Red Panda poorly done

Red Panda poorly done

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Soraiah.5042

Soraiah.5042

The face looks really blurry and though the animations are cute, it just looks poorly done compared to the other minis. Are red pandas somewhere in the game? If so, it seems they simply converted these without putting any further effort to the face and fur. Really sad and I hope they rework it, at least a tiny bit.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Kitta.3657

Kitta.3657

The quality is low res, the textures are really low quality. That is highly disappointing. Please fix this before asking for money…

mouth too blunt, truth too loud

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

+1
This is REALLY qt mini and it must be improved.

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Crovax.7854

Crovax.7854

I don’t even particularly like minis, yet I would’ve bought this one immediatly until I saw how it looked. The face is really low res and the meshes (the geometry?) seems rather… polygonal.
What a shame, totally would’ve been worth 500 gems if done properly

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Anyone got a screenie? I’ll stay my hand until I see it at least

Red Panda poorly done

Crovax.7854

Anyone got a screenie? I’ll stay my hand until I see it at least

http://dulfy.net/2015/04/07/gw2-gemstore-updatebalthazars-outfit-mini-red-panda-and-moose/
Clearly a rushjob with little effort put into :/

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I like it fine. Here it is at night in DR on High settings.

Attachments:

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

To me it isn’t really a low res look so much as a hand drawn look.

It looks like it was done in pencil. Would make a great Wintersday toy mini though.

Attachments:

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Red Panda poorly done

Crovax.7854

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/gw2-mini-red-panda-2.jpg
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/gw2-mini-red-panda.jpg

The first screen shows how low res the face and, more noticably, the fur is.
The second screen shows the low poly count.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

It is just a reskin of the Rockfur Raccoon, is it not?

Pretty sure that Rocky does the whole sit up and sniff thing that is shown in the dulfy vid.

Edit:dat kitten filter

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/gw2-mini-red-panda-2.jpg
http://dulfy.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/gw2-mini-red-panda.jpg

The first screen shows how low res the face and, more noticably, the fur is.
The second screen shows the low poly count.

Ah, now that looks more low res.

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

There’re are a lot of cutesy mini pets that don’t exist in-game outside of their minipetation form… which is why I made this a while back c.c https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Anyone-think-we-need-more-ambient-critters

In other news~ I’ve never heard of a red pands and never imagined it wouldn’t look like a panda. So GW2 has given me a TIL moment. I saw it back when it was datamined though.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Red Panda poorly done

Soraiah.5042

I would not complain if all minis were of such quality. But usually they look really well done and as Crovax said, it’s not just the textures, it’s the whole appearance.
Compare it to the moose, or any other mini ingame, they look so much better because the fur has a decent texture and the faces aren’t that blurry.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

To me it isn’t really a low res look so much as a hand drawn look.

It looks like it was done in pencil. Would make a great Wintersday toy mini though.

Its widdle eyes look so fake and lifeless. Maybe it’s actually a living plushy.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m thinking of it as fuzzy, not blurry. I guess it helps that I’m very myopic so blurring of objects looks natural to me

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Pretty sure that Rocky does the whole sit up and sniff thing that is shown in the dulfy vid.

I only had it out for a couple of minutes (and then the game kicked me for maintenance reasons) and while it does have the same stand and sniff animation, I also saw a sit animation that I don’t remember seeing the raccoon do.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

I only had it out for a couple of minutes (and then the game kicked me for maintenance reasons) and while it does have the same stand and sniff animation, I also saw a sit animation that I don’t remember seeing the raccoon do.

Yep, it’s a raccoon reskin, with minor mesh modifications. Wish it had better quality textures.

I still bought it thou <.<
>.>

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

I agree there is something off with the mini quality.
Can’t exactly pin what it is.

(edited by papry.8096)

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Marge.4035

Marge.4035

I agree there is something off on the mini quality.
Can’t point exactly what it is.

It has only diffuse maps (maaaybe normals too), and even those are kinda low resolution.

No, No, No! Mummified flesh on the left! Dried bones on the right!

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

There’re are a lot of cutesy mini pets that don’t exist in-game outside of their minipetation form… which is why I made this a while back c.c https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Anyone-think-we-need-more-ambient-critters

In other news~ I’ve never heard of a red pands and never imagined it wouldn’t look like a panda. So GW2 has given me a TIL moment. I saw it back when it was datamined though.

You really have been missing out, they are adorable, and I’d buy the mini if it actually looked like one.

http://imgur.com/gallery/iwJMS

Red Panda poorly done

Soraiah.5042

I still bought it thou <.<
>.>

Same here ^^"
No matter the quality, it still is a red panda q.q and I can’t stop imagining how cute it must look if a little red panda would play with the arctic fox.

Still I hope they rework it u.u

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Rubiks.8125

Rubiks.8125

The face looks incredibly flat :P Flat panda is sad panda

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Fiennis.4387

Fiennis.4387

Disappointed. Textures are definitely not up to snuff. 350 gems. That’s about $4.40 USD. Assuming you pay for the thing.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Well it’s not the only gem store mini with low res textures. The Mini Svanir is like that too. Texture resolution on minis seems to be inconsistent are either very high or very low. Doesn’t seem to be much middle ground.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

I love the red panda, instabought it for my girlfriend, well worth it, will be getting it for myself, too.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Racoon

The racoon looks way better, and it’s much, much older.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Rusc.4978

Rusc.4978

Although it’s adorable as a whole and I love red pandas, I wasn’t particularly fond of the bouncy raccoon animation to begin with. Paying 350 gems for a low-res reskin of the same animation feels like a bit of a ripoff.

Prosper

Brought to you by ArenaNet. Soon™.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Shayne Hawke.9160

Shayne Hawke.9160

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Don’t spend money on gems, don’t spend gold on gems, don’t buy it.

If you don’t like it and still bought it anyway, then either:

• you are a terribly informed consumer and need to do your research before spending money/gold on these things, like looking at dulfy or the miniature preview window in this case;
  • you don’t understand that paying for it and speaking with your wallet matters so much more to ANet than any complaints you have after the fact which, at that point, don’t matter at all.
YT channel - GW2 Activity vids and more
Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

(edited by Shayne Hawke.9160)

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Haishao.6851

Haishao.6851

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Racoon

The racoon looks way better, and it’s much, much older.

It’s funny because they could have just recolored that texture and do very minimal change and it would have looked better.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Miss Lana.5276

Miss Lana.5276

I was wanting to preview this mini but was surprised when I couldn’t. Usually the minis that one hasn’t bought from the gemstore yet can be previewed in the hero panel, but this one wasn’t there when I checked.

I’m glad I found this thread. I would have loved to get it, but now knowing what it actually looks like has really put me off. If Anet fix it I’d snap it up in a heartbeat.

48 Characters|Necro|Raider|Fractaller|PvPer|Singer
So long Treeface.
“…Kormir? I know not of whom you speak.”

Red Panda poorly done

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it. Don’t spend money on gems, don’t spend gold on gems, don’t buy it.

• you are a terribly informed consumer and need to do your research before spending money/gold on these things, like looking at dulfy or the miniature preview window in this case;
  • you don’t understand that paying for it and speaking with your wallet matters so much more to ANet than any complaints you have after the fact which, at that point, don’t matter at all.

This rather assumes the person suspects ahead of time that there could be a problem. Since it couldn’t be previewed from the hero panel, you’re saying that people who had to buy essentially sight unseen (and seeing a small picture on dulfy isn’t good enough) and then realize after purchase that it was below standard shouldn’t complain.

Saying to wait till others find a problem doesn’t work either because, obviously, some had to buy it to find the problem and you are saying those people don’t have the right to complain.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Lady Minuit.3186

Lady Minuit.3186

I agree with op, the texture is poorly done.. the face is not so bad (the idea behind it anyway), and obviously being a reskin of the raccoon the animation is awesome, but I really think the fur texture should be reviewed (i mean who approved that to go public..).

If we compare to the raccoon, we can see its fur really detailed and smooth looking (see attachment) as opposed to the red panda where it appears compressed and pixelated.

Well if they reword the texture a bit I will buy it, but for now I think I won’t. Not worth it in my opinion… my money is worth at least a minimum of quality

Attachments:

Lady Minuit

Red Panda poorly done

Shayne Hawke.9160

people who had to buy

This is a population of zero.

Activities are dead.
Sanctum Sprint record times: any checkpoints – 39.333, all checkpoints – 1:55.633

Red Panda poorly done

Just a flesh wound.3589

people who had to buy

This is a population of zero.

Where exactly should the first people who bought this mini do their research before they buy?

The hero panel? No mini there.
A tiny picture on dulfy?

If research is impossible before they purchased it then your post makes no sense.

(And don’t chop up posts to make them say what the person didn’t intend instead of answering the main point of the post)

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Fiennis.4387

Fiennis.4387

This rather assumes the person suspects ahead of time that there could be a problem. Since it couldn’t be previewed from the hero panel, you’re saying that people who had to buy essentially sight unseen (and seeing a small picture on dulfy isn’t good enough) and then realize after purchase that it was below standard shouldn’t complain.

Saying to wait till others find a problem doesn’t work either because, obviously, some had to buy it to find the problem and you are saying those people don’t have the right to complain.

This.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Here’s an idea stop giving us junk and announce the closed beta already.

Red Panda poorly done

Shayne Hawke.9160

Where exactly should the first people who bought this mini do their research before they buy?

A tiny picture on dulfy?

If research is impossible before they purchased it then your post makes no sense.

If nobody can get a clear look at the mini without someone first buying it, then whoever first does needs to understand and accept the risk of buying something blindly, which includes accepting whatever condition it is in. Everyone else past that can gather and share information from the first wave of buyers.

The first wave accepts the risk of buying it blindly, and it is pointless to complain about what it is they’ve bought because they didn’t have to buy it and could have waited to be in the next wave of potential buyers. After the first wave, there is no longer an excuse for anyone who buys the mini to complain about not knowing what condition it was in, since they could have asked around in-game to find anyone else who had bought it first and had plenty of time to figure out what they would get.

Of course, there should be a way to preview the mini. That’s its own problem, and it not being there is still no excuse for those who paid for it blindly.

Activities are dead.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

A tiny picture on dulfy?

If nobody can get a clear look at the mini without someone first buying it, then whoever first does needs to understand and accept the risk of buying something blindly, which includes accepting whatever condition it is in. Everyone else past that can gather and share information from the first wave of buyers.

The first wave accepts the risk of buying it blindly, and it is pointless to complain about what it is they’ve bought because they didn’t have to buy it and could have waited to be in the next wave of potential buyers. After the first wave, there is no longer an excuse for anyone who buys the mini to complain about not knowing what condition it was in, since they could have asked around in-game to find anyone else who had bought it first and had plenty of time to figure out what they would get.

This shouldn’t even be a thing.

Not letting us see what we are buying before we buy it is incredibly shady, especially for something we can’t get a refund on.

Kind of shows a lack of confidence in the product, or a hope that lots of people will buy it before the general population realizes its a low quality product.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

A tiny picture on dulfy?

This shouldn’t even be a thing.

Not letting us see what we are buying before we buy it is incredibly shady, especially for something we can’t get a refund on.

Kind of shows a lack of confidence in the product, or a hope that lots of people will buy it before the general population realizes its a low quality product.

I feel like this is more of a glitch or oversight on their part rather than a “Haha, gotcha!” attempt. Up until recently they have been very good about getting finishers and minis into the preview panel the day they are released.

Now, if we have another one or two releases where this happens again, I’ll be inclined to think they are doing it on purpose…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Red Panda poorly done

Just a flesh wound.3589

A tiny picture on dulfy?

Of course, there should be a way to preview the mini. That’s its own problem, and it not being there is still no excuse for those who paid for it blindly.

Your post there, (highlighted), makes no sense as there always will be first purchasers. Saying first purchasers have no right to complain about merchandise they bought is nonsense. Even if the information on how it looks was there, people still have the right to complain if the quality is below standard but costs the same as previous, higher quality items.

Unless the item comes with a disclaimer of, “as is”, consumers always have the right to complain about purchases they decide are shoddily made.

ANet may give it to you.

Red Panda poorly done

Shayne Hawke.9160

I’d rather chalk it up to a fake commitment to polish their game, a conscious decision not to universalize a product to a system they implemented only months ago. Maybe they were busy with the expansion, maybe they were working on some other changes… It’s easier to make excuses than claim responsibility for an error.

And again, the problem of ANet not providing means to show what they’re selling is its own, and not an excuse for anyone to make their own misjudgment and purchase blindly.

Activities are dead.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Chuck.8196

Chuck.8196

Agreed. It looks bad. Anet only trying to profit of Red panda cuteness. Neither of these have a preview available in game either. They are asking for you to waste gems.

a·chieve·ment – a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill
re·ward – a thing given in recognition of one’s service, effort, or achievement
en·ti·tle·ment – the belief one is inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Victuswolf.5286

Victuswolf.5286

They call it a red panda mini when it looks nothing like a panda. Why? It looks like a fox or re-textured low res raccoon.

Was that mini made in china? It would explain the low quality and calling it a panda when it’s not :P

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: WhimsicalWalrus.9760

WhimsicalWalrus.9760

They call it a red panda mini when it looks nothing like a panda. Why? It looks like a fox or re-textured low res raccoon.

Was that mini made in china? It would explain the low quality and calling it a panda when it’s not :P

it’s based off of an actual animal that is called the red panda but looks nothing like a panda so it is quite accurate

Red Panda poorly done

Shayne Hawke.9160

Your post there, (highlighted), makes no sense as there always will be first purchasers. Saying first purchasers have no right to complain about merchandise they bought is nonsense. Even if the information on how it looks was there, people still have the right to complain if the quality is below standard but costs the same as previous, higher quality items.

Unless the item comes with a disclaimer of, “as is”, consumers always have the right to complain about purchases they decide are shoddily made.

Sure, they have the “right” to complain, but those complaints are meaningless, because despite the lack of information they had, or even knowing everything they could know about it, they still decided it was a good idea to trade their money for ANet’s product and chose to do so. If there was something about the item worth complaining about, then that should have been considered before buying the item. After doing that, either the problem is determined to be too great and the item isn’t bought, and ANet needs to do something about it if they want to sell to that person, or the problem still isn’t bad enough to not buy it, and ANet doesn’t need to do anything about those people complaining later.

Attachments:

Activities are dead.

Red Panda poorly done

Just a flesh wound.3589

Red pandas are not the same as the pandas you are thinking of.

Red panda: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_panda

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

The quality of the textures and the amount of polygons are indeed very disappointing. Hopefully Anet upgrades them

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

Seriously people, if you want quality items STOP BUYING THINGS.

Every time you say “well this isn’t very good, but I bought it anyway!” the only thing Anet sees is that you bought it.

They would sell you an untextured box as a mini so long as you bought it (and I wouldn’t put it past them to try it!).

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: DoIKnowYou.3896

DoIKnowYou.3896

I thought it was pretty good on it’s own. The cuteness of it saved it. Compared to the moose though, it’s pretty disappointing

Active Gw2 member who is ready to venture into the jungle! :)

Red Panda poorly done

Posted by: Major Domo.9250

Major Domo.9250

Summary..
1: We need a minipet-preview option.
2: I want a mini pet rock.. that only rolls when you’re not facing it.