Remove JP requirement for shoulder item!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rufus.2651

Rufus.2651

Winter’s Presence shoulder item JP requirement? I can try my best to do the other achievements, but the JP is just not going to happen for people that have medical issues with their hands. People that suffer from carpal tunnel or arthritis are pretty much SOL when it comes to doing the JP puzzle once, let alone 3 times. Please consider removing the requirement for the JP ANET!

Posted by: Risingashes.8694

Risingashes.8694

> People that suffer from carpal tunnel or arthritis are pretty much SOL

A game should not be designed around people with medical conditions.

Having empathy for people with niche requirements is a good thing to do, but there’s a gigantic chasm between accommodation and breaking the game for other people to serve a slither of the population.

There are enough medical conditions that cover such a wide range of abilities that literally every piece of content couldn’t be used as a requirement if “every player must be able to do it” was a design philosophy.

Posted by: Rayzah.4235

Rayzah.4235

So what about the people without medical issues? I’ve tried this JP for hours, last year and this year, but I’m not able to do it. And I know a lot of people who are also not able doing it.

I do accept that I’m not good enough to play raids for example, but Wintersday is a festival. Festivals should be fun for all people and since Winter’s Presence is the only big new thing that is worth to work for, is it fair to exclude so many people from it?

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

While getting the new special shiny is nice and all, I hardly think its the “only” thing that makes the festival enjoyable. Its there for people who want to go a step beyond and get something extra special with a wad of gold and a variety of skills. The festival activities themselves and the other rewards like the star of gratitude are the stuff meant to be more for “everyone”.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

A game should not be designed around people with medical conditions.

Having empathy for people with niche requirements is a good thing to do, but there’s a gigantic chasm between accommodation and breaking the game for other people to serve a slither of the population.

Yeah, but removing the JP requirement from a shoulder item is hardly going to be “game breaking.”

Posted by: Takoyakii.2146

Takoyakii.2146

This jumping puzzle is fairly easy to learn honestly.

Rayzah.4235

While getting the new special shiny is nice and all, I hardly think its the “only” thing that makes the festival enjoyable. Its there for people who want to go a step beyond and get something extra special with a wad of gold and a variety of skills. The festival activities themselves and the other rewards like the star of gratitude are the stuff meant to be more for “everyone”.

These activities are exactly the same than last year. I personally need a goal to work towards to do the same stuff every year.

This jumping puzzle is fairly easy to learn honestly.

So please tell me how I can improve my reaction time

(edited by Rayzah.4235)

Posted by: Kruhljak.2705

Kruhljak.2705

IMO, there’s too much stuff tied to doing these stupid JP’s, anyway. How about actual interesting content, instead?

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

The problem is that it is a timed jumping puzzle. I’ve been slowly managing to get the other JPs by carefully crawling through it.

My hardware setup isn’t good enough to do this JP in time, particularly if I have to turn in a hurry.

I didn’t complain about the other stuff that you have to work to earn. I didn’t complain about the raid being difficult. Those I expected and accept. This — is just disappointing to me because I was looking forward to it.

Even if I could buy a pass or find a clever way to use my own mesmer’s portal to “save” my progress in case I miss a jump, I’d be okay with it. This just disappoints me.

Oh well, I’m glad Clock Tower wasn’t a requirement for anything special on Halloween, at least.

Posted by: Dejavu.2349

Dejavu.2349

I’m not worried about the jumping puzzle… but where the hell am I going to get 10,000 drinks before this is over? I have to travel for Christmas, so I have until next Tuesday. My husband and I spent 10 hours on this today and we only got around 500ish drinks. If I spend 10 hours a day for the remaining 7 days I have before I have to go out of town, I will have around 3500 drinks. So… basically, I have done every other requirement for the shoulders, but I do not physically have time to earn that many drinks. Right now, If you were to buy them straight-up, it’d be 873 gold. This BS is why I quit skyforge (not that it was a great game anyway, of course)… it’s holiday stuff was virtually unattainable.

Starting a thread about this in hopes that someone has some ideas for me.

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

I’m not worried about the jumping puzzle… but where the hell am I going to get 10,000 drinks before this is over? I have to travel for Christmas, so I have until next Tuesday. My husband and I spent 10 hours on this today and we only got around 500ish drinks. If I spend 10 hours a day for the remaining 7 days I have before I have to go out of town, I will have around 3500 drinks. So… basically, I have done every other requirement for the shoulders, but I do not physically have time to earn that many drinks. Right now, If you were to buy them straight-up, it’d be 873 gold. This BS is why I quit skyforge (not that it was a great game anyway, of course)… it’s holiday stuff was virtually unattainable.

Starting a thread about this in hopes that someone has some ideas for me.

Seriously think each winter’s day alcohol should give like 4~8 points worth of requirement like ALL THE OTHER ALCOHOL
It’s much more realistic this way.

Posted by: Tachi.7361

Tachi.7361

It’s a collection achievement, not a festival one. You don’t necessarily need to get all the alcohol before the end of the event. Keep in mind that prices on the TP might go down over time too. On one hand, more people coming on throughout the event means more people going for the collection…and maybe more looking at the collection, deciding they can’t do it/it’s not worth it and selling their booze. And maybe when the collection can’t be started anymore after the event, people won’t be as keen to buy it and prices will drop?

But yeah, on topic, not really a fan of platforms breaking after a second or two and taking a bit to respawn in a situation involving other characters…especially when platforms breaking a bit further ahead results in me falling to my death.

(edited by Tachi.7361)

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

By not making excuses and actively going out of your way, even though it may not be appealing or easy and just taking small steps.

Eventually you will build up muscle memory and be able to do the puzzle almost instinctively.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I did it :D While it wasn’t exactly the most pleasant experience in this game (in fact defending a point against a bunker mesmer earlier this week and trivially losing a few 3v1’s in PvP were more enjoyable) I can offer some advice:

1.Set pretty much everything to the lowest setting. I have a 4k monitor so subsample helped the most.

2.Maximum sensitity on your mouse. When you hold your mouse buttons to aim your character you want the camera to be in sync with your character.

3.After you at the checkpoint is a good idea. Sometimes those big characters will obstruct you.

I’m a lefty and still managed to do it with some persistence, hand washing, glasses of water, and couple of cups of tea. All I did with my left hand was press a button, requiring even less dexterity than flipping pancakes or throwing stuff. I needed to utilize some very fine wrist movement with my right hand to complete it and nearly all fails were miscalculated jumps (“calculate” not being the correct word maybe because there’s no real time to gauge your landing and you need to maintain a good trajectory or else you’ll lose your motion.)

The achievement is more about trial and error and memory more than anything.

Keep at it, you’ll eventually make it!

I would also like to apologize for the pictures’ low quality. I didn’t revert my graphical settings :( Still, 60 fps were more important for completion than having relatively smooth edges at 30 fps.

Attachments:

(edited by Agemnon.4608)

Rayzah.4235

By not making excuses and actively going out of your way, even though it may not be appealing or easy and just taking small steps.

Eventually you will build up muscle memory and be able to do the puzzle almost instinctively.

You made me laugh. Maybe I should get a personal trainer for that. Oh wait, GW is a game and Wintersday is a festival, maybe a bit exaggerated. I’m not making excuses, me not being able to do this is the third sure thing, between death and taxes. I wasted a lot of time till now on that and I will not waste anymore.

TexZero.7910

You made me laugh. Maybe I should get a personal trainer for that. Oh wait, GW is a game and Wintersday is a festival, maybe a bit exaggerated. I’m not making excuses, me not being able to do this is the third sure thing, between death and taxes. I wasted a lot of time till now on that and I will not waste anymore.

Do you want the shoulder item or not ?

If so, while you may be laughing, you’ll have to put in the time and effort to complete the puzzle. Not everyone learns at the same rate, and while you’re no prodigy you are human and are capable of overcoming challenges. I mean unless you’re actually a cat in which case disregard prior comment.

Now i wouldn’t at all be against the snowglobe being a sell-able item that was given every 10 or 20 runs….. I’d love to make more money for minimal effort

(edited by TexZero.7910)

Posted by: Rayti.6531

Rayti.6531

In case you change your mind at some point: You could try and watch a few videos of other people doing the JP. There are 3 different paths – that’s something to keep in mind.

However, once you know the paths you don’t need “reaction time” – at least not for the normal jumping part. The paths don’t change unexpectedly and the timing/timer for platform despawns is always the same (as are the timings for wind, snowballs, etc.).

The only part I could imagine to require some reaction time are the parcels after the checkpoint. But even there, there are safer paths to pick where they don’t pop too fast/much. Just keep in mind, that other players trigger the parcels as well, so maybe you should jump over the parcels when there aren’t many other players there.

Rayzah.4235

If so, while you may be laughing, you’ll have to put in the time and effort to complete the puzzle. Not everyone learns at the same rate, and while you’re no prodigy you are human and are capable of overcoming challenges. I mean unless you’re actually a cat in which case disregard prior comment.

Now i wouldn’t at all be against the snowglobe being a sell-able item that was given every 10 or 20 runs….. I’d love to make more money for minimal effort

Shure I do want this shoulders, but be honest, would you waste lots of time if you clearly know that it is not going to happen? And I clearly know that, as I wrote I tried this for hours, not only a few times. But at some point I’m giving it up, otherwise it would drive me mad.

Aomine.5012

Shure I do want this shoulders, but be honest, would you waste lots of time if you clearly know that it is not going to happen? And I clearly know that, as I wrote I tried this for hours, not only a few times. But at some point I’m giving it up, otherwise it would drive me mad.

Yeah, everyone would be wasting 100 hrs for the 10k drinks.
You should at least waste 1/10 of that for the JP.
Try JP for 100 hrs and still failing b4 you come here to complain
Realisticly it doesn’t even take that long. I bet you have your setting wrong.
Change some setting and watch a youtube video for a change.

I really can’t imagine that you would realistically stand for getting 10000 present, which would take near 100 hours, within 30 or less days if you can’t even stand several hours of practicing or “researching” (like watching a youtube video several times to memorize the path) for the JP.

Well, you’d probably solve the issue with your credit card most likely.
Inb4 alternative method for 10000 drinks/presents

(edited by Aomine.5012)

Posted by: RoRo.8270

RoRo.8270

So what about the people without medical issues? I’ve tried this JP for hours, last year and this year, but I’m not able to do it. And I know a lot of people who are also not able doing it.

I do accept that I’m not good enough to play raids for example, but Wintersday is a festival. Festivals should be fun for all people and since Winter’s Presence is the only big new thing that is worth to work for, is it fair to exclude so many people from it?

I assure you that you can enjoy this festival without doing the jumping puzzle as there are many other things to do.

Posted by: Methods.4023

Methods.4023

I bet 90% of people that have a hard time with jumping puzzles are using keyboard to turn and not the mouse. Pro tip use the mouse to turn. It will be hard at first if you’re use to keyboard turning but you will get use to it. Also use keys like w a s d to move you character. Don’t hold down both mouse buttons to move

ekarat.1085

I bet 90% of people that have a hard time with jumping puzzles are using keyboard to turn and not the mouse. Pro tip use the mouse to turn. It will be hard at first if you’re use to keyboard turning but you will get use to it. Also use keys like w a s d to move you character. Don’t hold down both mouse buttons to move

I don’t have a mouse.

Posted by: cakemonkey.6347

cakemonkey.6347

You can buy drinks from the TP.

You can’t buy JP completion.

Posted by: Albadaran.1283

Albadaran.1283

I Always fail Jumping Puzzles. Even many vistas are too hard for me to do…

ekarat.1085

If you could do this slowly and methodically, I would have no issue with this requirement.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think a couple of things might help with the JP hate.

1) Remove or modify the built in timers (mainly the health degen, snowflake rotation doesnt seem to bad)

Or

2) Give us our skills back and let us help each other.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

ekarat.1085

1) Remove or modify the built in timers (mainly the health degen, snowflake rotation doesnt seem to bad)

Or

Snowflake rotation gets me every single time. I can always buff my vitality.

Please slow down or remove the timers and I will struggle through it.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Or

Which snowflake path are you taking? I know I had issues with the snowflakes at first, but after a few (ok a lot of) attempts I did get the hang of it. It does feel like some paths are easier than others.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I’d have to agree.

It probably would have been better if they just turned the karma item rewards we use for the collection into tokens. That way we could have chosen which activities best suited us for the shoulder piece, and we could have skipped the one or two we would prefer not to do. Because I’m sure there is a bunch of people that would prefer to skip the drink achievement and just do the JP, and others would do the drinks over the JP.

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

NO.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

You have to make an effort to earn something in game whaaaaaat?

(edited by Oxidia.8103)

Posted by: Arkanthor.2307

Arkanthor.2307

Please remove it, change it or put more checkpoints. This jumping puzzle is absoulutely hideous and there are some people (like me) that are unable to do it. Just let us do anything else and actually enjoy the event instead of just falling again and again and again in the wnter nightmare.

Thanks to my illusions this combat is nothing but a stage scene.
You should prepare for your great finale.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Yes! Remove this requirement!!!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: White Hunter.3416

White Hunter.3416

This kitten JP harder than Spirit Vale. And you have to repeat it 3 times -_\\

Posted by: Gav.1425

Gav.1425

Winter’s Presence shoulder item JP requirement? I can try my best to do the other achievements, but the JP is just not going to happen for people that have medical issues with their hands. People that suffer from carpal tunnel or arthritis are pretty much SOL when it comes to doing the JP puzzle once, let alone 3 times. Please consider removing the requirement for the JP ANET!

Buy a parafin

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I say keep the requirement. Helps to make the shoulder item a bit more exclusive.

For those that are struggling, if you happen to have a guildie or friend that you trust, you could always have them do it for you. I know some people are hesitant to give out login information, but I’ve gone on long vacations before and given my login info to a guildie I trusted (to get my login rewards) and it worked out great!

Unless that’s against the ToS for some reason, in which case everything I said is completely fabricated and has never happened, not even once.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: cakemonkey.6347

cakemonkey.6347

I say keep the requirement. Helps to make the shoulder item a bit more exclusive.

For those that are struggling, if you happen to have a guildie or friend that you trust, you could always have them do it for you. I know some people are hesitant to give out login information, but I’ve gone on long vacations before and given my login info to a guildie I trusted (to get my login rewards) and it worked out great!

Unless that’s against the ToS for some reason, in which case everything I said is completely fabricated and has never happened, not even once.

It is against ToS.

ekarat.1085

Or

Which snowflake path are you taking? I know I had issues with the snowflakes at first, but after a few (ok a lot of) attempts I did get the hang of it. It does feel like some paths are easier than others.

I’ve tried all of them. Is there one you would recommend if my problem is that I can’t turn quickly (since I can’t use a mouse)?

I’m willing to make an effort, but I want to succeed eventually.

Posted by: Erukk.1408

Erukk.1408

I would be for this if it wasn’t a holiday item. Holidays are suppose to be the breaks we get in between the actual content, and their items are suppose to be fun things everyone can get.

If they want to add more exclusive items, they can feel free to add more stuff behind hard modes, achievements, and raids.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Or

I’ve tried all of them. Is there one you would recommend if my problem is that I can’t turn quickly (since I can’t use a mouse)?

Hmmm… I think Quaggan is the most straight forward, with the least amount of turns. Its pretty much straight, except for the section around the tower, and they all have that to varying extents. I’m guessing this is where you typically have the most issue?

Lack of mouse is definitely a problem. Keyboard rotation just isnt fast enough. You’ll want to avoid the snowman path definitely, I’m always rotating my mouse for the climb up that path.

Aomine.5012

Or

I think we notify your problem now.

Go get a mouse for GW2 please.
You’d perform way-worse w/o a mouse in any other contents too.
You’re handicap yourself.

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Or

I think we notify your problem now.

Go get a mouse for GW2 please.
You’d perform way-worse w/o a mouse in any other contents too.
You’re handicap yourself.

Take a step back and read how he phrased it. “Cant use” not “I dont have” There may be legitimate reasons why a person can’t use a mouse. Try to be a bit less callous.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Seriously, I tried to stop reading after “it may not be appealing”, but I just could not do it. The fascinating point here is, you´re not even wrong. But what is this, a game or some kind of physiotheraphy? Muscle memory to make unappealing content is an actual argument in an MMO? People are not recovering from an accident, they are looking for fun in their spare time…

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

It is against ToS.

Well then it’s a good thing I’ve never done it and everything I said was purely theoretical. Yep.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Oh for the good old days, when acquiring things didn’t require platforming skills. Three years of playing gw2 and I was NEVER required to do a jp for a festival or event skin. Jumping puzzles were just sideshow attractions that were available to those who enjoyed them. They were never forced down your throat……

Then comes HoT……… It’s as if the development team has been taken over by Nintendo nerds. Platforming keeps being emphasized since the release of the expansion.

I went to play a rpg and a platformer game broke out. Change the name to Mario Wars 2.

Anet, please go back to your original stance on platforming. Let it be around but not mandatory.

TexZero.7910

Seriously, I tried to stop reading after “it may not be appealing”, but I just could not do it. The fascinating point here is, you´re not even wrong. But what is this, a game or some kind of physiotheraphy? Muscle memory to make unappealing content is an actual argument in an MMO? People are not recovering from an accident, they are looking for fun in their spare time…

Fun is relative though. Rewards are concrete however, the item is a reward, not fun.

You can do many things for fun, you have to do many things to be rewarded. That’s the difference.

Again it may not be something you actively enjoy, personally i hate the bell choir game. Am i going to let my own rhythmic ineptitude stop me from trying ? No. Eventually i’ll be able to complete a song and not feel hopeless.

Do i think they could have been nice and made the achievement items sell-able and have limitless repeatable acquisition, sure. But then you’d open up a can of worms where-in people complain about Gold being all that’s required for the unique skin.

Is there potentially another solution ? Sure.
Do i think removing part of the requirements is ever going to be it ? No.

(edited by TexZero.7910)

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

If they would award tokens each time you complete a festival event( bell choir, windersday jp, infinitarium, snowball fight) and then have a token requirement to get the collectibles. That way people could have played the content they enjoyed and get the skin too.

Posted by: Arkanthor.2307

Arkanthor.2307

If they would award tokens each time you complete a festival event( bell choir, windersday jp, infinitarium, snowball fight) and then have a token requirement to get the collectibles. That way people could have played the content they enjoyed and get the skin too.

+10000000000000000000 To this one. Even if we could only skip one of the requirements by spending these wintersday tokens it would be amazing.

Thanks to my illusions this combat is nothing but a stage scene.
You should prepare for your great finale.

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

Fun is relative though. Rewards are concrete however, the item is a reward, not fun.

You can do many things for fun, you have to do many things to be rewarded. That’s the difference.

Again it may not be something you actively enjoy, personally i hate the bell choir game. Am i going to let my own rhythmic ineptitude stop me from trying ? No. Eventually i’ll be able to complete a song and not feel hopeless.

Do i think they could have been nice and made the achievement items sell-able and have limitless repeatable acquisition, sure. But then you’d open up a can of worms where-in people complain about Gold being all that’s required for the unique skin.

Is there potentially another solution ? Sure.
Do i think removing part of the requirements is ever going to be it ? No.

And again, it is hard to argue against the logic of the argument. But I thought until recently that it was the job to make a game fun for a company if it wants to sell it? You offer a solution like a mechanic that repairs a volvo with functionality as the goal, not fun or aestethics. And I seriously doubt that this can help a game like GW2 stay afloat in the future.

Of course you can argue that a reward has a fixed schedule to get it as it is a reward and wants to be earned. But it still does kind of not make sense to say people that they simply can´t have it then if a funny game is your product. It would make sense if we were all working in the accounting department of a comany though.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

It’ll be a grind but I guess it wouldn’t be so bad as you’re doing the content that you enjoy.