Refunds; Why not Ultimate?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Turial.1293

Turial.1293

Q:

Just looking at the numbers between editions and I ask you, why not the Ultimate?
Standard: $45 down to $22.50
Deluxe: $75 down to $37.50
Ultimate: $100 (would be $50)

Now one can argue that the only difference between deluxe and ultimate is that it came with ‘free’ gems but if you take those 4000 gems and ignore the discount but price them full at $50, adding this to the price of the deluxe makes it $87.50 and technically the same as the ultimate. Now money is not the issue, $12.50 ($37.50 if you count freebie gems) could easily be spent back into the game but that is not the point I want to make.

How come the players who spend the most amount of money on your game are being penalised? I understand that money does not equal a more important player, but they are still a customer and entitled (yes, in the truest form of the word) to be treated like the other customers. One of the main issues that people had with HoT initially was that you were placing your efforts on newer players and ignoring the ones who had supported you for three years, this feels like much of the same here. You are telling us one group of players is more important than the other when you take actions like this.

The purchasers of the ultimate edition, the ones who spent the most amount of money to support HoT are getting the roughest deal here. shrug I don’t understand it, I really don’t.

Why not Ultimate?
Or rather….
Why Ultimate?

“Some of my best friends are heterosexual”

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Ask for a full refund (if you’ve not spend the Gems), and purchase a Deluxe version + $50 worth of Gems.

If you’ve already spend the Gems, the refund policy states (and always has) that refunds may not be provided in that case.

Good luck.

Turial.1293

I would do exactly that, but I would rather not lose my whole account, it would defeat the purpose.

The gems can be re-bought, I doubt each gem was unique, but as I stated in my post the gems are completely irrelevant as either way you look at it, purchasers of the Ultimate edition are losing out on money.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t believe the ‘whole account’ is lost when refunding only Heart of Thorns. (They really should update the Knowledge Base.) Many have received refunds without losing their Core game account.

But, as stated above, having used the Gems may invalidate any possible refunds.

You can always contact the CS Team and ask.

Good luck.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Why? Because you’d be effectively running two discounts at the same time. Ultimate is just a deluxe edition with discounted gems added to it. Most businesses, even when they are running several discounts at the same time, won’t allow you to use more than one.

This is the same. You can either get a discounted game, and get the gems at full price, or buy the game at full price and gems at discount.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Rasimir.6239

Rasimir.6239

Is the ultimate edition even still available or has been available in the last 30 days? I thought is was just available for preorder, so any account that bought the ultimate edition has purchased HoT way before the 30 days refund period.

Turial.1293

I don’t believe the ‘whole account’ is lost when refunding only Heart of Thorns. (They really should update the Knowledge Base.) Many have received refunds without losing their Core game account.

Good luck.

“We can look into refunding your Guild Wars 2 purchase. Please note that the code that you are requesting a refund for will be permanently disabled. If you registered the code, all features, including game access, will be removed. If you haven’t used the code, the code cannot be registered.”

Turial.1293

Why? Because you’d be effectively running two discounts at the same time. Ultimate is just a deluxe edition with discounted gems added to it. Most businesses, even when they are running several discounts at the same time, won’t allow you to use more than one.

This is the same. You can either get a discounted game, and get the gems at full price, or buy the game at full price and gems at discount.

As I explain in the original post, the difference between deluxe and ultimate is just gems, nothing else. A refunded deluxe with full price gems still comes out at a cheaper price, you don’t get a double discount even if you included the gem discount.

Turial.1293

Is the ultimate edition even still available or has been available in the last 30 days? I thought is was just available for preorder, so any account that bought the ultimate edition has purchased HoT way before the 30 days refund period.

Yes it was still available up to and including last week. It was supposed to be a pre-purchase option only and they should have removed it once the game launched. By not doing so, they have created this problem.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

“We can look into refunding your Guild Wars 2 purchase. Please note that the code that you are requesting a refund for will be permanently disabled. If you registered the code, all features, including game access, will be removed. If you haven’t used the code, the code cannot be registered.”

Is that a response from your ticket to the CS Team? You do realize there are two different codes on an account that has been upgraded to Heart of Thorns, yes? Disabling the HoT code disables all HoT related features, while disabling the Core code disables the entire account, of course.

Sometimes, you have to ask more than once about something, to get past the more automated responses.

Also, the Ultimate Edition was never ‘supposed’ to be pre-purchase only. The only restriction on the Ultimate Edition was that one could not upgrade from Standard or Deluxe Heart of Thorns to Ultimate Heart of Thorns, pre- or post-release.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Good luck.

They’ve already stated that the only way to refund HoT is to disable the whole account….

Dinks.2478

Good luck.

Is that a response from your ticket to the CS Team? You do realize there are two different codes on an account that has been upgraded to Heart of Thorns, yes? Disabling the HoT code disables all HoT related features, while disabling the Core code disables the entire account, of course.

Sometimes, you have to ask more than once about something, to get past the more automated responses.

Also, the Ultimate Edition was never ‘supposed’ to be pre-purchase only. The only restriction on the Ultimate Edition was that one could not upgrade from Standard or Deluxe Heart of Thorns to Ultimate Heart of Thorns, pre- or post-release.

No, Anet said outright that when you add HoT to your account it replaces the core code. If you look at your game content in your account page on guildwars2.com you will see Guild Wars 2 Heart of Thorns and Guild Wars if you have Guild Wars 1. Guild Wars 2 is no longer there because it has been replaced. They said they have no way to revert the game to its previous code. This has all been covered before.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Good luck.

They’ve already stated that the only way to refund HoT is to disable the whole account….

Here’s one example of a HoT refund without losing the core game:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Refund-for-Expansion-Thank-you-forums/first#post5649402

Dinks.2478

That was a day after launch, we’ve had many more examples since where they’ve stated outright they wouldn’t do that.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not true. You can use either Serial Code when contacting the CS Team.

But, it’s up to the OP to query the CS Team and find out what today’s policy is.

Good luck.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Since the Ultimate edition is not on sale I am not sure what is so surprising.

Posted by: Michael Henninger.7451

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

Good luck.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/hot/Refund-for-Expansion-Thank-you-forums/first#post5649402

This is correct. We should not be terminating your account for HoT refunds. You will lose any paid access features (i.e. You may go back to PFF if that was your game status before upgrading). If you request a refund FOR HEART OF THORNS and they respond with a “you acknowledge that your account will be terminated” please ask for a supervisor.

(Chargebacks are always terminated; no matter what portion you’ve placed the chargeback on).

GM Delicious Intent
Twitter: @ANetCSLead
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Thanks, Michael. We will be sure to bookmark this response, as well as the others, for future queries.

Posted by: Will.9785

Will.9785

Good luck.

This is correct. We should not be terminating your account for HoT refunds. You will lose any paid access features (i.e. You may go back to PFF if that was your game status before upgrading). If you request a refund FOR HEART OF THORNS and they respond with a “you acknowledge that your account will be terminated” please ask for a supervisor.

(Chargebacks are always terminated; no matter what portion you’ve placed the chargeback on).

What about my masteries and stuff like that? If I rebuy the game will the progress be where it was before or will it reset? I asked CS and they did not respond.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If it were me, I would assume everything accessed through HoT reset, and would consider carefully if the savings was worth the time/effort spent replacing progress.

But, I’m guessing it does save your progress; you just can’t access things, like Gliding, until you re-purchase.

Good luck.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Good luck.

What about my masteries and stuff like that? If I rebuy the game will the progress be where it was before or will it reset? I asked CS and they did not respond.

They never “reset” the game info (unless they do a rollback, which is a special situation with it’s own, complicated procedure, as they can’t do it easily), even on completely closed accounts. My bet is that you’d just lose access to that stuff, and then regain it after you rebuy the key.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Turial.1293

Good luck.

Thank you for the response Michael, this does answer some questions, just not original question. If the ultimate edition CAN be refunded why is support telling us that it can’t be?

As I explain in my OP, ultimate players lose money since they are told they can’t be refunded…. I totally understand it not being on sale, not discounting already discount gems is a fair reason. But if you say we CAN and support says we CAN’T, then what can we do? It makes no sense to say there are no refunds when it is possible to essentially split the account codes and revert your account to whatever it was before.

Someone asked asked about masteries and I too have not received a response from support in 18 hours now… Best case scenario; let us say that all our HoT stuff is just locked, no progression is lost until we buy HoT again then it makes zero difference to the refund. That is why I suggest that anyone who recently bought the ultimate edition should have the difference refunded in gems (~1200), nobody loses money and it ensures that all the player base is treated the same. Now, worst case is of course we lose everything we worked on and have to work it back up there, but we are still granted a fair refund.

What are your thoughts?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Michael already stated that you could ask to speak to a Supervisor about issues with refunds. Have you done so in your ticket?

Turial.1293

Michael already stated that you could ask to speak to a Supervisor about issues with refunds. Have you done so in your ticket?

“If you request a refund FOR HEART OF THORNS and they respond with a “you acknowledge that your account will be terminated” please ask for a supervisor.”

He meant in that particular instance, and it has now taken 2 days, 6 different GMs handling a single ticket and barely any of my questions acknowledged. I have requested a specific GM in the tickets, twice now, as he was the only one to respond to any of my questions and that has been ignored. I question what the point of asking for a supervisor will do if they are not even reading the ticket before replying with auto-responses.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Asking to speak to a Supervisor is always an option. When new interactions with the playerbase commence, it seems some Team Members are not always familiar with policy.

Also, it’s not been established if the Gems were used from any possible Ultimate Edition refund, which may be the determining factor negating a refund.

You can always post your ticket number in the Sticky for a review.

Good luck.

Turial.1293

Also, it’s not been established if the Gems were used from any possible Ultimate Edition refund, which may be the determining factor negating a refund.

You can always post your ticket number in the Sticky for a review.

Good luck.

Not exactly sure what you by that but my ticket has been approved for refund according to the last GM but my questions have been ignored in the ticket so there is not enough information to make an informed decision on which is the best option.

Good to remind people about that sticky.