Regarding E-sport

Regarding E-sport

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zalmea.7320

Zalmea.7320

Hey arenanet !
I’m writing the forums post becuse alot of people are angry right now .
Arenanet stated that Guild wars 2 are going to be a E-sport .
But this won’t happend ever if the Terms of use aren’t changed.
Me and alot of people in my guild playing the game becuse we though it be a good E-sport game , but now we are not allowed to post videos from the game.
how are a game suppose to have fans when ur not allowed to post any videos or livestream it ,
I hope you will see that this is insane .
I know Arenanet wanna make money, but you just making people quit the game

/Zalmea

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-content-terms-of-use/

(edited by Moderator)

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

There are plenty of videos on Youtube. I’m not sure to what extent the terms oppose this, but just because it is there, it doesn’t mean it will be cracked down upon.

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

They have started to flag videos so you can’t earn money on them , So people that are making a living out of posting youtube videos won’t get any food on their tables .

Regarding E-sport

Eochaidh.4106

They have started to flag videos so you can’t earn money on them , So people that are making a living out of posting youtube videos won’t get any food on their tables .

Maybe they’ll get an actual job now.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Apotheosis.3786

Apotheosis.3786

99% of people who make videos or stream don’t make a penny off of it… just sayin

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

if people can’t earn any money hosting tournamnets then E-sport got a dark future in Guild wars 2

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

99% of people who make videos or stream don’t make a penny off of it… just sayin

what about the other 1%

Regarding E-sport

Eochaidh.4106

Well, I am replying to the point that people will somehow die of hunger because of this.

Just to clarify – just the money-making users are being flagged for this? I don’t see the issue if that’s the case. It’s within Arenanet’s right to do so. You can definitely post your e-sport videos without profiting on them.

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

Well, I am replying to the point that people will somehow die of hunger because of this.

Just to clarify – just the money-making users are being flagged for this? I don’t see the issue if that’s the case. It’s within Arenanet’s right to do so. You can definitely post your e-sport videos without profiting on them.

ofc it is Arenanet’s right to do so . But it is not right thing to do against the customers .

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Sako.2391

Sako.2391

I’m confused as I have not heard this yet.

Is this similar to something like SC2 being an e-sport? In that same spectrum?

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

Yes, what about if people couldn’t earn money on SC2 ? :P it would not be a E-sport today , Totalbiscuit and all those others wouldn’t post videos about it

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Apotheosis.3786

Apotheosis.3786

Devs have talked about the game being an e-sport many times. This game started with a bigger hardcore pvp community than any other mmo, but anet didn’t hold their end of the deal.

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

Devs have talked about the game being an e-sport many times. This game started with a bigger hardcore pvp community than any other mmo, but anet didn’t hold their end of the deal.

This is insanity

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

While attracting dedicated streamers (and by this, I mean the ones that stream as their source of income) probably would help towards building a stronger esports community, the rules seem pretty set against that sort of thing.

In-game replays may go a ways toward negating that, but hm, no commentary…

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

Regarding E-sport

Eochaidh.4106

Well, if that’s really that necessary to build an e-sport community, it is time for them to re-evaluate their intentions with what is planned for sPvP.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Curuniel.4830

Curuniel.4830

I was under the impression that they were only pinging people who were using their videos to make money, without permission. Seems fair. You can still share and blog if you’re not making money off it.

What’s stopping ArenaNet running the tournaments if they want an e-sport? They don’t want other people profitting off their game, which is reasonable.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: DrTenma.7249

DrTenma.7249

What kind of policy is this anet?

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Seems fair to me, I never put ads on any of my videos. Ads are annoying.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

Not fair for people that making a living out of gaming :P

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

You can post GW2 videos to youtube, you just can’t make money off of them. I highly doubt youtube is going to force you to accept money from them lol. It sucks, but you are safe to post vids on youtube so don’t worry.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

A red posted about this.

They did mention it’s always possible to change in the future.

And I’d imagine if the game is esports worthy and starts going in that direction they may change their mind.

Not fair for people that making a living out of gaming :P

That specific guy has some vendetta on ads, even though he has adblock. =p

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: ZiggyD.1689

ZiggyD.1689

“You can post GW2 videos to youtube, you just can’t make money off of them. I highly doubt youtube is going to force you to accept money from them lol. It sucks, but you are safe to post vids on youtube so don’t worry.”

This will discourage most serious YouTubers who make content as a profession however. What are you left with? Let’s plays and kill monatges.

All of the good content comes from sources that monetizes their content.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Painking.4703

Painking.4703

what about the other 1%

That other 1% is making so much money that they don’t even need to get a job, as any League of Legends professional streamer can tell you.

Speaking of, Riot Games has a similar policy in place I believe: Don’t upload videos of their game and try to make money off of it. But ultimately what’s gonna make GW2 an E-sport is if the E-sport people decide that GW2 is good/balanced enough to be at their next big event to show off. I wonder if Anet’s ability to be considered an E-sport will affect future balance patches.

Regarding E-sport

Eochaidh.4106

Okay, I’ve just further read into the matter, and yes, apparently this is bigger than I thought. I hope Arenanet realizes that this is a mistake that has the potential to completely crush their popularity among a large group of players.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

People who make quality videos are just fine. It’s people who just record game content without adding anything to it that they’re really cracking down on.

Also, I’d prefer if GW2 didn’t become an e-sport, thanks.

Regarding E-sport

Eochaidh.4106

People who make quality videos are just fine. It’s people who just record game content without adding anything to it that they’re really cracking down on.

Are you sure? From what I’ve read, some channels such as woodenpotatoes are at jeopardy because of this policy, since it is monetized.

Regarding E-sport

ZiggyD.1689

Even quality commentaries and guides are being pinged by this though. This is going against even Fair Use.

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

I think all of us are going to be affected somehow

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Blaine.1263

Blaine.1263

I’ve seen a bunch of articles like this scattered on different gaming sites and all say the same thing; if they want to progress with e-sport, they should change their policy on this as it has some adverse affects. Not an area I know a great deal about, but it seemed like they knew what they were talking about.

Blaine – Warrior – Greatsword & Longbow
Sir Byren – Guardian – Mace/Shield & Scepter/Focus
Zaldoras – Necromancer – Staff & Scepter/Dagger

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

To be clear, I know this is seriously going to affect people that upload videos often like woodenpotatoes and people like him are really great, I was just saying you can post GW2 videos without worry. This is definitely a problem in the ToS, and I can’t see it lasting very long.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

And you know what? That isn’t quite the whole picture, so I’m going to clarify a bit. (Yes, I’m necro-posting, but y’all will forgive, right? )
Technically, it’s against the current Guild Wars 2 Content Terms of Use for people to make money through such things as monetizing a Guild Wars 2 video. However, we support people sharing their experiences with our game. (Heck, we <3 people doing that!) So while we want to do the right thing and accurately relay what the CToU says — because that’s often the question — we do not take action when fan sites support themselves via ads, and we don’t take action when the creators of fan videos place ads. In other words, we do not flag such videos.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-for-posting-videos-on-Youtube-others/first#post182021

Basically: You can do whatever with the videos, we don’t care.

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

Regarding E-sport

ZiggyD.1689

And you know what? That isn’t quite the whole picture, so I’m going to clarify a bit. (Yes, I’m necro-posting, but y’all will forgive, right? )
Technically, it’s against the current Guild Wars 2 Content Terms of Use for people to make money through such things as monetizing a Guild Wars 2 video. However, we support people sharing their experiences with our game. (Heck, we <3 people doing that!) So while we want to do the right thing and accurately relay what the CToU says — because that’s often the question — we do not take action when fan sites support themselves via ads, and we don’t take action when the creators of fan videos place ads. In other words, we do not flag such videos.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/account/Policy-for-posting-videos-on-Youtube-others/first#post182021

Hopefully they back that up by telling YouTube to stop flagging content. They are nice words and thats the approach they should have but it’s meaningless if they are still having YT flag our content.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Illushia.3721

Illushia.3721

Hopefully they back that up by telling YouTube to stop flagging content. They are nice words and thats the approach they should have but it’s meaningless if they are still having YT flag our content.

They say in the post that they don’t flag videos.

ANet aren’t the only people who can flag videos. =p

The Treesong Calling. Tarnished Coast RP.
http://treesongcalling.com/

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Reaper.8431

Reaper.8431

Eochaidh Are you that dumb? come on you cant be…so making a living off entertainment " youtube videos " isn’t considered a job? when you knowkittenwell 99% of us here are on youtube most of our time spent on the PC. you sir are a ERROR to life….

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Arrogoth.7085

Arrogoth.7085

Entertainer is an actual job. Just cause its not a traditional way of making money doesn’t mean it isn’t legit they found a way to put food on the table and pay the bills stop hating for no reason.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: marianitten.1247

marianitten.1247

watch this video, WoodenPotatoes answer about that :

For Those About to Zerg (We Salute You)

Regarding E-sport

Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh Are you that dumb? come on you cant be…so making a living off entertainment " youtube videos " isn’t considered a job? when you knowkittenwell 99% of us here are on youtube most of our time spent on the PC. you sir are a ERROR to life….

Go ahead and make a “living” out of something as unstable as Youtube videos then. It’s your life, not mine.

And all of that really is beyond the scope of this thread either way.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: CthulhuDawn.8194

CthulhuDawn.8194

E-sport = bad idea. Plain and simple. Stop with the e-sports.

Regarding E-sport

Zalmea.7320

Go ahead and make a “living” out of something as unstable as Youtube videos then. It’s your life, not mine.

People make living out of more unstable things then youtube . for a example Treasure finders

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Reaper.8431

Reaper.8431

People make living out of more unstable things then youtube . for a example Treasure finders

and drug dealers.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Deepcuts.9740

Deepcuts.9740

Who the kitty cat watches a GW2 “stream”?
What is the reason of watching someone else play?
I do not get it
Who invented the term “e-sport”? That is hilarious
This generation forgot what sport means it seems.

“- Hey, I have a heart condition. I think I will die”
“- Why?”
“- My heart can’t cope with my body weight…although I am doing e-sports. Must be the food….”

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

I do not get it

“- Why?”
“- My heart can’t cope with my body weight…although I am doing e-sports. Must be the food….”

Like chess right?

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: mechasauce.1309

mechasauce.1309

I do not get it

“- Why?”

The times..they be a changing!

E-sport is a perfectly valid sport. So is playing magic the gathering at pro level…
If you make money off it, whats the problem?

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I’m trying to see how it affects the game at all if they stick to the TOS.

I mean to the players, not people trying to make money off GW2.

We have a huge enough community of people willing to do fan content for free…

I didn’t know until this very thread that e-sport required the ability to make money from it. Thought it was just a game that had rankings and bracket-tournaments and stuff for the sport of it. I guess it’s like the olympics. To be an esport you have to make money at it.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: Dsmac.6325

Dsmac.6325

LMAO Arenanet is so behind. Popular people make money off internet videos/streams. So pretty much Arenanet doesn’t want popular people making money, therefore they do not want free advertising. There is a reason games such as League of legends, minecraft, amnesia etc got even bigger. All the videos and streams of those games helped spread the word and promoted the game. I guess they want people to watch Mist of Pandaria, borderlands 2 and torchlight 2 videos instead. Maybe Arenanet will one day realize players who watch videos of the game they are playing become more invested. This seems like it would be a good thing for a f2p game. Or maybe Arenanet thinks their mmo is so revolutionary and innovative that other games can’t compete.

Regarding E-sport

Posted by: JonathanSharp.7094

JonathanSharp.7094

Game Design Lead

Just wanted to point you guys at a thread for clarification on this.

Gaile has responded to a similar concern in another thread, so I wanted to let you guys know about it:

IGN: Chaplan
“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.”
-Arthur Schopenhauer