Remove the Cap on Daily Achievement Points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vortemir Germanus.4293

Vortemir Germanus.4293

Did you know that there is a 15,000 point cap on daily achievement points?

This received from a Support team member:

“You hit the cap for Daily Achievement which should be a combination of your daily and now retired monthly achievements together. The cap is at 15,000 and you will still get rewards but no longer get point until the cap is raised.”

I’m a WVW player. I enjoy that style of game play. I play PVE for the story lines and that is about where I draw the line as to the enjoyment of that venue. I don’t go too far out of my way to pick up Achievement Points. (Masteries, another subject for another day… yeah, I don’t do much to achieve them because, WVW has their own and I achieved maximum on that long ago.)

The issue I have is the skins and achievement chests are tied to Achievement Points which are tied to other play styles of the game. The only achievement I have left in Competitive -> WVW is that Ultimate Dominator which will give 20 AP when achieved.

Anet appears to be saying, expand your borders, get a fuller enjoyment from the game. I get that. I can almost appreciate that train of thought as an educator in real life. One thing they didn’t take into account though was that I am an old cuss. I do what I want and what I like… perhaps they are simply saying there is no hope for me. If Anet were to remove that cap though, I could, at 10 points a day, continue to increase my achievement points and slowly work toward that Radiant Backguard.

Just some quick math: 39,000 (earliest possible limit to receive the Radiant Backguard) minus 23,965 (my current achievements) equates to 15,035 achievement points needed. Which means if Anet removed the daily achievement limit today, I would reach that back piece in 1,504 days (or a little over 4 years).

Apparently that is too quick for them? I really don’t understand their position or their choice of the arbitrary number of 15,000 daily AP.

Is it too much to ask to remove the arbitrary number to the daily achievement cap? I do request a removal and not a raise of the cap—I would have to write another post that no one would read in another 1,644 days. I guess I don’t see the harm in removing the cap.

I appreciate your time and consideration.

(edited by Vortemir Germanus.4293)

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

I must be missing something here, but are we talking about normal achievements here, like ones you get generally 5-10AP each for? How the hell is it possible to hit 15000 a day?! I must be misunderstanding.

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

I must be missing something here, but are we talking about normal achievements here, like ones you get generally 5-10AP each for? How the hell is it possible to hit 15000 a day?! I must be misunderstanding.

He’s talking about the cap on the total number of AP you can get from doing dailies and from the old monthlies. Once you get 15k AP from dailies/monthlies you can no longer get 10 AP/day from doing dailies.

Posted by: Tanek.5983

Tanek.5983

I think the original reason for the cap was to offset the “loss” of the points a new player coming to the game would earn to catch up to a veteran player. (Also, and I may be remembering this incorrectly, but couldn’t you get points per daily achievement at the start, rather than just 10 points for doing 3 a day?)

I don’t know whether achievement points is much of a competition these days, so how much that matters, I am not sure. If you have fun with the game, though, is it really worth quitting if the cap stays in place? You might raise stubbornness to an art form, but still.

Also, I might agree with your position on removing the cap, but I don’t agree with the “I have spent money on the game, give me what I want if you hope to see any more” statement. That comes off a bit too dramatic for me. I know it is a version of voting with your wallet, but the phrasing seems off and just a few steps below the “I am a/know a lawyer” threat.

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

He’s talking about the cap on the total number of AP you can get from doing dailies and from the old monthlies. Once you get 15k AP from dailies/monthlies you can no longer get 10 AP/day from doing dailies.

Ahhhhhh, gotcha. That makes one hell of a lot more sense than what I was thinking of lol

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I think the original reason for the cap was to offset the “loss” of the points a new player coming to the game would earn to catch up to a veteran player.

No. It was never possible to catch up to veterans as soon as first non-repeatable, time-limited achieves became unavailable to obtain (which was at Halloween 2012, shortly after launch).

It were veterans that asked for the AP cap, because those at the top of the list no longer wanted to put much effort into staying at that top.
AP cap means, that AP leadership top can play at a more leisurely rate than new players, and still be assured they will never lose their place there. As long as they remember to do all the time-limited dailies, their place is secure. They don’t even need to stay on top of all the current achieves, as long as those achieves do not have a time limit. They can always do them later on to catch up, after all. And with AP cap, there’s no way for new players to overcome the lack of AP from historical achievements..

(Also, and I may be remembering this incorrectly, but couldn’t you get points per daily achievement at the start, rather than just 10 points for doing 3 a day?)

Yes. getting to the cap is much slower now. Another thing that favours veteran players.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Getting to the cap is a little slower but how many people actually did 10+ daily achievements consistently every day with the old system?

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Getting to the cap is a little slower but how many people actually did 10+ daily achievements consistently every day with the old system?

Many in the sense of 100s? yes. Many in the sense of a high fraction of active players? No.

I was never in favor of the implementing a cap — I think it’s too little benefit for the effort of implementing it. Similarly, I think it’s not worth the time it takes to remove the cap, either.

It’s worth understanding why it’s there:

• It makes it easier for newer players to catch up to veterans in terms of rewards
  • It slows the need for ANet to plan out rewards for the future.

It makes it easier for newer players to catch up to veterans in terms of rewards
Naturally, as many people say, any headstart player who is still going after achievements is going to stay far ahead of any newbie, as there’s at least ~1400 AP no longer achievable for one reason or another.

That’s fine, because I don’t think protecting the leaderboard was ever the point for ANet. Instead, the implementation of the cap allows the vast majority of new players to earn the same rewards available to the vast majority of veterans. 1400 is too far to catch up on the leaderboards, but it’s only 3 chests away in terms of rewards, i.e. only a skin or two.

It slows the need for ANet to plan out rewards for the future.
As a player, I don’t really care about this. However, as a developer, ANet must care: they have to offer rewards substantive enough that people feel appreciated for their loyalty, but not so valuable that those slower-to-reach high AP will feel completely left out.

That’s difficult to do as the player base gets more experienced, gains skins from other sources (including legendaries and other super-shinies), and accumulates wealth whether they try or not. Slowling our rate of acquisition gives them more time to figure out what the next tier of rewards should look like.

In short, I’m against the cap and yet I can accept that ANet thinks it’s necessary.

If you want it removed, help ANet figure out how to achieve the goals they consider important to the game’s health, not just any individual’s personal goals.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Vortemir Germanus.4293

You might raise stubbornness to an art form, but still.

Also, I might agree with your position on removing the cap, but I don’t agree with the “I have spent money on the game, give me what I want if you hope to see any more” statement. That comes off a bit too dramatic for me. I know it is a version of voting with your wallet, but the phrasing seems off and just a few steps below the “I am a/know a lawyer” threat.

Told you, legendary achievement of Stubborn.

I can agree with you on the latter point; I could have/should have left that off. Fair enough—I’ve removed it.

(edited by Vortemir Germanus.4293)

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

I like the cap. I look forward to the day when I hit the cap and no longer have to feel the need to log in each day in order to complete 3 menial tasks.

Vortemir Germanus.4293

In short, I’m against the cap and yet I can accept that ANet thinks it’s necessary.

If you want it removed, help ANet figure out how to achieve the goals they consider important to the game’s health, not just any individual’s personal goals.

So I guess that is why I’ve gone to the forums, right? I don’t know what the goals are…

I know, and demonstrated my personal goal of getting that forever in the future back piece (and the shinies in between). Player enjoyment should be a consideration of that healthy future of the game.

I appreciate your perspective.

Vortemir Germanus.4293

I like the cap. I look forward to the day when I hit the cap and no longer have to feel the need to log in each day in order to complete 3 menial tasks.

Interesting. If they remove the cap, does that mean you would log in every day to get your 10 AP?

Posted by: Boysenberry.1869

Boysenberry.1869

Interesting. If they remove the cap, does that mean you would log in every day to get your 10 AP?

Probably…or at least most days. This may be a good thing for Anet but I would find it a little aggravating. I know I don’t have to log in and collect those 10 AP, but part of me is bothered if I don’t do it. That’s why if the cap remained and I hit it, a load would be off my mind.

Vortemir Germanus.4293

It were veterans that asked for the AP cap, because those at the top of the list no longer wanted to put much effort into staying at that top.

That too is an interesting perspective… stymied by the 1% again. =)

Yeah, I’m not about AP leadership boards so I didn’t have that perspective. It is kind of funny to me that the hares are worried about the tortoises, but I get it; I heard that story a time or two.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I have to say, I don’t log in as religiously as I used to once I hit the Daily AP cap. I still log in often, but I’ve lost the motivation I used to have, or maybe it’s that it just doesn’t bother me as much to miss a day.

Now, I’ve pretty much given up on Achievement rewards. Sigh.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Achievements are a system in the game to help gauge what a player has accomplished in the game. They are awarded for completing various tasks spanning all game types; PvE, PvP, and WvW.

I do not think doing the same dozen tasks repeatedly should account for the grand majority of such a score. In fact, I think it makes it a joke. The cap is a compromise between farmability and having some semblance of meaning.

Furthermore, “veteran” players have already had the opportunity to get more AP from festivals and events. They’ve also have had more chance to be handed daily login rewards that reward you for basically existing.

I log on to get 2 gold and some extra materials. That is enough value in and of itself, if not too much compared to effort.

OP’s problem is easily solved by adding more WvW achievements, because as is they are a terrible effort:reward ratio. And that’s with adjustments.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

Posted by: jagabs.5086

jagabs.5086

I have to say, I don’t log in as religiously as I used to once I hit the Daily AP cap. I still log in often, but I’ve lost the motivation I used to have, or maybe it’s that it just doesn’t bother me as much to miss a day.

^This.

The daily AP is what kept me in playing everyday. I always looked forward to my Achievement Rewards. It motivated me to play a longer after doing the daily.

I always have second thought on playing nowadays.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

^This.

The daily AP is what kept me in playing everyday. I always looked forward to my Achievement Rewards. It motivated me to play a longer after doing the daily.

I always have second thought on playing nowadays.

Same thing. The daily 10 AP was a carrot that brought me back in the game day after day, year after year. Even through long content droughts. Once in, I got interested and played. Since I’ve stopped getting my daily 10 points I’ve gradually lost motivation to log in every day and I’ve cut back on my playing. I’ve also stopped going out of my way to get more AP because the days needed to get the next reward chest is no longer 50 days but much, much higher. I no longer log in every day and when I do it’s the fastest, easiest dailies for the 2 gold and then I log out. I’ve barely touched the new maps. This last one I ran a char though to get waypoints and haven’t been back.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I’m glad that I’ve hit the daily AP cap and I no longer have to care about that AP source. For the kind of player that I am, it has enabled me to do more of the things I actually want to do in-game and less of the silly “go harvest in some random zone”. I firmly stand in opposition to any suggestion to remove the cap for this reason. I like feeling able to do other stuff with that time.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

They added the 2g daily reward as a carrot for those who had hit the cap. Seems a good trade off to me. Not having reached the cap also means I can pick and choose when I do my dailies since there are some days I just don’t like the options, but I know I’ve not lost those ap for good.

I’d rather they increased the ap rewards from each new achievement – eg 5 instead of 1 with LS achievements. Athough I am happy about the large amount from the new current event…

Illconceived Was Na.9781

So I guess that is why I’ve gone to the forums, right? I don’t know what the goals are…

I know, and demonstrated my personal goal of getting that forever in the future back piece (and the shinies in between). Player enjoyment should be a consideration of that healthy future of the game.

I appreciate your perspective.

My apologies, then. I didn’t make them clear enough my best guess:

• ANet wants (most) new players to catch up (mostly) in terms of AP chests (not leaderboards)
  • They want to slow the rate of acquisition of the top AP chests, to give them time to figure out how to keep them being worthy of high AP.

I doubt that they were motivated primarily by giving those at the top of the leaderboard a break — it’s more than a little work to setup a cap and deal with the blowback; I find it hard to imagine that protecting the top players was the biggest factor.

Put another way, if we want them to spend the time to remove the cap, we should help them figure out how newer players can catch up in terms of received rewards/skins and how to placate veterans reaching high AP, who expect (and perhaps even deserve) special rewards for doing so.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

But, the cap has been there since the inception of Dailies; I’m not sure what the motivation was back then, or if it is the same as what seems to be the motivation now.

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I could never figure why they didn’t set like a 50k cap on AP and record on the leaderboards the date achieved. Then they could continue rewarding like they do now, on into the future, and stop penalizing people for wanting to use the good established system of starting out each time by doing a few fun and/or straightforward tasks that move us around the maps hopefully generating interest.

I suspect I will never understand because I’m close to that cap.

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Personally I miss the monthly ap system, it gave me something to work over several weeks (Until I started WvW and blew the entire thing in 6-7 hours). Where I could pick my own time for it.

Honestly they should never have tied AP to the daily system at all, as ArchonWing said above, Achivements shouldn’t be tied to just logging in every day (the logon rewards, and 2g etc are already pretty good).

But at the same time, Most other AP seems to be out of whack, and you have very few other reliable ways to get AP. Perhaps AP in general just needs a complete overhaul. (Boy imagine the backlash on that!)

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I meant the even older system, where each daily was worth 5 points. And when there were monthlies, also worth a considerable amount.

But, the cap has been there since the inception of Dailies;

Not true. The dailies were there since the launch, but the cap appeared only in one of the later iterations of the system (fourth one, if i remember correctly).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Vortemir Germanus.4293

I do not think doing the same dozen tasks repeatedly should account for the grand majority of such a score. In fact, I think it makes it a joke.

As I pointed out 1500 days equals 15000 AP… while it is a lot of points, that is 4 years of life. I disinclined to look at it as a joke as much as just a small amount of credit for loyalty that goes toward shinnies.

OP’s problem is easily solved by adding more WvW achievements, because as is they are a terrible effort:reward ratio. And that’s with adjustments.

You are right and the best example probably of any achievement points in the game: 250K kills for 51 AP… effort v reward.

I like your thoughts on the WVW but I wonder how that could be done… repeatable achievements in WVW? There are really only so many dolyaks I can escort.

I appreciate your comments, ArchonWing.

Posted by: Vitali.5039

Vitali.5039

Did you know that there is a 15,000 point cap on daily achievement

Yeah, and are way too much. What’s the point of gain ‘achievement’ points for things you can do all the time? Isn’t the AP something that show how many aspect of the game you have succesfully experienced?

But sure is convenient for my wannabe radiant set skin.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Isn’t the AP something that show how many aspect of the game you have succesfully experienced?

The only ones who might recognize how many different areas of the game one has completed by looking at an AP total are those who obsess over them, and even they can only do it for people who are near the top of the board. For everyone else, AP are something to do in a game genre that survives on offering things to do and/or a reward system.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I do not think doing the same dozen tasks repeatedly should account for the grand majority of such a score. In fact, I think it makes it a joke.

As I pointed out 1500 days equals 15000 AP… while it is a lot of points, that is 4 years of life. I disinclined to look at it as a joke as much as just a small amount of credit for loyalty that goes toward shinnies.

And I think it’s a fair amount. 4 years of “work” so to speak should count for something, but I do think that’s a good chunk; nearly 1/2 the maximum amount.

I think if daily AP were infinite, then it’d be more time efficient to do those, and be like “meh” to AP that’s worth like a few. There’s no real incentive to go out and do them.

Though, as the amount of AP available increases, I wouldn’t object to raising the cap in the future to adjust.

Personally, I enjoyed doing monthlies, and wouldn’t mind even longer term ones. But that’s just me.

I like your thoughts on the WVW but I wonder how that could be done… repeatable achievements in WVW? There are really only so many dolyaks I can escort.

I appreciate your comments, ArchonWing.

Either they could be worth more, or repeatable, yes. Some achievements are repeatable a finite amount of times like “Master of Entropy” I always thought World Rank should give achievements too.

In any case, if you go into any LS zone you get achievements popping up everywhere you go, and that’s how it should be IMO. WvW doesn’t change that much, due to a lack of features and by necessity so adjustments have to be made there.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The cap is in place so they don’t have to continuously add to the rewards. If they were going to remove the cap, you can bet dailies would only give 1 point.

If they wanted to be fair however, they would increase the cap and have all of the historical achievements count towards it.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I meant the even older system, where each daily was worth 5 points. And when there were monthlies, also worth a considerable amount.

Not true. The dailies were there since the launch, but the cap appeared only in one of the later iterations of the system (fourth one, if i remember correctly).

You mean the system where players could do the daily within five minutes (like now) which consisted of four generic daily achievements that never changed and monthlies which were often completed within several hours? All of which didnt provide as much AP to players as the system we have in place today

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

You mean the system where players could do the daily within five minutes (like now) which consisted of four generic daily achievements that never changed and monthlies which were often completed within several hours? All of which didnt provide as much AP to players as the system we have in place today

Iirc the older daily/monthly system provided a lot more AP (still capped, but obtaining them was faster) with more effort (obviously) given the fact you could earn 40AP in 2012 per monthly, upto 80AP/mth in 2013 and upto 100AP/mth in 2014. It is also noted that the cap for monthly was at 5,000 (2014). So I think the cap has always been there, you just didn’t know until you hit it obviously.
That was also after the PvP monthly was merged with PvE.
There was also a lot of festival dailies which would tally up on your total daily AP, not your permanent.

I don’t agree with removing the cap, but I’m all for decoupling monthlies and reinstating them in a standardised way with no cap. (the arguement of ‘have to log in daily’ doesn’t work, and would reward regular play)

Edit: Removed speculation due to Healix’s post below.

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The cap shows up in the Wiki about that time because that was when the official announcement about merging the two caps came. Not an announcement that there would be a cap.

Thus, I too, believe there was a cap for some time before that. Though, as proposed above, it may not have been since launch, as I stated, but put in shortly thereafter when those high APs acquired by cheesing their totals by salvaging were removed and a cap added to Agent of Entropy. (Which was around March of 2013, so about 6 months in.)

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Thus, I too, believe there was a cap for some time before that. Though, as proposed above, it may not have been since launch, as I stated, but put in shortly thereafter when those high APs acquired by cheesing their totals by salvaging were removed and a cap added to Agent of Entropy. (Which was around March of 2013, so about 6 months in.)

The daily limit was announced on March 28, 2014 and went live with the April Feature Pack on April 15, 2014. Entropy was March 26, 2013 to be exact.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Welp, I stand corrected. Odd that the Wiki didn’t pick that information up for months. It first mentions the AP cap on June 27th. They do talk/debate about the Monthly/Daily merge a year later, that was supposed to happen in early 2015.

Regardless, I, personally, would be more motivated to be sure to log in each day if there was not a cap. Still, I suppose ArenaNet knows best.

Thanks for the info.

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

Honestly, the cap needs to go. It drove away a lot of the veteran players in my guild (who return only to scope out new content, if at all), and even I’m feeling less motivated to play since I hit it.

The rate they’re adding new achievements, I’ll never finish that set of radiant armor…

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I have a choice of enjoyable activities I can indulge in with my “me-time”. Guild Wars 2 is one of them. Since hitting the cap, GW2 has moved down the list. I still enjoy it when I play it, but I play it far, far less frequently now.

But here’s the kicker: playing less frequently leads to a lessened interest in what’s going on with the game. I haven’t even skimmed over the recent balance update yet, even though I played for a little bit. I just don’t care about some numerical changes. Stuff still dies when I swing at it.

I’m perfectly okay with playing less. It means I get to do other enjoyable stuff more often. This process of waning interest is not something particular to me though. “Out of sight, out of mind” is so common a state of mind that someone ages ago made up an expression for it. The whole thing is no skin off my back. You have to ask though if ANet can afford to let player interest lapse because of this.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I don’t think I’ve ever logged in just to get the daily AP. I don’t even think I’ll notice when I hit the cap. I’ll still be logging in to play the game and talk with friends.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Tanek.5983

Tanek.5983

I don’t think I’ve ever logged in just to get the daily AP. I don’t even think I’ll notice when I hit the cap. I’ll still be logging in to play the game and talk with friends.

This is kinda my reaction. Maybe it is because I am not at the cap yet, but I had ZERO idea people were ONLY logging in for that 10 points a day.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

When people only log in for 10ap daily, than the game has much bigger issues, which can’t be fixed by upping or removing the cap.

Having 1 account at cap and 1 nearing it I’m glad it is there and yet still do them. The rewards have been increased in this last itteration, but apparently it will never be enough for some people. It’s greed pure and simple. Maximum amount for 0 effort.

I’d rather all daily AP be removed completely, than have it uncapped or risen.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

But, the cap has been there since the inception of Dailies; I’m not sure what the motivation was back then, or if it is the same as what seems to be the motivation now.

The 15k cap didn’t exist when there were Monthlies as well as Dailies. It was introduced with the feature pack of April 2014.

Original announcement: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks-and-gear-unification/

There are a few other general changes to daily achievements. There will be a limit of 10,000 daily and 5,000 monthly achievement points, rotations have been updated, and several relevant achievements have been updated to function in PvP.

While the article describes at great length the reasons for all sorts of changes, there was no explanation about why the caps were added. (Not even among any of the feature pack announcement blog articles)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

When people only log in for 10ap daily, than the game has much bigger issues, which can’t be fixed by upping or removing the cap.

Having 1 account at cap and 1 nearing it I’m glad it is there and yet still do them. The rewards have been increased in this last itteration, but apparently it will never be enough for some people. It’s greed pure and simple. Maximum amount for 0 effort.

I’d rather all daily AP be removed completely, than have it uncapped or risen.

You can’t tar everyone with the same brush. I’ve always detested the move to log-in rewards and the far too high 10 AP reward for 3 dailies. To this day I still find it ridiculous to get a reward for just logging in for no more than the time it takes to accept the reward.

Uncapped dailies but smaller portions, and no way in hell to see other people’s AP totals in-game, that’s how I see the ideal system. No leaderboards either. Public AP totals add nothing of concrete value. They’re just something to obsess over.

Posted by: Xevv.9175

Xevv.9175

I wish Id actually get 10 points for doing the fotm dailies…

4 years now and my ap from dailies is like 230 cause I almost never go do the random little things they want me to.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t think players log in purely for the 10 AP, but rather they would not miss logging in for the 10 AP if it was still available. That’s a difference.

Also, not doing the Dailies might mean less players spread around in the different areas of the game. Wasn’t that the purpose of the current Dailies?

Again, I suppose it matters little; ArenaNet has the metrics and the knowledge of what is best for the game.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

We have no cap for account gold.
We have no cap for account age / played time (birthday presents etc.).
Why do we have a cap for the AP carrot?

For the new players? not really
“hey newbie, please earn 30.000 APs first. see you in four years.”

There is an AP leader board? Who cares?

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: MikeyGrey.2496

MikeyGrey.2496

AP cap exists so:

New players can get a little closer to the top
All players can miss a few days without feeling penalized
Oldest veterans can stay on top without working too hard
Anet can better control the earned AP to plan out the rewards
all the bonuses to MF, XP, Karma, etc are easier to keep in check

Nobody’s said cap will never be raised. I believe that this scenario is the ideal compromise for all. Anet can slowly raise the cap every once in a while when they feel it is best. Of course, no one sad it will be raised either. Just being optimistic.

Be who you are and say what you feel,
because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

I would like to see the cap removed…..but that’s just me.

What Anet needs to figure out, is the cap increasing player participation, or driving people away.

I’ve read most of this thread. It seems to me that more people are going to play less with the cap…..me included.

There are valid reasons to have a cap. However few people say they would play less if the cap is rescinded. They may hate it, but few have said they will quit because of it.

Again, I get both sides.

Anet needs to decide what will keep the most people playing.

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

I have missed 34 days since launch (a 30-day boycott and 4 days where I didn’t have a computer).

Well, up until they screwed us over for being loyal players. Now it’s not so important to me to play every day.

Diminishing returns I could see. But, a hard cap is just ludicrous. It makes no sense whatsoever to penalize your most loyal customers. But, there it is.

Daddicus.6128

Diminishing returns would make it easy. Just make the dailies worth only 8 once you hit 10,000, and 6 @ 20,000, etc. But, don’t take them completely away.

Daddicus.6128

But here’s the kicker: playing less frequently leads to a lessened interest in what’s going on with the game. I haven’t even skimmed over the recent balance update yet, even though I played for a little bit. I just don’t care about some numerical changes. Stuff still dies when I swing at it.

I’m perfectly okay with playing less. It means I get to do other enjoyable stuff more often. This process of waning interest is not something particular to me though. “Out of sight, out of mind” is so common a state of mind that someone ages ago made up an expression for it. The whole thing is no skin off my back. You have to ask though if ANet can afford to let player interest lapse because of this.

And even more importantly, if I’m playing less, I spending less money on the game. This past Christmas I actually told my family not to buy GW gems for me for Christmas. It has been a staple for them since launch, but between the HoT disaster and the cap, I’ve lost my motivation to spend much money on the game any more.