[Request] Report Option for Pet Names

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Since there is a report option for character names, I would like to suggest to add one for pet names as well. Would that be possible?

During my years in GW2, I have come across plenty of offensive, super gross ones on several occasions — from vulgar expressions to kitten SS names, everything has been covered.

I know it would require a far more complicated mechanic than the character names, with tracking pet names etc., but I think it would make a great addition.

Thanks for reading.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

If I remember correctly Anet have previously said that when a player is reported for a name violation they check the character name, pet name and guild name.

If you’re concerned that it might not be obvious what the problem is (e.g. if it’s in a language other than English) you can always take a screenshot and submit a Support ticket so you can explain the problem.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

If I remember correctly Anet have previously said that when a player is reported for a name violation they check the character name, pet name and guild name.

Oh? First time I am hearing about this.

If you’re concerned that it might not be obvious what the problem is (e.g. if it’s in a language other than English) you can always take a screenshot and submit a Support ticket so you can explain the problem.

That would be an additional amount of work I am not willing to undertake, because when I once reported players in that complicated manner (including screenshots and time stamps etc.) on a different matter (namely abuse of the kick function), support didn’t do anything about it (at least that’s what they basically told me in their response).

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

This is absolutely needed. If the name reporting feature includes pets/guild names, that should be made clearer.

Posted by: The Greyhawk.9107

The Greyhawk.9107

Oh? First time I am hearing about this.

That would be an additional amount of work I am not willing to undertake, because when I once reported players in that complicated manner (including screenshots and time stamps etc.) on a different matter (namely abuse of the kick function), support didn’t do anything about it (at least that’s what they basically told me in their response).

I like how you can’t be bothered to do a little more work, but you want Arenanet to spend work hours to program this feature into the game for you.

Hate is Fuel.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

I like how you can’t be bothered to do a little more work, but you want Arenanet to spend work hours to program this feature into the game for you.

Why is that? We players do Anet a favour by reporting these names, they don’t want them in their game. Right-clicking on a player name, then report, then select the reason is just enough so people bother doing it. Nobody would report those names if it required filing a support ticket with a screenshot. An Anet employee gets payed for investigating, nobody pays me for filing a ticket, it cannot be compared.

Seriously, thinking about it, it’s really impossible for me to get the logic behind your “argument”. Apply that to any other things and it gets ridiculous quickly. Imagine a company wants consumer feedback and asks its customers to fill out letters and send them via snail-mail. A customer suggests that the company put up an online platform where he can just give feedback without going through the hassle to write a letter and send it per mail. The company tells him that he cannot expect the company to put hours and days of work into developing such a platform for him just because he cannot be bothered to write and send a letter.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Most of the reporting options are for our convenience; it makes little difference to ANet: they run through a set bit of checks on accounts when they receive an in-game report. So if you want to report a guild, pet, or character name, you can use the same option. Would it be better if it was explicit? Maybe, but then someone would find something else that’s missing. Would it be better if it was less specific? (e.g. “Report a name”) Maybe, but that would confuse some people, too.

And it’s always been the case that if you want to include more details in your report, you have to file a ticket. That’s true for this game as well as other situations (e.g my insurance company didn’t have anyone to take my report the other day, so they left it to me to file a manual one.

If you don’t want to do the work, fine, don’t do it the work. But don’t act like ANet is somehow holding you back — even if they agreed that this was important and a priority over all sorts of other changes we ask for, it’s not going to happen today, tomorrow, and probably not even this year.

If it’s important to you, take the time to report it. If it’s not that important to you, then I’m not sure why it matters.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

You don’t have to do it if you don’t want to. I just included it because I know some people are reluctant to use the in-game report option because they’re concerned that the problem won’t be obvious and Anet may dismiss it as a fake/spam report or a mistake or something.

Of course it’s not necessary all the time, but I know of someone who found a player with a name that in English was fine – it was just a nonsense made up word but in another language (Portuguese I believe) it was extremely offensive – as in you could be fired for saying it at work, would never be allowed on TV kind of thing.

They didn’t want to just right click and report because since Portuguese isn’t a supported language it’s a pretty safe bet no one at Anet speaks it and wouldn’t be familiar with swear words and things, so they send in a support ticket so they could explain the problem.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”