Reason why backpack sales are so low

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: dragonkain.3984

dragonkain.3984

It’s because we can’t recolor them. They simply don’t fit the armors if they have different colors and as a result nobody’s buying them judging by your backpack discounts spam lately.

And yes, I’m aware that it would need some work to teach your old game engine to recolor backpacks, but the point is, until that work is done, very few people bother to buy them. It’s that simple.

So yeah, the choice is yours a-net, either make them worth buying or enjoy low sales.

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Weapons have the same problem, really. There are so many weapon skins in the game that people would use (especially BLTC skins and legendaries) but they don’t match your look so you don’t bother using them at all.

Most of the people who buy these items do so because they’re the small niche that the look just happens to fit, or they’re doing collections.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

How do you know backpack sales are low? I see enough wings to think that those are a hot items.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you’re basing your point on sales of old items, that’s not how it goes.

You can’t say sales of an item type is low because there are sales ongoing of old items. When items come out they get the initial buyers. After they’ve been out a while the price drops to get the people who are less enthusiastic about it or who have less money. This is normal to all things. New is expensive and then there are sales on the old.

Hint: If these items didn’t sell well they wouldn’t be making more of them. They’d stop and start making something else.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Can’t speak for anyone else but I always, always, always hide the backpack on every toon. So not really any point buying a different one.

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

It’s because we can’t recolor them. They simply don’t fit the armors if they have different colors and as a result nobody’s buying them judging by your backpack discounts spam lately.

And yes, I’m aware that it would need some work to teach your old game engine to recolor backpacks, but the point is, until that work is done, very few people bother to buy them. It’s that simple.

So yeah, the choice is yours a-net, either make them worth buying or enjoy low sales.

Its not a clearance sale because nobody is buying them. That is only neccessary, if your unsold stock takes up too much storage, which isnt the case because they dont take up any.

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: dragonkain.3984

dragonkain.3984

Its not a clearance sale because nobody is buying them. That is only neccessary, if your unsold stock takes up too much storage, which isnt the case because they dont take up any.

Discounts do mean alot however, they have no reason to make discounts on hot-selling products. Yet almost all backpacks (excluding wings) get them.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Discounts do mean alot however, they have no reason to make discounts on hot-selling products. Yet almost all backpacks (excluding wings) get them.

Name a cosmetic item category in the gemstore that doesn’t have sales.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

So … if it’s not a hot selling product, it’s a low one? I mean, it could still be a good seller and go on discount; it doesn’t need to be low. I would think if it’s a low seller, it’s not because of the price, it’s because of the style. Like was mentioned, there is no inventory so lowering cost isn’t done to free up warehouse space. in fact, we don’t know the reasons why they discount items; you’re just assuming.

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

I know an Anet dev stated that its not easy for them to make backpacks dyable….

But there is a very easy solution to the problem:

Anet could introduce a new NPC that offers you to unlock the same backpiece in different colors vs a small price (could be gems too!)
So Anet themselves could just create multiple versions of each new backpiece they release
(Was thinking of : Red, Yellow ,Blue, Green, Purple, Orange, Black and White)

The gemshop wouldnt be cluttered with too many versions of each item since they are only shown at that new npc
Those other colored versions could have the tag to not be shown in wardrobe until unlocked so the Wardrobe would not be cluttered with it either

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As other people have said they have sales for all types of gem store cosmetics. Armor and outfits are probably the two most common to have sales and both of those seem to sell well (in spite of the people who refuse to buy one or the other, or both.)

I wouldn’t mind being able to dye backpacks but it’s pretty rare it puts me off buying one if I like it. (But then I have 9 characters with a different colour scheme and style on each, between them I can find someone to wear any item I like.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Kako.1930

Kako.1930

Not being able to dye them hasn’t stopped me from buying them, although every year I keep hoping they will make the wings of love a backpack as well as a glider lol. X3 I think they explained why it would be pretty hard to make them dyeable before too.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Character slots, bag slots, and copper-fed kits have been discounted more than once. I defy anyone to show evidence that these have ever sold poorly.

Discounts are offered for a variety of reason: to celebrate a festival or anniversary, to encourage people to spend RL currency on gems, to maintain a gold:gem ratio sufficient to compete with gold sellers, and to encourage people to open up the gem store and see what else they might drop some gems on.

There are plenty of reasons why it might be worth ANet’s time to add additional colors of backpacks or divert resources from new skins to make back items dyeable. We don’t need to invent reasons by claiming facts not in evidence.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Character slots, bag slots, and copper-fed kits have been discounted more than once. I defy anyone to show evidence that these have ever sold poorly.

Discounts are offered for a variety of reason: to celebrate a festival or anniversary, to encourage people to spend RL currency on gems, to maintain a gold:gem ratio sufficient to compete with gold sellers, and to encourage people to open up the gem store and see what else they might drop some gems on.

There are plenty of reasons why it might be worth ANet’s time to add additional colors of backpacks or divert resources from new skins to make back items dyeable. We don’t need to invent reasons by claiming facts not in evidence.

I’d also add – to appeal to people like me who sort-of, maybe like an item but not quite enough to justify paying full price.

All my bank tabs, character slots and shared inventory slots were bought during sales because I didn’t think they were worth full price (and in the case of shared inventory slots also using a mix of gold and real money to bring the RL price down further) and after debating over whether I actually wanted the monk outfit or not for months I finally got it because they reduced the price and it made it seem more worthwhile.

If you’re debating buying something and then the price is reduced it has a double effect – it costs less so there’s less ‘risk’ for the same reward, and it’s only for a short time so you need to get on and make your mind up. It certainly doesn’t convince everyone but I’m sure Anet have gotten more than a few additional sales that way.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Meh. So backpacks go on sale. Everything in the gem store has been on sale at one point or another.

I don’t know about anyone else, but the reason I don’t buy back items has nothing to do with inability to recolor. I’m not going to project my preferences onto anyone else, though. I’ll leave that to the OP.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

I fear you’ve missed the pattern of Anet sales for the past month or two. Quite a few items go on sale for a few days prior to them leaving the store.

For instance, on July 14th, we were told the Glittering Wings Backpack was leaving the store in seven days. On July 19th it went on sale for 20% off. Then promptly left on the 21st. Other items like Lyssa’s Regalia are currently doing the same. It’s one last chance to sell to the customer before the items are shelved.

More examples on the link below, if you’d like.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/User:Incarnazeus/Gem_Store_Watch

G R E E N E R