Reserve spot for dissconected players.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GrizzlyTank.3145

GrizzlyTank.3145

So just had an incident where the game booted me from a main map and when i reentered i was put in an overflow.
This is incredibly annoying, especially when the disconnection was obviously server side.

Therefore i think it would be appropriate of the game to reserve a spot on that map for a mere 30 seconds – 1 min which should be enough for unfortunate player to reenter without being put in another area than where the rest of your friends or guild is in.

(edited by GrizzlyTank.3145)

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

I like this idea. Other games have it.

Naz ©

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

yes please PLEASE

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Posted by: Avigrus.2871

Avigrus.2871

Agreed – this is so annoying, especially if you’ve been waiting for an event for 1hr+ and you get booted just as the event is starting.

80 Necro (5), 80 Guard (4), 80 Mesmer (3)
80 Ranger (3), 80 Warrior (3), 80 Thief (3)
80 Ele (2), 80 Engi (3), 80 Rev (2)

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

GW1 has it. What happened to “the best of GW1 will be in GW2” from the manifesto? Name 3 of the best of GW1 that’s in GW2.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

GW1 was instanced, so its a different tech.

Also you can most often get back into your instance if you were in a party and hit Join party member in X in the dropdown when you right click their name.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

GW1 has it. What happened to “the best of GW1 will be in GW2” from the manifesto? Name 3 of the best of GW1 that’s in GW2.

GW1 was built around private instances. GW2 is not, so I don’t really see how we can compare that.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Im Mudbone.1437

GW1 was built around private instances. GW2 is not, so I don’t really see how we can compare that.

Uhhhh, what?

lordkrall.7241

Uhhhh, what?

In GW1 every map you were in (not counting the cities/hubs) were created specifically for you and your party. In GW2 every map is created for the whole server.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

GrizzlyTank.3145

GW1 was instanced, so its a different tech.

Also you can most often get back into your instance if you were in a party and hit Join party member in X in the dropdown when you right click their name.

Not in the case of the recent fights where the main get’s filled, preventing people to jump over.

Im Mudbone.1437

Uhhhh, what?

In GW1 every map you were in (not counting the cities/hubs) were created specifically for you and your party. In GW2 every map is created for the whole server.

Sorry if I seem a bit daft, but, I still don’t get what you’re referring to. There is so much more to GW1 than the instanced parts. I STILL PLAY GW1 albeit not nearly as often as I once did.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Home players shoulds always have reserved spots and guesters kicked to overflow to make room.

GrizzlyTank.3145

Home players shoulds always have reserved spots and guesters kicked to overflow to make room.

The issue is not guests the issue is that a small disconnected caused by the server can screw up a 1hour-30 min wait time. Which is why i suggest that people that are all ready on the map receive a short reserved spot on that map in case they lose connection.

lordkrall.7241

Sorry if I seem a bit daft, but, I still don’t get what you’re referring to. There is so much more to GW1 than the instanced parts. I STILL PLAY GW1 albeit not nearly as often as I once did.

The thing being discussed is that it worked in GW1 and thus it should work here as well.
What I am trying to say is that the system is not built in the same way, and thus it won’t work the same way.
When you disconnected from your instance in GW1 you could reconnect to it (within a certain time) simply because it was an instance created specifically for you.

In GW2 the instance is created for every player that currently uses the map, and thus they can’t lock it because of you disconnecting, and thus you can’t just reconnect to the same place in the same way as in GW1.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Im Mudbone.1437

The thing being discussed is that it worked in GW1 and thus it should work here as well.
What I am trying to say is that the system is not built in the same way, and thus it won’t work the same way.
When you disconnected from your instance in GW1 you could reconnect to it (within a certain time) simply because it was an instance created specifically for you.

In GW2 the instance is created for every player that currently uses the map, and thus they can’t lock it because of you disconnecting, and thus you can’t just reconnect to the same place in the same way as in GW1.

I got you now in that you were pertaining to the disconnect/reconnect issue and I must dissagree in that I believe it would be very simple by keeping a placeholder on individuals where they are at for a certain pre-determined amount of time effectively showing this person as still there for that placeholders time limit to allow a reconnection to that spot and it not bumping that person during this time limit.

Posted by: Backward Sass.6791

Backward Sass.6791

There’s an issue with how the game handles event credit when a player crashes. It doesn’t.

Was on a Marionette fight for more than half of it, crashed, got put into an overflow, manged to get back in, and then got no credit for it. Crashes are way more frequent with this update for me. I suspect the zerg aspect of the Marionette fights, but I don’t have any solid evidence to prove it as such.

Posted by: jayvux.4128

jayvux.4128

+11111111111111

GM of Leaders [LEAD]
Server: Darkhaven (fb.com/groups/guildwars2darkhaven)
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheJayvux

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

30 seconds (or less, like 15sec) should be enough. I agree to this post.

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: Shpongle.6025

Shpongle.6025

I agree, +1, the spot should be reserved for 10 minutes.

Are you Shpongled?

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

The issue is not guests the issue is that a small disconnected caused by the server can screw up a 1hour-30 min wait time. Which is why i suggest that people that are all ready on the map receive a short reserved spot on that map in case they lose connection.

I understand, but when you reconnect—a guest should be sent to overflow to allow you to resume.

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

I usually join a party at big events, and if i get disco i can go back to the same instance as my party. A temporary solution of course. There should be something better implemented.

Im Mudbone.1437

I usually join a party at big events, and if i get disco i can go back to the same instance as my party. A temporary solution of course. There should be something better implemented.

That has never worked for me, I’m always in a group for events(guildies) and on the rare occasions that I have DC’d upon reconnection I am always thrown into overflow during large events.

Posted by: fredrikn.7392

fredrikn.7392

This post was the best one EVER!!!

+1

I was with my “guild” the whole day, sanding in hours at the coast to kill the wurms. Couldn’t do anything during the 2 hours (leaving the soon, walk a way from the computer and get back 60 minutes later), more than waiting for the event. The reason was a hard-capped server where my team was. When moving from the server, it was almost impossible to get back with my team.

After spending 2 hours of waiting I got disconnected right before the event started. When I got the Network problem window, I close is and enter game directly (talk about few seconds), and “Tada!” I was in overflow and couldn’t’ join my team.

Please fix this, add a ticket to players, if they are back in game within some seconds, they enter main, or actually the instance they was in before the DC.

ONE MORE THING! IF someone gets DC as I did 1 sec before Teqautl was killed, PLEASE give the rewards and progress for those players that actually did something. I was standing and waiting one hour before the event (this waiting destroys the game). I was at the end, one seconds before he was killed, I got DC, and when I entered directly after, he was dead, and I didn’t got anything at all, but I was there the whole fight and helped the team to kill him.

GrizzlyTank.3145

I understand, but when you reconnect—a guest should be sent to overflow to allow you to resume.

Kicking a guest from the map wouldn’t be the right thing to do since that guest could very much be someones friend who still have not purchased a server transfer yet.

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

GW1 and GW2 share a very similar instancing system (if not the same).
Both create instances for players but with a different capacity. In both games every players who is in an instance is registered thus reserving a slot for disconnects is more a question of how much bandwith and money it will cost to implement it for GW2 as it would require to flag and track potentially more players as it was needed for GW1.

Its not a technical but a cost limitaion. No surprise here.

This won’t end well…