Reduced quickness

Reduced quickness

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

Reduced quickness from 100% attack speed to 50%

As we push to improve balance in both PvE and PvP, a few mechanics in the game will be receiving updates to promote fun and balanced play. In the past, quickness has granted double the action speed normally available to players. In PvP, this speed gives most players almost no chance to react to incoming abilities and allows for massive spike damage in extremely short periods of time. In PvE, the increased attack speed can trivialize a lot of content that would otherwise provide a good challenge. Therefore, we are reducing the speed that quickness allows by half of its current potential while slightly increasing the duration on player-activated skills.

Apparently Anet thinks slowing the action down is good for the game? I disagree with this. Fast movement makes for a fun game.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

Yes getting killed by a thief that isn’t even completely rendered out of stealth is fun.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Psychatog.8246

Psychatog.8246

your mixing up quickness with swiftness. quickness is a short duration atk speed buff

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

It was so OP. There’s nothing that should take down a boss in ten seconds. It’s bad for the game, not good.

It’s one of the reasons four berserker warriors and one berserker mesmer are the CoF team of choice to run the dungeon. And it excludes so many people who don’t play those professions. It’s borderline exploit.

So yeah, a few people make something so powerful it makes content meaningless and it’s up to the company to fix it.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Quickness has always been messed up combined with berserker specs, especially in PvP. Stun, insta-kill (for a thief, before he’s even visible). Personally I enjoy longer duels where counter-play happen, not just button spam for max damage .

Reduced quickness

Vayne.8563

It was so OP. There’s nothing that should take down a boss in ten seconds. It’s bad for the game, not good.

It’s one of the reasons four berserker warriors and one berserker mesmer are the CoF team of choice to run the dungeon. And it excludes so many people who don’t play those professions. It’s borderline exploit.

So yeah, a few people make something so powerful it makes content meaningless and it’s up to the company to fix it.

Nonsense.
Everyone has the same opportunity to use the skill, but because they don’t it should be nerfed. Thanks for telling everyone else how to play their game.

Everyone doesn’t have the same opportunity to use the skill because different professions have different availability of the skill.

As for tellling people how to play the game, I’m not. Anet is responsible for making sure that content remains relevant, no matter what I say. I’m only saying I see why they did it.

Do you think they’ll change stuff just because I asked them to? Of course not. They saw a problem, they corrected it.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Lambros Augustus.6594

Lambros Augustus.6594

Yeah I play the game for fun being quick allows me to live a lot longer. Now a reduction in attack speed just adds to my list of gripes. So far I have been dedicating most of my play time to characters who can move dodge and survive, for PvE and farming this is critical. I don’t mind slightly different rules for PvP. But messing around the wrong way with PvE just makes me angry. Also the respawn rate at your back makes me angry. No one likes an angry person. HULK SMASH!!!

Maybe they can add a trainer to the market so I can play at a regular speed or maybe just introduce an offline mode. Either way these decisions make me want to close the till. Is it just to save money on server loads?

Reduced quickness

Vayne.8563

Yeah I play the game for fun being quick allows me to live a lot longer. Now a reduction in attack speed just adds to my list of gripes. So far I have been dedicating most of my play time to characters who can move dodge and survive, for PvE and farming this is critical. I don’t mind slightly different rules for PvP. But messing around the wrong way with PvE just makes me angry. Also the respawn rate at your back makes me angry. No one likes an angry person. HULK SMASH!!!

Maybe they can add a trainer to the market so I can play at a regular speed or maybe just introduce an offline mode. Either way these decisions make me want to close the till. Is it just to save money on server loads?

You might be confusing quickness with swiftness. Quickness speeds everything up. There’s no nerf to swiftness.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Riss.1536

Riss.1536

Here we go again with the “because it’s broken in PvP we must nerf it in PvE”…
I thought PvP was clearly separated from PvE…

Reduced quickness

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This change is rough but it was sorely needed. Time warp let people kill bosses in 10 seconds, it was kind of ridiculous. Thieves could kill people almost instantly when they had quickness buff.

Slower speed and longer duration will allow people to actually react, and will gives bosses time to actually get an attack or two in.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Lambros Augustus.6594

Lambros Augustus.6594

I did in fact confuse quickness with swiftness as I was most concerned with pet boons. Thanks for clearing that up Vayne.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quickening_Screech

So what this will effect. Basically Time Warp will have to wait and see how that plays out as that is the only elite skill worth having for mesmer atm.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Quickness

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I find this change awesome, specifically because the way CoF path 1 is exploited, just as Vayne mentioned above. It affects two of my main characters in specific and I don’t mind it one bit. It does make use of Frenzy even less attractive than it was before, but Time Warp will still be useful without being overpowered (and hopefully will encourage some fellows to try something else NOT 4 Warriors, 1 Mesmer for that path; “trivializing some PvE content” was most assuredly referring to CoF’s farming exploit.)

No offense to Berserker’s, etc., as there’s nothing wrong with that playstyle, though on that matter I find it highly intolerant to want other people to play the way you do, not being open-minded to the many other ways GW2 can be enjoyed other than “max DPS”. In short, I don’t mind you “DPSing”, but so you shouldn’t mind any and all players that do not subscribe to such playstyle.

Feel free to disagree of course, but yes, this change is good and welcome in my eyes.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Grey Warden.2983

Grey Warden.2983

Everyone doesn’t have the same opportunity to use the skill because different professions have different availability of the skill.

Ahh I see. Anet assigns every player a class no matter what the player would choose.

Do you think they’ll change stuff just because I asked them to? Of course not. They saw a problem, they corrected it.

What they did was nerf a skill game wide that seems to be a problem only in pvp and only because so many people cried about getting their rear ends handed to them.

I don’t pvp and I seldom run dungeons. I don’t want my already too slow in combat Gaurdian/Warrior to be stripped of any more speed.
“This wont end well” Indeed.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Those Who Remain.1987

Those Who Remain.1987

I don’t pvp and I seldom run dungeons. I don’t want my already too slow in combat Gaurdian/Warrior to be stripped of any more speed.

Quickness gets nerfed. Not swiftness.

Big difference.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Kintari.4172

Kintari.4172

People correctly identified Quickness as a problem a long time ago. I was posting about it 5-6 months ago and I’m sure I wasn’t the first.

It’s good to see ANet finally get around to changing it. +100% attack speed is just absurd in any context, PvE, PvP, whatever. Good change. Took a little too long, but good change.

Kintari | Rintaki | Rin Taki | Kian Tir | Zahinn | Lith <<< Blackgate >>>

Reduced quickness

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Ahh I see. Anet assigns every player a class no matter what the player would choose.

What they did was nerf a skill game wide that seems to be a problem only in pvp and only because so many people cried about getting their rear ends handed to them.

You are confusing quickness with swiftness. Swiftness is not being changed. Quickness is a buff that previously made you attack 100% faster for a short time period, allowing people to kill bosses in PvE in under 10 seconds. It was a problem in PvE and PvP equally. It had no effect at all on movement speed.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Lukrath.6982

Lukrath.6982

ok so thieves lost attack power through quickness and stealth was nerfed even more? even caltrops was nerfed I mean WTF? what do we have left?

Reduced quickness

Posted by: somsom.5201

somsom.5201

Gotta laugh at the reasoning ANet gave behind this nerf. Not only do they comment on two aspects of the game(PvP AND PvE, two things which were supposedly SEPARATE), but they addressed BOTH with this update. Instead of taking the time to fine tune BOTH SEPARATE areas, they instead thought it would be a good idea to blanket cover them both with this patch.

Saying you want to “even the playing field” or that quickness didn’t allow people “time to react” is silly: that’s the WHOLE point of the skill…BURST. So much for ANet’s claims of this game being an E-Sport(lol). It’s clear that ANet wants to hold our hands and make things “even” for everyone, regardless of skill or getting the drop on someone. I don’t play those types of games for very long.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: timecookie.8570

timecookie.8570

A one second action used to take 0.5 sec to be executed under Quickness. Now takes 0.66 sec. I’m pretty sure if you see the problem like that you won’t be so much omg-ed.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Majora.6028

Majora.6028

The only thing about this that irritates me is that, as a Mesmer, that just nerfed the poop out of my only good elite for PvE.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: eXs.6210

eXs.6210

I’m actually fine with that… I’m not at all a big fan of “1 chain of attacks… kite for 45 seconds” builds… glad those will be done with and people will hopefully play a more balanced builds… just more fun all around

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Orpheus.7284

Orpheus.7284

Worst nerf yet. Hear me out.

WvW/PvP and PVE should really have been separated since launch of the game when it comes to skill effects. Getting bursted down by other players is a WvW/Pv kitten ue, PvE players should not be punished.

The “some champions are made trivial” argument is totally an additional excuse used to convince us….please name a PvE boss that is made ‘trivial BECAUSE of quickness’. Those bosses you are talking about were trivial time-sinks to begin with! Example: even without any quickness, 5 good players can mow down the effigy boss in CoF p1 without taking a single hit at melee range, just takes twice as long and twice as monotonous.

In fact, the whole nerf on the PvE side feels like it’s just to slow down cof path 1 farmers…but there’s just so much collateral damage that is not even uncompensated for (Ranger DPS totally kitten Sigil of Rage might as well be vendored to npcs now since its already garbage to begin with, many many more)

Please, Please, Please do not take the easy way out when balancing…Making quickness half effective is not FUN. No one wants their characters kitten

Remember you guys said u want to take the Fractals concept and apply it to the other dungeons? Do that instead. The fractal bosses are not Trivial, most of them punish melee’ing for extended period of time, which totally brings out the ‘risk reward’ nature of melee damage. If a boss can be melee’d at all times with no risk, it just becomes a punching bag boss that i so boring that people need to fast forward through it via quickness. Using ranged with timewarp or quickness is not that much damage to warrant a nerf and many good ranged fights in pve encourage ppl to spread out (thus no timewarp abuse).

Alternative is to nerf timewarp in pve. Everyone even mesmers think its the most OP skill. Cut its duration by half, shorten its cooldown by 1/4 or whatever. Lets try that first before destroying a fun feature all together. Oh, nerf gold drop from cof 1 too cuz no matter how much you nerf quickness that farm will be most efficient gold. bad for economy.

(edited by Orpheus.7284)

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Scribbles.7493

Scribbles.7493

I said this back in beta. The Quickness boon was ridiculous.

It was essentially a double damage modifier, because you could pump out damage twice as fast at double animation speed.

Instead of attaching all kinds of fancy debuffs to it, they should’ve just been on the ball, realized the 100% effect was overkill, and reduced the effect to a more sane value. Back in beta, noone would’ve complained. Even the 100-blades greatsword warriors were admitting quickness was silly. Now we’re half a year in and everyone’s gotten so used to it that the kneejerk reaction is to stomp the feet and cry like spoiled children.

Blacktide – [CIR]
Crimson Imperium Reborn

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

It was overpowered in both areas.

Reduced quickness

Orpheus.7284

I said this back in beta. The Quickness boon was ridiculous.

It was essentially a double damage modifier, because you could pump out damage twice as fast at double animation speed.

Instead of attaching all kinds of fancy debuffs to it, they should’ve just been on the ball, realized the 100% effect was overkill, and reduced the effect to a more sane value. Back in beta, noone would’ve complained. Even the 100-blades greatsword warriors were admitting quickness was silly. Now we’re half a year in and everyone’s gotten so used to it that the kneejerk reaction is to stomp the feet and cry like spoiled children.

If it’s not 100% speed it better have longer duration or shorter cooldown. Most people not gonna waste a utility slot on a 4s burst that coolsdown every minute that’s not even a burst anymore, plus making them super vulnerable (heavy armored taking 2x damage, agile classes can’t dodge/heal).

The concept of these quickness skill is a short burst that focuses on moments of heavy risk/reward. (exception being Time Warp which kind of defied that concept and gave only reward, no risk, on a massive scale) This nerf just made it so you aren’t rewarded nearly as much, but an extended second of vulnerability on urself…more risk, less reward.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

The nerf won’t change that. It’s interesting that you think it will though.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: miniatureian.2501

miniatureian.2501

I agree with and support this change, even without having played it.

The goal of having options (for utilities and elites) is to provide choices. If one ability is so strong that it becomes the ‘right choice’, perhaps it is too strong? Does this change make us weigh other options when building a character?

That punch

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I am a PvE exclusive player. Recently I have mained a mesmer and use Time Warp for my elite.

I approve of, and welcome, this change.

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

This 100%
The quote provided by the OP could be summarized as:
“We found a problem with PvP that needed be resolved, and then scrambled to come up with a reason it was a problem in PvE as well.”

I completely agree with fixing something like that in PvP, but it’s starting to feel like Anet has given up on PvE all together.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Reduced quickness

Orpheus.7284

I agree with and support this change, even without having played it.

The goal of having options (for utilities and elites) is to provide choices. If one ability is so strong that it becomes the ‘right choice’, perhaps it is too strong? Does this change make us weigh other options when building a character?

That punch

The only quickness generating skill that is equipped almost all the time is Time Warp and Quickening Zephyr.

Timewarp is just imbalanced. All mesmers know it, and even with the nerf, they still have a 10 second no-risk AoE quickening…

Quickening Zephyr is just because Rangers absolutely needs it and it’s a Wilderness Survival skill so it synergize with the cooldown trait most DPS rangers usually get as a must. Plus it’s drawback is a lot less harsh than Frenzy and Haste’s.

Warriors have many many good choices for utility. So do thieves. They don’t have Frenzy and Haste as their ‘default best in slot’ utility in PvE.

Your logic is kind of flawed to begin with. As long as a skill is not flat out overpowered (Time warp), it should not be nerfed. Just because they have more generic uses than other utility skills should not warrant a Nerf, on the other hand, its the underpowered junk skills that need to be Buffed. Epidemic should be nerfed with your logic for a condition necromancer.

I play all 8 classes and I know that any good player weighs their choices between their utilities on a fight to fight basis. When you are out of combat, you should be subconsciously thinking about your next fight and what you need for it and change utilities accordingly.

(edited by Orpheus.7284)

Reduced quickness

Posted by: Moderator.6837

Moderator.6837

Hello,

We have a dedicated thread about today’s patch here : Thoughts on the March 26th Patch.

Please submit your feedback & concerns in this thread, this one is now closed.

Thank you.