Return of the Ranger Bots

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

The Ranger Bots have re-appeared in force… no longer in Cursed Shore or other well known spots around Tyria.. now they stand idle in Dry Top near to the Prosperity waypoint using their pets to tag events and macro spawn traps .

Cmon Anet when are you going to get a grip with the exploitation of your game mechanics and do something. Oh that’s right we are advised to hit the report buttons and day after day the same players stand there tagging rewards, especially since that little pinch of info about maybe needing geodes for some of the pre-cursor craft steps at Twitchcon

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Botting goes beyond mere mechanical exploits and is downright cheating. Rangers need an uptime nerf and need to have the ability to spread mobs out removed (ranger and other classes too because instead of cleaving or AoEing that group you’re then forced to hit one at a time meaning fewer people get fewer tags) but have some compensating buffs to make up for anti-griefing measures.

Posted by: Kirschsahne.2081

Kirschsahne.2081

You guys have problems………..

Bloodstealer.5978

Lemme guess you like to sit in Dry Top on your ranger a lot….

Posted by: Kronos.2560

Kronos.2560

That doesn’t sound like a bot that sounds like leeching off events to me.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

I remember all the bots in Far Shiverpeaks back in 2012, my report button remained very active then. I could hardly get in a kill with either my elementalist or thief so I’d stay ahead of the pack and preemptively kill trolls and such. I was in the process of making my legendary so I needed the powerful and potent (for conversion) bloods.

Bloodstealer.5978

Of course it’s leeching.. but it’s how they are doing it and over the length of time .. the way they lay their traps down exactly as the cooldown finishes on another it’s automated.. unless of course you like to sit their pressing a skill at the same precise moment for hours on end… nah that’s botting and ANET need to get a grip with this mess now F2P is here and all those extra accounts being set up in order to use for such purposes.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

The Ranger Bots have re-appeared in force… no longer in Cursed Shore or other well known spots around Tyria.. now they stand idle in Dry Top near to the Prosperity waypoint using their pets to tag events and macro spawn traps .

Cmon Anet when are you going to get a grip with the exploitation of your game mechanics and do something. Oh that’s right we are advised to hit the report buttons and day after day the same players stand there tagging rewards, especially since that little pinch of info about maybe needing geodes for some of the pre-cursor craft steps at Twitchcon

This spot isn’t new. People did this when dry top was popular. Then people complained, and anet did come through with the ban hammer.

Now that its not so monitored, they’ve returned

Bloodstealer.5978

This spot isn’t new. People did this when dry top was popular. Then people complained, and anet did come through with the ban hammer.

Yip.. hence the title.
But I have noticed a sudden surge in them.. the map I am on I can count at least a dozen. When watching the twitchcon live event I picked up something about the pre-cursor crafting and a off the cuff example of maybe needing “x” amount of geodes for some parts…maybe others picked up on it and bang.. sudden influx of ranger bots again.

I would like to think ANET will act on them but like other reportable offences they tend to turn the blind eye a lot imo.

Posted by: Blair.3796

Blair.3796

Of course it’s leeching.. but it’s how they are doing it and over the length of time .. the way they lay their traps down exactly as the cooldown finishes on another it’s automated.. unless of course you like to sit their pressing a skill at the same precise moment for hours on end… nah that’s botting and ANET need to get a grip with this mess now F2P is here and all those extra accounts being set up in order to use for such purposes.

There’s reasons for us to dislike it, but that’s not a macro or a hack, that feature is put directly into the game. Just click “enable autoattack” for any skill. Most people only enable autoattack for the 1 skill, but look at literally every skill in the game: the “enable autoattack” prompt is there.

So yes, a ranger camping in SW with the autoattack for his traps turned on would drop them as soon as they went off cooldown. And because unlike the 1 skill for example you don’t need an enemy targeted to use those AoEs, it’s used for AFK farming.

AFK farming is discouraged and violates the code of conduct simply because if you are logged into the game, you have to be actively playing the game. But beyond that things get murky. For example, leaving my ranger standing in a map for a minute while I get up to use the restroom violates the code of conduct, but autoattack trap farming while I sort my inventory and play in the wardrobe does not.

If you play guardian and have that trait that inflicts burning when you block, and aegis generates automatically, then should you get penalized if a centaur shoots an arrow at you, takes damage and dies while you stand up to get a cup of water?

Be good, be ethical, play normally, and report hackers. Use judgement with things like rangers because many of these so-called “macros” are actually built into the game. Report obviously AFK farmers, but don’t penalize people for making use of a built-in game mechanic.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

The other problem is, you can’t raise the participation requirement, because it will hurt other playstyles.

I can run up to one mob in an event, and as long as I kill it and get credit before it ends, I get the reward. This threshold is kept low so the people not in full damage gear get credit. We could raise it, but it wouldn’t be fair.

People in support healing gear most likely aren’t going to be doing damage a lot, so they may not get credit. One solution to this could be to make healing contribute more towards earning the reward. But most characters have aoe heals too.

The people who stack nothing but tanking stats would get hurt the most, not dealing enough damage. You could argue that taking more damage can contribute, but anyone can take a lot of damage.

Kirschsahne.2081

I don’t even know what they are talking about.
Yes i have a ranger but i refuse to go Dry Top or Silver Wastes.

If the spot is where i think it is standing around is doing nothing since there is just the event with the kites.

Bloodstealer.5978

There’s reasons for us to dislike it, but that’s not a macro or a hack, that feature is put directly into the game. Just click “enable autoattack” for any skill. Most people only enable autoattack for the 1 skill, but look at literally every skill in the game: the “enable autoattack” prompt is there.

So yes, a ranger camping in SW with the autoattack for his traps turned on would drop them as soon as they went off cooldown. And because unlike the 1 skill for example you don’t need an enemy targeted to use those AoEs, it’s used for AFK farming.

AFK farming is discouraged and violates the code of conduct simply because if you are logged into the game, you have to be actively playing the game. But beyond that things get murky. For example, leaving my ranger standing in a map for a minute while I get up to use the restroom violates the code of conduct, but autoattack trap farming while I sort my inventory and play in the wardrobe does not.

If you play guardian and have that trait that inflicts burning when you block, and aegis generates automatically, then should you get penalized if a centaur shoots an arrow at you, takes damage and dies while you stand up to get a cup of water?

Be good, be ethical, play normally, and report hackers. Use judgement with things like rangers because many of these so-called “macros” are actually built into the game. Report obviously AFK farmers, but don’t penalize people for making use of a built-in game mechanic.

OFC there is auto attack and yes AFK farming is also reportable.. AFK farming is botting just like using a third party program to macro automate what they do.. they use in game mechanics and therefore exploit it.. that is what a bot is doing whether its a haxed programmed bot or a real person AFK farming… both are considered botting and both are reportable and bannable.
Not really sure what there is to defend here – If your using auto attacks then your likely going to be doing something else with it.. like moving around, healing etc etc.. these are well known bot farming spots that have all of a sudden become popular again and needs ANET to intervene again to discourage it.

Bloodstealer.5978

If the spot is where i think it is standing around is doing nothing since there is just the event with the kites.

The kites event that respawns like evey 10mins ish then there are countless trash mobs .. oh and the sandstorm events, which are the main reason.. like Haze spawns twice and Twister. These are the real prizes that the farming bots/afk farmers are after as they provide them with a nice daily income of geodes as well as the possibility of lodestones and we all know we would all like to get lodestones as easy as possible without buying them.

But rewards aside.. if the map becomes full of these bots/farmers again then other players can’t get into the higher tier maps or maps struggle to get to higher tiers in the first place.

(edited by Bloodstealer.5978)

Blair.3796

OFC there is auto attack and yes AFK farming is also reportable.. AFK farming is botting just like using a third party program to macro automate what they do.. they use in game mechanics and therefore exploit it.. that is what a bot is doing whether its a haxed programmed bot or a real person AFK farming… both are considered botting and both are reportable and bannable.
Not really sure what there is to defend here – If your using auto attacks then your likely going to be doing something else with it.. like moving around, healing etc etc.. these are well known bot farming spots that have all of a sudden become popular again and needs ANET to intervene again to discourage it.

I know, and I’m not defending AFK farmers, I just think it’s silly that there’s an in-game mechanic that we can potentially be penalized for using. The same argument: if he’s using AA to farm mobs but is actively online messing with dyes and managing inventory, is he doing anything wrong? Or, to put it the opposite way, why can’t he do something else while managing inventory and such? He’s still online, still actively playing, and most definitely not botting or using macros.

But yeah, Anet does need to refresh crackdown on actual botters and AFK farmers. That stuff’s not cool.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

^^ I’d like to think OP knows this before claiming botting is taking place.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Blair.3796

The OP is correct in that this mechanic is still used for AFK farming, which is still a punishable offense that violates the code of conduct. I was just correcting the OP by noting that this isn’t a macro or a bot, but is actually an available feature in the game.

Bloodstealer.5978

Yes I do, but thanks for the sarcasm.
The auto mechanic is set for a single skill to be automated.. when said player then fires #1 it disables the auto attack on any other skill until that skill is re-enalbed.. the macro is used to keep it being alternated.. unless of course we enjoy standing there for hours pressing CTRL Mouse 2 repeatedly on 2 different skills … other than that the player is AFK farming, which as already stated is in itself botting hence why ANET laid previous actions on players iirc..

Both actions are bannable offences..

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

Botting refers to an automated macro program running, likely third party that runs a series of events such as keys, motions and actions on a loop. You can set it up and walk away and let it do it’s thing, or you can sit there and observe it . Good way to get banned in a heartbeat and easy for admins to detect.

Someone afk farming however is either leaving the computer or just not 100% in game. They could be sitting in the computer chair, watching a movie, and tabbing over to lay traps every few minutes. tab out and not be using any third party programs. So is it bannable to be a dirtbag and afk, leaching events? Also you will be grouped in and accused of being a bot and likely reported anyways.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Citation needed.

I have yet to hear of anyone getting banned nor ever read a Red Post stating this is indeed a bannable/punishable offense.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Kirschsahne.2081

The kites event that respawns like evey 10mins ish then there are countless trash mobs .. oh and the sandstorm events, which are the main reason.. like Haze spawns twice and Twister. These are the real prizes that the farming bots/afk farmers are after as they provide them with a nice daily income of geodes as well as the possibility of lodestones and we all know we would all like to get lodestones as easy as possible without buying them.

But rewards aside.. if the map becomes full of these bots/farmers again then other players can’t get into the higher tier maps or maps struggle to get to higher tiers in the first place.

????

You have to actively walk to the events and play.
This is not boting

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Citation needed.

I have yet to hear of anyone getting banned nor ever read a Red Post stating this is indeed a bannable/punishable offense.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/

From the GUILD WARS 2 USER AGREEMENT :-
8 (d) Use, or provide others with, any “hack,” “cheat,” “exploit” or “mod”;

Doubtful your going to find a direct link saying ‘afk’, more a sort of broad brush stroke to cover all areas, so an element of common sense is required. In this case the term ‘exploit’ covers it (whether they like it or not—-probably not).

Basically an exploit gives an advantage over someone who is actually at their keyboard, and in the case of afk farming, they are potentially capable of doing more than the average person who sits at their key board, who only to leave it for short duration’s.

It also explains why there is a kick system in place to remove people from the server, whom are afk for extended periods of time.

If they are there and it seems pretty obvious they are afk farming, take a screen shot and send it in to anet, and let the devs take it from there.

(when I say obvious I mean by that they are there a long time, not just a few minutes)

Posted by: Quarktastic.1027

Quarktastic.1027

Botting goes beyond mere mechanical exploits and is downright cheating. Rangers need an uptime nerf and need to have the ability to spread mobs out removed (ranger and other classes too because instead of cleaving or AoEing that group you’re then forced to hit one at a time meaning fewer people get fewer tags) but have some compensating buffs to make up for anti-griefing measures.

Rangers need a what nerf? The ability to spread out mobs?

What am I even reading?

Those armadillos would be a lot cooler if they looked more like real armadillos. mmm armadillos
-BnooMaGoo.5690

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

I don’t want you nurfing my ranger because someone else doesn’t play right. Nerf the landscape if you must. I don’t go anywhere near this Dry Top. But don’t punish me for something someone else did.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

This. Also want to add that AFK farming is also doable in SW, not just Dry Top (not refering to those AFKers who stand at south lane, but AFK farming the forts)

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: punahou.3986

punahou.3986

every class can do this
its not specific to ranger
too bad Logitech, razor, and whoever else company has made products that can loop commands.

you don’t like it move to a diff location or go pvp like the rest of us.

Posted by: Shikigami.4013

Shikigami.4013

Citation needed.

See my post from 9 months ago:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/AFK-Farmers-in-Silverwastes/page/2#post4649758
(In it, you also find a link to your “red post”)

Youtube “L2villagejester”.
People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me
Same for people posting only to tell others not to post (“deal with it”-posts)

(edited by Shikigami.4013)

Bloodstealer.5978

Citation needed.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/AFK-Farmers-in-Silverwastes/page/2#post4649758

Thought I had seen red posts on this before.. I am just too lazy to use the forums godawful search system.

Pretty sure there is also another post as well with a few specific statements included.. I will see if I can muster up the necessary effort to find it/them a bit later.

Bloodstealer.5978

every class can do this
too bad Logitech, razor, and whoever else company has made products that can loop commands.

you don’t like it move to a diff location or go pvp like the rest of us.

Yes every class can do it.. engi’s with turrets being auto spammed by AFK’ers used to be a thing but not so popular because rangers have the added advantage of using their pets to a lot more work for them… more tagging is just more lucrative.

Hopefully ANET will now see this is a growing issue once more and will take actions like previous.

BTW if you don’t like it move to a different forum thread…. see what I did there!

Posted by: Scientia.8924

Scientia.8924

every class can do this

I think the part that the OP didn’t outright say is that rangers have the advantage of AFK farming without needing to run macros.

How do you tell the difference between someone who is legitimately AFK and someone who is AFKing to farm, and when there are no ‘cheats’ to be detected?

What if HoT turns out to be the Mordrem Invasion event, x100?

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

every class can do this

I think the part that the OP didn’t outright say is that rangers have the advantage of AFK farming without needing to run macros.

How do you tell the difference between someone who is legitimately AFK and someone who is AFKing to farm, and when there are no ‘cheats’ to be detected?

Just report them and let ANet figure it out. It’s trivial for a GM to look at a player’s activity log and see something as blatantly obvious as one skill being spammed for eight hours, no chat activity, and no movement input.

Whether or not ANet actually does something is a different question altogether. I’ve reported people who shamelessly leeched the LS1 LA event like this and I still see them playing today – if there’s any sort of punishment, it’s temporary at best.

Shikigami.4013

We do not need to tell the difference. That is the job of the arenanet employee who gets the botreport.

However, people who go AFK usually try to park their character at a reasonably safe spot. This is just experience and common sense. Whenever a discussion about this arises, people go and make up the weirdest and most extreme examples how of they might just have to leave the PC super-urgently for various scenarios. But in reality, this is the exception, not the rule. People usually do not go AFK because a family member just died, the house is on fire or the police rang the doorbell.

Also, the people these threads are about commonly do not just do this once. They do it regularly, for hours, in many cases for weeks or months, and they just happen to always be at the spots where you continuously get stuff while being AFK and often they put something else than “1” on autocast (often the heal spell).

I have a screenshot of a player whom I reported for leveling up his ranger in exactly that way in the “funhouse” area in Metrica while being AFK all night back in 2012, of course he was NOT banned (sigh) and so I had to report that same player 2 years later for doing exactly the same crap in the silverwastes several times, only difference was that in 2014 he obviously did it for event rewards and not for xp.

If you cannot tell if someone is AFK on purpose to exploitively farm rewards, just do not report him. But in many cases it is honestly really easy to tell.

People using belittling wording like whining/qqing" are not taken seriously by me

Posted by: BenGrech.3912

BenGrech.3912

NO NERFS PLEASE…

Just report the bots.. the whole class doesn’t have to suffer because of bots

Posted by: Schurge.5194

Schurge.5194

Lets nerf a class because cheaters are using it in a way the developers didn’t intend… Yeah, that won’t have any negative unforeseen consequences for legitimate players.

No, I don’t play Ranger nor do I PvE. If you really have a problem with botters pull aggro onto them.

Champion Phantom
We are not friends.

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

I couldn’t believe the ranger bots were back, but I loaded into Dry Top tonight and lo and behold there they were. Tons of them even, just standing there in the same spot placing traps over and over again. I reported maybe 10 of them, and asked the others to do the same but seeing it was some time since we had the “bot invasion” problem last time I think there are a lot of people who just ignore it or don’t know how to.

This needs to be taken care of though, and the faster the better for everyone. Can we get some feedback from Anet on this please?

Attachments:

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Citation needed.

He specifically said

players afk macroing

That can easily mean players who have an auto clicker set up to mash “F” over and over to loot the corpses that pile up. That is, itself, an activity that is observable using dev/Gm tools and indeed bannable/infractable.

There is nothing that states that it is against the rules to go afk with a pet on “Guard Mode” and a trap set to autocast.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Shikigami.4013

He specifically said

players afk macroing

That can easily mean players who have an auto clicker set up to mash “F” over and over to loot the corpses that pile up. That is, itself, an activity that is observable using dev/Gm tools and indeed bannable/infractable.

There is nothing that states that it is against the rules to go afk with a pet on “Guard Mode” and a trap set to autocast.

You are wrong because you took the words he said out of their context.
The context was a message he quoted which was about mainly rangers using their autoheal (=setting up the client to automatically cast heal instead of automatically casting the default attack “1”). He specifically refered to that message, which means that THAT is what he is talking about, and NOT your baseless assumption that this “could also mean people using an auto clicker”.

PS: It seems that regardless of how clear it is that something is “cheating”, there will ALWAYS be people who will keep defending cheating behavior, who will keep nit picking, twisting words, and just not be able to use common sense. It really is sad.
Yes, the rules do NOT explicitly state that “going afk while setting your client up to auto-cast traps” is against the rule. That is because they don’t have to. You cannot set up rules to specifically list every little detailed action that is not allowed. Usually it is covered by broader, more general rules. But you seem not to WANT to believe that this kind of cheating is cheating, and so nothing we write will convince you anyway.
Even if Chris would answer in this thread and state that we are correct and you are not, the next person would come and say “but he only said that autocasting heals is not ok, there is nothing specifcally in the rules that says I may not autocast traps” and everything would start from scratch.

(edited by Shikigami.4013)

Bloodstealer.5978

No one is calling for a nerf.. at least not me.. but it’s more about whether ANET have the desire to do something about those players continuously AFK farming, botting or macro farming whatever we want to call it.

Fact is places like Dry Top and Wasteofsilvers is being abused by them and it needs action not by way of nerfs but by way of bans.. do they have the courage to enforce their own rules or is it a case of “we’re not penalising this abuse of our rules at the moment” like I was advised by a GM recently on another issue… laughable to think this kind of response is given, but it is.

Posted by: darksome.1697

darksome.1697

I’d like to see a response from Anet on this.