Removing RNG, Luck, and Timegates

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: McNinja.5417

McNinja.5417

As someone who is constantly has poor luck and gets all of nothing from randomized drops, I wonder if there can be other ways to obtain powerful, top-tier gear (legendaries/precursors, Ascended armor/weapons) without waiting for that chance 1 in 10,000 drop or waiting 6 months for finish that pair of pants because you can only make 1 bolt of whatever silk every fortnight. So my suggestion is…

Story dungeons, fractalized. Hear me out…

One problem I have with the current system is that it is incredibly shallow. Why can you only create 1 bolt of Damasque per day? Will you catch fire? Is it so intricate that it takes all day to maintain the level of skill needed to craft it? Because if so, that isn’t reflected in-game. Waiting for one of the Sunless weapons to drop from Tequatl is just as shallow. There’s no real challenge; with a decent group tequatl goes down pretty easily, and you’re still waiting every day to do it again to get that random drop. Why? Why not have 3 or 4 long, purposeful, dungeon/story events that are impactful to the character, award decent gear themselves, and cumulate in an epic battle that challenges each character willing to take the risk?

Take a Scale 50 fractal. If you do them regularly, you’ve spent how much time and gold getting that agony resistance and getting that armor so you can have agony resist in the first place? Shouldn’t that be worth more satistfaction than “oh man well we got Jade Maw again?” Sure, in a Dark Souls frame of mind they’re nothing more than challenges to overcome, but what if those challenges weren’t random, had story content related to the weapon or armor you’re trying to obtain, and lasted longer than 30 minutes?

I just think there should be the ability to get high-level gear aside from wasting time and energy on chance when you could do it for guaranteed rewards.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

The whole point is to waste your time and draw it all out to keep you playing to work on it. That is how MMOs tend to work, sadly.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

Very sentimental and emotional post, with 0 attempts at a solution for the current situation besides the typical “I want xyz for free” approach.

Yes, ascended gear takes time to aquire (or a gold up when rushing it when buying off the TP). This is intended. That is even the reason ascended was added in the first place bringing scorn from all who hoped/expected exotic gear to be top gear.

If you demand instant/cheaper/free gear, then at least try to grasp the reason behind why things got implemented and propose sensible solutions. For example, you could suggest they add some type of token system which rewards tokens for each failed attempt at getting gear in order to reduce the stress from unlucky rng. Or you could ask for more methods of aquiring gear or some way to track different ways of aquiring gear and have them stack together. Similar to how WvW badges reduce exotic costs.

Here’s a hint for future threads. Don’t pick something that was implemented intentionally and ask for it to be reverted, especially when it’s part of artificially extending the games replayability, without offering something in return.

Posted by: Zorish.2940

Zorish.2940

Sadly yes, this is why I’m mostly getting away from MMOs.
I wanna play when I feel like it, and if I want to grind 10 hours straight I want to do without losing anything.
Every MMO has now dailies, endless dailies, if you do not do them, you fall behind.
Maybe I want to play other games, but no, you gotta do those dailies.

I think this is the reason why MMO fail, you don’t play them because you like them, but because you have to, and along the line you forget what you actually liked about them.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Every MMO has now dailies, endless dailies, if you do not do them, you fall behind.
Maybe I want to play other games, but no, you gotta do those dailies.

I really want to hear in what possible way you fall behind if you don’t do your dailies in GW2?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

This I why I like Sega’s Sci-fi MMOs Like Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2 (Japan only for its sequel old one is an ancient MMO that is now private serves only), as you don’t need the best gear to have fun and be still useful/current for other players; its there if you want it, but having the middle of the road and just building your character well will make you able to do everything in all the difficulty modes. Though it is more dungeon crawler repetitive though.

Getting the most powerful and ultra rare stuff will make you just only a bit better and what not and above level to kill a bit faster, but I didn’t notice much value in it when I’m already decent and what I like and have.

It really isn’t your usual Asian grindy game unless you make it grindy and must squeeze every stat out of your character and be a “perfectionist god character”.

Only issue the sequel is Japanese only and you need to use translation patches every 2 weeks after every update or learn the language.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Posted by: Cyninja.2954

Cyninja.2954

This I why I like Sega’s Sci-fi MMOs Like Phantasy Star Online 1 and 2 (Japan only for its sequel old one is an ancient MMO that is now private serves only), as you don’t need the best gear to have fun and be still useful/current for other players; its there if you want it, but having the middle of the road and just building your character well will make you able to do everything in all the difficulty modes. Though it is more dungeon crawler repetitive though.

Getting the most powerful and ultra rare stuff will make you just only a bit better and what not and above level to kill a bit faster, but I didn’t notice much value in it when I’m already decent and what I like and have.

It really isn’t your usual Asian grindy game unless you make it grindy and must squeeze every stat out of your character and be a “perfectionist god character”.

Only issue the sequel is Japanese only and you need to use translation patches every 2 weeks after every update or learn the language.

Allmost all endgame content can be done in rares. (besides medium and high level fractals).

Also the minute stat increase from ascended over exotic wants to say “hi”.

Now please don’t tell me getting exotic geared in GW2 is hard or takes a lot of time.

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Allmost all endgame content can be done in rares. (besides medium and high level fractals).

Also the minute stat increase from ascended over exotic wants to say “hi”.

Now please don’t tell me getting exotic geared in GW2 is hard or takes a lot of time.

Yeah I was only suggesting a moderately fun game i go to when my grind gets too much, yet you are right! The game only needs at least rares to be optimal for 90% of the pve content but tell that to the “zerker only or kick” crowd and “you must be in a certain item quality /cough/ exotic or ascended /cough/ to be in our group” or “you need 5000+ AP or 10000+ AP” crap then you must grind for the gear to even be included in party play for that content.

It seems to me the OP and others on here need a guild that is friendly to them and doesn’t care what you wear or use or how much AP you have.

One I desperately want to make, but need help as I can’t build up the guild by myself.

I for one have no issues taking sub 80s through AC or any pre-80 dungeon or spending hours helping low levels. I might even want to map areas with you as I have alts that will need to do skill challenges and such in preparation for these new changes to the game we are all hearing about.

Hit me up! I may be free for helping out! You just have to want it and fight back against the mistreatment of the meta crowd.

And yes, I have mostly ascended and exotics already. I’m going into full ascended and making two Legendary Incinerators myself, but I do not like others treated this way and fell they can’t do anything unless they grind like the rest of us and feel they do not have to or don’t have the time to.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

(edited by Yumiko Ishida.3769)

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Isn’t the new fave requirement on dungeons at least 15,000 AP now?

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yeah sick isn’t___ it? I’m almost 12000 atm.

Posted by: IEximius.9204

IEximius.9204

Very sentimental and emotional post, with 0 attempts at a solution for the current situation besides the typical “I want xyz for free” approach.

Yes, ascended gear takes time to aquire (or a gold up when rushing it when buying off the TP). This is intended. That is even the reason ascended was added in the first place bringing scorn from all who hoped/expected exotic gear to be top gear.

If you demand instant/cheaper/free gear, then at least try to grasp the reason behind why things got implemented and propose sensible solutions. For example, you could suggest they add some type of token system which rewards tokens for each failed attempt at getting gear in order to reduce the stress from unlucky rng. Or you could ask for more methods of aquiring gear or some way to track different ways of aquiring gear and have them stack together. Similar to how WvW badges reduce exotic costs.

Here’s a hint for future threads. Don’t pick something that was implemented intentionally and ask for it to be reverted, especially when it’s part of artificially extending the games replayability, without offering something in return.

OP is hinting toward higher difficulty = more reward.

Currently the game relies very heavily on RNG and chance for drop values.

Here I quote you “If you demand instant/cheaper/free gear, then at least try to grasp the reason behind why things got implemented and propose sensible solutions”

Isn’t that pretty much what chance and RNG reward?

The gw2 white knight community is getting increasingly hostile and easily offended these days it’s truly incredible. I always say that I have been a gw fan from prophecies beta until now, and still am but blinded… I am not.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

The whole point is to waste your time and draw it all out to keep you playing to work on it. That is how MMOs tend to work, sadly.

Well yeah but the ascended gear grind is worse than most.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

The 1 day crafting limit means that Bolts of Damask are profitable to produce. If you remove it, you remove any potential benefit from being a max-level crafter.

IEximius.9204

The 1 day crafting limit means that Bolts of Damask are profitable to produce. If you remove it, you remove any potential benefit from being a max-level crafter.

hardly profitable tbh, barely.

Posted by: Strill.2591

Strill.2591

Then you obviously haven’t done much research. I’m making oodles of money from crafting.

IEximius.9204

Then you obviously haven’t done much research. I’m making oodles of money from crafting.

http://www.gw2spidy.com/recipe/7309

by “oodles” you mean 21s per day off each damask? maybe a bit more if you had to grind for all the mats yourself? lmao, you have no idea.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

This is how MMO’s work. Players demand the game keep them entertained whether they play an hour a week or eight-ten hours a day. Since devs can keep up with the hour a week players, but not the many hours a day players, they use a variety of techniques, mostly centered around virtual rewards, to keep players entertained. These techniques include RNG, time gates and (in other games) gear tier chasing.

It’s the nature of the beast, and is caused not by players or developers alone, but by the interaction of the two.

Posted by: linuxotaku.4731

linuxotaku.4731

by “oodles” you mean 21s per day off each damask? maybe a bit more if you had to grind for all the mats yourself? lmao, you have no idea.

Yes, I also make money from Damask. I don’t think it compares well to speculation in terms of time/reward, and I don’t need anything so I’m not doing it so much now, but yes you can make a decent profit. (When I was doing this, it was with multiple accounts.)

First — find a cheaper way to acquire silk (hint: many of the people selling it are making a profit doing so). You can do the same for the other materials, though those are a bit harder — but at least you can buy at offer rather than at ask (which is why gw2spidy uses for calculations, so you can do better than those numbers). Sometimes you should time how you sell materials, sometimes you should consider alternate strategies:

http://www.gw2spidy.com/item/46741

Posted by: Garth Thurgen.1380

Garth Thurgen.1380

It’s 2g profit if you don’t sell it instantly you know… That’s a tad bit better than 21s.

Of course, the “best” gain would be making Rabid Insignia’s at nearly a 9.5g profit, but that’s neither here nor there.

Posted by: BammBamm.6719

BammBamm.6719

find a way content is developed as fast as people consume it and we can talk about it