Regarding skill points and new expansion.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lysico.1297

lysico.1297

I used my boost on a thief with my plans for Deadeye spec. I have zero interest in daredevil spec right now.

So I am in HOT and farming hero points. When expansion goes, those HPs would be for my new elite?!

Or do I have fill in my first x-pac elite with hps then get more for next one?

Posted by: Joxer.6024

Joxer.6024

hang on to them if you don’t want DD.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

You ought to be able to use your hero points for Deadeye just fine.

The devs literally can’t require you to take Daredevil before Deadeye, since they are not bundling HoT with PoF. You can buy PoF without owning HoT, and thus locking the PoF specs behind the HoT specs is impossible, because those who don’t own HoT would be permanently locked out of their respective elite specs. Which would obviously be a huge mistake and result in a ton of bad press and angry players. Not going to happen.

The only thing they can do is jack up the prices on the new elite spec while making all the hero challenges in PoF give more per challenge, making it so that you can only reasonably get the PoF specs if you do PoF content.

But even then, saving your points from HoT means you can get Deadeye faster, even if you still need to do some PoF stuff to pad your numbers.

For example, lets say they made the PoF specs cost 600 hero points, then made the PoF hero challenges give you 30 points a piece. Even with every single hero point from HoTyou’d still fall short of getting the full Deadeye spec (though I think you’d reach that point if you had every point from both HoT and the core game, perhaps). But you’d have a good head start on getting there at least.

They may or may not even do that, depending on how much they want to force / incentivize the PoF maps. I mean, if they do go that route, skill point numbers are going to balloon completely out of control very quickly (the next expansion would need to hit 1000 or something) so I don’t know if they’ll go that direction or just count on the fact that most people are going to want both elite specs and / or will just want to play PoF for the sake of being new content and not JUST for the elite spec.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

Seeing as you can own PoF without HoT, it seems unlikely that the PoF elites would be gated behind HoT elites for those that own both.

There are a lot of spare hero points though (364 to be exact), so assuming PoF elites cost the same as HoT elites (not confirmed yet), there’s already enough hero points in game to unlock both.

Posted by: Imaginos.3756

Imaginos.3756

The devs literally can’t require you to take Daredevil before Deadeye, since they are not bundling HoT with PoF. You can buy PoF without owning HoT, and thus locking the PoF specs behind the HoT specs is impossible, because those who don’t own HoT would be permanently locked out of their respective elite specs. Which would obviously be a huge mistake and result in a ton of bad press and angry players. Not going to happen.

The only thing they can do is jack up the prices on the new elite spec while making all the hero challenges in PoF give more per challenge, making it so that you can only reasonably get the PoF specs if you do PoF content.

But even then, saving your points from HoT means you can get Deadeye faster, even if you still need to do some PoF stuff to pad your numbers.

For example, lets say they made the PoF specs cost 600 hero points, then made the PoF hero challenges give you 30 points a piece. Even with every single hero point from HoTyou’d still fall short of getting the full Deadeye spec (though I think you’d reach that point if you had every point from both HoT and the core game, perhaps). But you’d have a good head start on getting there at least.

They may or may not even do that, depending on how much they want to force / incentivize the PoF maps. I mean, if they do go that route, skill point numbers are going to balloon completely out of control very quickly (the next expansion would need to hit 1000 or something) so I don’t know if they’ll go that direction or just count on the fact that most people are going to want both elite specs and / or will just want to play PoF for the sake of being new content and not JUST for the elite spec.

They could also change the way that elite specs are unlocked and do something like require you to farm up 250 Glint Snot points from Glint Snot challenges in order to spend your snotdragon points unlocking your elite. I would expect them to do something to prevent everyone from buying their elite spec right out of the gate. I hope they don’t but I do expect that they will.

I do agree that they can’t make you have HoT after saying PoF is a stand alone expansion.

Posted by: Stitch.1794

Stitch.1794

They could also change the way that elite specs are unlocked and do something like require you to farm up 250 Glint Snot points from Glint Snot challenges in order to spend your snotdragon points unlocking your elite. I would expect them to do something to prevent everyone from buying their elite spec right out of the gate. I hope they don’t but I do expect that they will.

I do agree that they can’t make you have HoT after saying PoF is a stand alone expansion.

I think a completely new type of hero point is unlikely. Last time round, there were already enough points to unlock almost half of the elite spec (which changed to 80% when elite spec costs got reduced from 400 to 250), and we were able to use those pre-existing points.

There was also a fairly common complaint last time that people wanted to play the new content with the new spec, rather than have to get deep into it before they had enough points to unlock it.

Based on that, I think it’d be odd for the new elite specs to be locked behind a new type of hero point, or inflated prices. We’ll just have to wait and see, last time round the elite spec costs were at least announced prior to launch (about a week before IIRC).

(Also you’re pretty much spot on about reaching 600 between HoT and core if you don’t spend any on the HoT elite spec, there are 614 hero points available)

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

They could also change the way that elite specs are unlocked and do something like require you to farm up 250 Glint Snot points from Glint Snot challenges in order to spend your snotdragon points unlocking your elite.

Ask “snot” what your MMO can do for you, but what you can do for your MMO!

Attachments: