Reporting people quad boxing

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Horrify.7625

Horrify.7625

While in game, just wandering about and leveling, I have seen quite a players using a program that allows them to control multiple characters (usually four) at once across multiple accounts. I understand this is against the rules, but isn’t there a better way to report this that just right clicking there name and report them for boting?

I really feel there needs to be a text box while reporting another player to explain the reasoning behind the report. Or perhaps there should be more reporting options. I just wish there was something else I could do besides the vague report for boting to help anet catch these guys faster.

Posted by: Dortmunder.9572

Dortmunder.9572

Most companies don’t ban players for buying multiple copies of their games. Especially if they are subscription based.

Not sure why it would be against the rules anyways, unless they are botting as well.

Also, you don’t know whether or not they are using 4 different computers or not, that can be done.

The reporting options could use some work though, for sure. Like temp blocking people you report for spamming/gold selling :p

Horrify.7625

I read in another post about this by one of the anet guys that boxing is should be reported. They are using 3rd party programs.

I’m not 99% sure that these guys are quad boxing, I’m 100% sure.

Posted by: Etilrellim.7068

Etilrellim.7068

I read in another post about this by one of the anet guys that boxing is should be reported. They are using 3rd party programs.

How does someone who paid for 4 accounts using a multibox program affect you? Nothing is automated, no coding is changed, the only thing that happens is that keystrokes and mouse clicks are mirrored.

Here is a quote from the GW2 User Agreement below https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/
You further acknowledge that use of the Software may require additional licenses, such as a license to any applicable operating system or other third-party software, and that You are responsible for obtaining and agreeing to any applicable third-party license before You enter into this agreement………………………

So just because something is third-party, does not make it inherently bad. It’s impossible to play any PC game without using any “third party software”. The game itself relies on third party software, such as Windows and DirectX. It is a common misunderstanding of the terms set forth in a game’s EULA/ToS/ToU. “Third Party” does not imply that you are doing anything wrong. All it means is that the software does not come from the First or Second parties, which are the game publisher (e.g. Anet) and you.

If you think that “Third Party Software” is all bannable then 100% of every gamer would not be playing. People who actually read your EULA would know that.

As an example:
Some other common examples include video recording software (e.g. FRAPS), voice chat software (e.g. Ventrilo, Mumble, TS), even in-game instant messaging software (e.g. Xfire) are all “Third Party Programs”.

Clearly, “Third Party Software” is allowed, as long as it abides by the rules set forth in the EULA/ToS/ToU.

Posted by: Killthehealersffs.8940

Killthehealersffs.8940

Each character gets his own loot
4 characters = x4 loot + x4 money + x4 mining etc , for 1 real person :P

(edited by Killthehealersffs.8940)

Posted by: Rhyse.8179

Rhyse.8179

The TOS forbids anything that “automates” gameplay, iirc. Without GM input, I have no idea if mirroring commands counts or not.

“I care nothing for a festering industry that wantonly refuses to
provide a service that I’m willing to purchase.” – Fortuna.7259

Etilrellim.7068

If you are referring to this Anet guy here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Q-Is-multi-boxing-allowed/first#post245276

Clearly the moderator of that post appears to be making a judgement call as opposed to stating actual policy. Just because something is third-party, does not make it inherently bad as I said earlier. Clearly this moderator does not have this understanding. It’s not uncommon to see posts like this from GMs/Mods who aren’t up to speed on the particular issue.

I obviously don’t have the final answer from ArenaNet but it should be fairly obvious to tell the difference between bots and multiboxers in GW2…

One is against actual policy and one is not…. It is all there in black and white.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Always comes up in MMO games, in some instances I recommend it cos the company is a soulless cash milking machine (flyff etc) in others it’s simply bad form and a lot of players despise the practice regardless of the loopholes that it seemingly exploits.

If this game is going to allow multi-boxing while at the same time offering up things such as personal loot, then I’d deem it as going against it’s own rules which state A third party program or device is a violation if it provides an “advantage” to the multiboxer

@above:

If you cannot read that post, and understand how final it is, and how an employee would not make a statement in such a manner without understanding the question, then clearly there is a serious problem here, which could cost you your access to the game, something no one wants to see unfairly happen or due to arrogance on your part

Irony…. xD

(edited by Hellkaiser.6025)

Posted by: Temper.7265

Temper.7265

Yeah that’s right…and four times the work with no scripts/macros/third party software,with just little old me plugging away on three keyboards/mice,watching three monitors at once.Guess that makes me the third party software……I guarantee I’ve played way harder than using just one account lol.

If you are counting LAN software/hardware as third party programs and such,then best you ban myself,my wife and my son because we share the LAN,we share the ISP,we share the IP.In fact you’d have to ban a good portion of my Guild,as most of us are parents with kids that play with networked PCs.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again,multi boxing and botting are two completely different things and having said that,I do not multi box in this game because it’s not designed in a way that promotes it.

EDIT: I’ve read that post,in fact I posted in it =P
While I don’t agree with the policy on multi boxing on Anets behalf I accept it.However,the opinion that Multi boxing requires third party software,is just that,an opinion,it isn’t a fact.

Fact is,it does not require third party software and never has,never will.

(edited by Temper.7265)

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

Yeah that’s right…and four times the work with no scripts/macros/third party software,with just little old me plugging away on three keyboards/mice,watching three monitors at once.Guess that makes me the third party software……I guarantee I’ve played way harder than using just one account lol.

If you are counting LAN software/hardware as third party programs and such,then best you ban myself,my wife and my son because we share the LAN,we share the ISP,we share the IP.In fact you’d have to ban a good portion of my Guild,as most of us are parents with kids that play with networked PCs.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again,multi boxing and botting are two completely different things and having said that,I do not multi box in this game because it’s not designed in a way that promotes it.

The definition of multiboxing is one player using one or more accounts simultaneously, so you’re in an odd grey area, so the best way to look at it is simply that you have to PROVE that the machine you’re using doesn’t use third party software, do you want to do that EVERY time you log in?

“hey as well as my authentification here’s a picture digitally dated to today of me logging in to gw2 on each account and a data log from my gw2 application to prove it’s clean of botting software” (or something to this affect you get the point)

Lan and multiboxing? APPLES….AND….ORANGES….. totally moot point as it’s not “you” controlling x accounts it’s x people controlling their account each.
Lan does not =/= botting nets,
unless they are not humans controlling the character, that are not you.

Multi boxer or not, you still promote it and claim it’s not using third party software to gain an advantage that you would not get without multiboxing.

It has always granted an advantage, developers just liked the extra cakitten brought them, and listened to the straw man arguments for the cash incentive nothing more

edit: as for the point that it is “opinion” that it relies on third party programs, it’s a pretty thin argument, sure you could try and reason that.
but again it’s not the “standard” practice that one assumes when talking about multiboxing.

Do you really think any of the multiboxers on WoW, as insane with their disposable income as they are, or dodgy with their RL sales of accounts etc they powerlevel, don’t use SOME method of action cloning to produce a one man band of 5x focused dps with a hive mind style bonus that no humans would react with the same speed and force of unison that a multiboxer does?

have you not seen the loltastic battlegrounds that many feel are “ruined beyond belief” by multiboxers?

Irony…. xD

(edited by Hellkaiser.6025)

Posted by: Xolo.3580

Xolo.3580

on a funny sidenote: I recently witnessed a stream of a guy who plays 40 (yes 40) WoW accounts simultaneously. It’s quite hilarious, except for the people who chose the wrong faction on his server

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

Maybe the 3rd prty program is the one that allows one click to resonate across all accounts? Or maybe theres a clause in d tos abt only one client running on one machine?

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Horrify.7625

If you are referring to this Anet guy here:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Q-Is-multi-boxing-allowed/first#post245276

Clearly the moderator of that post appears to be making a judgement call as opposed to stating actual policy. Just because something is third-party, does not make it inherently bad as I said earlier. Clearly this moderator does not have this understanding. It’s not uncommon to see posts like this from GMs/Mods who aren’t up to speed on the particular issue.

I obviously don’t have the final answer from ArenaNet but it should be fairly obvious to tell the difference between bots and multiboxers in GW2…

One is against actual policy and one is not…. It is all there in black and white.

Yep that is exactly the quote I was referencing. Thanks for putting that in here.

Temper.7265

Nope I could control all three accounts from all three computers at the same time.I wouldnt have to prove a thing,three seperate machines,one person playing them all,no scripts no macros,no overabundance of loot,no overabundance of gold.

All three characters have the same requirements/desires to be filled out,they aren’t cookie cutter bots remember,these are loved toons that their owners have attachment to.

My character,my wifes character and my sons character all require armor,weapons,crafting mats,we all want exotics.there is no bot running them 24/7,they would only acquire what I can personally gather,the same amount we would get playing together,if not less because playing multiple accounts at once would be so slow in GW2.Unless a bot is used,but then it’s multibox botting lol.

It’s not apples and oranges,because the ISP is shared through our LAN,it’s what makes our network possible.

That definition of multi boxing is incomplete/incorrect,because it’s possible to run up ten accounts on one PC,that isn’t multi boxing and it’s a lazy way to describe multi boxing.

I’m not claiming anything,I’m stating a fact.It does not require third party programs.I don’t need to post proof how to do it,any idiot can do it.

Multi boxing in games dosn’t gain me any advantage,all it does is help me to keep my familys toons somewehat closer in level when they can’t play,so that when we can play together,we aren’t forever going back to lower level maps.

Would you care to elaborate on how playing manually three accounts at once from three different computers,without the use of scripts/macros/third party software grants me some form of advantage ?

I’m making no assumptions in this thread,I reply with only the fact that I’ve been there and done that,have you ?

(edited by Temper.7265)

Horrify.7625

I just get the feeling that this is an Asian farming thing, not your wife’s and child’s loved character.

Attachments:

Temper.7265

I just get the feeling that this is an Asian farming thing, not your wife’s and child’s loved character.

To true,

And that my good sir is botting or if you like one cumputer running up to but not limited to 5 to 10 accounts on one PC,or maybe even multibox botting several accounts.

Multi boxing dosn’t make one a botter,just the same as playing one account dosn’t make one a botter.

It’s what you do with said accounts that make a botter.I dunno,I could log all family accounts in right now and none of you would ever know the difference,it wont break the game,destroy the economy,get accounts hacked or make me any richer with in game funds.

lol I played GW1 since it’s release,using multiple computers to play when my family couldn’t play together.Never had a warning,infraction or anything,guess you just can’t ban players that can multi task more than one character at a time,with no third party programs. lol

Anyway Cheers people,been a good discussion. =P

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

Ah… all the multiboxers trying to justify themselves, funny. You gain an unfair advantage, period. It is basically botting, you’re controlling multiple characters with one keyboard. That’s not humanly possible without some sort of program. So don’t give me that BS.

Blizzard only allows it in WoW because they’re greedy losers that gain a mass amount of money out of it, and don’t care about the fairness of players. We often got ganked by a 40 boxers on Kil’Jaeden pvp server by some nolife that spends hundreds a month on all 40 accounts. He goes around 1 shotting alliance all day every day. Defend THAT.

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: Saraneth.6021

Saraneth.6021

Yeah you gain an advantage for spending more money.
Kind of like people who buy gems and trade them for gold gain an advantage for spending more money…

Temper.7265

@Rukia

Ah… all the multiboxers trying to justify themselves, funny. You gain an unfair advantage, period. It is basically botting, you’re controlling multiple characters with one keyboard. That’s not humanly possible without some sort of program. So don’t give me that BS.

Nope three towers,three keyboards,three mice,three monitors,three accounts,one internet connection,no scripts,no macros,no third party programs,no bots.

Mind elaboratiing how I make mad profits ?

I’m sorry you aren’t able to multi task and use more than one rig at a time.You sound mad ?

Posted by: UnderdogSMO.9428

UnderdogSMO.9428

@Rukia

Nope three towers,three keyboards,three mice,three monitors,three accounts,one internet connection,no scripts,no macros,no third party programs,no bots.

Mind elaboratiing how I make mad profits ?

I’m sorry you aren’t able to multi task and use more than one rig at a time.You sound mad ?

man if you can play on 3 accounts with out bots more power to you.

you deserve what ever advantage you get. if it dosnt use bots i don’t consider it bad

Posted by: Rukia.4802

Rukia.4802

@Temp If you are controlling each character separately with individual keyboard & mice, I don’t have a problem with that. I am referring to multiboxing which uses a keybord multiplexer that has you other computers mimic your keystrokes, so you are effectively botting them, and controlling them all through one keyboard.

The kind of multi boxing you refer to I think is fine, and ANet actually tolerated it in GW1, hell I used 2 accounts in GW1 for years to transfer storage and use extra heroes. I even asked an ANet dev if it was ok, and didn’t get a “no”. They are very lenient.

I figured you would know what I was talking about when I mentioned the 40boxer in WoW.. I honestly didn’t know people referred to using more than 1 account without a multiplexer as boxing, so I was a bit confused I guess.

And no, I’m not mad lawl…

“I find this rain quite pleasant, it feels as though raindrops are blessing our victory”

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

How does someone who paid for 4 accounts using a multibox program affect you? Nothing is automated, no coding is changed, the only thing that happens is that keystrokes and mouse clicks are mirrored.

Nothing is automated? We’re not talking about someone sending different commands to several different characters separately here. That would be fine, and would probably never even be noticed as a multiboxer. What we’re dealing with is a program that takes everything the first character is doing it and automates sending those commands to the other characters.

Temper.7265

@Rukia

Yeah,I apologize,I didn’t mean to come off as rude.Multi boxing seems to cover a very wide range of things these days,compared to its original meaning,when first coined.

I’ve been using/playing with multiple computers for around 28 years in a lot of different types of games from ARPGs,MMOs,RTS and its just so second nature to me to manage so many periphials at once.

I will say tho,that I do not play multiples in GW2 because it wasn’t made with playing multi accounts in mind,which is apparent by the lack of in game commands.Plus it has a very fast combat system that would leave me drained for any more than a few fights.

I left WoW before the first expansion,so anything to do with that game is pretty much lost on me. =P

Posted by: Sunny Side.7960

Sunny Side.7960

When people say muti-boxing they almost definitely mean using a program to mimic commands to multiple computers, why would you think they mean manually using accounts?

Multi-boxing is most definitely wrong. This guy is doing no more work then anyone ells but getting 5 times the reward.

Attachments:

Posted by: Doxshund.9235

Doxshund.9235

I have been seeing mutliboxers botting

Asura > all

Etilrellim.7068

When people say muti-boxing they almost definitely mean using a program to mimic commands to multiple computers, why would you think they mean manually using accounts?

Multi-boxing is most definitely wrong. This guy is doing no more work then anyone ells but getting 5 times the reward.

He or she is using the resources he/she has at hand. Explain to me how he/she is affecting your game play, I am curious. So if he/she gets x5 the loot (for x5 accounts they bought) that is not fair? How is it not fair? How does it affect you?

(edited by Etilrellim.7068)

Posted by: Doxshund.9235

Doxshund.9235

Anet is very much about the spirit of the game.
Leveling 5 chars by doing the work of 1 is not part of their vision of the spirit of the game.
They don’t even allow simple mouse button marcos

Asura > all

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Multi-boxing is one of those fine line things where it’s entirely up to the company to decide whether it is okay or not.

A 3rd party program that sends a key press to all computers is actually a violation of the macro rule. However, this is usually ignored since you can use hardware to do the exact same thing, which isn’t a violation. It again becomes a violation however when the command sent to each computer is then converted into a macro, activating additional commands.

Since there isn’t a follow command in GW2, each character will have to be controlled using the movement keys. This means there will be sync issues over time, making it difficult to control. If there’s a few characters running in the exact same path and repeating, it’s probably not a multi-boxer, but rather bots that are setup to farm.

If the multi-boxer is just turreting the clones while the main one aggros stuff, that could be easily done by simply using multiple computers and initiating auto attack on each clone, which is not a violation. If they just wanted to multiply the loot, they just need to be in a party and the clones don’t actually need to do anything, which again, is not a violation.

For PvP, it would be simply too difficult to manage. Not only would they be easy to AoE, but without the ability to follow, you would only need to use a knockback to break them all, minus the master.

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hi everyone.

Multi-boxing is not allowed on Guild Wars 2 for it is a combination between botting and Third-Party program at the same time.

I will forward this concerns to the team to see if we can get some clearly stance about the issue posted, as Gaile Gray is already doing with the Third-Party programs.

As it is forbidden, the moment you see a case of multi-boxing, we would ask you to report it through the in-game tools. Thank you very much.

I will proceed now to close the thread.