Resurrecting downed people gets me killed.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Pixel Seven.5472

Pixel Seven.5472

I have this problem with my mesmer, its a problem on my guardian but I can live through it with him. The problem I seem to be having almost every time I go resurrect a downed player is that the mob’s “aggro” on me and I usually get one shot by everything around me while resurrecting someone.

I also seem to get less rewards by resurrecting downed people than actually dealing damage to monsters during events, which also leads to me being less helpful than I would like to be for new players and people around me. I know this would probably go under the suggestions thread section but I did not want to add this as just a suggestion but a topic to discuss rather. I feel like I should have some sort of shield each time I start resurrecting someone preventing my own death while being helpful to others (this shield wouldn’t be there in dungeons of course for added difficulty).

I would really like to help others but the fact is I don’t want to go resurrect people when I know it gets me killed, resulting in mine and the persons death who I would resurrect. So far this has happened to me roughly about 10 times and now if I see someone downed asking for res I just go: “I would if I wouldn’t die in the process myself.”

Anyone else having this as a problem?

Server: Desolation
Aliases: Nukkavieru, Äpärä, Vahinkolapsi, Nirpp

Posted by: Salt.4621

Salt.4621

Absolutely.

I have died 3 times on my Ranger. All three times have been because I went to ressurect someone. You’d think I’d have learned.

“Your face is funny. All squished and weird.”

Salt.4621

I should have stayed back pressing 1,2 and 3 over and over for 10 minutes to kill the boss! I think I go to ressurect fallen players to break up the horribly boring zergy combat of this game.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

Well, since I played a healer in another game, I’m quite familiar with this kind of situations. I somehow like this kind of kamikazze-resurrecting xD because it adds a bit of a challenge to revive, but I can understand what you mean.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

If he’s still fighting you can help a downed player by killing the enemy he’s fighting. When that enemy dies he will “rally” and stand back up and regain some health. It’s not always enough to stay on his feet but at least you helped. If he’s already down there’s nothing you can do except kill any enemies in the area then revive him.

If you’re part of a large group then it should be easier to revive someone, if no one else is doing it then the others can distract enemies while you revive the fallen. If there is someone better suited to the job then keep the enemies off them while they revive.

It’s nice to be helpful but putting yourself into a position where you know you will die too doesn’t help anyone.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

It really is often better to simply kill the mobs around the person than to actually attempt to rez. As a ranger, I can put my pet in to help grab the aggro, put up a healing circle and attempt to rez someone. Sometimes I have to stop mid rez and back out of it to prevent dying. You can stop rezzing someone, just jump or hit your back keys and it will pull you out of it.

(edited by Rpgtabbycat.5869)

Posted by: Xericor.9103

Xericor.9103

I think a lot of it is common sense tbh. Whatever killed the first player, while he was active and fighting, able to defend himself, will kill you while you crouch down, undefended and attempt to heal…

That being said, a couple of posts above are good advice – its often better to kill the target and rally the downed player.

There is also the option of gearing yourself a little better to help people. I play a support Guardian and part of my gear gives me bonuses while I res people

www.auroraglade.eu – Community Site for Aurora Glade!

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I play a Mesmer and I had that problem too until I got an amazing trait called Medic’s Feedback- (15 points in Inspiration)- as the name suggests it creates a feedback bubble similar to Mirrored Feedback- It makes ressing super fast -like 2-3 seconds.

It makes a huge difference to my life because if you wander into a situation with fields of dead players it is in your interest to get them up as fast as possible before you die.
Also people are very grateful and I feel like a little healing fairy floating around the battle

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

I think a lot of it is common sense tbh.

This.
And what poster above me said.

Stop treating this game like there´s a tank holding aggro away from you.
Always be prepared for a quick dodge away and getting rid of the nearest cluster of bogies before kneeling down again.

Polish > hype

Salt.4621

In my instance I was talking about a Boss encounter, going to resurrect a player gets you killed more often than not. I wasn’t talking about general mobs.

Posted by: Oraculum.1832

Oraculum.1832

The fact that it’s not always easy to ress someone makes it fun imo.
It’s all the more satisfying to come rolling in on my guardian just before they die, pop a sanctuary bubble around them, and heal them up while the mobs bounce off the bubble.

Posted by: Pixel Seven.5472

Pixel Seven.5472

Most of you are completely misunderstanding my point. Not talking about boss encounters, dungeons or my guardian. My guardian can take a few dozen hits before even feeling a bit ticklish. This is purely a problem in low level zones or in Orr where I see less experienced players taking on more than they should, I would like to help them and give advice afterwards. Only thing I can do is say sorry for them that I was unable to come to their aid and they then usually call me an kittenbecause of this and it does make me feel like so.

Saying “oh you could spec to…” does not solve the problem because I simply don’t always feel like speccing that way and enjoy various different methods of gameplay. It is simply some parts that make hard to be the “Nice and helpful” guy around when you cant.

I also know people can rally and I am familiar to how that works, its just not simply enough time to kill a monster before the downed player dies most of the time. Also one thing I noticed when I start resurrecting someone, I am locked for ~1-2 seconds on resurrecting so dodging while starting to resurrect is not an option.

I just want to help a fellow player up so they would not have to pay the cost to both travel to nearest waypoint and repair fees that come after few more of similar encounters like so many have done for me in certain situation. It what makes a great community but being unable to do so is kind of hurting it.

Server: Desolation
Aliases: Nukkavieru, Äpärä, Vahinkolapsi, Nirpp

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

I just want to help a fellow player up so they would not have to pay the cost to both travel to nearest waypoint and repair fees that come after few more of similar encounters like so many have done for me in certain situation. It what makes a great community but being unable to do so is kind of hurting it.

It’s a nice idea but you will have to create a character that supports this activity if you want to do it. I’d like to play a toon that flies and shoots fireballs out of my butt but I can’t and I’m probably never going to. You can play a toon that goes around rezzing people if you want to.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

I enjoy the challenge of raising people during combat. So much so that my Ranger took a skill that allows me to drop a trap around me while reviving someone so that monsters will set it off if they try to attack me.

Part of the fun for me is getting to raise that person while putting myself in danger. There are times where I will “break off” of the revive attempt if the damage gets to be too much, but I’m always looking for a way to get back in there and help out.

It’s a balancing act, and like a lot of things in this game, it’s part of what makes it different and fun.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

If you die trying to ressurect someone, then the risk was not worth it.

As a general rule, I only resurrect DOWNED players, and not DEAD players. It’s much faster and I’m not as vulnerable.

Also, if the DOWNED player is fighting, try killing his target. It will rally him and you won’t be vulnerable at all.

Lastly, keep in mind there are traits to help you while you are resurrecting people. I have one on my guardian that auto-casts a bubble whenever I begin to revive someone.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Ten.8421

Ten.8421

Reviving in Orr zones is a pain, because Risen respawn fast, tend to flock into groups, and all the rocks and corals make it hard to judge whether you are in aggro range sometimes.
And of course, there is instant respawn, which can happen about anywhere.
These things can make it feel like you’re being punished for wanting to help sometimes. And it certainly can make you envious of the Guardians’ awesome revive bubble.

Fact is, if you are being attacked, your first priority is to kill the attacker. If people cuss at you for that, they’re being rude and selfish.

I don’t know if you are aware of this, but once a player is defeated, their bar does not go down on its own anymore. That means you can start reviving, break off to kill angry mobs, and then come back and continue… your revive progress has not been lost.

Gamut Gaming Group [GGG], an inclusive non-oppression, non-prejudice, non-normativity group.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

Please no protection on ressurection, if you can just spring back into action without any consequences after being defeated, we can as well play in god-mode (and even a small group of 3 people could pull of perpetual ressurection if you were completely shielded).

Posted by: MikeRocks.9243

MikeRocks.9243

There ARE abilities which protect you while rezzing. You just have to actively select them on your bar/trait for them in order for them to be effective, but they’re there. Things like Mirrored Feedback, Veil of Invisibility, or even things like Mirror Images, which can make clones to distract the baddies while you rez. Illusion of Life is also good for those moments when the baddie does an AoE which kills, like, 7 people immediately around him. It doesn’t straight out rez them, but as long as they can find something small to kill, they can stay alive. Worst case scenario is they just get downed again, but hopefully someplace further from the action where they can heal themselves up at.

For boss fights, if someone straight out dies, usually it’s better just to let the travel to the nearest waypoint rather than rezzing them, since it’ll usually get them back in the fight quicker. Especially for things like the Fire Elemental. If the fight moves away from the area they died in, though, then feel free to resurrect. It’s just usually not a good idea to do it right in the thick of things.

The Long Road
Goal: To have one character of every race, gender, and armor class combination at level 80.
Current progress: Human 4/6 | Charr 1/6 | Norn 1/6 | Sylvari 1/6 | Asura 1/6 | Total: 8/30

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

I actually really like the way it is now. Make it easy and it becomes a pointless mechanic. The way it is now it changes every encounter. and even sometimes location by location in the same encounter.

For example the fire elemental boss in thaumnova reactor. he can one shot alot of people since he drops large rings of fire, and is in a level 16 area. You go downed in his room i will do every thing i can to get you up again. Might make it worse because fiery death might come with me, but ill try. you go downed on the bridge, you are on your own. It is a death trap up there. you die anywhere? Let go and run back.

That is what makes a game fun. That nothing is the same. That i have to learn and try not just stroll over and press a button. And i can even spec into it for a better chance of success. win win.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-