Returning Player.. Kinda.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Badgermilk.7289

Badgermilk.7289

Hello,

So, I played this game for about 2 months when it was released, I played it a LOT..
Felt that I was somewhat done with most stuff at the time.

Now I reinstalled the game and tried to get back in to it thinking that it would have to had evolved tons since I last played.
Just…
That does not seem to be the case.

I then started reading up on updates and I’m impressed with the amount of those, but almost non of them seem to actually have added lasting content!?

Seriously?
I’m not sure why anyone would want to return when they only seem to add Timed Content, there is so much stuff I will never see now because I wanted to play other games for awhile.

How can anyone think this is a good idea?
What value does this thinking add for returning players?

I’m just stumped, all my intrest completely died when I started reading all the content I missed and would like to play..

How do others think of this approach? I guess it awards players that always sticks around, but this simply cannot be a good idea long term. =(

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Im sort of in the same boat. Played for a couple months after the game came out. Came back a couple days ago, to see whats up, and Sort of ended up thinking the same thing.

Outside of more ascended gear to grind, Im not sure what else has changed.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: Coltz.5617

Coltz.5617

Same here, sadly when i left It was the beginning of 2013. now returning they are saying the same thing for 2014.

But jsut walking around i notice some graphic updates.

- I infract cause I’m passionate about the game-
“ALL IS VAIN”
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/gf-left-me-coz-of-ladderboar/page/6#post3486969

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The game does not live up to your standards/expectations. What have you lost exactly? The market is huge, go out and find something enjoyable that meets your needs.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Not So Secret Jumping Puzzle (Gendarran Fields)
Twilight Arbor Aetherblade Path (Caledon Forest)
Tequatl (Sparkfly Swamp) completely redone
Sanctum Sprint (minigame)
Southsun Survival (minigame)
Kessex Hills (new events, hearts have changed, new daily chest)
WvW (ruins, ranks with specializations, traps, new area for GvG set aside)
PvP (solo queue for tournaments, observation mode and new arenas)
Crafting (six crafting professions now go up to 500)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

Then there’s recurring content that isnt’ there today but is in fact new content that you can experience. Stuff like Dragon Bash, Bazarre of the Four Winds, the Queen’s Gauntlet and SAB.

Even the two dungeons that were available and taken away have returned to the Fractals, as new fractals…along with mistlock instabilities from level 31-50.

Those who say nothing has changed obviously aren’t looking very hard.

Edit: That’s not counting QoL updates of which their were many, including changes to champion bags.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

Then there’s recurring content that isnt’ there today but is in fact new content that you can experience. Stuff like Dragon Bash, Bazarre of the Four Winds, the Queen’s Gauntlet and SAB.

Even the two dungeons that were available and taken away have returned to the Fractals, as new fractals…along with mistlock instabilities from level 31-50.

Edit: That’s not counting QoL updates of which their were many, including changes to champion bags.

Thank you. this is much more helpful then the previous if you dont like it go away post. Now I have some things to go check out.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Vayne.8563

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

Thank you. this is much more helpful then the previous if you dont like it go away post. Now I have some things to go check out.

You’re welcome.

For Tequatl, you’ll have to join a special guild…try ttsgamers.com. They organize Tequatl raids several times a day and usually succeed. The loot is pretty good.

People tend to run champion trains for champion bags in Queensdale and Frostgorge. Frostgorge is more profitable, but there’s no karma gain from it.

The TA dungeon is longer and harder than most and has a whole set of achievements that go with it.

The new fractal stuff is fun if you like dungeons.

But the real fun, for me anyway, is the stuff that comes with the living story.

You can still finish the tower scene in Kessex Hills (even though you missed most of the arc). And of course Wintersday is going on, if you like those sorts of events (not my cup of tea but some people love it).

Yargesh.4965

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

I did not say go away, I said you tried it and found it wanting. Why would you want to suffer, unless you get a kick out of suffering.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

And that is exactly the problem…. Almost a year and a half and the number of things that have changed in this game can be counted on your hands. Plus even if you put all those mini games together you’d have a total of about 4 people who cared and still play them.

Additionally none of those changes are very significant. They are all slight modifications more than complete changes. Aetherblade just replaced content, it didn’t even add it. Teq changed one fight and made it unaccessible to a large part of the player base.

It’s unfortunate that the game is solely catered to players who can play every day for 10 hours a day and not players who want to return and take a break once in a while.

We did get southsun and the PvP and WvW changes were pretty significant, so if you like PvP/WvW OP then I would at least take the time to check those out. However you will need to make sure to transfer to one of the 5-6 active WvW servers since the rest of the servers are dead.

Posted by: Teege.4623

Teege.4623

The above few posts make some good points. If you need to waste some time you could just log on to do dailies which is what a number of people do, while you wait for the new MMOs of 2014 to be released.

“We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2.” -Colin Johanson
Don’t support the Gem Shop, it’s that easy.

Posted by: Casmurro.9046

Casmurro.9046

GW2 lacks pve endgame. People were saying that since the game was launched. We have the same 8 dungeons, the only meaninful content added was the fractals, but the hardcore fractal players got their progress reseted without getting any compensation (unlike what happened to pvp players). The same old bugs in dungeons are still there, the npcs in AC that block your progress, the skips in Arah.

This game needs an expansion and not temporary content, Rift for example got an expansion that added an world that was 3 times bigger than the original, GW2 needs something like that, not minigames, not more achievement check-lists every 2 weeks, we need more meaninful content!.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

I did not say go away, I said you tried it and found it wanting. Why would you want to suffer, unless you get a kick out of suffering.

“The game does not live up to your standards/expectations. What have you lost exactly? The market is huge, go out and find something enjoyable that meets your needs.”
Sure seems like a go away post to me.

Yargesh.4965

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

“The game does not live up to your standards/expectations. What have you lost exactly? The market is huge, go out and find something enjoyable that meets your needs.”
Sure seems like a go away post to me.

Or it is a post that you do not find the game enjoyable and would enjoy something else better?

Posted by: Badgermilk.7289

Badgermilk.7289

The game does not live up to your standards/expectations. What have you lost exactly? The market is huge, go out and find something enjoyable that meets your needs.

This was a really weird response to be honest..
I really enjoyed the game, thats why I feel kinda dissapointed about their approach to content, I now also read that achievments are tied to actual ingame rewards and bonuses.

So I will never be able to catch up if I miss a single timed event.

You are right, this game is probably not for me considering this approach, I will find other games to play.

Thanks for all that gave actual helpful responses. =)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I guess if you’re an achievement chaser then yes you’ll never catch up. That sort of player is always going to be playing catch up if they miss the updates.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Vayne.8563

Let’s see.

Changes that persist.

Moa Racing (Lion’s Arch)
Ascalon Catacombs revamp

And that is exactly the problem…. Almost a year and a half and the number of things that have changed in this game can be counted on your hands. Plus even if you put all those mini games together you’d have a total of about 4 people who cared and still play them.

Additionally none of those changes are very significant. They are all slight modifications more than complete changes. Aetherblade just replaced content, it didn’t even add it. Teq changed one fight and made it unaccessible to a large part of the player base.

It’s unfortunate that the game is solely catered to players who can play every day for 10 hours a day and not players who want to return and take a break once in a while.

We did get southsun and the PvP and WvW changes were pretty significant, so if you like PvP/WvW OP then I would at least take the time to check those out. However you will need to make sure to transfer to one of the 5-6 active WvW servers since the rest of the servers are dead.

The Aetherblade dungeon replaced a path very few people did (not only my own observations but Anet said so) with a path that is much longer and harder, with different mechanics made by a different programming team. You can say it’s not a new dungeon if you want, but you’d be wrong.

The Ascalon Catacombs revamp was pretty extensive too, I don’t know why you’d think it wasn’t.

But the other stuff that’s come in and gone IS content and even if it’s not here this second, it starts up again in two weeks.

You may personally not like that but a lot of people seem to.

What you’re really saying is there’s no content you personally like, and that’s fine. That doesn’t mean there’s no content.

Take the minigames for example. You claim 4 people play them. But every time I enter one, I’m in a full group, so I don’t know where you get that idea from. Maybe you’re just assuming people like the same stuff you like. I can assure you lots of people like the minigames and there have even been posts to this forum with people asking for more minigames.