all times. Downscaling has been fixed to where mobs are challenging no matter how far a player is downscaled, and mob AI has been updated so that lower level mobs will use more advanced tactics and abilities on downscaled players.”

Translation: mobs with more cc effects like pulls and knockdowns making it impossible to fight back and thus unfun. Hopefully I am wrong and they are not going to Orr-ify the low level zones.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I see my dungeon tokens now have a “Deposit to Collectibles” option but it’s grayed out.

More bank space incoming – yay!

Posted by: Angelus.1042

Angelus.1042

fix the kittening camera…

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

“It’s been confirmed that the precursor scavenger hunt won’t be out this month” – confirmed WHEN, WHERE and by WHO?

When

About a week ago.

Where

On these forums.

By Who

By Colin.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Where-s-the-Scavenger-Hunt-post/first#post1190541

(edited by ASB.4295)

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

Realisticly speaking January update will be like a pre-patch for the february one. It will setup most of the stuff that ANet wants to implement/change.

What I would like to see?

- Fix (remove) DR
- All champs/vets should drop something and rarity dependant on level
- Make Orr more enjoyable to roam through. I don’t mind it, however, there are many that struggle and/or are annoyed by its concept/gameplay.
- Rotate W3 server colours each week

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: DanteZero.9736

DanteZero.9736

My guess (to put it vaguely):

• Fractal improvements (dead obvious, I know)
  • Bug fixes across multiple areas and events
  • Bug fixes for various skills and traits
  • Terrain fixes for dungeons and explorable areas
  • MAYBE adding in some NPCs that will become relevant to Feb/Mar. events
  • MAYBE adding some new static objects (such as houses, tents, huts, etc) related to Feb/Mar. events

Posted by: Kite.2510

Kite.2510

Lets see…

• Buffing of the Engineer class.
  • Mentioned improvements on fractals.
  • Mentioned Server guesting.
  • Rebalancing and change of mechanics in all other dungeons. Added reasons to repeat story mode.
  • Tweeking on various unpopular areas and events.
  • More events and jumping puzzles.
  • Tweeking but not redesigning of Orr.
  • Various bug fixes.
  • I don’t see them tweeking other Cities and stop focusing on LA any time soon…
…and don’t be toxic!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

21 days ago

• Players receive level appropriate drops at all times. Downscaling has been fixed to where mobs are challenging no matter how far a player is downscaled…

Yesterday

Dynamic Leveling
Attribute calculations for dynamic level scaling have been rebalanced. In general, this means weaker when adjusted down, stronger when adjusted up. Rewards when adjusted down have been increased to compensate. It is now possible to receive your own level of loot from any level of enemy."

Holy crap I was right! Even I didn’t think that was actually going to happen.

Posted by: Lafiel.9372

Lafiel.9372

At this stage and with Anet’s record with updates so far, it seems any update they throw out will break more things than it fixes. It is the series of hot fixes which gets release out very very slowly, which brings us bak to the start and i.e no actual progression.