Really? No new Halloween content? Again?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Forum bug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: mAttack.1674

mAttack.1674

yeah super disappointed, but anet has time to implement the good games for Halloween

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

I’ve been hoping for the Mad Memories thing to come back since I missed it.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Back at launch they weren’t coming out with a new map every single update. Now they’re trying to. I’d rather have that more often than a new halloween thing that I get to play for 3 weeks out of the year.

I understand what you’re saying and applaud Anet’s attempt to bring out new maps. I am skeptical that it will last. Anet has a history of trying a thing, then scrapping it and trying another thing. It’s why a lot of areas of the game feel half-done. Anet has so much potential and a lot of it is fulfilled, but everything just needs polished to make it a really great game. Festivals are part of the polish. For many people, they will see festival content and maps much more often than Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay over the life of the game.

Doesn’t really matter if it lasts, though. Let’s say they bring out six maps and it stops. It’s still six maps we didn’t have before.

Posted by: kdaddy.5431

kdaddy.5431

Back at launch they weren’t coming out with a new map every single update. Now they’re trying to. I’d rather have that more often than a new halloween thing that I get to play for 3 weeks out of the year.

I understand what you’re saying and applaud Anet’s attempt to bring out new maps. I am skeptical that it will last. Anet has a history of trying a thing, then scrapping it and trying another thing. It’s why a lot of areas of the game feel half-done. Anet has so much potential and a lot of it is fulfilled, but everything just needs polished to make it a really great game. Festivals are part of the polish. For many people, they will see festival content and maps much more often than Bloodstone Fen or Ember Bay over the life of the game.

I agree with your 1st comment and this one.

People are still crying about the Zhaitan fight.

For me personally it sucks when the content that everyone can enjoy falls flat on its face. Raids have been the focus and they are good but alot of people dont get to enjoy them because it takes 10-coordinated people with decent mechanics/gear to get wings done.

Here we have a event everyone use to enjoy and event though its became less and less over the years it still had something fun. The Mad King the first year then the Blood Prince.

Currently Anet has said oh well dont care, go farm and i myself feel done after 2 days.

Posted by: TheThinker.8461

TheThinker.8461

• Reaper’s Rumble 2012—2012
  • Kryta Scavenger Hunt for Mad Memoires 2012—2012
  • Lunatic Inquisition 2012—2014
  • Resealing Bloody Prince Thorn story instance 2013—2014
  • Ascent to Madness 2012—2012, 2015-….

Exactly. It really wouldn’t take that much to bring back some of that content.

It also wouldn’t have been all that hard to, say, retire titles that were earned way-back-when and replace them with cool new challenges/titles. Instead, the boring got even more boring. The few things that left … nerfed…

It would have been really nice to see Mordremoth’s henchmen being killed by plasma-induced-Halloween-pumpkins in Lion’s Arch, or really, just some new stuff like – cool awards and achievements, maybe some new “killer”-skins (pun intended) and weapons, or better yet, building off of the Mad King’s dysfunctional family…

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I don`t mind recycling.
Halloween 2012 was an event. Something to be excited about.
Halloween 2013 was a step backwards, but it added to the experience

I agree with much of what you say, but at least in 2013 there was a new story (Bloody Prince). On top of that, his outfit was sold at the Gem Shop (I bought one). Then, he’s never to be seen again, so most current players have no idea who he is.

I have to say, I am disappointed with this years event.

He’s been there to fight every year since, just not this year. So this year we have less Halloween content.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

He’s been there to fight every year since, just not this year. So this year we have less Halloween content.

According to the chart on the wiki, every year has been missing 2 events except the first year… so 2013-2016 has had an equal amount of activities: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween

As far as new content, it’s all new to me! Every year except this one I was taking a break from the game ‘round this time. For the rest of ya’, sorry there’s nothing new to you, but I hope y’all can find some enjoyment. I think it’s a nice change of pace to my usual evening/weekend activities.

~EW

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

According to the chart on the wiki, every year has been missing 2 events except the first year… so 2013-2016 has had an equal amount of activities: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Halloween

As far as new content, it’s all new to me! Every year except this one I was taking a break from the game ‘round this time. For the rest of ya’, sorry there’s nothing new to you, but I hope y’all can find some enjoyment. I think it’s a nice change of pace to my usual evening/weekend activities.

~EW

In fairness there really isn’t anything wrong with this year’s Halloween Vs last year beyond the insane prices. People forget the complaints against Lunatic Inquistion and some of the problems it had. It wasn’t as popular as many lead you to believe (not that I am not saying people didn’t enjoy it, but a lot hated it as well). Reapers Rumble I don’t even remember it was so long ago.

The only other exclusion appears to be a widespread number of doors in the open world. They were a nice touch for spreading Halloween outside of LA, but added nothing else and probably weren’t really used a lot vs what the Labyrinth offered.

So whilst it isn’t the strongest Halloween ever, it’s hardly the unmitigated disaster many have made it out to be. Hopefully Anet will actually take on board some of the feedback about grind and fixing the Lunatic Inquisition so it is ready for next year.

(edited by Randulf.7614)

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

I wouldn’t mind some OLD Halloween content. Remember the Mad Memoirs book and the quests you had to do to get it? Bring that back anet. It was a really good bit of lore to boot.

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

In fairness there really isn’t anything wrong with this year’s Halloween beyond the insane prices.

[…]

So whilst it isn’t the strongest Halloween ever, it’s hardly the unmitigated disaster many have made it out to be. Hopefully Anet will actually take on board some of the feedback about grind and fixing the Lunatic Inquisition so it is ready for next year.

I’ve heard of a quest of the first year Halloween rewarding you with an unique shield (looks like a book?). Things like that wouldn’t take too long to implement – 1 or 2 quests a year for Halloween and Wintersday should be possible. New quest every year, new reward every year should help a little to get out of a rut.

In general, I still can’t believe that they have to abandon everything else in order to step up with the expansion. At least, it’s not good to do so. Every time something’s been scrapped or abandoned, people will say: It’s because of the new expansion.

Everytime we’ll hear that, our expactations will rise – because we sacrificed so much to get it.

And if our expectations are too high, we will be disappointed again with the new expansion.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There was a quest in the first year for a back item yes. It was fun and yes it is a shame it never returned, but it didn’t return the last 2 times, so it seemed clear they had dropped it. I’m not defending that they should have done that, but there was zero expectation this year it would return.

Posted by: Shaaba.5672

Shaaba.5672

~EW

That’s a little deceiving. It doesn’t take into account the living story aspect of it, which is completely missing this year if I’m not mistaken. Also, there have been a few other BLC related prizes – armor/weapons the first year and lottery another. For one year (maybe only the first) you could buy temporary Halloween skins to get in the spirit. The haunted doors used to be the only way to get into the Mad King’s Realm, so it’s kind of disheartening to see they spawn less in open world. It was just fun to come across them. Also I am not discounting the general atmosphere. There used to be children running around LA taking your candy corn. The decorations in old LA fit the city better and were spookier – more pumpkins and twisted trees, corn stalks, etc. Now it’s all sanitized with candy corn littering the place like a childrens’ party.

So yeah, it’s not just the activity count, it’s the heart of the event. It’s gone, I tell you. So the question is, as another poster above me pointed out, do we sacrifice what we fell in love with the game for in the first place for promises of an expansion? I’m just not sure at this point. So many half-hearted ideas in this game that just need a little love and attention to make them great. I am absolutely willing to sacrifice a few new LW maps to free up some resources to make what we do have shine.

(edited by Shaaba.5672)

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

This is my first Halloween in GW2. In all other games I have played, I have fully participated in the festival activities and get most, if not all, the rewards there are to get. I don’t feel so inspired for GW2’s Halloween festival. Where are mini-games and questlines? Stuff we can do solo in our own time? And I just don’t get a Halloween feeling in the game- there is no Halloween atmosphere save some candy corns strewn around LA. And the rewards, seem unobtainable, they are so expensive, or so rare.

It’s a real disappointment for me.

Posted by: slamb.4781

slamb.4781

LOL i love all the white knights defending A-Net.
Before you get triggered just take a step back and think about it for a few seconds. Any other business that continuously under delivers and over promises would not be as easily forgiven but the problem is that a large proportion of the GW2 community are so quick to swallow up what ever they a given even when it’s the same old candy coated kitten that Mike O’Brien only knows how to serve. Maybe he should re-watch his own manifesto…….

I’m sure A-Net make enough in gem sales in one week to pay a few dev’s yearly salaries just to handle Holiday and special event content. But why when they can give us the same old kitten they did last year.

Sir Kitty Litter
[QOP] Quaggan Op – Guild Leader

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

What Na said. Producing new content for a once a year festival is a wasteful use of resources, considering they have LS3 and an expansion to work on.

I disagree. If Anet put more festivals together, it wouldn’t have to pour so much effort into getting The (IMO tedious, one-dimensional and confusing, now that lots of it is hidden away in Raids) Living Story out so often.

I remember vanilla WoW had festivals very often and they repeated them each year. It worked brilliantly and kept people interested because although the content was the same every year, it was different every few weeks.

Regarding this year’s new stuff, I’m actually impressed that there’s so much. IMO the cost of some items is extortionate, however.
http://dulfy.net/2016/10/18/gw2-halloween-2016-festival-guide/

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

(edited by Svarty.8019)

Posted by: finkle.9513

finkle.9513

Im sure they are all to busy making new Christmas content … lol

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m sure they aren’t. Festivals should require very little dev time, with the exception of a few new drops. Let them focus the effort toward the LS, the next raid and the next expansion.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Anet has outright stated that their approach to festival events in GW2 is to essentially reuse the same basic “core” while basically only adding new rewards. Its an easy way to give players something different to do once in a while without devoting a lot of resources to it. I imagine that line of thinking has only been reinforced now that regular expansions are going to be a “thing”. It wasn’t just specific to HoT, it was a general statement.

You’re free to disagree with that line of thinking and hope for new content, naturally. But you shouldn’t actually expect anything.

Posted by: Drakz.7051

Drakz.7051

It is the same as the year before and if I remember the year before that. They seem to be doing the same mistake as they have before of focusing on one aspect of their game and the rest of it kinda just trails behind, the new LS 3 is enjoyable but doesn’t last me even half the time til the next one is released.

Shame as I was hoping to see what new fun stuff halloween would bring and not just another excuse to push out more Blc skins

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

Festivals should require very little dev time, with the exception of a few new drops. Let them focus the effort toward the LS, the next raid and the next expansion.

The whole effort towards the expansion won’t help them if there’s no one left to play. exaggerated

They let the players wait for HoT. Release -> disappointment among the players. Parts of it are still missing and now they expect the players to wait again for the next expansion?

You can’t keep a game running if you sacrifice everything else year after year – in order to make a new expansion. Do they really expect us to stay interested in GW2 if they constantly use an expansion as an excuse for the lack of new content?

Posted by: thewaterguy.4796

thewaterguy.4796

Yeah mark me down for being pretty kitten kittened off about this, we haven’t seen new proper halloween content in…2 years now, the year before HoT we got basically nothing new, then the year of HoT we got again, basically nothing new, and now the third year in a bloody row? And you don’t have the excuse of HoT anymore its out now

Too make matters worse its not even recycling the same content, SO much has been cut, where is Lunatic Inquisition? Where are the other earlier gamemodes? Also what happened to Bloody Prince Thorn? I would much rather have the next LWS3 patch deal with him as opposed to the dragons, both him and his father are much more interesting