Refund policy is offensive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

Refunding HoT should not delete my GW2 account. I paid $150 for my GW2 Collector’s Edition (something you now give away like old food). Requesting that my purchase of Heart of Thorns be refunded due to Anet’s inability to provide what I paid for should roll back my account to pre HoT, not obliterate it.

This is unacceptable and needs to be addressed by Anet.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree with you. I think a roll back to before you owned HoT is reasoanble.

Aidenwolf.5964

I’ve spent money on gem store items that would be wiped out, that’s atrocious business from Anet.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Hehe, try getting a refund on the Infinite Continue Coin. They’ve been refusing refunds or apologies on that since 2014. Even if it comes back tomorrow, how many people that bought it are even still playing?

Vayne.8563

I’ve spent money on gem store items that would be wiped out, that’s atrocious business from Anet.

I don’t get you, I’m agreeing with you and you’re still arguing with me. Force of habit maybe?

Aidenwolf.5964

I don’t get you, I’m agreeing with you and you’re still arguing with me. Force of habit maybe?

Haha no Vayne, I was continuing your point, although arguing with you is second nature.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: bladex.9502

bladex.9502

Refunding HoT should not delete my GW2 account. I paid $150 for my GW2 Collector’s Edition (something you now give away like old food). Requesting that my purchase of Heart of Thorns be refunded due to Anet’s inability to provide what I paid for should roll back my account to pre HoT, not obliterate it.

This is unacceptable and needs to be addressed by Anet.

I refunded my Heart of Thorns prepurchase shortly after the actual release and got all my money back, and I still have access to my gw2 account in the state it was before I purchased Heart of Thorns.
Not sure why they suddenly changed their refund policy, I guess too many people were disappointed and it started costing them too much to refund all of them

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

ANet have said, once you apply the HoT code to your account, they don’t have the tech to separate the 2. They where clear about this before and HoT launched when people where going after refunds of HoT after the whole price character slots thing.
I mean if they could roll back your account, they would have to remove everything you had got from the point you applied the HoT code. They are not going to go through every item and copper coin you got so the can take away what you should not have by having a refund. It’s not like your taking something back to the store because its not working.

To be fair, most company’s wouldn’t give you a refund after having the product for a good length of time. Some will out of “good” practice, but when it comes to games, or other media they tend to be a no go. Most thing you can return with in 14-30 days after.purchase as long as they are in there original unopened condition.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Wow you guys are still playing this, that’s dedication.. I left years ago but just purchased HOT now i’m a bit worried what i’ve bought…

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

Wow you guys are still playing this, that’s dedication.. I left years ago but just purchased HOT now i’m a bit worried what i’ve bought…

And the prize for most pointless comment goes to Dante! Congratulations!

While this was know before HoT launched, it is consumer unfriendly, I agree. However, getting a refund SEVEN MONTHS after launch is kind of ridiculous.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

What’s the ridiculous part? Getting the refund? Or giving them 7 months to deliver what they promised before finally calling it quits? I think 7 months is more time than they deserved for people who feel like they need a refund.
I enjoy the game enough to want to stick with it for now, but I can totally understand why people are angry and want to just pull the plug and get what money they can salvage.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Wow i see the community hasn’t Changed, kudos..

Posted by: Andulias.9516

Andulias.9516

What’s the ridiculous part? Getting the refund? Or giving them 7 months to deliver what they promised before finally calling it quits? I think 7 months is more time than they deserved for people who feel like they need a refund.
I enjoy the game enough to want to stick with it for now, but I can totally understand why people are angry and want to just pull the plug and get what money they can salvage.

But you did play for seven months, didn’t you? I can’t imagine in which country there are laws to protect seven month old purchases

You give a pointless statement, you get a pointless answer. “Oh wow, you played the game” is as pointless as they get.

Posted by: DancinPuppeh.8421

DancinPuppeh.8421

If you’re in EU just refund them and then take them to court to sue them for your additional losses. It’s an EU law that a refund is not allowed to impact joint purchases to that refund unless it came in a set. So for them to refund you $50 for your $200 total purchases is robbery.

Refund them for the $50 HoT, then take them to court and refund for the additional $150, also inform your bank of the situation because depending on the bank, if you explain the policy and how it breaches EU law they will chargeback the money for you.

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

While this was know before HoT launched, it is consumer unfriendly, I agree. However, getting a refund SEVEN MONTHS after launch is kind of ridiculous.

Dude 7 months have passed and they cancelled one thing while 50% expansion isn’t delivered yet…..

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

To expand on the above AUS has just set a precedent where as games are now defined as digital goods and not as digital services.

It’s the first time an Australian court has defined digital products as “goods,” according to the ACCC, and Chairman Rod Sims warned that the decision could have major repercussions for other companies operating digitally in the country.

“There’s going to be a lot of companies we can now turn to and say look, be careful what you say about consumer guarantees because you are liable under Australian consumer law,” he said.

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Ariachi.8096

Ariachi.8096

You’re lucky to even get a refund. Under consumer law they are not obliged to even give you one. You’ve used the product for 7 months, and in there T&C’s it is clearly outlined that changes can be made to the product at their discretion… I think $50 or whatever you made for the game is pretty good for 7months of play time considering some games are the same price and offer a single campaign worth 10 hours of playtime…

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I don’t know about MMO consumer laws and regulations, but asking for a refund after 7 months of playing a game seems awfully like claiming thy gave you the wrong soda after drinking most of it…

Aidenwolf.5964

I don’t know about MMO consumer laws and regulations, but asking for a refund after 7 months of playing a game seems awfully like claiming thy gave you the wrong soda after drinking most of it…

I already owned GW2. The game I played the last 7 months was mostly core content so that’s innacurate.

The expansion I payed for has major advertised features that have still not gone live. One major feature has been cancelled so yes, I would ask for a refund as services paid for will not be delivered. The fact that I was willing to allow them 7 months to implement said features should not count against me.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No, it (the community, at least on the forums) really hasn’t.

HoT isn’t to everyone’s liking, but that’s a given for any product really. I have mixed feelings on the expansion. I play it, but it’s not my absolutely favorite content atm.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I already owned GW2. The game I played the last 7 months was mostly core content so that’s innacurate.

The expansion I payed for has major advertised features that have still not gone live. One major feature has been cancelled so yes, I would ask for a refund as services paid for will not be delivered. The fact that I was willing to allow them 7 months to implement said features should not count against me.

So have you actually asked for a refund and been told you can have one?

Aidenwolf.5964

It says right on the refund page that if you are granted a refund for HoT your entire account is deleted.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Unless you bought HoT recently, I do not see why you should be refunded.

Aidenwolf.5964

Has WvW been implemented?
Have legendary weapons?

No.

PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I’d say its more like going into a McDonalds and paying for a meal. They bring you your drink, and a side. You’re thirsty so you start drinking, and as you do, you notice the side has a bug on it, so you send it back.

An hour passes, and they still haven’t brought your food, but they tell you that they aren’t going to bring any fries, just the burger, which will come at some point. They are going to replace your side soon though.

At this point, you’ve finished your drink and you’re really angry and hungry, so you ask for a refund. They tell you that you can have the refund, but they’re going to have to make you throw up your drink before you can have it.

Meanwhile, some people who bought an ice cream are sitting in the corner having been given a single lick three hours ago. They cackle at you dementedly.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Have legendary weapons?

No.

to be fair 3 new weapons have been. So you can’t say they literally haven’t

Have you been playing HoT content?
Have you been using new specs/profs?

I don’t really think it’s a try befor you buy situation. Comparing this to food services isn’t exactly a good model. Maybe saying a video game you were promised 8 things from, you bought it with 4 of them ready to go, and were waiting for the remaining parts to be added. You played the game for 7 months and the devs didn’t add everything you had expected (1 thing got canceled) and you want a refund.

Just a few issues.

You played for 7 months…
By roll back to pre hot, what do you mean. Just lock all HoT content on your account? What about HoT only unlocks/cheevos, what about money/gold/exp you earned in HoT content? Or do you mean roll back your entire account to befor you purchased? (could also have issues)

(edited by Miku.6297)

Ayrilana.1396

Have legendary weapons?

No.

WvW was not part of HoT. Yes, they cancelled the rest of the new legendary weapons. However, refund periods, especially for electronics, don’t usually go out to four months after purchase/use. Legendary weapons are just a small part of the expansion, and if you have done other things, you really have no grounds to demand a refund.

I suggest to take this as a learning experience and read up on a company’s refund policy before purchasing. If you don’t like the policy, and feel you may be at risk, don’t make a purchase.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It says right on the refund page that if you are granted a refund for HoT your entire account is deleted.

Then I think you might be focussing on the wrong part of your problem. Your real problem is most likely to be that they will not give you any form of refund at all. The only way you will know for sure is by asking support.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

A hitch in these kinds of discussions is that we didn’t buy a physical product. It’s not like a radio we bought at the store.

We bought a license. The game still belongs to ANet. That changes the the playing field a bit when it comes to discussing refunds.

~EW

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Why do you bother refunding a mere 50$… just get along with it. Better times may come.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Vayne.8563

I’m still enjoying the game. I have a guild of well over 200 people. And there’s nothing else even close in MMO space that fits my play style.

There a precious few things I agree with Arden on , but yeah, he should be able to get a refund and a roll back in my opinion.

I saw you mention in another thread you were worried about the expansion. It’s harder content in some ways, but it’s also a lot of fun. And in three weeks or so, it’s looking to become less grindy, so you’re probably okay.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I am sure I will be wrong about this but if I wrote constantly how horrible an expansion was, before release, during release and after release I would consider it really strange if I then waited 7 months to come to forums and complain that after all this time I was not able to get a full refund and a time travel ticket. Clicking on a persons name does surprisingly give their posting history.

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I understand not rolling back to an extent as that could be a complex nightmare for support, and then a horrible game-decision one with the economic issues alone.

It’d also be kind of like opening a packaged console game, playing it/beating it, and then going to try and return it for full price; it just doesn’t work that way.

That said, I tried getting a refund before I even logged into my account when HoT released and the policy was still account suspension, however, despite there being no things to roll back or any potential damage (a sealed game). Once you pay, you’re effectively locked in, and I’m not too keen on that much.

Posted by: Dahmerkitten.1385

Dahmerkitten.1385

I’ve been gaming now for many moons and i never knew games could be “refunded”

You bought it, you played it- It’s yours. That’s the policy i’ve always known.

So considering they atleast did that for you is shocking.

Do you have experience returning games? You use the word offensive as tho you have something to compare it to? i’m really curious, spill the beans.

Ayrilana.1396

Do you have experience returning games? You use the word offensive as tho you have something to compare it to? i’m really curious, spill the beans.

Just imagine the people who would return games a week later after they have beaten them.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Just imagine the people who would return games a week later after they have beaten them.

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it had a warning right on the box that if it was opened you couldn’t return it? Good times.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

As I remember from a long ago post, account termination after a refund is because of their insurance. It costs them money to process refunds, chargebacks, etc, and their financial insurance requires them, by contract, to take a hard line on the situation and permanently close the accounts.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Gene Archer.8560

Gene Archer.8560

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it had a warning right on the box that if it was opened you couldn’t return it? Good times.

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it would be a full game, with parts not taken out like a jigsaw puzzle, or missing entirely until a later date and then outright cancelled? Good times.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it would be a full game, with parts not taken out like a jigsaw puzzle, or missing entirely until a later date and then outright cancelled? Good times.

Well that would be no MMO….ever. lol

I understand the anger with the legendary weapons. I really do, but I didn’t do it. So let’s not get kitteny with me.

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

I’m confused, I got a refund for HoT but kept my core account… :o

Just a flesh wound.3589

Was it before or after the expansion launched?

There’s often a period of time after purchase that people can get refunds. It may have fallen in that time frame.

ANet may give it to you.

Ayrilana.1396

As I remember from a long ago post, account termination after a refund is because of their insurance. It costs them money to process refunds, chargebacks, etc, and their financial insurance requires them, by contract, to take a hard line on the situation and permanently close the accounts.

And to reverse any benefit that the account received from having access to the expansion.

Mea.5491

Before. I pre-purchased the Ultimate edition. :o

Just a flesh wound.3589

Before. I pre-purchased the Ultimate edition. :o

Yah. It was before the expansion and probably within an allowed for refund period.

Edit: the post where I saw that refunds caused account closure was probably about 2 years ago. Long before the expansion. They could have negotiated a refund period of time after purchase for the expansion with their insurance.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Mea.5491

Yah. It was before the expansion and probably within an allowed for refund period.

Oh, nice, I was lucky. I eventually re-bought the cheapest version when they added gliding to core Tyria, lol.

Vayne.8563

Actually I remember buying full games that were short and sucked. Maybe you’re wearing some rose-coloered glasses, but there were plenty of short kittenty games that I paid full price for.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Actually I remember buying full games that were short and sucked. Maybe you’re wearing some rose-coloered glasses, but there were plenty of short kittenty games that I paid full price for.

Or games that sounded great, or that you thought you’d like, and then you couldn’t play for more than like 10 minutes and then just sat on your shelf gathering dust. Done that a few times (ok, more than a few).

Just a flesh wound.3589

Or games that sounded great, or that you thought you’d like, and then you couldn’t play for more than like 10 minutes and then just sat on your shelf gathering dust. Done that a few times (ok, more than a few).

Or paid for a game, that turned out to be so buggy that my quest line stalled and I was unable to advance further, on multiple characters and reinstalling the game.

/off to shelf to gather dust.

ANet may give it to you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Buggy forums are buggy.

ANet may give it to you.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Too bad we can’t shelve the forums