Really sick of the time-gated grind

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

All of the events must be done within a few weeks and I am really getting tired of it. There is very little new explore or and story content. Instead, almost everything except the Southsun map since October has been limited time events with the grind for candy, skins, tokens, sprockets, luck, treasure, etcetera. Limited time events are becoming so large that both lag and the need to loot first are driving the fun out of the game. It just isn’t casual gaming anymore.

(edited by Anchoku.8142)

Posted by: clint.5681

clint.5681

Yeah i know that feel, i didnt play for almost a year and missed everything. This game is basically the same as it was in headstart.

Rangir Dangir – Ranger | Mr. Ragr- Guardian| Sneak Stab – Thief | Mr. Ragir- Warrior
[url=https://] [/url]

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

or the illiterate: you are an entitled brat wanting everything for free!!!

Oceanic [LOD]

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

Time gating is what keeps grind in check. If it weren’t there then people who have more time and money than everyone else would get their gear long before everyone else. Basically, the complaints would be far more numerous. As for the grind itself, it’s there for people who have too much time on their hands. It’s similar to gold sinks such as 20 slot bag runes, cultural armor, gem store items, and the commander tag. They’re meant for people with too much money in their hands. When you look at things from a different perspective it all makes sense.

Posted by: Phoenix.7845

Phoenix.7845

Time gating is what keeps grind in check. If it weren’t there then people who have more time and money than everyone else would get their gear long before everyone else.

They already did.

Posted by: Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Dommmmmmmmmm.6984

Judging from this https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/september-17-2013/ there doesn’t seem to be any temporary content at all with this upcoming update. This could be the first step in the right direction, or a huge let down when they go back to the temporary formula again in 2 weeks.

Posted by: Sxalpha.5063

Sxalpha.5063

hi Dommmmmmmmmm!!!!!

but on topic, the content indeed stays for a very long time. One month is more than enough to try this content, if you like it, you should spend more time on it.

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Time gating is what keeps grind in check.

Absolutely false.

Limiting the amout of effort to achieve the maximum award and diminishing return on grinding beyond it is what keeps the grind in check. The reward structure for post-game and living world has been continuously increased while relative payoff for completing story and world exploration has not changed much; in some cases, increased (gold), and in other cases decreased (karma). However, rewards for farming LS events are substantial awarding more of everything along with tradable materials.

I understand why luck was changed but that has driven players toward a farming grind, which was supposed to be secondary after the actual story. I like that ascended recipes are being released but the higher material cost is also encouraging a farming grind. Niether of these things are bad in my book but they come after a blitz of limited time event grinding.

How many game currencies and limited-availability event items are necessary? The game is becoming a grinder’s paradise and that usually leads to RMT. I want more story, more map with a lot less limited time to explore them and grind for limited materials, gold, etc.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I understand why timegates exist. The one for ascended is not that bad either.

I don’t like them in general due to they tend to encourage a checklist mindset. This takes the enjoyment out of just playing the game.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Olba.5376

Olba.5376

All of the events must be done within a few weeks and I am really getting tired of it. There is very little new explore or and story content. Instead, almost everything except the Southsun map since October has been limited time events with the grind for candy, skins, tokens, sprockets, luck, treasure, etcetera. Limited time events are becoming so large that both lag and the need to loot first are driving the fun out of the game. It just isn’t casual gaming anymore.

Well the thing is, you cannot just give people a new area. You have to make it relevant. Remember how people complained that Southsun Cove was a waste of space because it had nothing once the event ended?

And let’s be honest, new zones are very problematic from a PR standpoint. Because currently, there’s an absolutely vast amount of GW1 related areas that are, in some cases, even named on the map. So every time you release a new area, it’s going to be expected to relate to GW1. If it doesn’t, everyone hates it. If it does, it’ll get flak from the people who have another zone they would rather see.

Tell me, why do you need to do all the stuff in the Living Story? Why can’t it just be a change of air for you? Is it because you’re in the competition for the AP? Is it because you want to gather all the limited skins? Is it because you feel that you have to complete all the new content? Because all of those are problems with you, not the game. Nothing the devs can do to fix it. Well, they can take away the AP and the rewards, but that’ll cut down a lot of the participation in Living Story. And let’s be honest, while there are tons of people who do it for the rewards, there’s also tons of people for whom the rewards are just good enough to be the tipping point to get them into doing it. And that last part is why the rewards are in place.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

As I’ve said a dozen times, the Living World was a bad concept with an even worse execution. Flavor-of-the-month style time-gated temporary content does absolutely nothing good for the game – it results in the world’s stagnation as players grow tired of bothering trying to keep up and end up checking out of the game permanently. And after a full year of having furious development schedules, what does the game have to show for it? A single half-zone and a modest amount of polish, and maybe a few holiday festivals they can re-use.

I’m hoping they’re starting to finally realize how misguided this whole past year has been and will just quietly transition into a more normal MMO content release style with an emphasis on permanent changes and new zones and dungeons to explore, skins/skills, etc.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Time gating is what keeps grind in check. If it weren’t there then people who have more time and money than everyone else would get their gear long before everyone else. Basically, the complaints would be far more numerous. As for the grind itself, it’s there for people who have too much time on their hands. It’s similar to gold sinks such as 20 slot bag runes, cultural armor, gem store items, and the commander tag. They’re meant for people with too much money in their hands. When you look at things from a different perspective it all makes sense.

People with more (ingame) money still get there gear faster and it is no problem that people with more time get it faster.

Besides that, with the temporary stuff people with less time might miss out totally on some of the gear.

“the commander tag” WAS there for people who wanted to command a group.. like guild-leaders. By now so many people have it that it became useless but that was what is was for. You could get that 100 gold together pretty easy if you worked together with a guild and else it used to be very hard to get it.

So it does not make sense. And it is also very bad game design. Time gated and temporary content is not something you want in your game it destroys your game.

The only way it does make sense is from a marketing viewpoint when you want to make money fast and have no long-term goal. It will get people to log in and buy gems until they get burned out buy the game. Even if the game misses content that keeps people playing (end-content) then time-gated and temporary content will get people to log in and buy gems for some time.

Personally I see MMORPG’s as long term games so then this sort of content is bad. But maybe investors see MMORPS’s more and more and short time money makers.