Request: Rainbow Dye for Marriage Equality!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Recluce.3709

Recluce.3709

GW2 has a beautiful diverse world with characters that obviously love whomever they want, and neither gender not race seem to get in the way of that love. It a key element of the world we both live and play in. As the U.S. Supreme Court has finally weighed in on the side of Marriage Equality I ask that Anet show their support and help us players show it too, with the creation of a Rainbow Dye.

And please, make it available to all players, and not some super rare drop from the hardest JP chest you can only get to after battling Jormag and the Shatterers illegitimate twin dragon babies that spawns only on odd days of the week when the moon is waning.

Thank you for your consideration!

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

If you get a special gay friendly colour, i want a special hetero colour, just for the sake of equality.

I mean, it’s pretty absurd to say “we are all equal” when dressing purposedly different.

Posted by: IrishPotato.6327

IrishPotato.6327

Did you stop to think of how ridiculous that would look on armor

Posted by: SyllyReth.2495

SyllyReth.2495

ANet shows its support for diversity in tons of different ways. You can make your own rainbow dye very easily: dye each piece of armor a different color.

Unbridled Dynasty [UND]

Posted by: Red Queen.7915

Red Queen.7915

If you get a special gay friendly colour, i want a special hetero colour, just for the sake of equality.

I mean, it’s pretty absurd to say “we are all equal” when dressing purposedly different.

Way to miss the point. Did your highest court also have to tell people that heterosexual marriage should be legal? I’m guessing nope, that has always been legal. Try to think about that distinction for a minute.
_

I kind of like the idea. I mean, you already can dye your armour in rainbow colours (more or less, some dye channels are weirdly placed…), but a special shiny dye would be pretty cool. Maybe something that makes your armour shine like the legendary greatwords
They did it with the pink dye in GW1 for breastcancer awareness month, so maybe.

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

IrishPotato.6327

ANet shows its support for diversity in tons of different ways. You can make your own rainbow dye very easily: dye each piece of armor a different color.

This ^ /Chars that I need to add

Posted by: tovadaun.6304

tovadaun.6304

snip…
And please, make it available to all players, and not some super rare drop from the hardest JP chest you can only get to after battling Jormag and the Shatterers illegitimate twin dragon babies that spawns only on odd days of the week when the moon is waning.

Thank you for your consideration!

I like the idea, I agree that something should be shown for the decision of recognizing Marriage Equality.
But this…
This show of exactly how it feels to get something new they’ve put into the game really hits a home run. Thank you for warming my heart with your suggestion as well as making me laugh by reminding me just how much of an uphill struggle they’d make it to get!

Kitta the Conjurer, Guardian- At Your Service- Yak’s Bend
Stuff! Stuffy stuff stuff stuff!!

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

Nice idea but you can already do this just by mix and matching colors on your armor. And it does look pretty bad. It really wouldn’t work on armor as a dye unless it was tiny little rainbow stripes or something but I personally don’t think that would look too great.

I think a rainbow over LA would be cool tho.

(edited by Andraus.3874)

Posted by: Nilix.2170

Nilix.2170

The hardest JP chest you can only get to after battling Jormag and the Shatterers illegitimate twin dragon babies that spawns only on odd days of the week when the moon is waning.

I would like to request that this become a dynamic event.

Mortar Shot is STILL nerfed by 28%
Purity of Purpose

(edited by Nilix.2170)

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

I think that’s exactly what he was aiming for. Sadly.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

There was a thread suggesting things like rainbow colouring as a legendary dye and thus validating chef as crafting lvl 500.

There were some other suggestions in there like night/day dye

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

Also can we get a “/nance” command added for those of us who take dancing to the next level!

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Recluce.3709

Could look really amazing if done right. And with those white wings and halo too? And the bow that shoots rainbow unicorns, with unicorn finisher? Amazing, really.

Recluce.3709

When I see toons with this hanging around LA I don’t think “oh, he’s showing Pride”, I think “oh, another 10 year old who chose the 6 brightest colors off the palate.”

Red Queen.7915

When I see toons with this hanging around LA I don’t think “oh, he’s showing Pride”, I think “oh, another 10 year old who chose the 6 brightest colors off the palate.”

And other people look at my legendary and think “Ugh, another rich noob who bought it for cash”. Why do you think I care any more than the person you assume to be a child does?
People would probably apply a rainbow dye simply because they think it looks cool. It’s still a nice idea, maybe to kick off the level 500 chef, as someone else mentioned. Though they might need to rename the current pride dye to avoid confusion^^

PSA: The amount of small felines serves as an indicator for just how angry I am at something.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

I’m voting no. A rainbow dye would be ugly, and it only refers to “marriage equality” in a small percentage of the world making it largely meaningless.

Server: Devona’s Rest

IrishPotato.6327

Well this guy gave it a shot in Fallout….

Attachments:

Red Queen.7915

Nice
Do you by chance know where to get that/what to search for on the Nexus? I can’t find it.

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

IrishPotato.6327

Nice
Do you by chance know where to get that/what to search for on the Nexus? I can’t find it.

I know exactly where to search for it. Google images.

Red Queen.7915

kitten . My mod list is hungry

Kaerleikur @ Elonaspitze

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I find it odd to associate a rainbow dye with marriage equality. While I am utterly thrilled that gender is becoming no bar to marriage I really wouldn’t use that as a basis for requesting rainbow dye. All you’ll do is fan the flames of controversy when you could have joined in on the threads wanting it just because it’s pretty and then if implemented in game used it to gussy up for a wedding.

Rainbows aren’t for the exclusive use of gay pride

Meanwhile, here’s something you can do with the dyes in game. I spotted this guy in RS one day. Bonus pic of what a guildie of mine managed early in the game.

Attachments:

(edited by Donari.5237)

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

I’d love some kind of special event/item to celebrate today. But in my opinion a rainbow dye would be awful lol XD

IrishPotato.6327

No but it’s become a symbol of it and a representation….

Donari.5237

No but it’s become a symbol of it and a representation….

Which is why having it available in game can be adapted to such interests, without asking to have it in game only to cater to those interests. I’m straight and I want the option of having rainbows too. It wouldn’t bother me for people to think I was supporting gay rights by using them, since I’m very pro gay rights, I just don’t want them to get shoved into being only that or to be a Message instead of a fashion statement.

I added some pics to my post to illustrate current possibilities.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

Yeah, i can see it now. Thread after thread after thread of “oh can you guys also add in an area where we can show our support for the banning of obtaining a slow loris as a pet?”, or “Can we buy ‘X’ color dye in support of ‘X’ cause?”

Can we just stop.

I love that Anet is and has been as inclusive in their world’s lore for same sex couples, transgender, physically disabled, etc but seriously. Enough. They don’t have to add literally every marginalized group into their lore just because they exist in our world and are marginalized there. We get it. We do.

Should they model and add in someone with Downs Syndrome? Perhaps someone struggling with Schizophrenia?

I’m all for games trying to tackle hot button social issues when appropriate to the game and over all message therein, but when its just thrown in there like this, it not only feels forced, but out of place and unnecessary.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

No hate forRainbows!

https://youtu.be/T7ijDnlkDRo

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Atlas.9704

Atlas.9704

I’m not going to throw my hat in for rainbow support.
Mainly because a “rainbow dye” would look ugly to me.

Now if ANet wants to create a series of dyes bundled together for gem sales, I’d be behind that. One super rare red, blue, you get the picture and like the other dye sales you get a chance of getting one.

Or if they really wanted to have fun with it, one day have some regular NPCs discuss their plans about marriage in that new garden Lion’s Arch has.

It could be low key, but still a cute little thing for those who really enjoy watching these characters go about their lives.

Elona, Land of the Golden Sun….and undead…and poison. The travel brochure lied okay?!

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

1 dye containing the whole rainbow seems to go against the point. Its no 1 right way but lots of ways.If you want to wear rainbow colors this game has plenty to offer and plenty of armor slots to paint them on.

Posted by: Snow.2048

Snow.2048

Why can’t I get a rainbow dye, stop discriminating against us asexuals/heterosexuals/bisexuals/everyone else beyond (insert your special group here). I want it for my more fabulous characters.

Because any true man has at least one fabulous character. So spaketh Snow (capital letter 2048, not to be confused with the other snows).

Posted by: strider.9215

strider.9215

Equality of all types already exists in Tyria. ANet has shown that they are very inclusive. No need to create a special item in game for a real world development that happened in the US. However, no one is stopping you from expressing yourself with the existing dyes.

Posted by: Egon Vidar.9125

Egon Vidar.9125

“oh can you guys also add in an area where we can show our support for the banning of obtaining a slow loris as a pet?”

That is a bad analogy and not comparable to what LGBTQA people have had to deal with.

I love that Anet is and has been as inclusive in their world’s lore for same sex couples, transgender, physically disabled, etc but seriously. Enough. They don’t have to add literally every marginalized group into their lore just because they exist in our world and are marginalized there.

You’re contradicting yourself, and also, is that a problem?

Should they model and add in someone with Downs Syndrome? Perhaps someone struggling with Schizophrenia?.

…Again, is that a problem?

All people want is representation. I’m not saying rainbow dye is the absolute best way to do it, though it doesn’t hurt. But when almost all you see in media is one specific type of person, when there’s so much incredible diversity in the world, it becomes, well. A bit of a downer to be in one of those marginalized groups. You know what marginalization means, yes?

Posted by: tyrranis.8430

tyrranis.8430

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF GAMING and btw just because your gay/hetro/metro/greyjoy you do NOT deserve special treatment!!!

Ronan devrari.
Gandara…

Posted by: Regenas.6845

Regenas.6845

KEEP POLITICS OUT OF GAMING and btw just because your gay/hetro/metro/greyjoy you do NOT deserve special treatment!!!

Remember: Dyes are not limited to gay people
Heck i am hetersoxual, and i would use that awesome dye \o/

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Could get yourself The Dreamer, it has rainbows.

I am all for equality, but dye would look fairly dumb.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

Posted by: Melanie.1240

Melanie.1240

Sooo…Every time a country in the world decides to support gay marriage Anet should do something for the gay community?

Regenas.6845

Could get yourself The Dreamer, it has rainbows.

I am all for equality, but dye would look fairly dumb.

Not everyone has the right class, or time for a legendary.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

All people want is representation. I’m not saying rainbow dye is the absolute best way to do it, though it doesn’t hurt. But when almost all you see in media is one specific type of person, when there’s so much incredible diversity in the world, it becomes, well. A bit of a downer to be in one of those marginalized groups. You know what marginalization means, yes?

Yes, as a Puerto Rican male that has been slammed against a car by 5 white cops for having the “audacity” to walk through Spanish Harlem on a Saturday morning, I know full well what it is to be marginalized, tyvm.

As someone who’s had a gay friend jumped and beaten simply because they were gay, i know what its like to see people hurt due to another ignorance.

As someone who is frankly terrified for his 2 young daughters and the world that still insists on dictating to them what their gander can and can’t do, i get it. Really I do.

Here’s what you seem to be missing from my statement above, and that is, I don’t mind it when it is meaningful or helps in some way with the plot, etc. I genuinely liked the Marjory/Kas thing, not only because they are a couple, but because they actually touched upon the fact that not everyone in this world of Tyria is necessarily OK with it. THAT is a good way to put a social message in the game without beating people over the head with it.

In Last of Us, the info gleaned about Bill and his partner was very well done and was full of feels, and they way it was all delivered in game was done in such as way as to make it both meaningful without being preachy.

Simply adding X group into a game or X message into the game because they have some some kitten in their lives, and then doing so as a dye in support of, or some other we put this here cuz reasons, frankly cheapens the message and the issues they actually deal with day in and day out. it trivializes the whole thing and makes Anet look more like they are saying “look at us! we’re inclusive!” So what?

maybe they need to put in a mini pet llama with a “Save Tibet” banner over its back. Oh wait, no, they can’t do that if they want to still sell the game in China.

Not to mention the act of doing so means nothing outside of the game and ultimately amounts to naval gazing.

Anet has already shown their support loud and clear for the LGBTQ community time and time again, and its great, but everyone and everything doesn’t need to have their own personal soap box in the game. This isn’t the capitol square of Madison, WI on a Saturday morning where every group, big and small, needs to come out with their banners. Save it for the real world.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Donari.5237

Look at where this thread is going. That’s why I uttered my wish in my first post in here that this had been done simply as a request for the dye without making it into a tie in to a RL rights movement.

All sorts of threads asking for rainbow or other legendary dyes have gotten mostly positive reactions. Sometimes its better not to trumpet for a cause if you want to advance the cause, y’know? Ask for something that is inclusively fun for all, not something special only to you and your group, and you’ll get tons more support.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

Way to miss the point. Did your highest court also have to tell people that heterosexual marriage should be legal? I’m guessing nope, that has always been legal. Try to think about that distinction for a minute.
_

Precisely. Right now, gay marriage is as legal as heterosexual, so there’s no need to kitten about it anymore, is there?

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

How about leaving politics and agendas out of the game? The odd pop culture reference here and there is fine, but political stuff just takes away from the game. The game should not serve as anyone’s medium to place political bumper stickers, and it would be just awful once it get to the point of “why did this special interest group get something and we don’t?”

Just let Guild Wars to be Guild Wars.

Posted by: aophts.9862

aophts.9862

_

I kind of like the idea. I mean, you already can dye your armour in rainbow colours (more or less, some dye channels are weirdly placed…), but a special shiny dye would be pretty cool. Maybe something that makes your armour shine like the legendary greatwords
They did it with the pink dye in GW1 for breastcancer awareness month, so maybe.

This has nothing to do with the game, wtf?

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

A jewel that gives off some kind of rainbow effect might be a good option – like the Halloween and queen bee ones. I can’t imagine what a rainbow dye would look like, but I think we already can dye our armor into a rainbow.

And why shouldn’t a rainbow dye be expensive or rare? I’d imagine it would be desirable, so it should be up there with celestial, abyss, and whatever other high end dyes are out there.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

Next in gemstore: rainbow wings.

Posted by: Oxidia.8103

Oxidia.8103

How about people stop being special snowflakes and stop pushing their religion/sexual orientation/something else onto other people ingame? If you are gay/lesbian/transgender/atheist/christian/boy/girl what does it matter? Why is it so important to let everyone ingame to know that? Does that improve your gameplay? Or anything ingame related? Isn’t that true purpose of these people shouting it’s their right to be treated equal? So ironic.

You can allways shout your preferences in map chat if you so desperatly want to be different and equal and let everybody know that. See how that goes.

Regenas.6845

People, its just a rainbow dye. Not a whole expansion for gay people.

Posted by: Cheifcaptian Moroni.1629

Cheifcaptian Moroni.1629

You could just craft Bifrost….

Regenas.6845

You could just craft Bifrost….

Same case as with the shortbow.

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

This is what I think of when I see things like this…

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

A rainbow dye sounds awful. A problem is that dyes don’t color all fabrics and armor pieces equally the same, even in the same armor weight. There are lots of times if the armor pieces are from different sets that a dye is one color on one piece and a different color on another piece. In order to match, it’s necessary to use colors that are similar. Imo unless the dye was “paint like” so it isn’t affected by different armor pieces and fabrics it’s not going to match across all pieces.

Maybe a piece of jewelry that has a mild rainbow effect would be prettier as well as avoiding dye problems.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I doubt many people would actually wear rainbow dye. Besides, the rainbow motif has nothing to do with marriage specifically. Does anyone really get married anymore, anyway?