Removing class armor restriction

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Any plans on removing the class armor restriction and opening up all armor pieces to any class? I’m not a huge fan of the heavy armor and would love to use light armor on my Guardian.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

As a skin or protection and stat combo?

Posted by: Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485

…. you want to take a prof about armour and remove their armour

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

It’s probably less work for them not to go with your suggestion.

phokus.8934

…. you want to take a prof about armour and remove their armour

I’ve never understood for the restriction when armor weight doesn’t provide any benefit at all.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Kusumura.8642

Kusumura.8642

@Phokus: Yeah, I’m in the same notion as you. I agree. We’d be better off without the armour restrictions. It’s an antiquated notion at this point that doesn’t serve a purpose. SWTOR nails it on the head with, “Adaptive”, armour that just changes to the maximum armour your character’s class can wear.

Unfortunately, it’s not happening here. Sorry. See above folks’ responses as to why it isn’t very likely. This crowd just doesn’t seem to understand the idea, so more power to them.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Unfortunately, a lot of things that sound neat are precluded by design decisions made when the game was in the planning stages. Ostensibly, the barriers to this idea include dyes not behaving the same way on different materials and the need to do 200% more clipping checks on each piece of armor. There’s also the profession recognition argument in WvW, but I don’t get that one as one can wear outfits there.

I’d love to see it. I have seen no discussion by ANet that indicates this could happen. I don’t think it’s likely.

phokus.8934

Unfortunately, a lot of things that sound neat are precluded by design decisions made when the game was in the planning stages. Ostensibly, the barriers to this idea include dyes not behaving the same way on different materials and the need to do 200% more clipping checks on each piece of armor. There’s also the profession recognition argument in WvW, but I don’t get that one as one can wear outfits there.

I’d love to see it. I have seen no discussion by ANet that indicates this could happen. I don’t think it’s likely.

But professions don’t have different character models maybe other than the off ability. I just don’t see the necessity to keep it as it is today.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

That’s why there are outfits.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Remove armor values from armors, put armor values as baseline into proffesions, then let me wear whatever I want.

Posted by: Zephire.8049

Zephire.8049

But professions don’t have different character models maybe other than the off ability. I just don’t see the necessity to keep it as it is today.

It’s not the character models but the armour models. For example, all heavy armour was made with consideration and testing with all other heavy armour that could interact with it so as to reduce/remove clipping issues and maintain a certain look. The same is true for light and medium armour

But if you were to start mixing and matching heavy and light armour, clipping would become a huge issue and it just wouldn’t look good without a lot of work by a dedicated team to go through all the past armour models and quit possibly re-skinning some. You would end up with weird bare patches where armour was supposed to overlap, or two pieces that constantly clip into and out of each other, or two pieces that are in the exact same spot and flicker as each one fights to be rendered. And more.

Then there’s also the different races and different body shapes of said races to consider. So a team would have to go through each piece of armour 10 times — 5 for race, twice per race for gender — and then also go through the body types for even more work. Charr especially would need a lot of time to avoid clipping issues between armour pieces and with the character model itself.

That’s just a whole lot of work for very minor gain when they could focus on other content. Arenanet is not a large company and cannot keep the stable of artists that would be needed to do such a thing in anything resembling a decent timeframe. It would have been one thing if the game started with armour types working with each other and being interchangeable, but we’re 5 years in and some things you can’t (or shouldn’t bother to) change.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

This again. It’s not “clipping issues.” It’s technical impossibilities given the underlying armor rigs, the “bones.” They can’t mix armor weights.

If you just want to wear a complete set of one weight without regard for profession, that might be slightly more doable but would still involve the complexity of how you swap weights since you can’t rotate in one piece at a time. And who knows what spaghetti code under the hood will do when trying to link armor weight to a profession not intended to wear it. It’s so core to the game’s software that they could break the whole game trying to modify that one thing.

I’d love to be as wrong about this as I was about no gliding in Pact Tyria, but in that case I didn’t have as definitive a set of dev statements to go on. (No, I don’t readily have links, though I’m sure some other forum regulars do. I’m starting to think there needs to be a sticky holding the dev quotes on why mixing weights is not possible with the current code limitations).

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

When asking why a game developer does not do X, the first question to ask is always, “Will it cost more than the benefit will buy in good will?”

The second is “Is this going to anger enough people that the cost in good will will outweigh the benefit in good will?”

Posted by: Panda.1967

Panda.1967

Dyes behaving differently on different materials is a non-issue… various armors and outfits already include multiple materials which all have different dye behaviors. They have shown numerous times (since launch even) that they are 100% capable of handling dye behaviors across multiple materials on the same item.

Quite frankly all of the reasons we’ve been given as to why this can’t happen are bogus. Armor weights being different in modeling pertains to the physics interactions (how much cloth flaps and waves in motion) and rigging interaction (which body parts each portion of the armor moves with and how much of a variance, if any, there is in the movement). Even IFF the claims of each armor class being weighted to different nodes on the model rigging, it’s 100% impossible for there to be any sort of game breaking confliction between sets due to rigging. The worst that would happen is a little bit of clipping, and most people could care less about this, in fact there are some clipping issues with existing combinations as is.. The only sort of conflict the rigging issue poses is having multiple of the same slot item on the model at once, but that issue is already prevented simply by the fact that we only have 1 slot in the interface that can be utilized for each slot type.

Please stop assuming I’m a guy… I am female.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

…. I’ve seen attempts by people who’ve ripped the armor models from the game to mix and match. The results are… not pretty. The seams are completely off on all armors. We’re talking every beltline horribly clipping (or leaving extremely unsightly gaps) when going cross-armorweight.

Posted by: hazenvirus.8154

hazenvirus.8154

…. I’ve seen attempts by people who’ve ripped the armor models from the game to mix and match. The results are… not pretty. The seams are completely off on all armors. We’re talking every beltline horribly clipping (or leaving extremely unsightly gaps) when going cross-armorweight.

If clipping is an issue don’t allow mix and match between armor classes. Simply allow players to select any type of armor class. For instance I am a ranger and select Heavy Skins, I can now use only heavy skins, and there shouldn’t be a serious clipping issue for armors in the same class.

Anet can make it a gem store item, $10-20 for a character to gain a different armor type than their standard type. Once unlocked add a checkbox in the hero wardrobe to select between types. If a piece of armor has a type that no longer matches the selected type, then give it a default skin from that class until changed and dye channels transfer just like they do now. If at some point down the road clipping is deemed a non-issue, then add an gem store item to enable cross compatibility among your owned character armor types.

Anet makes money so it is worth the development effort, people can get the armor class they like for their characters and we can ignore the pvp/wvw armor profile debate cause outfits killed that.

Win-Win