Request: Please remove Anti - farming system

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kromica.2831

Kromica.2831

This is ridiculous I play for 15 -20 mins and then my loot drops stop completely. Why should I even log in if I can’t play how I enjoy to?

Posted by: Wazabi.1439

Wazabi.1439

just farm at a different spot?

Kromica.2831

Ok I will go farm for drops I don’t need

Posted by: Gurpsmeister.9068

Gurpsmeister.9068

all you’ll get is butter anyhow..

Posted by: Akhaandir.8297

Akhaandir.8297

How about you go farm a different group of mobs that drop the same item you’re farming? You arent forced to grind one small, specific area for a single kind of item you know?

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

So much butter.

Guild Wars, y u let paula deen design your loot engine?

Posted by: Akhaandir.8297

Akhaandir.8297

Eh im only getting butter every 5-6 bags, every other bag i get gives me stuff i can use. Then again im tailor/jc so i use everythign except wood

Kromica.2831

Let me enter a code or something every 30mins or so to prove I am not a bot, but let me play how I want.

Posted by: Warhawk.9251

Warhawk.9251

I don’t think grinding one specific mob helps anyway. Things don’t drop based on the type of mob you kill. It’s all random.

Kromica.2831

I don’t think grinding one specific mob helps anyway. Things don’t drop based on the type of mob you kill. It’s all random.

Actually crafting mats do drop based on the mob.

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

I am confused about this really. I farm mats for crafting for couple hours and continue to get drops. Are you trying to farm the same spawn point or something?

Kromica.2831

I am confused about this really. I farm mats for crafting for couple hours and continue to get drops. Are you trying to farm the same spawn point or something?

Its not just for mats, If I use magic find buffs and only get 15 mins of actual drops its a waste. This is wrong

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

You can only use drops from one spot?

Kromica.2831

It’s called being efficient, if I find a spot with a high mob count that I can kill somewhat quickly then its worth my time.

Posted by: Cazio.2137

Cazio.2137

Its not just for mats, If I use magic find buffs and only get 15 mins of actual drops its a waste. This is wrong

Crafting mats are about specific mobs and that is what you are claiming you need those mobs for. If it is items you are looking for with magic find then you don’t need specific mobs.

Posted by: Zombius.1243

Zombius.1243

Whats the point of farming anyways everything is streamlined to a balance anyways whether you play 1 hour or 100 hours you will still be the same in Spvp. No matter how much gear you have you cant out dps the CUE times for WvW so whats the point.

Kromica.2831

Crafting mats are about specific mobs and that is what you are claiming you need those mobs for. If it is items you are looking for with magic find then you don’t need specific mobs.

No I simply stated that the poster was wrong in what they thought, I never said I hate this only for crafting mats.

Kromica.2831

I farm certain loops for a long time and the loot just keeps dropping….maybe you are bad?

You are right loot doesn’t drop because I am killing things wrong…… please get a clue

Kromica.2831

Whats the point of farming anyways everything is streamlined to a balance anyways whether you play 1 hour or 100 hours you will still be the same in Spvp. No matter how much gear you have you cant out dps the CUE times for WvW so whats the point.

My issue has nothing to do with pvp

Khristophoros.7194

It’s called being efficient, if I find a spot with a high mob count that I can kill somewhat quickly then its worth my time.

Apparently your approach is not efficient in GW2. Not every game works the same way.

Posted by: Slaunyeh.9852

Slaunyeh.9852

Because crafting requires significantly more crafting components than you can collect ‘naturally’ through normal gameplay, and if you outlevel a certain level tier it’s going to be a pain to collect components from that tier later.

The game very much wants you to grind.

Kromica.2831

Learn, adapt, overcome.

If you can’t do that… well there’s always “go back to WoW”, right?

People don’t really play that garbage still do they

Posted by: Shadowcrawler.6590

Shadowcrawler.6590

When was this anti-farming implemented? Last weekend i was able to farm the same area for hours, but i must say i farmed 3 diffrent kinds of mobs is this area, maybe thats why i still got drops after a longer farming session?

Posted by: Rock.7324

Rock.7324

When was this anti-farming implemented? Last weekend i was able to farm the same area for hours, but i must say i farmed 3 diffrent kinds of mobs is this area, maybe thats why i still got drops after a longer farming session?

This really. I farm bats for blood, spiders for that poison thingy etc. and they always drop.

Did this, what you’re experiencing, happen now? Or has it been like that from the start for you?

* ’Ko leži ne beži! *
Rockbaby – Asura Guardian, Desolation EU :)
Rockavenger – Dwarf Paladin, Bronzebeard EU :D

Posted by: Payne.5062

Payne.5062

the anti-farming method is not only great at removing boters with farming macro but also increases gameplay as always moving on will get new you mining ores and challenges to prevent the game getting stale

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Just to clarity if you use magic buffs ( from foods I assume since you say they last a couple of min)- they work best when you harvest- dyes from plants, gems from ore, stashes from wood.
They do not really as far as I have found increase magic finds from mob drops.
So if your buff running out is your issue, you shouldn’t be farming mobs with a magic find buff.
If you do need crafting mats from mobs, there are several types of creatures that drop specific materials. eg Centaurs drop cloth and leather. Reptiles like Drakes and Skales drop blood and scales etc. Usually you can find more than one place on a map to farm those, just create a route.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Shael.4703

Shael.4703

Let me enter a code or something every 30mins or so to prove I am not a bot, but let me play how I want.

No way. That is very annoying, I’ve seen games with that and only drove me away.

His thread has nothing to do with PvP, wrong thread or trolling?

That’s the point. Move around. I’ll bet that we trigger the anti-farming system if we stay in one sub-sub-area and kill the same mobs over a certain period of time. Which is usually is the ‘checks’ in other games with such anti-farm features.

I haven’t seen that pop-up or low drop yet because I move around a lot, I kill different mobs, and I don’t follow any pattern, everything is random.

My blog/sites: gameshogun & Tomes of Knowledge

Khristophoros.7194

Apparently your approach is not efficient in GW2. Not every game works the same way.

It was until Anet went stupid

I don’t think they’ll change it. It sounds like a decent anti-bot measure that a smart player can easily overcome by moving around killing mobs instead of camping one spawn.

Posted by: Bubbles.1047

Bubbles.1047

Best comeback ever.

Posted by: teemoor.4397

teemoor.4397

People here don’t know much about botting it seems. Nowadays bots not only will change locations and mobs, they will also sell loot, ressurect at WP and run back. I’ve seen bots answer PMs. I’ve seen gathering bots running routes, changing maps. They even made a flying bot for aether gathering in Aion!

This anti-farm code won’t stop them. But it sure as hell is gonnakitten off legit players.

Posted by: LED Head.2439

LED Head.2439

I’m not really sure on this subject, in one hand we the crowd who things your fail if you don’t move around a lot to avoid it, in the other we have those with multiple views and ways to improve the system or remove the anti farming mechanic.

I am sort of stuck in the middle because I do move around a lot I just occasionally find a nice group of mobs along the way that are dropping what I want reasonably fast and they re spawn quite quickly I would like the option to stay there for 30 – 45mins and farm them while they are doping nicely with out completely destroying my drop chances in the overall zone.

Is that really that big of an issue? I see the system as it is as punishing players who are not bots and happen to want to farm for a little while before continuing on and doing random things.

I for one would be happy to compromise with Anet about this and keep the mechanic if it triggered for those who farm like this for more than an hour in the same spot but have a larger trigger time if you spread your farming out thought the zone with a time of 5 hours total.

Then another idea to compromise this is those who farm the same mob type for more than 45mins only that Mob Type would start to drop less items and not effect your adventures around the region your currently in.

I feel for Anet because anti botting measures like this puts them between a hard place and a rock and not everyone is going to agree with the systems they put in place though they must be open to suggestions from those players effected that could still keep the system effective against bots but not punish the players which is never an easy task.

As it stands now a lot of you are arguing to out right remove the system or are in favor of it while these are all well and good opinions if anything is to be done about it that would be a fair compromise for Anet.

I feel that is the direction the discussion here should start to take instead of endlessly repeating each others opinions.

People here don’t know much about botting it seems. Nowadays bots not only will change locations and mobs, they will also sell loot, ressurect at WP and run back. I’ve seen bots answer PMs. I’ve seen gathering bots running routes, changing maps. They even made a flying bot for aether gathering in Aion!

This anti-farm code won’t stop them. But it sure as hell is gonnakitten off legit players.

This is about the only real realistic point of view I have read in this entire thread. There is a botting discussion thread around as well which I posted additional botting information in that thread.

It is 100% true that right now that Anet don’t have any serious bot detection the fact is bots are so smart now that we do not need to focus on these sorts of measures anymore and instead Anet should be focusing on detection of the processors and algorithms the commonly used bot programs use and detect them at login to prevent non legit players even starting the game or playing while the bot program is running.

(edited by LED Head.2439)

Khristophoros.7194

It stops the people who “bot” with a macro like AHK or taping down their ‘1’ key or whatever. It’s not a full solution but it creates somewhat of a barrier of entry into botting. A player has to either program a sophisticated bot themselves or find one that somebody else made. It definitely reduces the amount of botting. Yeah it doesn’t stop the big time botters. Obviously ANet needs other measures as well.

I don’t get how it’s such a terrible thing that you have to run around the map instead of camping a spawn. I don’t buy the efficiency argument because everybody is subject to the same conditions so relative to the economy you aren’t missing out on efficiency. It’s just a matter of using the most efficient available methods.

(edited by Khristophoros.7194)

Posted by: Mightylink.3816

Mightylink.3816

You know if they didn’t force us to farm this wouldn’t be a problem, jute scraps are so incredibly rare and expensive in the trading post, most people just give up on crafting, it shows in my guild roster, I don’t see anyone over 50 in any crafting that requires cloth…

Mightylink – Norn Necromancer
Mythiclink – Asura Engineer

Posted by: Zombius.1243

Zombius.1243

No way. That is very annoying, I’ve seen games with that and only drove me away.

His thread has nothing to do with PvP, wrong thread or trolling?

That’s the point. Move around. I’ll bet that we trigger the anti-farming system if we stay in one sub-sub-area and kill the same mobs over a certain period of time. Which is usually is the ‘checks’ in other games with such anti-farm features.

I haven’t seen that pop-up or low drop yet because I move around a lot, I kill different mobs, and I don’t follow any pattern, everything is random.

Not trolling at all good sir. To me PVP and PVE go hand in hand in a general sense at least in other titles. You grind you get OP and then you PVP with your epic loots you earn from PVE. So dispite his thread not being about PVP I would only assume the value of farming to get gear to PVP with. SPVP doesnt use PVE gear but WvW would.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

the anti-farming method is not only great at removing boters with farming macro but also increases gameplay as always moving on will get new you mining ores and challenges to prevent the game getting stale

This. Without the anti-farm mechanic, soon the sweet spots will be identified, then the first farm-bat (or whatever monster) build will appear, then it will become mandatory to copy them in order to keep up with the economy. So no, please stick to the current method anet. I had my fill of W/MO troll and minotaur farming for 2 livetimes.

Wazabi.1439

sigh….every time something doesn’t work in a way a person wants, they come here and QQ to demand change without thinking through the consequences.

So op thinks its ok for farmers to exploit that as long as op gets what he wants. He’ll probably then make another thread complaining about farmers…or that his mats can’t sell for kitten.

Payne.5062

the only thing im sorry for not being included in the game is the ability to PK boters (and players in pve) …but i love the game too much to care

Posted by: texhnolyze.6425

texhnolyze.6425

20 minutes?
really?
i farm at cursed shore 1-2 hours a day, didn’t happen to me

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

You could, of course, also work like this:
Rotate the mobs you farm in an area (if you are so hell-bent on farming), sell the drops you don’t need (crafting mats usually sell well at the TP), use the money gained from those sales to buy the mats you need.
Problem solved.

Polka will never die

Posted by: mOOnRaBBiT.8913

mOOnRaBBiT.8913

then people discover that same spot and start farming there 24/7 and you will have 10 people competing for the mobs on that same spot. something like that happened to one of the MMO i’ve played before.

i only heard about this anti-farming recently, but i think it’s a good idea not just for countering botters.

(edited by mOOnRaBBiT.8913)

Payne.5062

I just love that Gw2 has all this unique revolutionary mechanisms that solve all problems in such a simple and unique way. This game kinda revolutionises MMO’s.

ArenaNet is just full of brilliant ideas.

(edited by Payne.5062)

Wazabi.1439

some people just can’t get used to the revolutionary mechanism

Posted by: Wormfodder.2051

Wormfodder.2051

The only profession I seem to be able to level with any kind of efficiency is cooking and jewel crafting. My other crafting professions are seriously lacking as RNG completely hates me. I can farm a recommended area for hours and only get 1 totem or 3 scales, etc. Impossible to level a profession in tandem with my level like this.

Whether the glass is half empty or half full, there is still only half there.

Posted by: Tom Gore.4035

Tom Gore.4035

The only profession I seem to be able to level with any kind of efficiency is cooking and jewel crafting. My other crafting professions are seriously lacking as RNG completely hates me. I can farm a recommended area for hours and only get 1 totem or 3 scales, etc. Impossible to level a profession in tandem with my level like this.

Most of the fine mats are pretty reasonably priced, so just buy them from the TP. I’ve leveled my weaponsmith and jeweler simultaneously and spent maybe 20s total for mats in the TP. Rest I have gotten from adventuring (and killing pretty much every mob I come across – this helps).

One – Piken Square

Wormfodder.2051

Most of the fine mats are pretty reasonably priced, so just buy them from the TP. I’ve leveled my weaponsmith and jeweler simultaneously and spent maybe 20s total for mats in the TP. Rest I have gotten from adventuring (and killing pretty much every mob I come across – this helps).

I’m a completionist. I rarely leave a zone until I’ve found every vista, poi, and completed every heart. This involves a lot of killing, and when I’m finished with the zone, I might have enough mats to earn one crafting point. Drop rates need to be adjusted I think.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

GW1 also had the same anti-farming policy in place and they haven’t changed it in all the years it’s been out. Don’t expect them to change it with GW2. That said, find a few of groups of whatever to kill and alternate between the groups in order to avoid it. Even if you farm some crating mats you don’t need, you can either bank them or trade them on the trading post.

Wormfodder.2051

I don’t mind the anti-farming, but I do mind not getting crafting mats at all. Be it 10 minutes or 10 hours, my drop rates seem to be the same. /shrug

Posted by: Yonan.5376

Yonan.5376

Keep the anti farming mechanic please.

Posted by: ZannX.4058

ZannX.4058

Well that’s precisely it. Similar to Diablo 3 AH, GW2 has the TP. You’re better off farming for gold and buying what you need with gold vs. farming a specific drop.

Posted by: Eochaidh.4106

Eochaidh.4106

Because crafting requires significantly more crafting components than you can collect ‘naturally’ through normal gameplay, and if you outlevel a certain level tier it’s going to be a pain to collect components from that tier later.

The game very much wants you to grind.

I have to agree that crafting could use an overhaul. It’s probably the most traditional and uninspired area of this game. The fact that they made it as accessible as possible, along with exp rewards for crafting, doesn’t help either. There is no economical value for crafting if everyone does it. Equipment has no value now and people just want to craft for leveling and sell whatever they crafted quick to get more mats. There is a lot more profit to be made by selling all mats you find than investing in crafting.

I mean, I’ve seen some level 50 people with flabbergasting 10 gold for not jumping into the crafting sinking ship.