Returning Player

Returning Player

in Players Helping Players

Posted by: Velon.5016

Velon.5016

Hello peeps! I am returning to GW2 after a really long break. ( Stopped playing a couple of months after release)
I did some research but i am really confused so i was hoping you could help.
Here are my questions:

1. Do i need to buy the new expansion in order to play? If not, will i miss anything important or is the lvling experience the same with or w/o the expansion?
2. How is necromancer atm in PvE and PvP?
3. How’s the population doing?
4. Would you recommend to return or should i avoid it?

Thanks for your time~

Returning Player

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

1. You don’t need to buy the expansion to play. You just won’t be able to play the new profession, the new zones or the new living story.

2. Necromancer is fine. It’s much better than it was when you left in fact.

3. Population is fine. Lots of people playing.

4. You have the game. Try it and see for yourself. No one can tell you if you’ll like it or not.

Returning Player

Velon.5016

Good to hear that necro is better now! Will give it a try tonight i guess!

Returning Player

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

FYI, if you see players gliding above you, that’s because they have the expansion.

You should check out the wiki on the following subjects. The trait and skill system was reworked a number of times. Dailies too were significantly altered as were skill points. Monthlies were done away with and now we have a Login Reward. Skill Points have split into Hero Points and Spirit Shards.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Specialization

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Daily
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Login_rewards

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero_point
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Spirit_Shard

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Returning Player

Posted by: Icethorn.6570

Icethorn.6570

Hello peeps! I am returning to GW2 after a really long break. ( Stopped playing a couple of months after release)
Here are my questions:

1. Do i need to buy the new expansion in order to play? If not, will i miss anything important or is the lvling experience the same with or w/o the expansion?

Thanks for your time~

Heart of Thorns Expansion is NOT necessary, but I would highly recommend it.
You get lots of new content as well as the ability to glide which is paramount to exploration.

Currently they are in the processes of releasing Living World Season 3
So if you have not played LW Season 1 and 2 I would definitely consider starting there as it is one long enjoyable story.

Necro is good, actually one of the best classes in game atm. I have one of each and prefer the following in order.

Ranger, Elementalist, Necro, Mesmer

So its in my top 3.

Overall this is what I would do. Buy the expansion. Level your mastery level.
All the way the Ley Line Gliding. Then work on the new content.

Returning Player

Velon.5016

Here are my questions:

Thanks for your time~

You get lots of new content as well as the ability to glide which is paramount to exploration.

So if you have not played LW Season 1 and 2 I would definitely consider starting there as it is one long enjoyable story.

Necro is good, actually one of the best classes in game atm. I have one of each and prefer the following in order.

So its in my top 3.

That was helpful thanks! Your 4 classes are the ones i am trying out atm, but i am really having trouble deciding which one to play/ Which one has the most damage per skill? Trying out necro but it feels slow.

Returning Player

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Here are my questions:

Thanks for your time~

So its in my top 3.

That was helpful thanks! Your 4 classes are the ones i am trying out atm, but i am really having trouble deciding which one to play/ Which one has the most damage per skill? Trying out necro but it feels slow.

Of those 4 elementalist hands down but its not a easy class to play.
I would say ranger is the easiest of the 4 followed by necro then mesmer and hardest elementalist

Returning Player

Velon.5016

For now i am between Ranger and Elementalist. Both look really good!

Returning Player

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Here are my questions:

Thanks for your time~

So its in my top 3.

If you play Necro and consider the expansion, go for the Specialization. I just say greatsword wielding necormancer, with talents based of famous movie serial killers…

Returning Player

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

If you want high damage and fast kills, elementalist is the way to go. They can also do well defensively, but it requires knowing the class well and fully utilizing the skills available. You have bottom-tier base health and armor, limited access to pets, and perhaps the most complex playstyle of any class. It’s a very fun, versatile, and powerful class – but generally not recommended when trying to learn the ropes in the game!

Necro is much more forgiving. They have pets, death shroud, easy access to a significant amount of toughness via traits, and top tier base health. You can afford to make mistakes with this class and still survive easily. Not so much with the elementalist.

If you want high damage with a much more simplistic playstyle, yet don’t mind living on the edge with low health/armor, I recommend thief. It plays fast and the defensive strategy is almost entirely based upon dodging (daredevil) and heals on offense. But you do have to be comfortable with constant movement and fast play or this class won’t survive any better than the elementalist. Stealth is also very useful for bypassing enemies, if that’s more your style (looting chests from under the nose of a champion is always fun!).

As mentioned previously, any pet class is more forgiving. Ranger, necro, mesmer. They’re all easy mode for open world. But they aren’t as high damage as some of the other classes.

Returning Player

Posted by: Icethorn.6570

Icethorn.6570

Returning Player

Posted by: drunkenpilot.9837

drunkenpilot.9837

Bear in mind that some of those builds listed above are using elite specializations which are only available in Heart of Thorns, so if you like one of them you’ll need to invest in the expac.

Welcome back! If you have any questions on new content or just want to chat about the changes you encounter, feel free to message me in-game.

Returning Player

Posted by: Sensei Hoisen.9821

Sensei Hoisen.9821

I was in a similar situation when a group of us just got back into the game last month!

I’d recommend the expansion. The 80 level boost is also really nice.

Good luck, there is a lot to catch up on, so take your time