Reporting Guild Names?

Reporting Guild Names?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tingan.2597

tingan.2597

So we have report character names for being offensive but why not the option for guilds? There’s a certain guild I’ve seen running around for a few months now with a name that in no way would be aloud for a character name nor aloud on the forums as it uses “creative spelling”. In relation to that is there a way to report that sort of thing in the meantime until there’s a proper “report guild name” function? I’ve tried using the report character name function (multiple times over the past few months as I’ve seen members running about) and nothings changed so far.

Reporting Guild Names?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, there is. Top of Page – Services/Support – Submit a Request.

Good luck.

You can read Dev responses about it over in Account Issues (or Dev Tracker), if you so desire.

Reporting Guild Names?

Posted by: tingan.2597

tingan.2597

That’s good to know there is someway to report it, it would just be nice to see the feature added into the game. Thanks for the info though.

Reporting Guild Names?

Posted by: Sariel V.7024

Sariel V.7024

I’ve got a feeling I know which guild this is. If so, it’s already been reported and dealt with.

Reporting Guild Names?

Posted by: Xenon.4537

Xenon.4537

I really want to know what the guild name is now lol.

Reporting Guild Names?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

My thoughts and observations on this topic (if anyone feels inclined to give it a read):

-Inappropriate guild names not subject to the same restrictions as character names?-
As ANet made it clear that inappropriate character names will not be tolerated and that players could be reported for such behavior (EULA and in-game report option), the lack of an ‘Inappropriate Guild Name’ report option only infers that guild names do not have the same level of restrictions as character names, otherwise there would also be an option to report them as well.

-Add ‘Inappropriate Guild Name’ report option-
There really should have been an ‘Inappropriate Guild Name’ report option in addition to the ‘Inappropriate Character Name’ report option from the very beginning. As there was not, this option should have at least been implemented at some point over the nearly two years the game has been out due to the issue it quickly became and that has steadily grown more problematic.

-Reporting character and guild names as it is now-
Without an option for ‘Inappropriate Guild Name’ in the Report feature in-game, ANet is essentially saying that, while it is discouraged and frowned upon (due to being included in the EULA as something you will not do along with making inappropriate character names), they do not see it as much of an issue compared to inappropriate character names (which does have an in-game report option) and that they will not discipline inappropriate guild names unless other players jump through hoops and manually report it to support through the website.
i.e. -

• Make an inappropriate character name and you will be disciplined for it
    All that is required of other players is:
    • a simple right-click > report that automatically sends the required information to support to then oversee punishment if it is warranted
  • Make an inappropriate guild name and you pretty much go scot-free
    Unless someone happens to:
    • be offended enough to come to the website and search for threads on how to report a guild name
    • find the search feature to still be non-functional so they then have to make a thread asking for information on how to report a guild with an inappropriate name
    • wait for responses from other players saying to report it to support manually (or from Gaile if the thread is made over in Account Issues)
    • then contact support and fill out all of the information in a ticket just to tell them the name of the guild with the inappropriate name
    • then be told (possibly after a few days) that they need to at least know the character name of a member of that guild to track down the guild as knowing the name of the guild is apparently not enough to report the guild (unless other players or Gaile already shared this required information in the inquiry thread which helps save some time waiting for a support response to tell them of such required information)
    • then go back in-game and hope to find the offensive guild name again to screenshot or write down the character name (and maybe the account/displayname.1234 as well) that is representing the guild
    • then leave the game and return to support and update the ticket with the information on the guild required by support after having gone through the effort of manually gathering it for them
    • then hope that they do follow through with forcing them to change the guild name if it is found to be inappropriate
      (though more likely they will just delete the guild completely as guild names either cannot be or do not get renamed like characters)

That is an absurd amount of effort on the part of the player to report something that should already have an in-game option for reporting just as ‘Inappropriate Character Name’ does.

-My other observations- (if you are still reading)
I’ve seen so many guild names that involve ‘kitten ’ (sex against their will), sexual organs and body parts, child abuse (burning orphanages down among others), and other wholly inappropriate guild names that primarily include the common use of swear words and violent acts and statements. Having to follow the steps listed above to manually file a complaint on the offending guild is quite the hassle and time consuming task to be placed onto the player just to report such basic and common inappropriate behavior.

People have long taken advantage of the fact that they can give their guild as offensive or inappropriate a name as they want with very little chance of ever getting reprimanded or punished for it. I completely loathe such people who name their guilds in outrageously inappropriate names, not only for the obvious reason of the name being offensive and inappropriate, but also for their taking advantage of ANet’s lack of foresight and/or effort to include such a report option especially (and confusingly) because they had the foresight and went through the effort to include one for ‘Inappropriate Character Name’.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

(edited by StinVec.3621)

Reporting Guild Names?

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

I really want to know what the guild name is now lol.

I am wondering if it is the one that took advantage of the first letter of a word being capitalized so they used this spacing and alternating capitalized/lowercase letters to separate two words – capitalized letters spells a swear word, lowercase letters spells another. They have gotten more ‘creative’ with their inappropriate naming of guilds and characters. Seems like a lot of pointless and wasted effort just to do something inappropriate and potentially offensive. How sad.

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Reporting Guild Names?

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

One time, I saw a guild with the tag [kitten]. “It must mean something. I mean, it can’t possibly just be [kitten],” thought I. So I clicked on it. Guild name: “kittenes.”

I really don’t know what I was expecting.

Side note: if the forum replaces this all with “kitten,” the guild name was the last four letters of the second-furthest planet from the sun in our solar system.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org