[Reminder] Physical store Disks not working

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SaskiaElite.8132

SaskiaElite.8132

Just a friendly reminder: if you try to install via disks that purchased from a store, do not bother. Setup does not even install half of the game data. Its automatically starts to download entire game from %0. I’d like to also remind you guys (devs) not everyone have a superb ultra fiber max connection, there’s many other countries in world and not everyone lives in US or UK.

Thanks alot for making my disks useless.

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I always save my GW2 folder now when I have to format. That is one hell of a long download. Only took one time for me to learn that lesson.

Reminds me of attempting to play on a USB smartphone tether connection with 15kb of bandwidth , all I could do was gather.

SaskiaElite.8132

I always save my GW2 folder now when I have to format. That is one hell of a long download. Only took one time for me to learn that lesson.

Reminds me of attempting to play on a USB smartphone tether connection with 15kb of bandwidth , all I could do was gather.

Yes, I will save it to my 1TB backup disk when I finished download. Probably take 15+ hours or so since I don’t have the best speed on the world.

Good thing I don’t have download limit

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The original, ~4 year old disc? You can manually do it by copying the files and merging them into Gw2.dat using the command: copy /b Gw2.js* Gw2.dat

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I empathize with your pain but I will note there is not much ANet can do about it. Physical disks can only contain the game build extant at the time the disks are recorded. Every patch thereafter will be digitally transferred. They have only released physical disks at vanilla launch and at HoT launch, while they have patched as frequently as every week or two for years, including huge quarterly updates.

So any ANet-made disk will save you -some- time in getting base files, but then progressing to the current build will perforce require downloads.

Or, I suppose, if you have a friend near you that has the game, you can get a copy of his/her client as that can freely be copied and loaded. Then you just need to stick in your own custom file of keybinds etc. Or maybe have a friend mail you the client on a thumb drive? A trusted friend, that is, who you know will give you a clean copy.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

It’s not feasible these days to put the most updated and complete game on a disc; especially with a game that keeps getting updated. I don’t think that’s a reasonable request of any game for the past 20 years— I mean they can’t just take the disc out of the box and update it every time the game gets updated. This isn’t 1995 when all the games pretty much came as is. Heck even Brood War when the online installer is used, only has the 2nd most recent patch and that’s a 20 year old game that fits on a thumb drive.

I understand that perhaps newer discs should probably contain more than the stock release, but that still will have the same problems.

Discs a dying medium for storing data; just gotta be happy the installation is 100% portable and can be on an external hd , which is something I can’t say for many games.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

SaskiaElite.8132

It’s not feasible these days to put the most updated and complete game on a disc; especially with a game that keeps getting updated. I don’t think that’s a reasonable request of any game for the past 20 years— I mean they can’t just take the disc out of the box and update it every time the game gets updated. This isn’t 1995 when all the games pretty much came as is. Heck even Brood War when the online installer is used, only has the 2nd most recent patch and that’s a 20 year old game/

Discs a dying medium for storing data; just gotta be happy the installation is 100% portable and can be on an external hd , which is something I can’t say for many games.

“Discs a dying medium for storing data”

Yes, thats what happens when companies like Microsoft,Apple focusing on technology too much. This is one of the reasons I didn’t upgraded to Windows 10 because Windows 7 is a working and successful OS.

thanks for your informative reply

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

32 GB flash drive specifically for GW1 and 2 backups is my solution now.

100% agree with you on Win 7 too OP

ArchonWing.9480

It’s not feasible these days to put the most updated and complete game on a disc; especially with a game that keeps getting updated. I don’t think that’s a reasonable request of any game for the past 20 years— I mean they can’t just take the disc out of the box and update it every time the game gets updated. This isn’t 1995 when all the games pretty much came as is. Heck even Brood War when the online installer is used, only has the 2nd most recent patch and that’s a 20 year old game/

“Discs a dying medium for storing data”

Yes, thats what happens when companies like Microsoft,Apple focusing on technology too much. This is one of the reasons I didn’t upgraded to Windows 10 because Windows 7 is a working and successful OS.

thanks for your informative reply

7? RIP XP 2 OS’s too good for their own good, and yes I find the underhanded methods to kill 7 to be disgusting because it’s really a case of forcing a need when it’s dubious you need one. And yes, Windows 10 has been good to me and I think it’s better, but that doesn’t change matters.

I will say that the “online only” reqs of modern games also suck too. It’s somewhat forgivable in this game, but for single player games? Yea….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You do know that the % is relative to how many files(not amount of data) you need to download right? Even if all you are missing is a 1 file it will start at 0%.

ArchonWing.9480

True, but isn’t that kind of a useless bar then? I imagine people would be more concerned on how much longer they have to wait?