Relics from GW2's development

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

So I recently watched a GDC 2013 talk on GW2 that was uploaded to youtube today, and I found some gems in the presentation. I think it would be fun to have a discussion on what GW2 used to be, its roots, and where it is now as an experience.

I still remember the profession reveal trailers and some of the reactions I had. You can still find some videos on skills that either no longer accurately represent the current implementations or that don’t exist at all. I also remember learning about charge skills, where the longer you hold down the skill the more powerful it becomes. That mechanic still exists in game (Trebuchets, Catapults, etc), but none are for profession skills. I wonder what some of those skills might look like if they were implemented in a future update.

What are some other things y’all can think of? Even better, what old things can you see inspired new design? Here’s a UI sample to have fun with.

Attachments:

Fishsticks

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

Ooh, fun stuff! I remember them mentioning crafting hp/mana potions once. I’m glad they dumped that idea, lol. Oh and the Sylvari redesign!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

From about a year before launch where they were still working out the skill/Hero points, saying that each profession would have a profession specific ability to advance.

iirc the example given was that elementalists would search the world for books of power and reading the book would increase their abilities.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

I remember seeing energy bars and mana potions. And I remember seeing skill trainer scrolls with multiple tiers of each skill. Boy did that trigger me something fierce.

I quit WoW to play GW, and there I was finding out about GW2 little by little and it was looking like World of Guildwarscraft! RaWr!

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commando
I still miss this class.. why was it discontinued..

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I remember that giant underwater creature from the original trailer that never made it into the game. So hope one day it does though!

(5.38)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Commando
I still miss this class.. why was it discontinued..

Whilst I know it was an April Fools joke and not a real prof, it would be kinda cool to see it become an elite for Warrior or Engie one day.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I remember that giant underwater creature from the original trailer that never made it into the game. So hope one day it does though!

(5.38)

Ah, you’re right, a giant head at the end of the trailer.. hmm..
It’s stoic in form.. so I don’t think its primordial or risen.. maybe glacial but also unlikely..
My best guess is, its a scrapped champion for the DSD..

Posted by: Jaxom.7310

Jaxom.7310

ah yeah i member! you member? i member playing swtor before gw2 too! do u member light sabers?

edit: i member manifesto too!

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

I wish my Eviscerate was at the same cooldown and had the same range as in the skill promo video (which is still shown on the homepage).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=menV2oBRcBM

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: cyn.2157

cyn.2157

FWIW the ‘giant head’ at the end of the trailer looks to be this (which indeed is not yet ‘in game’ though there are models):

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Leviathan

-Fade Nightshade (thief all the way, baby)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Snakes. Bring back the snakes! Lol.