Regarding the no content hiatus.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Djemo.7153

Djemo.7153

From what i gather from the post about the break from updates up to the January the 21th, you are doing it so you will make all the other things you missed on doing from that 2013 post a reality, am i correct?

If so just a reminder that you, amongst other things, promised new legendaries.
I count in the group of such individuals who saved allot of cash cause they found the current legendaries not suited to their characters.
So on the behalf of me and my like minded individuals, hop to it.
If you can throw out content bi-weekly and have it be semi good im sure a whole month (or more since i doubt it will pop in the first content updates) is more than enough time to focus on getting the rest of that 2013 list “crossed off”.

And make us a good staff this time around. :O

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

It’s hard to keep any interest in the LS when there’s so much time between updates.

Djemo.7153

Oh i dont care about the LS, their 2 week timeline has proven month in and month out to be a failure when put in comparison to things like the Molten Facility or that flying city (i forget the name, when the elections were).

They should focus on getting that list of promises they failed to put till the end of 2013 done. Plus theres always a chance they might revert their patch timelines depending on how well accepted this work of a 1 month break LS will be.

But getting those promises done is the primary goal.
My necro yearns for a legendary staff.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

How about less complaining until you’ve done all the content?

Posted by: Pandeh.5248

Pandeh.5248

Starting January 21st we get 4 patches, one every two weeks. My guess is that after that, which would be we get a “big” update in the middle of march with new legendaries, precursor scavenger hunt and some other things. A new PvP map and game mode? Maybe they throw in WvW season 2 aswell.

Djemo.7153

@Azure How about you make me.

@Pandeh

I hope you are right, though the S2 should probably be postponed till they figure out how to not mess it up again.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

From my interpretation of the blog post the break is for 8 more weeks of Scarlet.
Then everything comes after that.

Posted by: Garb Cost.3718

Garb Cost.3718

Popcornz!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Wow are they allowed to have an end of year break?

How about you see how the LS wraps up?
For all you know they are introducing something huge after that.

If you really can’t find things to do in the game meanwhile may I suggest you spend some time with your family

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It’s the holidays, friend! The teams need a break to spend time with loved ones just like all of us. It’s good for people who are so passionate about their work (I have seen many a dev post here on the weekends when most of us are off work) to step back and get sometime away so they can be constructively critical about the work they do. Sometimes we need time to refresh and get away. Sometimes it’s good for players to take a break as well to get some perspective about the fact that it’s just a game and we shouldn’t take it so seriously as to lose sight that people need a holiday every so often.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Xylith.4873

Xylith.4873

I wouldn’t expect anything over Christmas. I work as a Software Developer and we have a “Code Freeze” when we hit December. Everything starts to wind down as there will be the majority of staff on holiday. There will probably be a skeleton crew, but they’ll be working on maintenance of servers and bug fixing, not new content.

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

aren’t you a cute little tough guy

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

It’s the holidays, friend! The teams need a break to spend time with loved ones just like all of us. It’s good for people who are so passionate about their work (I have seen many a dev post here on the weekends when most of us are off work) to step back and get sometime away so they can be constructively critical about the work they do. Sometimes we need time to refresh and get away. Sometimes it’s good for players to take a break as well to get some perspective about the fact that it’s just a game and we shouldn’t take it so seriously as to lose sight that people need a holiday every so often.

^^^^^^^^^ This!

They deserve a break and it’s nice for the players not to feel rushed to do the current content (Wintersday) at a time when a lot of us will be spending time away from the game enjoying the Christmas season, family and friends.

Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

Ascended armor takes a long time to farm for. I’m glad I don’t have to rush to the next update to get it done.

Xylith.4873

^^^^^^^^^ This!

They deserve a break and it’s nice for the players not to feel rushed to do the current content (Wintersday) at a time when a lot of us will be spending time away from the game enjoying the Christmas season, family and friends.

Merry Christmas!

Time away from the game? Dunno about you, but this will be my time WITH the game. I barely get chance while working and seeing friends and family normally.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

As much as I think the pace of the Living Story has gotten much better since about October I’m glad of a break because it gives me more time to do other things in the game like dungeons, map completion, levelling alts etc.

And like other people said the developers need some time off over Christmas. In my experience software developers of all kinds are really bad at actually stopping working but they should at least be given time in the schedule to take a break.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Adventurous Cookie.1658

Adventurous Cookie.1658

We need more dragons.

Attachments:

Anet, you’re breaking my heart! You’re going down a path I cannot follow!

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

From what I understood, no update until 21th January. It’s legit, that’s called holidays.
From 21th January, we get 4 updates only dealing with LS and absolutely nothing else (probably just a few minor fixes).
Then comes the big feature only update, 18th March, that finally brings update with content/fixes etc … corewise.
Hope it helps

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Here’s to hoping their hiatus is for the holidays and they are with their families for the next month or so.

Let’s save the anger and hostilities for the other 11 months of the year. Enjoy your holidays ANet folks!

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: EverythingXen.1835

EverythingXen.1835

Anything to improve the quality of Anet’s flagship PvE content initiative/concept is a good thing.

If there needs to be a hiatus to give the content more time for polish, I’m thankful Anet’s willing to do it.

I pray this becomes a trend.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

What I keep in mind is “4 more releases with Scarlet”…

Regarding the hiatus, finally some breathe!

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Xylith.4873

Anything to improve the quality of Anet’s flagship PvE content initiative/concept is a good thing.

If there needs to be a hiatus to give the content more time for polish, I’m thankful Anet’s willing to do it.

The hiatus won’t be for polishing content, it’s because people will be, rightfully so, taking time off over Christmas.

EverythingXen.1835

The hiatus won’t be for polishing content, it’s because people will be, rightfully so, taking time off over Christmas.

What world do you live in where Christmas goes through most of January?

I’ll take a little of column A with my column B.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What world do you live in where software is developed at the same time as it’s released?

The update that’s missing here is one in early January, specifically the 7th. Contrary to popular belief Anet do not produce each update in the 2 weeks since the last one came out. In order to release anything then they would have to be working on it during mid-late Decemeber, aka the Christmas period.

But instead they’re taking time off, skipping a release and coming back after the holidays to finish it. (Although I assume they’re also doing some work on those up-coming updates now, since they’ve said before they have 4 Living World teams who each spend about 4 months working on their releases.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

EverythingXen.1835

Why cant I just believe Anet’s putting quality ahead of release schedule….

I like my fantasy world better.

Xylith.4873

One where apparently you have no idea what it’s like working as a Software Developer. They won’t get back and immediately release content. They could potentially be part way through development, getting back will be a final push and then testing. Or they will have finished pretty much all of it, but require time to test new content and I dare say a slight bit of regression if they have time. Depends on how they run with their Development Life Cycle.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

This is only skipping 1 update since we are basically getting the Dec 10 + Dec 24 updates at the same time if you look at the usual amount of stuff being released each time.

Posted by: Blanger.3162

Blanger.3162

^^^^^^^^^ This!

Merry Christmas!

Time away from the game? Dunno about you, but this will be my time WITH the game. I barely get chance while working and seeing friends and family normally.

LOL… I was generalizing, I too hope to spend more time in game during the holidays also.

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

F

I count in the group of such individuals who saved allot of cash cause they found the current legendaries not suited to their characters.

And also make legendaries account bound please. It sucks putting so much effort into a legendary that just sits in my bag unused because the meta forced new weapon sets.

Djemo.7153

Ofc they can take a break, they can kitten the whole time during the holidays for all i care.
Just wanted to remind them that whilst doing all this self amusement they might wanna reflect on all the things still missing from that 2013 list (that they brought up in their own post btw) and think how to implement if as soon as possible.
Considering they will be on a hiatus im sure they can spare time to at least ponder on the ways to put it all ingame in the few months to come.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

Regardless of why they’re taking a break, I am glad that they are taking a break.

Putting out content ever 2 weeks is not only hard for people who are completionists (thankfully not me) but the quality is lacking. I believe that if they take their time with the updates and LS releases a bit more, that maybe the quality would be a bit better, and we would be more relaxed going into it.

I will be happy when Scarlet goes away, but not for the reason you’re thinking. I will be happy when she’s gone because I am tired of people whining at how bad she is. That’s way more irritating than anything Scarlet is actually guilty of.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Guardian.5142

Guardian.5142

Happy Holidays ANet! Have a great time with your family!

What did ANET do when the sheer mass of the event ZERG was too much for the server to support?
They had to SPAWN MORE OVERFLOWS!

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I’m happy that they’re taking this vacation. Whew.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

From what i gather from the post about the break from updates up to the January the 21th, you are doing it so you will make all the other things you missed on doing from that 2013 post a reality, am i correct?

So on the behalf of me and my like minded individuals, hop to it.
If you can throw out content bi-weekly and have it be semi good im sure a whole month (or more since i doubt it will pop in the first content updates) is more than enough time to focus on getting the rest of that 2013 list “crossed off”.

And make us a good staff this time around. :O

My guess is that it’s actually two things…

First, they’re most likely getting some well deserved time off during christmas so they can spend some time with the family (specially considering how long and unrewarding work hours can be on the gaming industry in general), and second, they probably realized long time ago that having a buch of temporary content being released on the 24th (when the next LS path was due if they kept their regular schedule), the day when lots of people take vacation and travel to spend the holidays with their families so they probably won’t be able to play for a while, wasn’t such a good idea.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: bobbles.5940

bobbles.5940

i keep seeing 21th and facepalming , now I have a headache … thnx

Posted by: ElenaDragon.8401

ElenaDragon.8401

I think it’s a perfect time for a break. Devs get to celebrate the holidays, and players who go on vacation or can’t play for a while don’t miss new content. The two week schedule has been a bit hectic to me.

Posted by: VampyreJack.9183

VampyreJack.9183

i honestly doubt they are going to give their employees a break, at least not a good chunk of them, unfortunately. They’ll likely be taking this extra time to take care of more stuff in the game moving into next year and trying to catch up with their schedule. Possible, though i hope it’s not the case. I know what it’s like to never have off days (not even on Christmas)…so i hope somewhere out there, people are getting off work.