Refer-A-Friend is cool and all but...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: vinotauro.5892

vinotauro.5892

What if we play on a full server? What the hell are our friends supposed to do if they want to play with us? lol

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

Next

Your friends will be able to access the server you’re on for this event, no worries.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

transfer.

7 days on a separate server won’t kill you.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Looks like my comment got removed, understandable but, err. What Colin said, there’s nothing to worry about, wait for information they will release soon.

Posted by: vinotauro.5892

vinotauro.5892

transfer.

Okay and then completely leave the guild you’re currently a part of because you can’t transfer back because….well it’s full?

Posted by: Omega Mayhem.7163

Omega Mayhem.7163

The question has been answered by a dev… no need to argue about anything.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I wouldn’t be surprised if they announced guesting

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

BrunoBRS.5178

transfer.

Okay and then completely leave the guild you’re currently a part of because you can’t transfer back because….well it’s full?

you can represent a guild while in a different server, and you just have to wait until the server opens up again, in the off chance that someone steals your spot.

Posted by: nottsgman.8206

nottsgman.8206

you can represent/join a guild on a different server, yes.

70 ‘mains’ and waiting for more slots
| 61 Asura | 5 Charr | 2 Norn | 1 Human | 1 Sylvari |

Posted by: ComeAndSee.1356

ComeAndSee.1356

Your friends will be able to access the server you’re on for this event, no worries.

This makes sense why servers are showing full 24/7. I’m guessing you dropped the cap on what is a full server in preparation for the event.

Sha Nari – 80 Guardian (http://bit.ly/12RNvtK)
Lorella Windrunner – 80 Thief
Shayera Nightfall – 80 Mesmer

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This makes sense why servers are showing full 24/7. I’m guessing you dropped the cap on what is a full server in preparation for the event. Spaces only open up if someone transfers out.

Servers show up full 24/7 because it’s based on the number of accounts linked to that server, not the number of players online.

I’m guessing guest accounts will get around it by either having a number of slots on each server reserved for guest accounts (easy to do when guest accounts will probably expire after a relatively short time) or by being completely exempt from the cap.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

With only three days to play, will those who are referred have upward level scaling or will they have to rush to an approrpiate level? Considering where lost shores is located I doubt anyone will be showing up as a level 1.

Posted by: ColinJohanson.2394

Previous

ColinJohanson.2394

Game Director

With only three days to play, will those who are referred have upward level scaling or will they have to rush to an approrpiate level? Considering where lost shores is located I doubt anyone will be showing up as a level 1.

The weekend event will allow players of all levels to participate by level-adjusting them up to level 80 for the event specifically. Same goes for the new dungeon and the new PvP map (since PvP always does that!)

The idea is you should be able to bring your friends for the weekend and let them see any of the new stuff with you during their trial if they want to check it out!

BrunoBRS.5178

you don’t have to walk to lion’s arch. you can visit lion’s arch at level 2, going through the gate at your home city.

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

I’m curious if we will be able to invite friends earlier then the start of the weekend just so they can have it downloaded before the weekend. I have friends who takes like a day to download a MMO. :/ Would be nice to be able to invite them early so they could get more then a day in the game.

Posted by: Gilandred.9870

Gilandred.9870

Servers show up full 24/7 because it’s based on the number of accounts linked to that server, not the number of players online.

I doubt that. My server floats regularly between high and full during the day.

Posted by: fortytwo.3485

fortytwo.3485

Aren’t you guys worried about the excess traffic ?

Bcuz of the event, there will already be a heavy load of existing players, the new trial players might make it worse.

If the servers go down or heavy lag , it won;t make a good first impression them.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

I doubt that. My server floats regularly between high and full during the day.

Well, I believe I’ve heard that the caps can be adjusted as needed on the fly. So there could be some of that happening. Then there’s people transferring to other servers, new people getting the game, etc.

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Really great idea, but we wondered if it will increase b.. activities? If these non-players have one account or buy a new one, they get three more trial accounts for free where they can start to b..
So we do not only have one account per b.. (how it is now), instead we have 1 plus 3 more for the weekend event?
Sounds like fun and like a lot of ranger/warrior trains are coming to “enjoy” us..

Is it something to worry about or just forget and ignore?

Posted by: Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Mr Crazy Moose.5760

Even if bots can’t farm on trial accounts for lack of a way to trade the money, they can still use them to accelerate the process for their accounts that can.

Posted by: VividInsight.6341

VividInsight.6341

Will the account holding friend have to be online for the guest to be able to play?

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

Same goes for the new dungeon

Wait, are we talking about the new, permanent multi-stage dungeon? If so, I don’t think this is a good idea at all. By sheer nature it would be easier to grind levels than in the general world, and also likely more efficient. I do think there is a serious risk that this alone could lead to even more depopulated low- and midlevel maps.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Wait, are we talking about the new, permanent multi-stage dungeon? If so, I don’t think this is a good idea at all. By sheer nature it would be easier to grind levels than in the general world, and also likely more efficient. I do think there is a serious risk that this alone could lead to even more depopulated low- and midlevel maps.

I think it’s for the weekend event only. Probably so that those on trial accounts can get a taste of dungeons if they want to. Since the free trial period does overlap onto the one time only event.

Posted by: SilentDrifterZ.3610

SilentDrifterZ.3610

Will the account holding friend have to be online for the guest to be able to play?

I like to know the answer to this as well, since I may not be around as often during this event.

Leader of Heavens Arrow [HA]

BrunoBRS.5178

by that logic, WvW ia broken too.

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

The weekend event will allow players of all levels to participate by level-adjusting them up to level 80 for the event specifically. Same goes for the new dungeon and the new PvP map (since PvP always does that!)

The idea is you should be able to bring your friends for the weekend and let them see any of the new stuff with you during their trial if they want to check it out!

Well, does that mean players will not have to cross through the mid-higher leveled zones to access Lost Shores, meaning it’s connected to Lion’s Arch then?

Posted by: Jamais vu.5284

Jamais vu.5284

The similarity ends at the upscaling. I am talking about convenience of accessible mobs, gathered in a single location, an easily resettable instance with likely higher rewards (both EXP and loot) than your random PVE monster or player-kill in WvW.
You do not find anything like that in WvW. And it’s much healthier for the game to have a large subset of low-levels spreading out in WvW and working on a multitude of different objectives, than the same large subset grinding a single dungeon over and over again (and believe be me, it will happen).
This all of course if we don’t have a misunderstanding here and Colin was talking about something entirely different.

Posted by: Brunners.7251

Brunners.7251

The similarity ends at the upscaling. I am talking about convenience of accessible mobs, gathered in a single location, an easily resettable instance with likely higher rewards (both EXP and loot) than your random PVE monster or player-kill in WvW.
You do not find anything like that in WvW. And it’s much healthier for the game to have a large subset of low-levels spreading out in WvW and working on a multitude of different objectives, than the same large subset grinding a single dungeon over and over again (and believe be me, it will happen).
This all of course if we don’t have a misunderstanding here and Colin was talking about something entirely different.

There’s all sorts of PvE mobs in Wvw and they give you an absolute crap ton of exp for killing them…? One of the complaints people have in wvw is people spend to much time farming the pve mobs for exp.

Acadamey Gaming EU [AG] twitch.tv/brunners90

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I’m curious if we will be able to invite friends earlier then the start of the weekend just so they can have it downloaded before the weekend. I have friends who takes like a day to download a MMO. :/ Would be nice to be able to invite them early so they could get more then a day in the game.

If they are nearby RL friends you could copy the client on to a cheap memory stick and just have them copy it to their machine. It would be much faster than downloading, even if they lived an hour away or more. You could even mail it to them in less time. 32GB USB memory sticks are about 20 USD. Just a suggestion.

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website

Posted by: Blu.4302

Blu.4302

I’m afraid this is going to be a nightmare. Besides only being able to play the new area together what if they decide to buy. Will they be able to get on my full server?
I think we need a lot of clarification on exactly how this will work.

Posted by: Aethena.7609

Aethena.7609

I would love to know if this means that guesting will be introduced with the update, as has been mentioned on some websites.

[looks hopefully at Colin Johanson]

Posted by: Wildman.9641

Wildman.9641

This makes sense why servers are showing full 24/7. I’m guessing you dropped the cap on what is a full server in preparation for the event.

They had to have done that. Just after they nerfed transfers more servers shot to full and stayed there.

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

you will probably meet your friends in the server called overflow. they are hosting an “once in a lifetime” event and giving free trial on the same weekend. expect full servers.

Posted by: Plague.5329

Plague.5329

I wouldn’t be advertising the game to anyone, with the gear debate going on. ANet doesn’t need any new customers, with the way they’re treating existing ones.

Posted by: Drunken Mad King.8193

Drunken Mad King.8193

There isn’t a chance I will bring any more friends into this game. I advertised this game to so many friends and brought them in. More than half of them are deeply angry with the mistrust and false advertising this game has now produced. Several of them bought newer computers so that they could run this game. This company lied to the general public on the game being horizontal gear system. They stated exotics were the top end and now within 3 months they inexplicably add another tier and then will bump legendary weapons higher. I encourage others to not promote this game as they are currently not worthy of being promoted.

Posted by: toafarmer.8401

toafarmer.8401

I wont promote not because of the gear grind, which was obvious when they implemented the level based item system, but because of the poor costumer support (poor being equal to very very crappy) and the bugs that are still there for months. I dont really mind grinding gear (even though I think 3 months is too soon to release new armor), but I wont tell friends to buy a game that has bugs and glitches that arent fixed in months. When I start to believe GW2 will have bugs fixed and a decent costumer support (or even a bad one, but not one that crappy), I might advertise the game for friends.