Respawn Rates Astronomically High?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

I consider myself a decent gamer. I’ve always been able to find solutions for problems I’ve had in various games I’ve played.

In this case, at first I was being accosted by too many mobs at the same time. Certain areas in Bloodtide Coast feel like they’re meant for a group instead of a single player going solo. To solve the problem, I got better armor and re-allocated my trait points for better defense. While these areas were still challenging, I found I could at least kill the initial group of mobs that attacked me.

However, as soon as they are killed, they respawn, before I’ve even recovered.

This is especially true at Risewild Hills (Where you have to fight through trolls to get to the elusive sugar pumpkins at the top of a hill) and at Laughing Gull Island. At Risewild Hills, I couldn’t go two steps without the trolls I’d JUST KILLED respawning right on top of me. In the end, I had a little train of about 7 trolls following me as I gathered sugar pumpkins one at a time, because I just got tired of killing them over and over.

To be fair, I do play an elementalist, but I’ve really come up with good strategy that makes me feel as if the class isn’t as squishy as some people say. She’s my first character and I like caster classes, so I’d rather learn to play the class rather than re-roll. However, at this point, I can’t help thinking that playing this particular profession is part of the problem.

Thoughts?

Posted by: Soulwatcher.2604

Soulwatcher.2604

First the sarcastic response!
“What are you talking about the zones are full of people I never have problems finding people for events!”
And now the serious response!
I know exactly what you mean I tried to start a alt the other day and I was quickly over run by dynamic events not scaling well and the zone being a ghost town.

Posted by: Jack of Tears.9458

Jack of Tears.9458

When this happens in a specific area, send a bug report – that is what I was told. They are supposed to be looking into this problem.

I’m sorry I stepped outta yer box, don’ worry, if
ya whine enough they’ll put me right back.

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

There’s a cave in the same area with a Veteran Ooze and, in front of it at the cave entrance, four smaller oozes. Kill the first two, start on the second two and the first two respawn on top of you. Kill the second two and try the first two again and the second two respawn. You’re constantly fighting four oozes. I just walked away from it in the end, still have no idea what’s in that cave.

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Drevin.6534

Drevin.6534

I agree with this too. This is one of the few things I really hate on this otherwise awesome game. I’m generally patient when I try to reach an objective solo. I pick a spot on a side, pull a mob with a ranged attack, kill it, proceed to the next. Unfortunately in GW2 this isn’t possible. By the time you kill a few mobs and advanced a few meters, the ones you’ve killed are right back up. And I’m talking of respawns on an average of 2 minutes. There is no way in some situations to go solo in an area and try to reach your goal (gathering node, skill point, PoI, etc.). And the weirdest thing is that this happens in the game that could allow the longest respawns rates in any MMO on the market, simply because of the fact any mob can be tagged by multiple players. I’ll give the oh so popular WoW example. In that game you had to be on your toes to tag a mob if there were other people around. And yet, the rewpawn rates were higher than in GW2. In GW2 you could easily increase the respawn rates 5 times without a hinder to the game. Maybe this way could be also combated repeated farming a bit (I assume, I don’t do any form of farming on purpose).

As for areas like the pumpkin farm, I saw that for the first time exactly yesterday. And I started doing exactly what the OP was doing. Instead of cleaning the area one by one, I was running around, kiting the mobs, bashing them with my rifle from time to time, then gathering a node, running again, repeat. It feels so weird having to do it this way, instead of a normal, calculated approach.

And for the areas you’re dying to know what’s at the end, it seems the best way right now is just rush in with a speed boost, frantically trying to reach the end before you get killed. And it even works on most occasions, as you end up alive on the other side. And the worse thing though, is the fact that some poor fellow player might be strolling 20 meters behind you, and he ends up on his head with all the mobs that return after they chased you.

Posted by: Kempest.9405

Kempest.9405

yes respawn is very fast, if you clear a path and look back you have a big problem

Kiting will attract respawned mobs too

a cleared zone should be clear for 5-10 mins

Ok now 1 month after release i understand a high respawn timer for all the players, but pls fix it

Posted by: ChaosKirin.1328

ChaosKirin.1328

Oh, cool, I’m glad I’m not the only one. After reading the responses here, I went and sent a bug report about the trolls.

Also, I got a chuckle out of Drevin’s post. It really sucks that the only way to get to those nodes is to kite the mobs until you can get all the pumpkins. But I was not leaving without gathering… It’s the first time I ever saw sugar pumpkins, and I was going to get them!

Posted by: Riles.4568

Riles.4568

The ghost respawn timers in the charr starting area are just way too fast. They have to be under 30 seconds per mob.

Posted by: brickforlife.1364

brickforlife.1364

If you do it right in large mob zones, you can individually lure each mob and then do the veteran last or just one by one. The careful precise planning is really fun for me, and it’s even more fun when 2 other people come and plop down combo fields and we just destroy everything.

Join
[BEAR] www.gw2bear.com
[DATE] www.tyriadating.com

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

@Brickforlife: but there you have it… ‘when 2 other people come’

It’s fun indeed combining skills and such with others, and mos things go down well enough with 2 or 3.
Respawn rate is not a big issue than, at ‘worst’ (or best…) it can be a challenge.

I think the OP, an others, are mostly referring to the respawn rate when no one else is around.
Personally I have been facing the same issues: I can plan smart enough, I’m used to kiting from playing a WoW hunter since Vanilla (for what that’s worth…).
But in the end I simply have no room to kite, or time to work out a plan… simply because the normal mobs respawned so fast I’m floaded anyhow.

I don’t mind fighting the veteran, I am actually looking forward to it :}
But when i can’t clear any room to fight, simply because ‘clearing’ is not happening because of respawn rate, than the fun is diminishing fast.

The mid level zones just aren’t floaded with players all the time.
And no: I don’t think I should be asking for help in /map everytime I encounter a veteran mob r some place full of enemy npc’s…
For events sure, but not for what I consider ‘normal’ solo stuff.

And yes: it all can be solved simply by that respawn rate, the kiting and planning we’ll work out ourselves.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

Posted by: CC Eva.6742

CC Eva.6742

Community Coordinator

Hi everybody.

Please, check this updated thread about the respawn rates, as it is an issue acknowledged by the team. Also, I would ask you to keep the discussion/feedback there as it is easier for the devs to hear your opinions in one specific place.

Thank you very much.