Refund policy is offensive

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Too bad we can’t shelve the forums

Points to the X in the top right side of your monitor.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Not what I meant you know it!

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Not what I meant you know it!

meh, details

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it had a warning right on the box that if it was opened you couldn’t return it? Good times.

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it would be a full game, with parts not taken out like a jigsaw puzzle, or missing entirely until a later date and then outright cancelled? Good times.

Actually I remember buying full games that were short and sucked. Maybe you’re wearing some rose-coloered glasses, but there were plenty of short kittenty games that I paid full price for.

Or games that sounded great, or that you thought you’d like, and then you couldn’t play for more than like 10 minutes and then just sat on your shelf gathering dust. Done that a few times (ok, more than a few).

Or paid for a game, that turned out to be so buggy that my quest line stalled and I was unable to advance further, on multiple characters and reinstalling the game.

/off to shelf to gather dust.

Or a game that looked nothing like the demo footage or screen shots used to advertise the game, I’m looking at you Aliens: Colonial Marines.(I still enjoyed it, but was let down by it not being anything like the hype)

But man, the good old days of the consoles. Streets of Rage 2 is still.probably my all time favourite.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

(edited by BrotherBelial.3094)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Here is the refund policy:

How do I get a refund?

We are happy to review your refund request. For refunds related to games or serial codes purchased directly from http://buy.guildwars2.com or unspent gems purchased through the Gem Store, please follow the instructions below. For purchases from third-party vendors, please contact the retailer or your financial institution.

Game Refunds

If you purchased Guild Wars 2 from http://buy.guildwars2.com and would like a refund, please submit a request to our Support team within 30 days of the purchase and provide the following information:

Your Guild Wars 2 purchase Order ID provided in the receipt of the purchase (if available).
The e-mail address you used when making the purchase. (if available).
Your billing zip code or postal code.
For transactions involving a credit/debit card, ONLY the last 4 digits of the credit/debit card used.
For transactions involving PayPal®, the invoice ID or from your PayPal® payment history for the transaction

Note: The refund process includes permanent closure of the Guild Wars 2 account. If you wish to continue to play Guild Wars 2, or if you desire to play in the future, you will need to purchase a new serial code and create a completely new account. Characters, names, items, and other features from the refunded account cannot be transferred to a new or different account. Not all serial code purchases will be eligible for a refund. No refunds will be given for any account that has been terminated for a breach of the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement.

This is the exact policy that has been in effect since the page was created, long before Heart of Thorns was announced, much less released. Nothing about refunding HoT closing Core account, but that refunds close accounts.

Though, if you search the Account Support sub-forum, and possibly GD, as well, you will find posts/threads where others have gotten refunds on HoT, and kept their core accounts.

If OP wants to seek a refund, he/she will need to discuss the issue with the CS Team.

Good luck.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it had a warning right on the box that if it was opened you couldn’t return it? Good times.

Remember the days where you’d buy a physical game, and it would be a full game, with parts not taken out like a jigsaw puzzle, or missing entirely until a later date and then outright cancelled? Good times.

Actually I remember buying full games that were short and sucked. Maybe you’re wearing some rose-coloered glasses, but there were plenty of short kittenty games that I paid full price for.

Or games that sounded great, or that you thought you’d like, and then you couldn’t play for more than like 10 minutes and then just sat on your shelf gathering dust. Done that a few times (ok, more than a few).

Or paid for a game, that turned out to be so buggy that my quest line stalled and I was unable to advance further, on multiple characters and reinstalling the game.

/off to shelf to gather dust.

Or a game that looked nothing like the demo footage or screen shots used to advertise the game, I’m looking at you Aliens: Colonial Marines.(I still enjoyed it, but was let down by it not being anything like the hype)

But man, the good old days of the consoles. Streets of Rage 2 is still.probably my all time favourite.

Not just console games. PC games too. Nox and Arcanum were two I thought would be great and couldn’t stand.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

How do I get a refund?

We are happy to review your refund request. For refunds related to games or serial codes purchased directly from http://buy.guildwars2.com or unspent gems purchased through the Gem Store, please follow the instructions below. For purchases from third-party vendors, please contact the retailer or your financial institution.

Game Refunds

If you purchased Guild Wars 2 from http://buy.guildwars2.com and would like a refund, please submit a request to our Support team within 30 days of the purchase and provide the following information:

Your Guild Wars 2 purchase Order ID provided in the receipt of the purchase (if available).
For transactions involving a credit/debit card, ONLY the last 4 digits of the credit/debit card used.
For transactions involving PayPal®, the invoice ID or from your PayPal® payment history for the transaction

Note: The refund process includes permanent closure of the Guild Wars 2 account. If you wish to continue to play Guild Wars 2, or if you desire to play in the future, you will need to purchase a new serial code and create a completely new account. Characters, names, items, and other features from the refunded account cannot be transferred to a new or different account. Not all serial code purchases will be eligible for a refund. No refunds will be given for any account that has been terminated for a breach of the Guild Wars 2 User Agreement.

This is the exact policy that has been in effect since the page was created, long before Heart of Thorns was announced, much less released. Nothing about refunding HoT closing Core account, but that refunds close accounts.

Though, if you search the Account Support sub-forum, and possibly GD, as well, you will find posts/threads where others have gotten refunds on HoT, and kept their core accounts.

If OP wants to seek a refund, he/she will need to discuss the issue with the CS Team.

Good luck.

Semantics, the account, my account would be closed even if they allowed a refund. You actually linked proof of my complaint in an attempt to invalidate my arguement…

Attachments:

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

You’re complaining about a policy that has been in effect since launch. You should have read about it before making any purchases.

Posted by: MadRabbit.3179

MadRabbit.3179

Ultimately, canceling Legendary weapons squanders good will, but they didn’t sign a contractual agreement with you stating that they will deliver X number of legendaries as a condition of you purchasing the original product.

Rehabilitated Elementalist. Now, trolling the Thief forums with my math.

Posted by: GreyWolf.8670

GreyWolf.8670

I agree with you. I think a roll back to before you owned HoT is reasoanble.

I’ve spent money on gem store items that would be wiped out, that’s atrocious business from Anet.

I don’t get you, I’m agreeing with you and you’re still arguing with me. Force of habit maybe?

Wow you guys are still playing this, that’s dedication.. I left years ago but just purchased HOT now i’m a bit worried what i’ve bought…

And the prize for most pointless comment goes to Dante! Congratulations!

While this was know before HoT launched, it is consumer unfriendly, I agree. However, getting a refund SEVEN MONTHS after launch is kind of ridiculous.

It took them 7 months to announce features we paid for won’t exist. I’d hardly call that ridiculous.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Refunding HoT should not delete my GW2 account. I paid $150 for my GW2 Collector’s Edition (something you now give away like old food). Requesting that my purchase of Heart of Thorns be refunded due to Anet’s inability to provide what I paid for should roll back my account to pre HoT, not obliterate it.

This is unacceptable and needs to be addressed by Anet.

Lol suck it up and move on with your life, is it really worth all this fighting for $50 smh

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Nope. I’ve never played a game that didn’t have cut content.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

Hehe, try getting a refund on the Infinite Continue Coin. They’ve been refusing refunds or apologies on that since 2014. Even if it comes back tomorrow, how many people that bought it are even still playing?

You, sir, had a clairvoyant vision of the future, except it wasn’t tomorrow, but today :p

To OP:

You knew you would buy a product that wouldn’t have everything implemented at the start. Ideas are made, some ideas are worked out and some ideas are found too expensive to make. It’s what happens everywhere. At least you got a game that is fully functional, that will be added to, in time, maybe not with the content that was told you at the start, but there will be new content.

I personally wouldn’t see a reason to offer a refund at all, especially not after almost half a year of play time.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

ANet have said, once you apply the HoT code to your account, they don’t have the tech to separate the 2.

This doesn’t seem to actually be true. There have been cases (seen from forum posts and support responses) where people that kept arguing have managed to get their core accounts back. And people that used the refund offer on prepurchase had no problems either.

It’s just they want to scare you into not applying for refunds by making it as painful as possible.

What’s the ridiculous part? Getting the refund? Or giving them 7 months to deliver what they promised before finally calling it quits? I think 7 months is more time than they deserved for people who feel like they need a refund.
I enjoy the game enough to want to stick with it for now, but I can totally understand why people are angry and want to just pull the plug and get what money they can salvage.

But you did play for seven months, didn’t you? I can’t imagine in which country there are laws to protect seven month old purchases

When the seller didn’t make good on the sale even after seven months? Most developed countries, i’d say. Europe for certain.

Unless you bought HoT recently, I do not see why you should be refunded.

Cancelling one of the major points of the expansion (and legendaries were named as such at the HoT reveal) is sufficient basis for a refund. And no, calling it an “indefinite suspension” does not change a thing.

A hitch in these kinds of discussions is that we didn’t buy a physical product. It’s not like a radio we bought at the store.

By current EU laws, there’s no difference.

And then you opened it and found half the pieces missing. Even better times.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I’m confused, I got a refund for HoT but kept my core account… :o

Was it before or after the expansion launched?

There’s often a period of time after purchase that people can get refunds. It may have fallen in that time frame.

See my earlier post, in which I asked for a refund within the first hour of release. If you asked for a refund at or shortly after launch, even if not logged into the account, you were denied this and the account would be closed, which is consistent of the discussion and new policies above.

As someone else mentioned, though, nobody should expect to get a refund after playing. The only disputable part is if the content hasn’t been played, which is like being rejected for trying to return an unopened console game at the store.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

There are some mixed reports about getting a refund of HoT and keeping the core game in these threads but that was not long after launch. If those reports are true I seriously doubt it still applies now if you have had HoT since launch.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Refund-of-HoT-without-losing-the-core-game/

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Refund-for-Expansion-Thank-you-forums/

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

A hitch in these kinds of discussions is that we didn’t buy a physical product. It’s not like a radio we bought at the store.

By current EU laws, there’s no difference.

You missed (and cut out of my quote) the second part of what I said… unless you are saying that by EU law there is 0 difference between a purchase a physical product and a license under the law?

~EW

edit: just to be clear I have no pony in this race. I’m just trying to point out a possibly overlooked factor in this discussion.

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Mo axes future legendaries, OP decides they want a refund. Lel. Demanding a refund because some kittenty weapon set hasnt been fully released and because WvW’s changes havent yet been released (LATER THIS MONTH YOU FOOLS ) is frankly insane.

The first you linked trogdor was someone who prepurchased, and probably didnt apply the key. The second was a post-release basis for 30 days after release iirc. OP doesnt fit either case, not for a loooooooooooooooong while. So yea, if they want a refund of HoT, they’re losing their account.

If you’re in EU just refund them and then take them to court to sue them for your additional losses. It’s an EU law that a refund is not allowed to impact joint purchases to that refund unless it came in a set. So for them to refund you $50 for your $200 total purchases is robbery.

Refund them for the $50 HoT, then take them to court and refund for the additional $150, also inform your bank of the situation because depending on the bank, if you explain the policy and how it breaches EU law they will chargeback the money for you.

It would be a loss in court. Pretty sure that EU law doesnt apply in this situation either, not entirely at least. As for a chargeback? Yea, that’s a very quick way to have your account 100% shut down and your payment method blacklisted, if not your personal information blacklisted. That being said, if you want to flaunt the “unassailable law” card, you need to be able to source it as well.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

How do I get a refund?

Game Refunds

Good luck.

Semantics, the account, my account would be closed even if they allowed a refund. You actually linked proof of my complaint in an attempt to invalidate my arguement…

Good job on missing the point of the post.

Again, if you wish a refund, discuss the issue with the CS Team. Discussing it here will likely get the thread closed or removed per Forum Rules.

Good luck.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

I’m unfamiliar with EU law, but in order to play/maintain an account you do have too accept the GW2 user agreement?

If you read through it you will find some information about refunds/chargebacks etc.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

I don’t know about MMO consumer laws and regulations, but asking for a refund after 7 months of playing a game seems awfully like claiming thy gave you the wrong soda after drinking most of it…

It is against the law for businesses to tell you or show signs stating that they do not give refunds under any circumstances, including for gifts and during sales

Your rights under the consumer guarantees do not have a specific expiry date and can apply even after any warranties you’ve got from a business have expired.

Consumer has also paid for a product which has now been scrapped, so I think he is within his rights as a consumer.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Please please discuss your individual situation with the Customer Support Team. This is not a matter that can be succinctly and accurately portrayed, it’s not a one-size-fits-all situation. CS will look at your personal situation and will let you know how they can help you.

Again, Customer Support will do their level best to help you, but you need to discuss with them. There’s no value in making this a forum discussion, because there are too many variables to make sweeping statements.

Thanks for understanding.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet