45 min
MF at 131

Many (majority) of karka dropped nothing
11 chunks of crab meat
6 potent blood
5 spiral shell
3 karka shell
2 rares (lvl 80 sword, lvl 80 axe)

Question – does the above seem reasonable for MF level and time spent? Aside from the 2 rare, which can occur anywhere with this MF, I was disappointed with the run. 6 blood and 3 shells in 45 min – given the amount of these items recipies call for one could spend days farming just to make a single item or two.

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

Results from latest attempt to farm karka

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Avatar.1923

game wants you to buy these mats with gem.
farming is for masochists

Posted by: Emtiarbi.3281

Emtiarbi.3281

I though that MF gets bugged after some point

Anredhal Amethyst – Lain Amethyst – Orss Jerre

Posted by: RlyOsim.2497

RlyOsim.2497

hit the cursed shore instead, the loot bags are much much better than farming karka now (imo at least!).

The Ghost of Christmas Past

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

131% of “not very high to begin with” is still not a good drop chance. I’ve seen better results in a similar time frame, and worse, both with and w/out MF. Conclusion: 45 minutes is way too small of a window to be statistically significant given the pre-MF drop rate. If I were designing a study, I’d have to incorporate lengthy play-sessions over weeks to obtain statistically significant results.

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

Question:

Does anyone really know what magic find does, beyond anecdotal evidence?

Follow-up inquire:

Does anyone know for certain that ANet isn’t messing around with what magic-find does every patch?

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

one 45 minute session is not nearly enough data to extrapolate any meaningful results from

Posted by: LJScribes.2015

LJScribes.2015

I believe MF caps at 100% It also only affects monster drops so if it is looted in any other way, chests, loot bags, etc. , it is not affected.

Posted by: madviking.7125

madviking.7125

My own farming last night, MF only ~10%, in one hour yielded:

8 chunks of crab meat
1 vial of potent blood
4 karka shells
15 spiral shells
4 blue lvl 80 items
0 rares

Higher MF didn’t get you that much, aside from a couple of rares, it seems. Small sample size for sure.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

If you want to farm mobs, farming specific ones is not gonna do it. Much better at farmer shelt/pen and then buying those mats from the outpost.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

shelt/pen ??

what is that ?

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

If you want to farm mobs, farming specific ones is not gonna do it. Much better at farmer shelt/pen and then buying those mats from the outpost.

Sure, take this huge world and shoehorn people into a very few zones and fractals. I really don’t get Anet. 80 zones should be the same. Southsun should be just as good as Orr. 80 end of Frostgorge should be as well. Options.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Vol.5241

shelt/pen ??

what is that ?

two event chains in cursed shore that happen back to back on 15/20 minute timers

[Permabanned on Forums]

Vol.5241

Sure, take this huge world and shoehorn people into a very few zones and fractals. I really don’t get Anet. 80 zones should be the same. Southsun should be just as good as Orr. 80 end of Frostgorge should be as well. Options.

I too think they need to make the whole world an option to farm, but as it stands cursed shore is the place to be until they fix it.

I make about 4g/h there

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Awesome.6120

Awesome.6120

shelt/pen ??

what is that ?

This post following your first post in the thread is fairly hilarious.

[SFD] – Maguuma

Posted by: Tiger Ashante.1792

Tiger Ashante.1792

I’ve don’t usually farm, but I’ve been seriously thinking about working on Leg Weap since I’ve basically done everything else.
For the past 6 weeks + I’ve been regularly doing my dailies in Frostgorge Sound as it’s one of my favourite maps.
While waiting for events or Jormag to spawn, I’ve spent anywhere between 15 to 45 minutes farming the Ice Flow every day. Some time I had no MF, but last week or so I’ve used 10% guild banner. In all that time I had 1 Corrupted Loadstone, no rares just mostly junk and some claws. I got my Loadstone a few weeks back and I had no MF on at all when I got it.

I have lost count how many times I’ve defeated Jormag and other dragons, not 1 rare, just blue/green stuff every time. So yea its mind numbing process and considering how expensive loadstones are, I’m not holding my breath for my legendary weapon.

I can understand that legendary weapon components should be rare drops, but omg, not this rare! It’s absolutely ridiculous.

shelt/pen ??

what is that ?

This post following your first post in the thread is fairly hilarious.

dont worry, i m a casual, i grind only for whats not buyable with gold; dungeon armors, fractal relics, laurels.

everything else i can get with 10$ of gems per month and the stuff i loot along the way

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

I too think they need to make the whole world an option to farm, but as it stands cursed shore is the place to be until they fix it.

I make about 4g/h there

/shrug. I’m one of the perma-unluckies. I won’t see 4g/hour anywhere, and it has become too frustrating to try.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

Agreed, mostly just because I can’t stand the oppressiveness of Orr. I hate it there. I much prefer the bright, pristine cold of Frostgorge — plus everything is better with bipedal polar bears. Too bad ori there is so rare. I maybe see one node a day, and many days, I just never see it.

Wish they’d given us one pure level 80 zone in the north because they did such a good job of designing Orr, that it literally sucks my will to live when playing there. Authentic, yes. Enjoyable, no.

(edited by Blacklight.2871)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Yes, it seems reasonable. You are playing GW2 after all and it is similar to my experience. Predictable and profitable farming is something that happens in all the other MMO’s. Remember, GW2 is a different kind of MMO.

Vol.5241

I make about 4g/h there

/shrug. I’m one of the perma-unluckies. I won’t see 4g/hour anywhere, and it has become too frustrating to try.

Roll a guardian with staff/GS, get in a competent party and learn the waves, and you’ll get a ton of loot.

Many people don’t now the most efficient way of farming it.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

actually you’re only allowed to buy that many gems monthly, so the game wants you to sell the mats that you don’t need and buy the ones that you do need.

To answer OP: farming over 30 minutes should be useless because DR kicks in, but yes, getting 2 yellows drop in 45 minutes is a really good drop.

i find with 10$ of gems per month.
and grinding the stuff that you cant buy (dungeon tokens, laurels, fractal relics)
i can pretty much get anything i need, except legendaries.

Mirta.5029

and grinding the stuff that you cant buy (dungeon tokens, laurels, fractal relics)

I’m fine with 0 gems a month and I’m still able to gear all of my characters and get everything that I need O_O

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

actually you’re only allowed to buy that many gems monthly, so the game wants you to sell the mats that you don’t need and buy the ones that you do need.

To answer OP: farming over 30 minutes should be useless because DR kicks in, but yes, getting 2 yellows drop in 45 minutes is a really good drop.

Unfortunately I have to agree with Mirta it is a really good haul I have yet to get a shell since they launched the shores and I very rarely get any rares or exotics unless it was a fluke like getting them from level 5 deer in queensland 1 per month.

DR kicks in alot earlier then 30 mins for some tho so I’m amazed you got anything at all.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

I’m fine with 0 gems a month and I’m still able to gear all of my characters and get everything that I need O_O

everything is possible if you play a lot.
if you tell me you can soak the grind and farm for 250 t6 mats or 250 ectos, well its allright, but i dont like wasting my 15h a week of playtime on “farming”.
to me its boring.

Mirta.5029

everything is possible if you play a lot.
if you tell me you can soak the grind and farm for 250 t6 mats or 250 ectos, well its allright, but i dont like wasting my 15h a week of playtime on “farming”.
to me its boring.

nor do I, I just play it slow and gather money. If I do 1 fractal run a day – 2 G on average right there, if I do 1 dungeon run, around 1 G there, if I level and sell mats – around 5G if I collect a lot. Then after a certain amount of Gs in my bank I buy what I need. I’m mostly just thinking that there’s no rush

Posted by: Pyrotechnic Hell.3209

Pyrotechnic Hell.3209

Southsun Shoals recorded Karka Drops within 1 hour
Results are from date of this post
I used my high dps axe/axe warrier who has never been to southsun before.
Warrier is level 80 in full CoF Flame legion exotic armor, no magic find was used.

94 Karka droped Nothing.
heres the rest in order of drops.

1 = 2 Spiral shells + 63 copper
1 = 1 Vile of Potent Blood
1 = 1 Karka shell + 74 copper
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 2 Spiral shells
1 = 2 Spiral shells
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 Spiral shell
1 = 1 Spiral shell + 62 copper
1 = 1 Spiral shell + 75 copper
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 Spiral shell
1 = 1 unidentified Dye
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat + 68 copper
1 = 2 Spiral shells
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat + 77 copper
1 = 1 chainmale gauntlets (White)
1 = 1 Spiral shells
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 Vile of powerfull Blood
1 = 1 Spiral shells
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 Vile of Potent Blood + 66 copper
1 = 1 Spiral shells
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 Spiral shells
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat + 63 copper
1 = 1 Vile of powerfull Blood
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 2 Spiral shells
1 = 2 Spiral shells
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat + 65 copper
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 2 Spiral shells
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 2 Spiral shells
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 chuck of crab meat
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 1 Karka shell
1 = 2 Spiral shell
1 = 1 Spiral shell
1 = 1 Spiral shell + 82 copper
1 = 1 level 80 (Fine) berserkers Short Bow + 82 copper
1 = 2 Spiral shell
1 = 1 level 77 (Fine) Carrion reinforced gauntlets
collateral damage 2 reef skelk = 0 Nothing.

(edited by Pyrotechnic Hell.3209)

Posted by: Icecat.4528

Icecat.4528

clearly there is something going on here. either the RNG is really screwed up and/or poorly designed (some threads have commented they feel they have perm DR versus others who seem to get all the drops) OR anet has hidden mechanics in place which further determine drops. For example – each karka having a time stamp based on last time it actually dropped something other than garbage with a CD algorithm to control how much the thing drops per given time period. It would be another way for anet to control farming. 14 karka shells versus my 3…

GW2 mods can fuck it up their cock sucking asses – Sieg heil you nazi fuckers

tigirius.9014

clearly there is something going on here. either the RNG is really screwed up and/or poorly designed (some threads have commented they feel they have perm DR versus others who seem to get all the drops) OR anet has hidden mechanics in place which further determine drops. For example – each karka having a time stamp based on last time it actually dropped something other than garbage with a CD algorithm to control how much the thing drops per given time period. It would be another way for anet to control farming. 14 karka shells versus my 3…

The newest comments is that it’s not just perceived but that it’s an Xfiles conspiracy. I think it’s more along the lines of a good business prospect, limit the drops to increase the gem buying with regular intervals. As someone who’s played many an mmo if this game were really managed by gamers for gamers they’d see there’s something wrong immediately and do something other then give up lip service about it, meanwhile keeping the horrible DR code despite the historical evidence on how DR destroys games and does nothing about bots.

I invite them to log into my account and play my toons on the live servers so that they can see exactly what has been happening to me since November in their game.

Edit: I just spent about 36 minutes farming to see what would happen in the shores. I killed close to 100 Karka. About 46 of those didn’t drop a single thing. And from my image I’m posting you can see what tiny insulting loot I get. This isn’t typical btw. I usually never get T6 mats from anything but having to farm heavy bags and I have to use a mf just to get those bags to drop. If we believed this, none of the npc’s have body parts like blood, and none of them carry around their valuables with them or currency to do anything within their respective markets.

24 greys
2 whites
1 green
1 T5 mat
6 shells (first time for everything, the last time I got shells was in the event)
2 T6 bloods

Didn’t bother with the veterans as daily I get nothing from veterans anyway as reported in the other thread where we are reporting this.

Let me just add that I can’t imagine why they added the mechanic to have an extra box drop on the ground for loot btw, why would anyone do this in any normal game where there’s a DR or loot issue. It’s bad enough we are having issues with drops but now we have to look around the bodies of the deceased like a buncha people who lost their contact lenses in the middle of a field, just doesn’t make sense. Have you guys seen the tiny size of those chests?

Attachments:

(edited by tigirius.9014)

Posted by: Nay of the Ether.8913

Nay of the Ether.8913

hit the cursed shore instead, the loot bags are much much better than farming karka now (imo at least!).

That’s all well and good, but if you’re farming karka shells, Orr won’t help you one bit >.>
And I’m not including the fact you can just buy them off the TP. If I wanted to just buy them I wouldn’t be farming at all

http://almunns.wix.com/elitedeathsociety
~Surrender fiend and you will get an easy death
~I could promise you the same…but it would be a lie…

(edited by Nay of the Ether.8913)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Sure it will. Farm CS, get loot, sell loot on TP, buy Karka Shells with the money made.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Miss Pink Floyd.9730

Miss Pink Floyd.9730

South Shore was a lost cause after the event ended, I tried farming there several different times, and it seems like nothing ever drops. I wont go back there unless the monsters are fixed and have a decent drop rate.

Posted by: crawlerxp.1536

crawlerxp.1536

I just tried this today with about the same results. It’s a shame, really. The zone is gorgeous; I love looking at a lot of it. But to play there for anything other than looking at the pretty colors is just…dumb. The events are nearly as interesting as other zones; the mobs are sparse; and they’re just not worth killing. It’s like a wasted zone at this point. In all the time I’ve spent wandering around there doing puzzles, completion, killing karka and testing out events, I haven’t ever seen one single other person there. Such a shame.

tigirius.9014

This just baffles me. AAA titles should not have worthless zones in them. What in the world is happening with the management of this game?? seriously It’s scary!

Posted by: Attila.6348

Attila.6348

A better question is why are you farming in the first place? It won’t make you more competitive, only more “cool”. But even that is subjective. I have a feeling the wrong crowd came to GW2. The more I read topics like these, the more I’m starting to realize it.

Posted by: holotype.1643

holotype.1643

A better question is why are you farming in the first place? It won’t make you more competitive, only more “cool”. But even that is subjective. I have a feeling the wrong crowd came to GW2. The more I read topics like these, the more I’m starting to realize it.

It’s a valid form of gameplay. Some people enjoy it, find it relaxing, predictable,…generates mats, gold, and the occasional rare. I personally find it boring but there’s nothing wrong with the farmers imo

Championing Blackgate since Aug. 25, 2012
[UV]

Posted by: Attila.6348

Attila.6348

It’s a valid form of gameplay. Some people enjoy it, find it relaxing, predictable,…generates mats, gold, and the occasional rare. I personally find it boring but there’s nothing wrong with the farmers imo

Oh don’t get me wrong, I don’t have anything against them either, but why play a game that’s entirely against that? That’s like saying I’m going to play WAR and gank lower levels. Well…good luck with that, being a squirrel and all. GW wants to get rid of all those boring practices (well, considered boring by most) but people constantly ask for them.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I don’t farm karka shells, but I have been farming passion flowers. This is a brutal grind, however. I wish the drop rate for passion flowers was a bit more reasonable.

Posted by: sostronk.8167

sostronk.8167

If your using MF to farm, your doing it wrong. IDGAF what anyone says.