Remove soulbound from the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

All your actions since the launch of the game have been to move from soulbound to account bound.

Come on, you just have one last step to do: remove soulbound entirely from the game.

There is just no point in keeping any soulbound stuff anymore.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

(edited by Fror.2163)

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

No – there is a reason that is done.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I soooo hope for this.

Would make having alts easier, and no more “woops bought that with the wrong char”etc.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

All your actions since the launch of the game have been to move soulbound from account bound.

Wow, seriously? Legendaries are account-bound, and account-bound ascended was the best part of the 15 April patch as it finally lets me move armour across alts. As for “cheap” armour… well, looks like your alts do not want to wear second-hand rags.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

All your actions since the launch of the game have been to move soulbound from account bound.

Wow, seriously? Legendaries are account-bound, and account-bound ascended was the best part of the 15 April patch as it finally lets me move armour across alts. As for “cheap” armour… well, looks like your alts do not want to wear second-hand rags.

You quoted a typo. I just fixed it. Thanks for showing it

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Prophet.6257

Prophet.6257

Yes please.

I’m sick of account bound as well but let’s start with getting rid of soul bound first.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

All your actions since the launch of the game have been to move from soulbound to account bound.

Come on, you just have one last step to do: remove soulbound entirely from the game.

There is. For starters, with equipment being soulbound, fine→exotic quality, it’s an incentive to use ascended gear if you want the same weapon/armor on multiple characters. Second, if nothing was soulbound, the first thing I’d do is create a brand new sylvari and go farm the skill point at Morgan’s Spiral. Why? Because it’s given to you in the form of a soulbound item. 10 seconds to to get the item from the skill point, another 10 to bank it.180 skill points in an hour. With certain recipes being profitable with up to 60s a skill point, I could easily dump a few hours farming the skill point. Oh, got help anet if there are bots farming skill points. 24 hours of farming that skill point would net about two thousand gold in mf recipes.

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

And it’s a stupid one.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: eekzie.5640

eekzie.5640

There are definitely improvements to be made to the system, but soul bound definitely serves it’s purpose for a lot of items.

Completely removing it would be foolish.

If you really want to provide constructive criticism come up with items that are soulbound for a bad reason (like legendaries were).

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

You quoted a typo. I just fixed it. Thanks for showing it

Ah, ok. The post makes more sense now.

While I agree that being able to pass outdated exotics to alts (like those left after moving to an ascended set) would be nice, I also understand that economic reasons are important here – it’s a pretty large gold sink.

In a perfect world – yes, I would prefer to have all gear account-bound on use, maybe except for those items which can be purchased only from renown hearts. In a less perfect world, having at least exotics account-bound would be nice, but again, they are (relatively) cheap anyway except for ultra-rare stats while they still serve as a minor gold sink and as a bank space hogger.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

Souldbinding is an antique concept that unfortunately carried over into the original deployment of GW2. Thankfully, they seem to have realized this and are slowly phasing out soulbinding in favor of accountbinding (which is a much better system).

Server: Devona’s Rest

At the very least there is no reason for any gear (weapons/armor/trinkets) to be soulbound.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

100% agree

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

And I sincerely believe those reasons are, in most cases, inadequate.

If it’s an item that can be exploited without soulbound then it should indeed stay soulbound, but everything else should become account bound.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: HardRider.2980

HardRider.2980

Cultural armour and weapons – enough said.
Not everything should be soulbound, but their are items that need to be..

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Taygus.4571

So?
making them account bound does not mean they can be used on other races. (maybe ther’s coding issues…with this..idk..)

but I’d sure love is all armour/weapons were account bound rather than soulbound. Could pass on gear to other alts, as I upgrade or change my mind.

For example I went zerk for my necro, than changed my mind..would’ve been nice to pass that exotic gear to my ele and not have to buy it again. (dungeon tokens so it’s not like it was expensive..but it’d be a nice qol feature, particularly useful for those who level alts )

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

ANet does not want you passing your Fine/Rare/Exotic gear to different characters. Call it an incentive to craft/farm, a trading post stimulus, a time/gold sink — whatever hidden purpose character-binding gear serves, I don’t know what you think has happened to make it stop serving that purpose. In fact, I don’t see any reasons in this thread so far, why ANet should go out of its way to eliminate it.

Can anyone explain how this would make the game better, instead of just asserting that you want it?

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

The utterly useless soulbound runes dropping in the dungeons are one of the silliest ideas anyone could’ve come up with.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: Aleglast.6027

Aleglast.6027

Yes please.

I’m sick of account bound as well but let’s start with getting rid of soul bound first.

And well their at it why dont they just make legendaries free? like seriously why does it require hard work to do anything in this game? they should make everything easy.

GUARDIANS OF THE LIGHT We are DragonBrand
Join us and RISE to the challenge!

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

Soul/Accbound should keep in the game, but they bound definitely to many items to the acc or character and this impeded the most part of trading.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

Sorry, OP, but I disagree. If your weapons/armor were all made account-bound then you could just go around transmutation costs by continually trading them from one character to another.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

If your weapons/armor were all made account-bound then you could just go around transmutation costs by continually trading them from one character to another.

Which would be awesome!

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

If your weapons/armor were all made account-bound then you could just go around transmutation costs by continually trading them from one character to another.

Which would be awesome!

Perhaps. But because of that it would never happen. ArenaNet has to make a profit wherever it can – they are a business.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Jack.1469

Jack.1469

No. Even as a casual player, I disagree. The inflation is way out of control right now. Removing soulbound would only worsen it.

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Cultural armor has a racial restriction component. Soulbound or not, a charr will not be running around with sylvari armor.

edit: Flood Control: Please wait 600 seconds between posts! GG forums. GG.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

ANet does not want you passing your Fine/Rare/Exotic gear to different characters. Call it an incentive to craft/farm, a trading post stimulus, a time/gold sink — whatever hidden purpose character-binding gear serves, I don’t know what you think has happened to make it stop serving that purpose. In fact, I don’t see any reasons in this thread so far, why ANet should go out of its way to eliminate it.

Can anyone explain how this would make the game better, instead of just asserting that you want it?

What does it matter anyway, those are only a few silver to a few gold.

The problem is really bag and bank space.

Posted by: Aleglast.6027

Aleglast.6027

I dont think you understand, anet is a company, they want to make money, you buy bank slot, they make money.

GUARDIANS OF THE LIGHT We are DragonBrand
Join us and RISE to the challenge!

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

This is already covered. I have transmuted human T3 on to my ascended armour and only human heavys can use it. My norn warrior can’t use it unless I change the skin to a universal one. So soul binding is not needed there. Soul binding dose have it’s places. On things like skill points. But gear should be account bound I think. But only once you equip it. So you ca. Still sell I to. The TP if you just acquire it normally.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I dont think you understand, anet is a company, they want to make money, you buy bank slot, they make money.

I have 58 character slot, and full bank.

The problem is say my warrior is having 4-5 set of exotic gear, and a bunch of exotic weapons. I have no choice but to store things in my bag or bank.

If I can move over the gear to another character it’ll save me some trouble, because bank and bag space is much more precious.

Posted by: Miriam.2506

Miriam.2506

At least adding the name of the charakter witch the item is soulbounded too. Still nobody knows which ones owns the item and which not.

Posted by: KarateKid.5648

KarateKid.5648

The utterly useless soulbound runes dropping in the dungeons are one of the silliest ideas anyone could’ve come up with.

This I agree with – and bloodstone dusts (although I just want those vendorable – waste not want not)

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I have 58 character slot, and full bank.

The problem is say my warrior is having 4-5 set of exotic gear, and a bunch of exotic weapons. I have no choice but to store things in my bag or bank.

If I can move over the gear to another character it’ll save me some trouble, because bank and bag space is much more precious.

Congratulations, you are the first person in this thread to actually give a reason why soulbinding presents a concrete problem for someone. Unfortunately, if you gathered every single GW2 player who shares your plight and picketed outside the ArenaNet offices, I doubt the five of you would be heard.

May I just ask, why the heck do you have 58 characters??

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

Imagine sharing 3 sets of Ascended gear (light, medium, heavy) across an unlimited number of characters (note: this is not good)

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Adula.3698

Adula.3698

This would also help out the players that originally had 2 of the same legendary when the wardrobe patch came out. On the bad side, people could buy a leg, equip, then resell and keep the skin. Boom, legendaries are less legendary than they currently are.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Well aren’t you the smart cookie. You’re absolutely right, apart from the bit where you’re terribly mistaken.

It was perfectly possible to transmutate the cultural skins on items of fine quality to make them account bound. I still have a couple of Charr armor skins in account bound state. It’s most likely still possible with the wardrobe on low quality gear.

Just a little bit of nitpicking from my end, enough said.

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: biofrog.1568

biofrog.1568

I would like to remove Soul bound, Account bound and also Bound on Acquire for everything.

I never liked these false mechanisms that limit players. They are brute force attempts to limit the economy or create a false rarity. It also screams too much of “other MMO’s did it” for my liking.

Sadly something is needed to stop exploiting, so replace them all for a tradeable flag. Make every item dropped transferable once only, to the Trading Post, or to another player. After that the item becomes no longer tradeable.

“There’s no lag but what we make.” – biofrog

Taygus.4571

This would also help out the players that originally had 2 of the same legendary when the wardrobe patch came out. On the bad side, people could buy a leg, equip, then resell and keep the skin. Boom, legendaries are less legendary than they currently are.

LOL,
thread is asking to change all soulbound gear to account bound, not for it to be possible to equip and sell >.>

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

No. Soulbound serves a purpose, like keeping up the value of masterwork-exotic gear.

Also should note that all items that “Soulbound on acquire” will always display warning message before bought.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: soakman.7539

soakman.7539

Honestly, my BIGGEST issue with things being soulbound is that I put some of it into my bank, and there’s no way to tell WHICH of my 8 characters it is soulbound to. I’m sorry, but I’m not going to log into each character to try to withdraw an item from my bank…so now I am down two bank slots until I figure it out.

I really wish they would just say Soulbound to character name in the item description instead of just “Soulbound.”

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

No. Soulbound serves a purpose, like keeping up the value of masterwork-exotic gear.

Also should note that all items that “Soulbound on acquire” will always display warning message before bought.

You are mistaken. All gear from basic white name stuff all the way up to Exotic has a value based on salvage, which is independent of it’s bound status.

Server: Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Ravion Hawk.4736

Ravion Hawk.4736

Soulbound equipment is GW2’s version of GW1’s “customized” equipment.

It would be nice if weapons got the 20% damage increase that “customizing” gave you in GW1.

Over all though, each piece of equipment including basic, fine, ascended, and legendary should be soulbound on the basis that:

Armor - If it fits an Asuran, how would it fit a Norn or Charr without having to be remade? <= Simplest example EVER.

Weapon - For a weapon to be effectively used it needs to be designed for the user to use comfortably and effectively. Example: A sword for an Asuran is a dagger for just about everyone else while a greatsword for a Norn would be FREAKING HUGE to an Asuran.

More examples:
I can not use my wife’s rifle effectively nor safely since it was made for her and is more like a child’s toy in my hands.

Let’s use bows this time since there is A LOT that goes into a bow than the majority of gamers ever realize.

My father and I can use each others bows, but if we want to hunt with them, they both need the sights adjusted and I have to remove my father’s counter weights and his trigger adapter from his bow while my father would have to change the rest, remove the finger cushions and install a trigger adapter, and add counter weights to my bow. Our draw weights are within 5 pounds of each other, so that is negligible and is more a comfort difference between us.

If I add my wife’s bow to the mix, her bow’s draw weight needs to be increased drastically or my father and I run the risk of damaging her bow. Plus our draw weights have to be lowered for her to use ours which even the lowest ours can safely go to is still too much for her to pull. Any lower and there is the chance that the tension bolts will strip out (due to too few threads being threaded) causing the bow to shatter.

That isn’t even taking into account that the draw length for all three of us is different which means only my father and I can even use each others bows since we are only about 1 to 1.5 inch different in draw length. My wife and I are about 5 to 6 inches different in draw length.

Conclusion
All-in-all, be grateful that Basic and Fine don’t get bound what so ever (unless transmuted) and DEFINITELY be grateful that Ascended and Legendary are Account Bound.

Head of the Order of the Iron Ravens [OoIR]
Lady Alexis Hawk – Main – Necromancer
Ravion Hawk – Warrior

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

Sorry, OP, but I disagree. If your weapons/armor were all made account-bound then you could just go around transmutation costs by continually trading them from one character to another.

Exactly. This is why – when you transmute or put in a Sigil they become Soulbound. There is a reason for it. Basically you would make the transmutation system worthless.

Posted by: Silicon Based.5801

Silicon Based.5801

I am stuck with lots of crappy ascended trinkets that cannot be salvaged, cannot be traded, cannot be thrown into the MF. They can only be destroyed.
I still believe that any gear whether it is ascended, legendary or quest related should at least be salvagable, or useable in the MF and perhaps also sellable.
The same counts for materials that cannot be sold (e.g. some ascended) because they’re account bound, please remove.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Soulbound is only applicable on masterwork, rare and exotic armors which are 1 gold, 2 gold and 5-25 gold respctively if you pay for them, they drop very frequently OR are easily made, or easily aquired by other means…I can usnderstand why these very easily accesible items ae soulbound on use. But I CANNOT understand why they get soulbound by applying runes/sigils.

Runes/Sigils from dungeons are account bound.

There is actually still food which is soulbound, and utility food, which is so well… in error that is was reported as bug by many people and was placed in the bugs forum, the suggestions forum and so on.

Ascneded items being unusable due to stats is an inconvenience, but never look a given horse in the mouth…… Just be happy you got one. Even if the only thing you can do with it is making soup. (Like: “It is the gift that counts?”)

Having account bound items for the ascnededs (vision crystals makes sure you level your proffesions) and if you would sell ascnededs: Merchant ONLY. -Not on the BLTP.-

I do not want the whole game flooded by people selling their armors. If my account would get hacked I do not want my armor(S!) being sold off as well.

Salvaging well I do not mind If you get 1 or 2 damasks/Elonian leather/deldrimor ingots/spiritwood refunded maybe a chance for a lesser vision crystal from items made with a Vision Crystal.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

yea man, soulbound is meaningless.