Reported for playing the game

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Very worrying turn of events for myself this morning. Turned on the game, was leveling my character up, do in the various quests, and bumped into a bunch of guys at the start of a quest. This is nice I thought, I started ressing downed NPC’S—-and this is when things took a very dark turn indeed. Started getting whispers from these dudes, to stop ressing the NPC’s. Well its everyone’s area—-its a quest, im not stepping on anyone toes by doing this rite? Wrong—-next thing, the threatening messages started—-if you dont stop ressing NPC’s we will report you! Well I dont take kindly to threats, especially bullying, so carried on—-next thing——you have been reported seven times—have a nice day!

I really hope nothing comes of this, but kind of worrying non the less>>.

Posted by: Umut.5471

Umut.5471

They are the ones need to worry, not you. Reporting for non-sense is against rules and may get your own account banned according to the warning text below report screen.

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

Hopefully those that reported you get a nice shiny 3 day ban, might teach them to be a little more respectful of other players:-)

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

They had no just cause to report you, so they probably get a temp ban themselves.

Though can you tell me where this happened? I’d like to check it out for myself.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You are pretty safe from anything unless you got into a mud slinging match. As others have written abusing the report function can lead to temp bans.

Posted by: An Siorai Tharian.4516

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Shadey Dancer, out of curiosity, did you, even once, answer one of their whispers? Even if it was to say “No I will not stop rezing these NPC’s!”?

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA
Ranger 80 | Elementalist 30 | Guardian 29 | Necromancer 21

Yargesh.4965

Shadey Dancer, out of curiosity, did you, even once, answer one of their whispers? Even if it was to say “No I will not stop rezing these NPC’s!”?

Bots don’t rez. Verbal abuse could be a problem for the OP but that is all.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Actually… I beg to differ. A Bot can be programmed to do any activity. It just depends on what the programmer owning the Bot wants it to do, so long as the activity has enough “nodes” within range of the bot for it to be successful at performing that activity over a long period of time. So yes, Bots can Rez. The problem is, why would someone program a Bot to rez?

Simplest Answer is it was a Bot programmed to harvest crafting nodes, but came upon a clump of downed NPC’s and started rezing them instead, since the command to rez is the same as to harvest… But that is neither here nor there, the question I originally asked has not been answered.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

(edited by An Siorai Tharian.4516)

Yargesh.4965

Begging is frowned upon in most games.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Begging is frowned upon in most games.

what the hell does that have to do with anything? the phrase “I beg to differ” has absolutely nothing to do with begging. Nor is the official forums actually a part of the game. So your comment is irrelevant.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

1. While playing Guild Wars 2, you must respect the rights of others and their rights to play and enjoy the Game. To this end, you may not defraud, harass, threaten, embarrass or cause distress and/or unwanted attention to other players.

Threatening to report a player is a threat, and can be reported as such. Also, as others have mentioned:

21. You may use the Guild Wars 2 reporting system within the Game to alert the company to in-game issues such as inappropriate behavior, offensive names, the perceived use of a “bot,” or other misconduct. You may not use the Guild Wars 2 reporting system to inflict harm upon or harass another player, to submit false reports, or to cause undue load on our servers. Individuals who abuse the reporting function will be investigated and will face possible account suspension or account termination.

If a group of players conspired to harass you via the reporting system, I would expect them to suffer the consequences.

By and large, however, no one, including ArenaNet, has the resources to adjudicate every dispute, so if someone is hassling you, it’s usually best to just ignore or /block them and go about enjoying the game.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Yep, I did reply—after about the fourth whisp, which was, by the way, all the same—stop ressing. In anycase, by that time i had moved onto the the second phase of the quest, was effectively out of their hair, so to speak, AND still got whisps. And no, before anyone asks, I wasnt abusive towards them^^.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

They most likely will not have reported you. There is no option that they could us in the report and false reports could/should get them a temp ban themselves.
You did the right thing, ignore these people and cary on playing the game.

Posted by: Ettanin.8271

Ettanin.8271

If it is part of an exploit to leave the NPCs dead, then yes, you did the right thing. Breaking their attempt to exploit.

Abusing exploits is a bannable offense.
Resurrecting NPCs, for whatever reason, is not bannable.

Their reports are void, and in a special case, may lead to backfire, banning them.

Posted by: Jornophelanthas.1475

Jornophelanthas.1475

Have you considered reporting them for “harassing other players”? Because you had every right to do so.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Have you considered reporting them for “harassing other players”? Because you had every right to do so.

It is unfortunately probably too late to do so now though as the relevant data has likely been purged from the server logs by now.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Just throwing in another voice of agreement – you did nothing wrong so you have nothing to worry about. It’s quite likely that they didn’t report you at all, but if they did the only action Anet would take is to warn/suspend/ban them for abusing the report system.

(Also as a general FYI this is why it takes ‘ages’ for Anet to do anything when someone is reported. It’s not an automatic system, it just alerts a staff member to look into what happened and then they have to decide what action to take.)

Out of curiosity did they say why they wanted you not to rez the NPCs?

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

Actually… I beg to differ. A Bot can be programmed to do any activity. It just depends on what the programmer owning the Bot wants it to do, so long as the activity has enough “nodes” within range of the bot for it to be successful at performing that activity over a long period of time. So yes, Bots can Rez. The problem is, why would someone program a Bot to rez?

Simplest Answer is it was a Bot programmed to harvest crafting nodes, but came upon a clump of downed NPC’s and started rezing them instead, since the command to rez is the same as to harvest… But that is neither here nor there, the question I originally asked has not been answered.

Since you already have your answer I felt like going a bit off topic with this one. You are indeed correct in assuming that bots rez, and not just NPC’s. Quite a while ago, I was myself revived in Frostgorge Sound by a small legion of bots that were killing mobs and harvesting there after getting myself killed in some way. Quite an unexpected turn of events that had me giggle I might add.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Since you already have your answer I felt like going a bit off topic with this one. You are indeed correct in assuming that bots rez, and not just NPC’s. Quite a while ago, I was myself revived in Frostgorge Sound by a small legion of bots that were killing mobs and harvesting there after getting myself killed in some way. Quite an unexpected turn of events that had me giggle I might add.

how do you know they were bots?

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It’s just a guess but I assume bots are programmed to ‘press’ F every so often to make sure they loot their kills, harvest nodes etc. and if they’re near a downed/dead player or NPC at the time they’ll end up rezzing them instead.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

An Siorai Tharian.4516

It’s just a guess but I assume bots are programmed to ‘press’ F every so often to make sure they loot their kills, harvest nodes etc. and if they’re near a downed/dead player or NPC at the time they’ll end up rezzing them instead.

essentially that was my assumption. But my question of how Galespark knows that the train that rezed him was in fact a bot train and not something else still stands.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

Why the hell did they want you to stop reviving the downed npcs? Is there any form of exploit with that? All I can see is the (area’s level x 0.25%) xp you get by reviving an npc. It’s interesting but not much.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They were probably just being jack……alopes, and thought it would be funny.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Why the hell did they want you to stop reviving the downed npcs? Is there any form of exploit with that? All I can see is the (area’s level x 0.25%) xp you get by reviving an npc. It’s interesting but not much.

That’s why I’m really interested as to where this happened at, like if somehow rez’ing the npcs was interfering with them farming or something..

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

how do you know they were bots?

They were a bunch of underlevelled longbow rangers with random character names autoattacking mobs from afar, moving in unison and ressing each other if one of them got downed. I don’t think I reported them, since there were too many nonsense names, and they DID res my sorry behind:D

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Rezzing the NPCs probably initiates phase 2 of the event, which the haters wanted to prevent. Most likely farming infinite spawns like used to happen at Lyssa Temple in Orr. You’d get yelled at for attacking the walls.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Fror.2163

Rezzing the NPCs probably initiates phase 2 of the event, which the haters wanted to prevent. Most likely farming infinite spawns like used to happen at Lyssa Temple in Orr. You’d get yelled at for attacking the walls.

Makes sense, but doesn’t excuse the attitude of the guys who abused the report functionality. I’m now curious on what basis they could have reported Shadey Dancer.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Makes sense, but doesn’t excuse the attitude of the guys who abused the report functionality. I’m now curious on what basis they could have reported Shadey Dancer.

No basis. There is nothing actually wrong with what Shadey Dancer did.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Don’t get me wrong, I’m backing the OP. I was just speculating a possible reason for the haters slinging threats at Shadey Dancer. Others were asking why rezzing would tick them off.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Just to give you guys some background on this

The players who are threatening are farming linen at a spot where mobs will continue to spawn. If you rez the NPC’s they will automatically complete the event after a set time.

It’s in the shadow zone of exploiting, and I will admit I was part of similar farms in the past (ember & union WP farming, anyone?)

There are several more such events in the game if you go out and look for them.

Fror.2163

Okay, now we have our exploit, which makes complete sense for the bad attitude of the griefers.

An Siorai Tharian.4516

Okay, now we have our exploit, which makes complete sense for the bad attitude of the griefers.

unfortunately said griefers have absolutely 0 legs to stand on, as it is actually against the rules to make use of such an exploit if I am not mistaken.

XIII | JAH | FNG | LWA

Fror.2163

unfortunately said griefers have absolutely 0 legs to stand on, as it is actually against the rules to make use of such an exploit if I am not mistaken.

Of course it is. And now they may be infracted/suspended/banned for at least two reasons: exploiting and threatening (and maybe report abuse).