Returned but serious disappointment

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: jniel.3581

jniel.3581

I returned after largely having been gone a year or more. I brought two friends with me. I had a guild created for my own use and for a small crew. It used to work great and I could even do things, such as banners, for the public and help everyone out.

From what I gather now with influence having been dismantled for guilds and now needing favor you have no choice but to do PvP at least at first.

Why?

Because first you cant get PVE missions without favor. You cant get favor without PvP or WvW and you CANT accomplish the WvW requirement without beyond uber people or a large group.

In my list of Guild Missions I can run PvP and WvW missions but PvE is grayed out requiring purchase in which part of that purchase is favor.

So basically you have screwed over casual PVE players, entirely. Thanks.

Why would you make it so PvE is excluded from guild missions? Seriously. A good percentage of your population, perhaps the majority, are PvE players yet you have FORCED us to have to play PvP.

Not that this matters much but while I was a bit eager to purchase thrones I will now absolutely not purchase it and frankly will likely die off on my play of the game yet again in “favor” of games that are more casual player friendly vs obvious favoritism of PvP game play. It was one major reason I quit WoW a decade ago.

Thanks, ya…

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This article may be helpful: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guild_mission#Preference

Good luck.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

^

Set your guild preferences to PvE.

Guild Mission Preference may be viewed or changed prior to mission reset time by a guild member with the “Mission Control” privilege by clicking the white cog near the top-center of the missions tab of your guild panel. It is fixed for the entire week. All guilds with the same preference receive the same mission opportunities. There are four possible preferences:

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Our tiny Guild (3-5 players) has never done a single pvp or wvw guild mission ever. We now have a lvl 34 Guild Hall, so it is absolutely possible to continue to progress your Guild
without pvp missions. I can’t remember how, but I suspect it was by following the advice in one of the above posts.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

It’s set by default to follow the weekly rotation of guild missions, some weeks are pve, some pvp, some wvw. But like mentioned above you can set preference to anyone of those and you’ll ONLY get that as a choice. So easiest one is pve, you’ll get trek, bounty, race. For race you can piggy back on other bigger guilds which makes it much easier specialy once you level up the guild and get medium and hard missions unlocked. Also with the recent change just doing 1 trek location for example will give you a weekly reward (gold items, silver, and guild commendation) So it’s really worth setting it to pve just to get faster rewards. Also when it becomes time to get a guild hall, Feel free to ask in map, there are some nice players out there that will join and help get the guild hall.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

One point to be clear on so you don’t get frustrated: Once you set the preference, it doesn’t kick in until the next weekly reset which will be on a Monday. So set it today or you’ll be stuck another week.

Posted by: jniel.3581

jniel.3581

Thank you!

Odd. I asked this in several maps with no answer. Spent 40 minutes googling with no answer. Yes, it shows but also yes, and thank you for clarification, its 7+ hours to change. There was no clear direction I saw in game indicating how to do this.

I would strongly suggest it not default to this and frankly to make it more obvious or perhaps even better. Simply make it so you do not have to chose as it was before this change and all modes available.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If it doesn’t default to ‘All Modes’, what do you suggest it default to? There are 3 different game modes, so catering to one will likely displease the other two.

In the future, the Wiki (link above, or accessed in-game via typing /Wiki [topic of choice] in chat) is a great source for all things Guild Wars 2.

Good luck.

Posted by: fluffdragon.1523

fluffdragon.1523

Signing in just to post this:

The takeaway from this thread should be: a critical function of Guilds, like many recent changes, was not adequately communicated or made readily apparent.

That is a serious design flaw.

In the future, the Wiki (link above, or accessed in-game via typing /Wiki [topic of choice] in chat) is a great source for all things Guild Wars 2.

The wiki shouldn’t be used as the help-text removed from the game; it should provide detailed information and minutiae of Guild Wars 2, its lore, and various aspects of the game. There really does need to be better clarity within the game’s UI and various windows to adequately describe what can and cannot be done. Players should not be expected to sift through the wiki or google to find answers to very simple questions.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Signing in just to post this:

The takeaway from this thread should be: a critical function of Guilds, like many recent changes, was not adequately communicated or made readily apparent.

That is a serious design flaw.

The wiki shouldn’t be used as the help-text removed from the game; it should provide detailed information and minutiae of Guild Wars 2, its lore, and various aspects of the game. There really does need to be better clarity within the game’s UI and various windows to adequately describe what can and cannot be done. Players should not be expected to sift through the wiki or google to find answers to very simple questions.

I agree with this. This sort of thing needs to be more straightforward.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

You may want it to be, or feel it needs to be, but now, and probably for the foreseeable future, the Wiki provides the information.

The more players that know how to access the Wiki, the better informed the playerbase.

Posted by: TorsoReaper.8530

TorsoReaper.8530

So basically you have screwed over casual PVE players, entirely. Thanks…

If your expectation is that a small group of casuals will be able to fully upgrade a guild hall, you are greatly mistaken. I also am coming back from a long break and I remember guild halls right before I left. I was part of a small guild and the guild hall task was just too great. You should just join a large and established guild and you’ll have a lot more fun. Here are my suggestions:

1) Try out fractals, they are greatly improved
2) I know you don’t like pvp but just play some anyways because you can earn ascended gear stupid fast if you play ranked (I needed 3 more ascendeds and got them in only 6 hours!)
3) Check out the new mastery system and think about building a legendary with your friends. It’s mostly a bunch of treasure hunts which can be kind of fun

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I don’t mean to be negative here but I absolutely hate when people complain about something that isn’t clearly explained when it actually was. The information about guild missions was posted on the news when they made this change

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-mission-changes-and-improvements/

Also, the button for it is pretty standard. If I see a setting button, instinctively I’m just going to click it and see if there’s anything there of interest.

Even searching on Google I was able to find a wealth of information about how missions function.

Even when things are clearly explained with pop ups, people still complain it wasn’t explained.

(edited by Chase.8415)

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

I mostly solo-ed my way to a bank guild level 24..

I had a bank guild before HoT and I spend a lot of time on this game
I found I needed a (time-,mat-,gold-) sink for me to experience my efforts were still worthwhile…

I have 21 lvl 80’s now and 1 "open"slot now camped by a temporary lvl 80 charcater I see as my present PvP character, when I’m done with this season I’ll probably delete him.

I have half a dozen legendaries, 17 or 18 full ascneded armor sets and most of my charcters where I like them.

I geared my last character 2 days ago, it has viper’s ascended armor, viper’s ascended weapons, partial viper’s trinkets rest sinister, 98.6% condi duration and has unlocked 12% of the map.

IMHO I have come to a point ingame I can spend time and mats to a guild hall, BUT I do notice some things are pretty blocked for me as solo investor in my guild.

50 elonian squares? Nope, 300 timegated mats? Nope.

But I do have a private guild hall. I’m presently working on unlocking the monument vendor. I have the patience to achiev this, but I’m in no hurry.

+10% buff would be nice, I’m only at 8%
SO some kegs are my 1st priority when done I’ll try to find the next thing.

I hope to finish the 10% by mid to end of february.

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

So basically you have screwed over casual PVE players, entirely. Thanks…

If your expectation is that a small group of casuals will be able to fully upgrade a guild hall, you are greatly mistaken. I also am coming back from a long break and I remember guild halls right before I left. I was part of a small guild and the guild hall task was just too great. You should just join a large and established guild and you’ll have a lot more fun. Here are my suggestions:

1) Try out fractals, they are greatly improved
2) I know you don’t like pvp but just play some anyways because you can earn ascended gear stupid fast if you play ranked (I needed 3 more ascendeds and got them in only 6 hours!)
3) Check out the new mastery system and think about building a legendary with your friends. It’s mostly a bunch of treasure hunts which can be kind of fun

We are a small guild. Whether or not we are casuals would depend on your definition of casual. None of us regards ourselves as hardcore though. We are at lv62. We could get to 69 without much problem but there is no motivation(arena upgrades are basically being done because it is there not because anyone has ever used it, WvW upgrades are mostly pointless since we aren’t going to be defending keeps for hours on end and the most useful one is the lv1 aura) or undesirable(upgrading the cloth synthesizer will just cause us to get less valuable items from it so why would anyone bother?).