Reduce unnecessary clicking

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

This game has so much unnecessary clicking. It would be nice to be able to play without so much risk of repetitive stress injury.

• Why do we have popups above the map for items? Aside from levels and mastery points, none of these have anything to them other than clicking on them, then clicking accept to have the loot sent to your inventory. Just put it in and save the clicks.
  • Why do we have to handle materials manually? The deposit all option is nice but is hidden behind a dropdown. Just send them strait to the bank. At least provide a toggle for this.
  • Why do we have a dropdown with 4 options in the inventory screen (behind the gear)? Just make 4 big buttons. Dropdowns should be for times when there are too many options to show. There is plenty of room.
  • Why isn’t there an option to open all containers? This shouldn’t be automatic, since you are sometimes juggling inventory space, but when you aren’t just let us open them all, or at least as much as we have room for.
  • Why isn’t there an option to salvage all salvage items? It’s fine to not have options to salvage all regular items (no good way to avoid mistakes with that), but for items whose only purpose is to be salvaged, just do it with one click.
  • Why can’t the Mystic Forge deal with items in the bank? The crafting system otherwise can do this. It makes the Forge needlessly fiddly and completely removes any kind of experimentation, since you can’t have enough in your main inventory to do so.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

• Why do we have to handle materials manually? The deposit all option is nice but is hidden behind a dropdown. Just send them straight to the bank. At least provide a toggle for this.

honestly, the only reason I’d agree with this is because I have a permanent bank contract, but I’d like all materials to instantly go to the bank, thing is I don’t see something like this happening…. then again, we do have autoloot now.

Posted by: TheShniper.1852

TheShniper.1852

If mats went to the bank right when they went into your inv then people would complain about it. I didnt realize 2 clicks was so hard….. Not trying to be a jerk but people have been complaining about dumb things lately. Bigger fish to fry then your finger doing 2 extra clicks

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

If mats went to the bank right when they went into your inv then people would complain about it. I didnt realize 2 clicks was so hard….. Not trying to be a jerk but people have been complaining about dumb things lately. Bigger fish to fry then your finger doing 2 extra clicks

“I didn’t realize 2 clicks was so hard” is a jerky way to put “I disagree with this”. But that aside, would this option affect you adversely? There is a great deal of inventory clicking in this game and anet seem to agree – since they provided the means to automate some of it. I personally would value an option to send mats to the bank automatically – I already click ‘Deposit All’ every time I pick up or salvage something and frankly it’s not adding anything to the game experience. I won’t miss not doing those two clicks. And especially when a single meta in HOT can fill up your entire inventory with loot.

Posted by: Rose Of Kali.1789

Rose Of Kali.1789

1. The reward loot boxes in the lower right… Argh! You have to click the box, WAAAAAAIT for the animation to pop it up, then click again to accept…. over and over and over! This is especially annoying when running T4 daily fractals, leveling via consumables (tomes), and other scenarios where you get a bunch of them in quick succession. You used to have to click on event karma rewards, but now they disappear automatically a few seconds after popping up. Would love the same for the loot boxes.

2. Stackable loot containers in inventory should have the “open all” option, the same way as you have “consume all” on things like luck and snowflakes. Better yet, have a button next to the inventory options cog wheel to “open all loot containers” – have the script stop once inventory is full. Also add a right-click option to fractal encryption keys to “unlock all encryptions” in one click.

3. Would love options to send all materials to bank automatically. Even more I would love to be able to choose by vault tab (common, fine, rare, gemstones, cooking mats, etc.) – on each tab put a check box that can be selected to “Send all looted materials to this tab automatically.” Make it into a mastery track if you must, like auto-loot.

4. Right click on your salvage kit to reveal options to “salvage all” for common items, fine items, masterwork items, rare items in your inventory – would not include exotics for safety. When you hover over one of those options, highlight the affected items in the inventory. Limited by number of kit uses left, of course. The option to “Salvage all rare items in your inventory” will only ask to confirm once, not for every single item. This would help reduce the number of confirms for all the yellows after a world boss train, and save you from hunting for salvageable items among a sea of materials and junk that you picked up. Yes, different bag types can help sort it, but this would be so much cleaner, and (if implemented) all the salvaged mats would automatically go to the bank!

5. Make it so you don’t have to split stacks of something if it goes into a mystic forge recipe multiple times, e.g. gemstones and runes that can be rerolled.

ANET, PWEASE?

Attachments:

Posted by: kurfu.5623

kurfu.5623

Endless clicking is a valid game-play mechanic.

/s

Posted by: UnitedChaos.8364

UnitedChaos.8364

We really have run out of things to complain about, haven’t we?… Seriously, clicking in a video game, who’da thought.

This game has so much unnecessary clicking. It would be nice to be able to play without so much risk of repetitive stress injury.

• Why do we have popups above the map for items? Aside from levels and mastery points, none of these have anything to them other than clicking on them, then clicking accept to have the loot sent to your inventory. Just put it in and save the clicks.

Daily chest rewards are supposed to feel rewarding. By clicking the chest and accepting the items to your inventory, you should feel accomplished. If it arbitrarily sent the items to your inventory (and you mention straight to your bank later in your post) would you even feel like you accomplished anything? Probably not. People do their dailies to feel rewarded, not to complete a bunch of random things and assume that they were rewarded.

• Why do we have to handle materials manually? The deposit all option is nice but is hidden behind a dropdown. Just send them strait to the bank. At least provide a toggle for this.

For basically the same reason as listed above. Say you’re crafting a Gift of Fortune. Now isn’t it rewarding when a tier 6 mat is dropped from a foe? Or would you rather not see materials at all and hope that eventually your material storage fills up. It may be a minor sense of accomplishment, but crafting materials are a cornerstone piece of many MMOs.

• Why do we have a dropdown with 4 options in the inventory screen (behind the gear)? Just make 4 big buttons. Dropdowns should be for times when there are too many options to show. There is plenty of room.

This is probably one of few positive and meaningful suggestion. Yea, there’s room. Yea, it’d probably be nice. No, I don’t think they’ll ever work on such a minor thing.

• Why isn’t there an option to open all containers? This shouldn’t be automatic, since you are sometimes juggling inventory space, but when you aren’t just let us open them all, or at least as much as we have room for.

Loot containers may contain multiple things, multiple of the same item, etcetera. If loot containers just dumped a pile of stuff in your inventory after ever pickup, I’m sure your inventory would fill up at a stupidly fast rate. [See chest farming in Silverwastes. 1 slot for loot container, or a massive pile of blues and greens filling your inventory.] Your choice

• Why isn’t there an option to salvage all salvage items? It’s fine to not have options to salvage all regular items (no good way to avoid mistakes with that), but for items whose only purpose is to be salvaged, just do it with one click.

I don’t think you come across that much salvage junk that you need a “salvage all” button. My lord, just click the couple items.

• Why can’t the Mystic Forge deal with items in the bank? The crafting system otherwise can do this. It makes the Forge needlessly fiddly and completely removes any kind of experimentation, since you can’t have enough in your main inventory to do so.

I can agree with this, I suppose

Add “United Chi” to your friends list or guild!

Posted by: Gendou.9620

Gendou.9620

May I recommend a CPM training program. You will increase your CPM from 30 to 300 in just 30 days guaranteed. For no money down and 3 easy payments of Globs of ectoplasm, you too can become a CPM master.

Posted by: Rose Of Kali.1789

Rose Of Kali.1789

May I recommend a CPM training program. You will increase your CPM from 30 to 300 in just 30 days guaranteed. For no money down and 3 easy payments of Globs of ectoplasm, you too can become a CPM master.

Does it come with wrist surgery included? I’ll throw in another ecto for that.

Posted by: Amadan.9451

Amadan.9451

asking to reduce unnecessary clicking is not a pointless complain.
some times i have so much to click i just want to cry in a corner

Looking for a gay friendly guild?
Join the Rainbow Pride

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

I guess ANet should partner up with a mice manufacturer.
Or maybe, they already did and thus…the infinite clicking.

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

I agree with everything posted by op, +1

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Posted by: Boogiepop Void.6473

Boogiepop Void.6473

I posted this because I actually am getting repetitive motion strain and so I looked at all the places where this could be streamlined. I want to play the game, but without some help from Anet I am going to have to stop for health reasons.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Salvage All
Use all
Open All

Want this so bad.

Posted by: TheLordQ.1857

TheLordQ.1857

I agree with all of this plus I would like to not have to open Fractal Encryptions twice. The Cracked Encryption serves no purpose for the player.

Posted by: Bellatrixa.3546

Bellatrixa.3546

I posted this because I actually am getting repetitive motion strain and so I looked at all the places where this could be streamlined. I want to play the game, but without some help from Anet I am going to have to stop for health reasons.

Or you could just play less/take breaks between mass salvaging/opening if it’s truly creating or exacerbating a health condition? I have hypermobility and lipodystrophy. It hurts me to sit for long periods of time. On the other hand, it also means I take regular breaks from the game to move around and do things around the house. Now consider the 2 hour long metas in HoT – I don’t expect the game to change around my issues and some of those changes would be to the detriment of other players’ enjoyment. I can take a short break or two during a meta to loosen up my joints, make a cup of tea and get back into things without losing participation. It sucks to be sick/disabled (speaking from experience here) but sometimes you do have to adapt your behaviour to fit in with it, rather everything changes to adapt to you. I’d recommend investing in a gaming mouse if you haven’t already done so as you can bind actions to extra buttons – my mouse wheel is my action camera toggle, side button 1 is skill 1 etc.

While I’m on the subject of mouse wheels, I dug this up via Google:

This has been a problem since the launch of the game, and to my knowledge has never been responded to officially in any way. Due to this, I can only assume that they purposefully intend to make using stacks of items as painful as possible to discourage people from doing it. Maybe it’s to discourage farming, who knows (“gee, opening all those bags I farmed would be so annoying, maybe I just won’t”)?

There are, however, ways to deal with the problem without breaking the “one button, one action” rule. One option was already mentioned: bind the “click” action to the “click” of your mouse’s scroll wheel as it turns. It is physically much easier to activate that button many times than it is the left or right click buttons, and it still performs just one action per each unit of physical input (rotating the wheel a certain number of degrees). You could also bind “click” to multiple different buttons at once, such as every single key on your keyboard, and then go to town on it with both hands and your face.

I’ll also note this was before the ‘Consume All’ option was added to Essences of Luck. I’d like a similar option for Piles of Silky Sand but I doubt that’ll see the light of day.

I actually like pop up chests and, sad as it sounds, they make me feel properly rewarded as well as being a kind of checkpoint for certain stages of metas. As I have the autoloot mastery, I don’t see most of what goes into my bags. Certain things in chests like HoT keys, I like to know when I’ve got them so I can make sure I have a space in my inventory for them as they won’t go automatically into my shared inventory slots with my existing HoT keys.

Automatic ‘Deposit all’ for materials – some materials are at almost max capacity in my bank (and I’m at the 2k cap on material stack space) such as dragonite ore, bloodstone dust and increasingly, empyreal fragments. These items won’t go straight into my bank and if I’m mass salvaging from loot bags, I’d rather materials stacked up than my Craftsman bags fill up with sigils/runes. Not to mention there’s people who’d rather not have to go to a bank to retrieve the mats they’ve just gained in order to sell them. Imo this would have to be a toggleable feature.

The drop down with options is preferable over buttons to me. Why? Means more options can be added in the future without worrying about having to reposition things on the inventory every time so another button can be fitted in. You say there’s 4 options now, should ANet decide they like the ‘Salvage All’ idea, it’d be 5. ‘Open All’ for containers would make it 6. You said ‘big buttons’ as well which to me would increase the UI clutter which is overwhelming at times as it is (admittedly better now I don’t have the entire right of my screen covered with various game messages). In fact, I would guess they’d have to redesign/recode the inventory to change over to buttons from the current dropdown.

‘Open All’ – would that include the bags inside bags inside bags? If so, I could see my inventory being full in seconds with the over encumbered popup, even with my max bag slots filled with 18 slot bags. I open my champ bags in bursts of 25-30 before salvaging, green masterwork bags in bursts of about 20. Opening a stack of those bags would create the backlog you wanted to avoid with this not being automatic as your inventory would be instantly full, meaning items would be queued to be deposited in your inventory, which you’d then have to deal with immediately.
Open All on crafting material containers would be fine by me though as you’re not having so many different items entering your inventory (or the queue of items to enter your inventory) at once.

‘Salvage All’ – wouldn’t actually mind that but I find I don’t tend to get enough salvage items for this to really be a problem.

Mystic Forge – I’m interested to see what’s coming in the pipeline with the update to this. I’m hoping it’ll be streamlined in a few ways along with the ability to load up the items from your bank and material storage.

I would like to not have to open Fractal Encryptions twice. The Cracked Encryption serves no purpose for the player.

Seconded.

“Even if we find a way to save the world from the
dragons, I sometimes wonder if we’ll ever find a way to save us from ourselves.”

(edited by Bellatrixa.3546)

Posted by: Animism.9803

Animism.9803

Please do this for loot containers (champ chests), maybe even take it further and reduce the number of variations of champion chests. Visual clutters really aren’t impressive.

Posted by: xBrutalityx.3507

xBrutalityx.3507

To comment on open all bags, I would rather have the option to right click a bag have the option to open 5-10-15-20-25 amount of bags, instead of open All which would be pretty difficult considering the amount of gear or mats you get vary. I would love to have this feature.

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

I wish you could sell mats directly from storage rather than having to move them to your inventory first. That is really annoying…

Posted by: rowanne.5012

rowanne.5012

I mostly agree with United Chaos. The gear icon stops you from accidently clicking any of the drop down items, which I like. And there’s no reason why a salvage only item can’t just be the piece of leather/2 or whatever that it would have ended up as anyway.

Rose of Kali #4 Please!

TBH I think we get too much item loot. I would 100% rather be getting mat drops/ higher value junk trophies or straight up gold. I like the containers to the extent that I’m not having multiple items. I understand item drops/containers are good for the rare/exotic/precursor drop rates or whatever people are looking for. But having to open 20+ bags (which are in like 6 different types..) and then selling/salvaging the 80+ items from that.. it gets a bit excessive. The whole open boxes > sell > salvage > deposit > open more things > sell > salvage… I have no enjoyment recieving the avalanche of blue/greens that I normally get and having to click each one to sell them makes it worse.

As a side note. I don’t think wild creatures should be carrying full pieces of armor on a regular basis anyway.