Request: Instances for roleplayers

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nokomis.5076

Nokomis.5076

Hello everyone,

as I’m one of the many roleplayers in Guild Wars 2, I thought I might share something I had in mind.

It would be very helpful for the roleplayers and for the other players if the first ones could have an instance for RP. Reasons:
- more than often roleplayers will scale enemies up to high levels, even so they don’t attend to the events around them
- the other players more often scold the roleplayers for wasting user space on the map, for example when Tarir should be freed
- non-roleplayers very often molest the roleplayers either with spamming text or abilities or both at once.

To make it more useful for roleplayers, such an instance should have some specialties:
- no spamcheck for messages. Roleplayers often post a lot of text and if the spamfilter kicks in, sometimes they have to wait some minutes before they continue
- no enemies around. This way roleplayers can’t abuse the instance for leveling or collecting events and at the same time aren’t disturbed from enemies no matter where they play
- abilities should last longer, eventually until disabled. For example when you create a magical shield or a wall of flame and want to use the ingame abilities for it, the 6 seconds the shield or wall is displayed aren’t very helpful if people write a lot of text.

I could think that this would help both, roleplayers and non-roleplayers to have some more fun

Any objections?

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

An idea… Perhaps join a RP guild if you have not already or start your own. Then you can go to the guild hall to do your RP because it is like an instance. So in essence it would be the RP instance you are talking about. No mobs, no events to scale up, no non-RPers to harass you and so forth. Of course that does not address your other suggestions about message suppression and what not. Just an idea.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

An idea… Perhaps join a RP guild if you have not already or start your own. Then you can go to the guild hall to do your RP because it is like an instance. So in essence it would be the RP instance you are talking about. No mobs, no events to scale up, no non-RPers to harass you and so forth. Of course that does not address your other suggestions about message suppression and what not. Just an idea.

While joining a RP guild is a good idea, the rest of that’s pretty terrible. (Sorry.)

Not only does that keep you from RPing with people outside of that guild, but it also keeps you in the same setting constantly. Imagine the Harry Potter books if they were inside of Hogwarts all the time. It’s a great setting, yes, but it would be awful if it was the only setting used. It would be like never going beyond Queensdale for PvE.

I think what the OP wants is a way to tell the game “stick me in a zone instance with other RPers” or “stick me in a zone instance with non-RPers”. Sadly, until they give us a way to select our instances at will, I don’t see that happening. ESPECIALLY for RP. ANet’s actually pretty RP-hostile for some strange reason.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I thought the mega servers had all but killed RP in open world. Also OP, RPing in HoT maps when meta is close to finishing is almost as bad as ANets idea of sticking a raid entrance in a meta map.

While I don’t condone people greafing others. There are lots, and lots of maps RPers could use. When I played WoW I played on an RP server. The only time I really saw RP was in the towns. So they would not interfere with other players “doing there thing”

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

A couple years ago I posted a suggestion to allow players to purchase an item/service that works similar to Private Arenas — except that instead of creating a PvP arena, it would create a copy of a PvE map just for you and whoever you want to allow in.

The instance owner could control who can enter the map, and set parameters such as setting the day/night cycle and weather, disabling all enemies and/or all events (which would also disable resource nodes, POIs, vistas, loot chests, etc. – to avoid exploiting), being able kick off events on demand (but significantly reducing rewards when doing so – again, to prevent exploiting), and so on.

Basically, let players rent private instances of PvE zones — whether it be for roleplaying or any other purpose — and give them some degree of customizing those instances to their taste.

Now I’ll admit that a lot of thought would need to go into this to ensure it couldn’t be used for exploits or provide material benefit. But from a technical standpoint, it sure seems like GW2’s server tech could support it. And if ArenaNet charged a reasonable price I bet a good number of people would jump at the chance to buy a 1 day / 1 week / 1 month pass that provides such an ability.

Maybe there’s some critical flaw in that idea, but I think it could be a rather bold move that would really set GW2 apart from other mainstream MMORPGs. And I think it would be something GW2 could actually pull off quite well because of how its server tech is designed.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s an MMO — I can’t really see ANet going out of their way to make it easy for one group of players to avoid other groups or to interact with the game in a different way from others. I am not better served by a segregation of players and I’m not convinced by the above arguments that even hard-core RPers are best served either.

If people want to RP in Tyria, they should expect to interact with events in Tyria. If they just want to RP, there are better tools than using GW2.

That said, I would be in favor of tools that make it easier for groups to find each other. We don’t yet have a “looking for guild” tool, which would be useful to everyone and, done right, could also be used for “looking for RP”.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

As someone from Piken Square who regularly RPs in the open PvE maps, I can honestly say we don’t really need this suggestion. I run an RP Mercenary guild, and most of our RP is done away from the cities, where events and mobs take place. Apart from the odd disruptive non-RPer, we suffer minimal disruption, and hardly any map chat confrontation.

Not to sound too blunt, but your idea simply alienates Roleplayers away from most of the open world that Guild Wars 2 offers all players. Roleplayers want to RP in places where there are pubs, garrisons, fields, farms, caves etc. just as much as Non-RPers want to fight with them. On Piken Square at least, that’s pretty mush achieved anyway with minimal bickering from people who don’t understand roleplayers.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Fjaeldmark.9043

Fjaeldmark.9043

I can see one major issue with instances for RPers. What is going to stop trolls from entering a messing with things? Especially since they’ll know exactly were to find you.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Have you tried creating a party with people? Not only will you have a better chance of being in the same instance but you will have another chat channel to use.

Posted by: Nokomis.5076

Nokomis.5076

“What is going to stop trolls from entering a messing with things?”
- probably it won’t stop them. But when they enter an instance for roleplayers and make trouble, it’s much easier to report them for violating rule 1 of the rules of conduct listed https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/ here

“Have you tried creating a party with people?”
- I did. We also used a squad. But it doesn’t solve the problems of being around in a world where people want to make mapbased events, like BrotherBelial told in a post before.

“Roleplayers want to RP in places where there are pubs, garrisons, fields, farms, caves etc. just as much as Non-RPers want to fight with them.”
- the idea would be to have the same maps like everyone else, just without enemies, events, quest NPCs and such.

“If they just want to RP, there are better tools than using GW2.”
- better tools than playing in the very same world your character originates from? Sure, we could use Skype or TeamSpeak. But why bothering having a GW2 based roleplay anyway then? Without graphics and all.

Maybe a possible way would be to create a world where people can’t move their characters to but only being a guest to it, when they want to have a world without enemies.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

i can’t see them making whole, empty maps for role players. Not only would that take dev time and money to do as well as making more maps for the servers to support, but it would remove people from the game world who go in there. Maps empty of all mobs and events are also boring and sterile. Except for a few specialty maps with houses, I would think they would be abandoned after a few uses. So all in all I don’t see ANet putting in empty maps for anyone.

Maybe instead you should ask for a role play map chat. A chat that isn’t party or map or say chat so you can talk together and not attract passing trolls.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

“Roleplayers want to RP in places where there are pubs, garrisons, fields, farms, caves etc. just as much as Non-RPers want to fight with them.”
- the idea would be to have the same maps like everyone else, just without enemies, events, quest NPCs and such.

If that’s what you’re after, then I can’t really support the idea. This IS the world of GW2 we’re talking about. Those people are there. Those events are there. They are as much a part of the setting as the pubs, garrisons, and caves.

Plus, I’m sure someone would find some way to turn it into an exploit. Helping RPers wind up on the same map instance is one thing, but this just sounds like a bad idea to me. Sorry.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The best would likely be the choosing of shards instead of the megaserver. That way Shards A-C are the meta maps for HoT. Shard D is for general map exploration, personal story, hero challenges, chest farming, etc. Shard E is for RP’ing. While they number of shards would have to be larger I would imagine, you get my point. The RP’s can choose the shard that players aren’t trying to be productive in. So instead of having an RP server, you have an RP shard.