Request: Halloween JP Not Part of Meta Reward

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ekarat.1085

ekarat.1085

In light of what happened with Wintersday last year, I would like to make a request not to require the Mad King’s Clock Tower JP for any Halloween meta rewards.

Just to avoid confusion, I don’t have a problem with an achievement or title for doing the Clock Tower JP because I can just skip that. What I don’t want is to link that to some larger collection that I would otherwise participate in (without allowing us to skip one of the items).

If you weren’t going to do the Wintersday JP, there wasn’t much point doing the other items in the Wintersday collection last year. Except for the JP and Festive Imbiber, I enjoyed working to get those achievements/collection items. In fact, I even managed to finally do the JP; however, the Halloween JP is even harder and I messed up my wrists badly enough doing the Wintersday JP.

In short, an achievement for the Halloween JP is fine by me, but requiring it for a meta-achievement (without the possibility of skipping) is not fine by me.

Posted by: sanedude.9450

sanedude.9450

I have no issue with this and the JPs are my favorite part about these events. That and the decorations. I don’t complete them for any fancy award, just the satisfaction of completing them.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

As long as I can work toward the meta by doing the JP, I don’t have a problem with it not being required. Having more achievements than are required for the meta is a good thing.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I have never managed to the do the Halloween or Wintersday JPs and I think it’s okay if some coveted & shiny rewards are gated behind them. The vast majority of rewards in this game are obtainable through luck, endurance & grind, or simply saving up coin. I think it’s good for the game if a few are gated behind skill and/or being at the right place/time.

(Of course, I won’t be sad if ANet follows the OP’s advice, since that would make it possible for me to get the shiny.)

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Bjarkov.9751

Bjarkov.9751

Wouldnt really expect a new “meta” reward man, at least if its a thing like winters presence. I think they will just do nightfury again, and then maybe add some new weapons and skins that you can either buy for candycorn or get via rng from trick or treat bags. I am excited for halloween though, fav time of the year in gw2 ^^

Posted by: Leiloni.7951

Leiloni.7951

In light of what happened with Wintersday last year, I would like to make a request not to require the Mad King’s Clock Tower JP for any Halloween meta rewards.

Just to avoid confusion, I don’t have a problem with an achievement or title for doing the Clock Tower JP because I can just skip that. What I don’t want is to link that to some larger collection that I would otherwise participate in (without allowing us to skip one of the items).

If you weren’t going to do the Wintersday JP, there wasn’t much point doing the other items in the Wintersday collection last year. Except for the JP and Festive Imbiber, I enjoyed working to get those achievements/collection items. In fact, I even managed to finally do the JP; however, the Halloween JP is even harder and I messed up my wrists badly enough doing the Wintersday JP.

In short, an achievement for the Halloween JP is fine by me, but requiring it for a meta-achievement (without the possibility of skipping) is not fine by me.

I completely agree with this. Many players don’t like JP and it’s not a standard MMORPG activity anyway, so why require people to do it? Personally I really hate them and it would ruin the fun of Halloween if I couldn’t earn a something because it required doing a JP along with the other actually fun activities. JP’s should be a fun side activity for those that enjoy them, but don’t require the rest of the playerbase to endure such stress when we’re supposed to be having fun.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I completely agree with this. Many players don’t like JP and it’s not a standard MMORPG activity anyway, so why require people to do it? Personally I really hate them and it would ruin the fun of Halloween if I couldn’t earn a something because it required doing a JP along with the other actually fun activities. JP’s should be a fun side activity for those that enjoy them, but don’t require the rest of the playerbase to endure such stress when we’re supposed to be having fun.

Because jumping has been a big part of this game since release. Not every MMO has to follow the cookie cutter mold.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Completely agree.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I disagree, if you say ‘one minigame is free’ then people will demand the same for others. I found the wintersday jumping puzzle really easy after some practice, but disliked the pvp bouts. So when you get your pass on the jumping puzzle, can I have my pass on the snowball fights?

yea, I guessed not.

Look, I understand you don’t like jumping puzzles, but they’re a part of the activity and event, and to exclude parts is the same as completely negating the value of the reward. Everyone has someone they dislike to an extend to consider not bothering, but if we give everyone their passes, then we end up nowhere. might as well not have halloween or wintersday at all since there’s always something that will offend, displace or otherwice incapacitates someone.

But not to sound like a stick’n’the’mud here, I can offer an alternative:
Every event/minigame you complete awards a currency, that decreases over the day, but resets the next day. That way people who don’t want do one thing can still compensate in the other minigames, but will take longer to get to their goal. That way people who can absolutely not jump at all can still have the value of the rewards.

Posted by: demitel.1340

demitel.1340

I disagree, if you say ‘one minigame is free’ then people will demand the same for others. I found the wintersday jumping puzzle really easy after some practice, but disliked the pvp bouts. So when you get your pass on the jumping puzzle, can I have my pass on the snowball fights?

yea, I guessed not.

Look, I understand you don’t like jumping puzzles, but they’re a part of the activity and event, and to exclude parts is the same as completely negating the value of the reward. Everyone has someone they dislike to an extend to consider not bothering, but if we give everyone their passes, then we end up nowhere. might as well not have halloween or wintersday at all since there’s always something that will offend, displace or otherwice incapacitates someone.

I agree.

Reminds me of South Park. If you give up on someone and start censoring stuff what offends people, everyone starts demanding it. Same concept.

Jumping puzzles has been in the game since the start and why would they change it now? I was not able to finish halloween JP earlier years. Eventually I did, but I never had any need to complain about it.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’d like for the JP (for Halloween and Wintersday, alike) to be an OPTION for completing the meta. I, personally, enjoy both of the JPs, but I know many other people just don’t enjoy it or can’t do it for various reasons. So, it’d be nice if it was an option.

Posted by: VaaCrow.3076

VaaCrow.3076

Nope, it’s been 4 years of this, it doesn’t need to change to to cater to a minority of players.

[Rise] Madness Rises Guild Leader [Kei Shade-ranger]
May our BL break all foes. Fear our babou!
Gunnars Hold Represent! <3

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Nope, it’s been 4 years of this, it doesn’t need to change to to cater to a minority of players.

The Halloween JP wasn’t a requirement for the meta last year, at least.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

People really should do their research before complaining about the possibility of the Halloween JP being required for the meta. It NEVER has been required.

In 2015, the JP wasn’t an option for the meta achievement. Players needed to do 8 out of the 9 available to complete the meta. Dailies did not count towards the meta.

In 2014, the JP wasn’t an option for the meta achievement. Players needed to do 12 out of the 14 available to complete the meta. The JP was part of the dailies but was on a rotation. Dailies counted toward meta.

In 2013, the JP wasn’t an option for the meta achievement. Players needed to do 13 out of the 13 available to complete the meta. The JP was part of the dailies but was on a rotation. Dailies counted toward meta.

I did not see a meta achievement on the wiki for 2012.

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

I don’t believe the clocktower has been part of the meta other than the first year it was around. Either way I both love and hate the JP but can totally understand not wanting it to be a lockout.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

yea, I guessed not.

But not to sound like a stick’n’the’mud here, I can offer an alternative:
Every event/minigame you complete awards a currency, that decreases over the day, but resets the next day. That way people who don’t want do one thing can still compensate in the other minigames, but will take longer to get to their goal. That way people who can absolutely not jump at all can still have the value of the rewards.

Holiday achievements used to work this way (without the currency part). Any Daily holiday activity that you completed would count toward the total achievement. If each activity gave 1 pt and the meta took 20 pts, you could fill the whole meta with one activity. I really preferred it that way – people should be able to have fun playing a game. They shouldn’t feel like they have to do an activity they don’t like.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Attis.8367

Attis.8367

There was an achievement for it in 2012.

Since 2013 its not part of the Halloween meta (no achievement for it as well).

I would like to have an achievement for it, to reward those who can complete the JP.

However, meta reward should be accessible for those not want to do / not able to do the JP. It is exceptionally hard compared to the others.
Maybe, there could be 20 achievement in the meta, but you would need to complete only 18 for the max reward…