Reason why Competition is a MUST

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

in time, once we gain max lvl, become good in pvp, and even participate in events, we begin to get bored. as we become bored, or even if we dont become bored, regardless, we question why we play this game. that goes for anything you may do in life, in due time, you begin to question your motives and reasons behind your actions. one never mindlessly continues to repeat the same daily routines without a motive. for this very reason is why a competitive nature is a must. a competitive game can keep the game alive for a while, without a problem, as the game takes advantage of this, they begin to save up for content and other things while a player is caught up or addicted in the game.

that being said, i understand that a competitive nature will change the community quite a bit, but think about it. what type of community do we have? from a player that has been playing from lvl1-80 i can tell you that whenever some1 goes to an instance/dungeon, if your not with ur guild, lol you better fit the part they need in the party or your gone, funny enough, its taken so seriously over the garbage you loot from the instances. in the end of the day, regardless of how much the developers make it competitive or not, there will always be a need to do something in record time and for maximum profit. what else do you have in GW2 for the PVE world? events, and field bosses…..for that you just walk in and do it, and there will be a lot of others doing the same thing, a party is not required, therefore regardless of the competitive nature, this aspect will not be affected unless the developers would change the way we do events/field bosses.

lets move on to SPVP, if it was anywhere near competitive we would actually feel satisfied with our progress in the long run. yes we like to own in pvp, thats nice, but what then? whats the point in the long run? there is none. from what i see SPVP doesnt get any money and always stays the same, besides your usual balance updates and trait updates, but whats so bad about getting a monthly map? or new weapons? or new pvp modes? yes its nice always having to capture a point…..but what about a flag? or just kills? why not make a mode thats based on kills instead of caps? keep the cap game lol, but add more game modes. the environment wont change lol, people will still not party with bad players, other will go join games randomly, while others focus on 1vs1 or 2vs2. it wont change, the atmosphere, believe it or not, wont change, except that you will have A LOT more people trying to improve and wanting to win, giving them, and yourself motive to continue playing and beating other teams/players.

at the end of the day, adding motive to the things you do is what makes you want to repeat the same thing over and over….yes gettign rich for a legendary is cute…..and accessories, but like i said, in the end of the day, thats not enough motive to continue. even if you get all the legendary weapons and accessories, yes yes im sure you can name things to do, but lol like i said, no real motive, just meaningless and uninteresting shores with no core value.

you cant respond by stating something based on “feeling” plz dont. if you will respond, respond by stating your real opinion after you read this, i dont want simple thinking. no dont try to hide lack of thought with good grammar and vocabulary. try to give a relevant comment(s).

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

It’s a game, what does it mean in the long run? Nothing.

It’s meant for your enjoyment. If you can’t find enjoyment from the big things, look at all the little things. I’ve been 80 on my one char for about 8 months now and I’m still enjoying the game.

Adry.7512

It’s a game, what does it mean in the long run? Nothing.

It’s meant for your enjoyment. If you can’t find enjoyment from the big things, look at all the little things. I’ve been 80 on my one char for about 8 months now and I’m still enjoying the game.

a game is a game? no man ur wrong, a game has several things that makes you wana keep playing. depending on the genre, there plentyyy of things. like i said b4, dont give a comment unless its actually thoughtful, plz.

(edited by Adry.7512)

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

a game is a game? no man ur wrong, a game has several things that makes you wana keep playing. depending on the genre, there plentyyy and of thing. like i said b4, dont give a comment unless its actually thoughtful, plz.

So in other words, don’t reply if you don’t agree with me?

He isn’t wrong, in fact he made an excellent point.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

like i said b4, dont give a comment unless its actually thoughtful, plz.

Ok. Competition between players is far from being a must in PvE, more often than not it’s detrimental to the game. I also won’t bother reading your post, considering how you didn’t even bother to try to write in something slightly similar to English. Have a good day!

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Adry.7512

Ok. Competition between players is far from being a must in PvE, more often than not it’s detrimental to the game. I also won’t bother reading your post, considering how you didn’t even bother to try to write in something slightly similar to English. Have a good day!

what an angry child, you werent even able to say anything thoughtful, even on ur second try……speakin solely on PVE too? how silly of u.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Written in leetspeak. The irony.

Adry.7512

Written in leetspeak. The irony.

ohhh the irony ohhh the irony ohhh woe is me, LOL. plz keep the comments relevant and worthwhile.

Esplen.3940

Look, Adry, if the game bores you and you can’t deal with the endgame here, there are plenty of other games where they have the endgame that you want. Just please stop trying to force this game into those other games when they already exist. We don’t need MMO’s to all be carbon copies of each other.

Esplen.3940

Look, Adry, if the game bores you and you can’t deal with the endgame here, there are plenty of other games where they have the endgame that you want. Just please stop trying to force this game into those other games when they already exist. We don’t need MMO’s to all be carbon copies of each other.

Endgame doesn’t mean, or have to mean, the exact same endgame as found in other games. There is plenty of room for progression mechanics in GW2 that do not have to revolve around what has come before.

GW2 is an MMO…does that mean it’s the exact same as every other MMO?

With what you’ve said in mind. I highly urge you to read through the OP’s OP and then come back.

Posted by: zabriel.4852

zabriel.4852

wheres the anet mods when your need them? this post probably has violated the forum guidelines. Delete this….

Zabriel Dusk

Adry.7512

Endgame doesn’t mean, or have to mean, the exact same endgame as found in other games. There is plenty of room for progression mechanics in GW2 that do not have to revolve around what has come before.

GW2 is an MMO…does that mean it’s the exact same as every other MMO?

With what you’ve said in mind. I highly urge you to read through the OP’s OP and then come back.

And with what you have said in mind, I suggest that it would be better to discuss different forms of endgame progression than to tell people to leave if they do not like it. I have done so in other threads, and don’t feel like rehashing my posts here.

^ agree 100%

its like some1 saying heyyy u dont like starving to death? pfff i dont mind, jsut leave the country, dont bother changing a thingggg. its a losing mindset to talk that way.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I’m…. not exactly sure what this has to do with GuildWars2…

It all reads very tangentially focused at best, and coincidentally looks completely based on “feel” and subjectiveness

Posted by: CobaltSixty.1542

CobaltSixty.1542

It certainly helps. It can be pretty difficult to read your kitten speak.

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

It all reads very tangentially focused at best, and coincidentally looks completely based on “feel” and subjectiveness

like i said keep it thoughtful and meaningful, adding good vocabulary doesnt give your thoughts any meaning.

If you expect to be taken seriously, yes it absolutely gives your thoughts meaning.

Adry.7512

like i said keep it thoughtful and meaningful, adding good vocabulary doesnt give your thoughts any meaning.

If you expect to be taken seriously, yes it absolutely gives your thoughts meaning.

no it doesnt, if you would have taken at least college writing you would understand that a bunch of sentences with good vocabulary isnt a meaningful one and its looked down upon. a lot of people mask their lack of thought with good vocab. dont expect me to sit here and give proper grammar and sentence structure, but at least u can see that what i say has thought and meaning into it. unlike….everything i been reading. could u guys stay on the subject please?

Posted by: Celestina.2894

Celestina.2894

no it doesnt, if you would have taken at least college writing you would understand that a bunch of sentences with good vocabulary isnt a meaningful one and its looked down upon. a lot of people mask their lack of thought with good vocab. dont expect me to sit here and give proper grammar and sentence structure, but at least u can see that what i say has thought and meaning into it. unlike….everything i been reading. could u guys stay on the subject please?

So you are saying that your professors allowed you to pass using things such as “b4”?

You had some extremely laid back professors then.

Adry.7512

So you are saying that your professors allowed you to pass using things such as “b4”?

hmmmm is it possible that a lot of people with reading comprehension gathered to play GW2? plz dont mix one thing with another. like i said, i wont bother writing anything grammatically proper in a game forums lol……its silly. anyways, can we stay in the MAIN subject plz?

Esplen.3940

hmmmm is it possible that a lot of people with reading comprehension gathered to play GW2? plz dont mix one thing with another. like i said, i wont bother writing anything grammatically proper in a game forums lol……its silly. anyways, can we stay in the MAIN subject plz?

We could, if we could find it.

Trying to translate your OP, I’ll be back with it translated or on my shield.

Adry.7512

We could, if we could find it.

Trying to translate your OP, I’ll be back with it translated or on my shield.

lol ur a joke. i guess theres nothing here, but mindless trolls, o welllll.

Esplen.3940

I am back, hopefully intact (I think) and… I RETURN WITH A TRANSLATED OP!

Once we get to max level, what happens? We start to become good at PvP, participate in Events, and become bored. As we become bored (or even if we don’t get bored), we being to question why we play this game.

(That goes for anything we do in life.)

In due time, we begin to question our motives and reasons behind our actions. One never mindlessly continues to repeat the same daily routines without a motive.

This is why a competitive nature is needed. (TN1)

A competitive game keeps a game alive because without having all these problems, they can start saving up for content while the player is caught up or addicted in the game. (TN2)

That being said, I understand that a competitive nature will change the community, but think about it.

What kind of community do we have?

From a player that has played from level 1-80 (TN3), I can tell you that whenever someone goes into a dungeon, if you’re not with your guild, you better fit thepart they need or you’re gone.

Funny enough, it’s taken so seriously over the garbage you loot from the dungeons.

At the end of the day, regardless of how much the developers make it competitive or no, there will always be a need to do something in record time and for maximum profit. (TN4)

What else do you have for PvE? Events… world bosses… All you do is just walk in and do it. There will be others doing it as well, a party isn’t needed, therefore, regardless of the competitive nature, this will not be affected unless developers change the way we do events/open-world PvE.

Let’s move to sPvP.

If it was anywhere near competitive we would actually feel satisfied with our progress in the long run.

Yes, we like to own in PvP, that’s nice, but what happens after? What’s the point in the long run? There is no point!

From what I see, sPvP doesn’t get any money and always stays the same. (TN5)

Besides your standard balance updates, what’s so bad about getting a monthly map? Or new weapons? Or new PvP modes? (TN6)

Yes, it’s always nice having king of the hill, but what about other modes?

Or… just a deathmatch? Why not make a mode that’s deathmatch instead okitteng of the hill?

Keep the king of the hill, but add more game modes. The environment won’t change, people will still not party with bad players.

Others will go join games randomly, while some focus on 1v1 or 2v2.

Believe it or not, the atmosphere won’t change. Except, you’ll have A LOT more people trying to improve.

This will give them, and yourself motivation to keep playing and beating other teams/players. (TN7)

At the end of the day, adding motivation to the things you do is what makes you want to repeat the same thing over and over.

Getting rich for a legendary is cute… and [TN: shiny pretty items] accessories. But like I said, at the end of the day, that’s not going to motivate anyone. (TN8)

Even if you get all of the Legendaries and [TN: shiny pretty items] accessories, yes yes, I’m sure you can name things to do, but lol like I said, no motivation just meaningless and uninteresting chores with no core value. (TN9)

you cant respond by stating something based on “feeling” plz dont.
if you will respond, respond by stating your real opinion after you read this,
i dont want simple thinking. no dont try to hide lack of thought with good grammar and vocabulary.
try to give a relevant comment(s).

(edited by Esplen.3940)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Nice work Esplen.

Adry, if you are really trying to get a decent response from others then maybe you should temper your own responses. Otherwise you’re really just coming off as a troll yourself.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Esplen.3940

TN = Translator Note. Anything bolded in the translation are my words.

In due time, we begin to question our motives and reasons behind our actions. One never mindlessly continues to repeat the same daily routines without a motive.
This is why a competitive nature is needed. (TN1)

TN1: I’m not sure how this proves a competitive nature is needed, but okay… (I’m just translating)

A competitive game keeps a game alive because without having all these problems, they can start saving up for content while the player is caught up or addicted in the game. (TN2)

TN2: I think that’s what this means… real line is…

a competitive game can keep the game alive for a while, without a problem, as the game takes advantage of this, they begin to save up for content and other things while a player is caught up or addicted in the game.

From a player that has played from level 1-80 (TN3)

TN3: If that’s your example of experienced in this game, then I must admit, having only 100 hours isn’t really an accomplishment… it also doesn’t give you the right to flounder about on the forums saying that this game is worthless.

At the end of the day, regardless of how much the developers make it competitive or no, there will always be a need to do something in record time and for maximum profit. (TN4)

TN4: You just disproved your entire point here.

From what I see, sPvP doesn’t get any money and always stays the same. (TN5)

TN5: Custom Arena’s and Custom Arena Time don’t get them money?

Besides your standard balance updates, what’s so bad about getting a monthly map? Or new weapons? Or new PvP modes?* (TN6)*

TN6: You mean… like how it’s going right now…? (Except no new game modes.)

This will give them, and yourself motivation to keep playing and beating other teams/players. (TN7)

TN7: No, I don’t think that’s how human behavior works. Just by adding more ways of doing the same content doesn’t make people get more motivation. (See: Smite. People aren’t more motivated to play because there are more modes. There are more modes so it caters to more people. There’s a difference.)

Getting rich for a legendary is cute… and [TN: shiny pretty items] accessories. But like I said, at the end of the day, that’s not going to motivate anyone. (TN8)

TN8: So… a goal… isn’t going to motivate people?

Even if you get all of the Legendaries and [TN: shiny pretty items] accessories, yes yes, I’m sure you can name things to do, but lol like I said, no motivation just meaningless and uninteresting chores with no core value. (TN9)

TN9: This part, I could have translated, but I think kept it vanilla because it portrayed his point… just perfectly… cough.

Final TN/Summary: I really feel like this was an essay. It has an introduction (with a pseudo-thesis statement), followed by 2 body paragraphs and a conclusion. It also lists counter-evidence. I will give you credit for all of that, however, your main points are flawed and your counter-evidence was so strong that it disproved your points. Might want to work on that bit.

Hope this helps people who read this thread!

(edited by Esplen.3940)

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

So…going to wade in and give this a shot. Seriously…not trolling and not trying to be a jerk.

First, I am not quite sure from your post…comparing the text and the title…whether the point is that competition is a must for the game…a must for an player…or some other must. You say that you want people to respond with their real opinion but when they do, you say that they are irrelevant. I am not quite getting that one. All that said…

No, I am not a big fan of competition in an MMO. That is my opinion…my feeling. It is based on this. I own a business. I am up to my proverbial butt in competition all day long. My livelihood and that of my family depends on me competing successfully every single day. When I am at home playing, competition is the last thing that I want. I enjoy doing things with my guild. I like the cooperation…the sense of shared adventure and accomplishment. I have run a few dungeons with friends…same thing. I enjoy the cooperation and sense of shared accomplishment when we finish (or shared humility when we get the crap kicked out of us). I enjoy open world gaming…doing stuff that interests me at any given time or jumping in to help out others that I encounter.

So, no, for me (my opinion…my feeling) competition is not a must. I realize that others like it and I would not dare to suggest that they are wrong or that their expectation of the game is in any way less relevant than mine. We all come to the game for our own reasons.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

no it doesnt, if you would have taken at least college writing you would understand that a bunch of sentences with good vocabulary isnt a meaningful one and its looked down upon. a lot of people mask their lack of thought with good vocab.

True. On the other hand, if you do not care enough about your thoughts to organize them in a more understandable way, it shows that you are not really interested in meaningful discussion in the first place. It’s not a case of someone who writes in bad english due to not being a native speaker. You are actually making effort to make your post less understandable. This in itself is a message – a message that tells us that you do not want to be treated seriously.

you cant respond by stating something based on “feeling” plz dont

Why not? Your whole post is based on feelings after all.

at the end of the day, adding motive to the things you do is what makes you want to repeat the same thing over and over….yes gettign rich for a legendary is cute…..and accessories, but like i said, in the end of the day, thats not enough motive to continue. even if you get all the legendary weapons and accessories, yes yes im sure you can name things to do, but lol like i said, no real motive, just meaningless and uninteresting shores with no core value.

Yes, motivations are important. Competiveness might be one such motivation, but neither only one, nor for everyone.
You seek competition in your games and that competition motivates you. I chose this game because competition factor was advertised to be seriously toned down, because for me it’s something completely demotivating.

Neither approach is wrong. Neither is more right than the other. Both are contradictory. Obviously, if you get what you want from this game, it will mean that something I want will be gone. For me, what you propose is not something i’d call fun, and definitely not the direction i’d want this game to go.

Fortunately for me, truly competitive players are usually a minority even in games that are made especially for them. I can keep hoping that Anet will not decide to make this game less fun for majority of its players.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

References:

Raph Koster: A Theory of Fun for Game Design.

Richard Bartle: Bartle Test of Gamer Psychology (gamer personality types).

I’m going to agree with Raph Koster’s theory that fun is in the challenge.

Competition can add fun for some players (please see Bartle).

However, it is not a “one size fits all” solution.

Game developers understand those two “bibles” referenced above.

@ OP: Feel free to do research to expand your knowledge and understand where you fall in Bartle’s categories before trying to speak for more than yourself.

Thanks.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)