** Request - Colour Blind Mode **

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

One of my guildies is colour blind. He loves the game. The part he has trouble with are the few areas of the game which require use of colour to be effective. ie – the new raid. He has a hard time differentiating between what he needs to hit. In situations like this, what he does is alter his graphic settings so he can more easily distinguish between what he needs to. It works great for the target, but makes the rest of the game look really messed up.

I propose a colour blind mode toggle. It would allow the entire game to have same standard standard graphics, but when selected would only change the appearance of things in the game where colour differentiation really matters. This way the game would be the same for everyone else, but the toggle could be enabled in the option menu for people who are colour blind.

I realize there are a few types of colour blindness, my friend is red/green. I’m not sure if it would be more beneficial to have default colour blind mode colours for the game depending on what type of colour blind you are, or if it would just be easier/better to let people set colours for 3-5 different colours depending on how many Anet wants people to differentiate between.

I know Anet has made great efforts to be as inclusive as possible, this would be another great step. This would also help pave the way for future colour based encounters.

Posted by: supermanboy.4592

supermanboy.4592

One-time bump. Merry Christmas everyone!!

Posted by: beefjus.9347

beefjus.9347

I’ve been asking for this since launch.

Current Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Beefjus/saved/WBx323
Planning on upgrading to a GTX980ti by late 2016

Posted by: Gd Anubis.4951

Gd Anubis.4951

Asking for since launch as well. I missed getting Mini Liadri the Concealing Darkness because I couldn’t see the rings. And since it doesn’t seem like Arenanet is going to come back out with QG, I will never get her.

Posted by: Makai.3429

Makai.3429

They have made some improvements, such as making newer attacks more visible, but sadly colorblind options are in the same realm as Bunny Ears, Ascended Valkyrie trinkets, Tribal Armor, and every other popular suggestion that Anet ignores.

Proud disabled gamer. Not everyone has the capacity to git gud.

Posted by: emkelly.2371

emkelly.2371

Oh My God yes. I have a guild mate who is legally blind. to him one red line is exactly like another, so targeting is hard. he needs enemies names to be white and larger!!!

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

Have you thought about colour overlay programs for your PC? They might be a solution for you until A net implements a colourblind mode.

Kitten.

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Out of sheer interest, because I’m admittedly very ignorant on this matter:
Is it common practice in games these days to include such a setting?

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

They did add edging to some aoe rings once apon a time I think. Not sure if they have increased it much since then.

beefjus.9347

Not a lot of titles have them, but there are some popular titles that have the option (The Witcher 3, Boarderlands, World of Warcraft, etc…)

Posted by: Mizuki Kusanagi.6584

Mizuki Kusanagi.6584

Thin red rings for the traps in Guild Rushs are still a PITA, can hardly seem until I’m practically on top & triggered the trip. I think I get thru most of those things on memorised / muscle memory alone

Posted by: Crimson Clouds.4853

Crimson Clouds.4853

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Yea, I’ve wanted this from the get-go. Those thin red circles are kitten near impossible to see for me.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Not a lot of titles have them, but there are some popular titles that have the option (The Witcher 3, Boarderlands, World of Warcraft, etc…)

That’s really interesting, thanks!

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

Posted by: kuscheldrow.6415

kuscheldrow.6415

I’m not colorblind myself, but other than that my eyes are really bad. I have my problems with these thin red AoE circles too, for example. I’ve been really thankful when Anet changed much of them to filled, orange circles. It made my life so much easier.

I’ve always been wondering how it must have been for colorblind people back in living story one, with the 3 knights and the following instance when the mapevent was successful. I’ve heard a few complaining. Given that a lot of people are actually sort of color blind, without even knowing themselves I can’t see why there shouldn’T be some kind of option like that.

I always thought it might help to use colors like yellow, cyan and magenta instead of RGB, but then I realized that there are issues with blue and yellow too, though red/green seems to be more common in different grades.

And while we’re at it, a question to those that actually are colorblind: Does it help at all, if you put everything to black/white? I’ve never tried it myself, as I rather have problems with contrasts than with colors, and that is fixed a lot easier using SweetFX oder GemFX. ^^"

Trahearne <3

Posted by: darkaheart.4265

darkaheart.4265

you guys know there is color blind glasses out there right?

here is the link
enchroma.com

dont believe it, search for enchroma glasses reaction on youtube

i7 3770k @ 4.5 ghz|Z77X-UD5H Motherboard|16GB @ 1600Mhz|GTX 1080|Corsair AX750 PSU|Windows 10 Home

(edited by darkaheart.4265)

Posted by: Silvercyclone.1462

Silvercyclone.1462

Im red/green color blind and i would love this option. i stay away from group stuff because i constantly get yelled at for AoEs. I also stay away from any skills with ground targeting.

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

Why this game doesn’t let you change the colors is beyond me. I know a few color blind people irl who would find this game annoying to play.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Im red/green color blind and i would love this option. i stay away from group stuff because i constantly get yelled at for AoEs. I also stay away from any skills with ground targeting.

I just try and stay out of all aoe circles. Sometimes even if it means I might miss out on boons.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

beefjus.9347

you guys know there is color blind glasses out there right?

here is the link
enchroma.com

dont believe it, search for enchroma glasses reaction on youtube

The site states that it works for 75% of people with Protan colour blindness (the kind I have)…and with a price tag like that, I can’t afford to buy a pair just to try it out. It’s nice that they’re making these though, I’ll probably try them when they get cheaper ($300+ for a pair of glasses that have no grade is expensive, what more if I have a 4.75 grade applied to each lens?)