Returning player, and I am lost

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Manius.5679

Manius.5679

I decided with the PoF expansion to return to the game. I haven’t played in years and I am lost.

I have an 80 Ranger with 100% completion and some ascended gear, and I had enough tomes back in the day from PvP to get an Elementalist and a Guardian to 80. Now with the expansions a boost comes with each, so all 5 of my slots can be filled with 80s. And I did use one on a Revenant, because I think the class is awesome.

Now to the problem, I’ve scoured the forums, to try to figure out how to proceed from here and I am lost. I wanted to main the Revenant, but from what I can tell theyre pretty useless. I could go back to my Ranger, but not exactly sure where to start with him, or I could work on another class. What ever I do I want to start preparing for PoF. I can’t figure out how to unlock the glider, or how to unlock the specializations. There is so much information on the forums and YouTube, that Im left feeling lost, because I don’t know where to begin, especially since a lot of the information is a year old or older.

So as of now, is the Revenant still useless? And if I played a boosted toon, while I intend on 100% completion at some point, where should I start with unlocking the end game content (such as gliders, specializations, and ascended gear).

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

To unlock gliding open your story journal in the hero panel and select the first Heart of Thorns personal story. This will take you to first story in the HoT maps where you can unlock the mastery and earn the mastery points to enable gliding.

To unlock HoT elite specializations you will need enough hero points to do so. There are not enough hero points in core maps to fully unlock the elite specialization, so you will have to either get the rest in HoT maps or you can use proof of heroics from WvW to buy them.

Of course this requires having HoT. I noticed you mentioned you bought PoF but didn’t state if you already own HoT so I thought I would mention that.

Further reading:

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Specialization#Elite_specializations

Revenant is not useless, it’s my 3rd most played profession. It just plays a lot different from other professions. I’d suggest playing through easier maps on it to get used to it and work your way up from there.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Do you own Heart of Thorns? That is necessary to unlock the Gen1 Elite Specializations and Gliding, as well as all other Masteries. Living World Season 3 (purchased if not unlocked by logging in while active, and requires HoT) provides some relatively easy to acquire Ascended gear.

You can use the Wiki to look up acquisition methods for Ascended gear; some of it is obtainable in Core Tyria.

Welcome return, and good luck.

Manius.5679

I bought the two expansions together, so should have access to all content JustTrogdor.7892 and Inculpatus cedo.9234. Thanks for the info, the world even looks different than it did last I played.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

All content, save the Living World Seasons content. Story (and rewards/Achievements) for Season Two and Story (and rewards/Achievements and maps) for Season 3. Living World Seasons are not included in expansion purchases, but can be purchased in-game through the Story Journal and the Gem Store.

Posted by: Elvirais.5472

Elvirais.5472

As a fellow returning player, I had a really hard time with the story missions of the living world season 3.

I liked many of the HoT maps themselves, but the enemies are a step up in difficulty from the main GW2 maps. But you get used to them, just spending some time there helps.

I play Guild Wars for WvWvW – Piken Square !
Marush Ifri, Noreena Gorun, Arsaname, Desra Ele…

Posted by: Thaddeus.4891

Thaddeus.4891

There is no profession that are useless. You can do pretty much any content with any profession. But when you talk about end game like raid, there is composition, build and profession that are better than others. It doesn’t mean that you can’t do the content with any profession, but some group will want to be as efficient as possible. The thing is that what is the most efficient change over time and depend on what content you want to focus on. So unless you want to do raid on a regular basis or make speed run you shouldn’t worry too much about that. Pick the profession you like the most and you will be alright.

Thaddeauz [xQCx]- QC GUILD

Manius.5679

Thaddeus.4891 thanks. I prefer PvP, spent a lot of time there after 80. What are the best classes to pick? Im thinking about using my last slot/boost on a mesmer.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Thaddeus.4891 thanks. I prefer PvP, spent a lot of time there after 80. What are the best classes to pick? Im thinking about using my last slot/boost on a mesmer.

Pretty much any profession has some place or roll in pvp (https://metabattle.com/wiki/Conquest). For Herald, they tend to play a power/buffer style with sword/shield – staff. There is a condi build too, but it’s very different.

NSPride <3

Posted by: Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

Kaltyn of Torbins Deep.2946

1. HoT and Season 3 mobs hit much harder than central Tyria. MUCH harder.
2. Breaking defiance bars is MUCH more important in HoT and Season 3 (and presumably PoF). Learn your CCs – both hard and soft. I can’t stress that enough, learn your CCs and only pop them with the break bar isn’t broken.
3. HoT maps are built around events leading up to a map meta event. Some of the “side” events are soloable, but the maps are built around groups doing the content. Many of the events, and especially the meta, are not soloable.
4. HoT Masteries: Many will probably disagree with me, but this is the order I would work on masteries. Unlock gliding 1 and 2 – gliding and updrafts, respectively. Then unlock Itzel Lore 1 – bouncing mushrooms. My priority after that would be working on Nuhoch Lore 1 and 2 to unlock Nuhoch Wallows. IMO, those are the priority masteries to work on.

Manius.5679

1. HoT and Season 3 mobs hit much harder than central Tyria. MUCH harder.
2. Breaking defiance bars is MUCH more important in HoT and Season 3 (and presumably PoF). Learn your CCs – both hard and soft. I can’t stress that enough, learn your CCs and only pop them with the break bar isn’t broken.
3. HoT maps are built around events leading up to a map meta event. Some of the “side” events are soloable, but the maps are built around groups doing the content. Many of the events, and especially the meta, are not soloable.
4. HoT Masteries: Many will probably disagree with me, but this is the order I would work on masteries. Unlock gliding 1 and 2 – gliding and updrafts, respectively. Then unlock Itzel Lore 1 – bouncing mushrooms. My priority after that would be working on Nuhoch Lore 1 and 2 to unlock Nuhoch Wallows. IMO, those are the priority masteries to work on.

Thanks! I went to the HoT area to get rolling on masteries and I was wondering how everything worked.

Posted by: Odin the exiled.5764

Odin the exiled.5764

Also the experience for the masteries are account wide. So when you do get “stuck” with say your rev, just jump on your ranger and redo Hero Points to get some more xp. If you can join the meta events aswell they give tonnes of xp.

Also once you finish with those HoT masteries Kaltyn mentioned, I’d pop over to tyria and work on the pact masteries til you get auto loot. Gives you more freedom since loot goes straight to bag, even world boss chests. So less hassle looking for loot bags or bodies

Posted by: vicious.5683

vicious.5683

Don’t pick necromancer nor revenant. Those are trash tier in every game mode.

Posted by: Feothyr.6072

Feothyr.6072

Do you play on NA or EU?

Goroth – Necro | Valea – Mesmer
Naneth – Guardian | Brannoc Oakbark – Ranger
Is all that we see or seem just a dream within a dream?

Manius.5679

Don’t pick necromancer nor revenant. Those are trash tier in every game mode.

I had seen that, why is Rev so bad? I’ve been enjoying it in PvE and it seems like it has potential, but when I did PvP with it I got owned. Figured it was just because I was new to the class. What makes Revenant so bad? And Necro used to be top tier what happened?

Manius.5679

Do you play on NA or EU?

I play NA.

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

Also the experience for the masteries are account wide. So when you do get “stuck” with say your rev, just jump on your ranger and redo Hero Points to get some more xp. If you can join the meta events aswell they give tonnes of xp.

Also once you finish with those HoT masteries Kaltyn mentioned, I’d pop over to tyria and work on the pact masteries til you get auto loot. Gives you more freedom since loot goes straight to bag, even world boss chests. So less hassle looking for loot bags or bodies

Yep, for instance, Auric Basin meta event (the vine one) gives tons of XP enough to fufill 3/4 of the bar.

And yeah, auto-loot is awesome. I never worried about loot of world-bosses’ chests after that xD (A note on chests for OP: it only works for “spawned” chests, like those that spawns after a world-boss. Chests already spawned in-world like ones found after vets in mini-dungeons have to be manually opened).

Posted by: shadow.6174

shadow.6174

To OP: if you want to get a grasp about what has changed, take a loot at patch notes or Game updates articles in the Wiki. It’s a extensive reading but just a skimming over it can give you some idea about what happened to the game.

There is also a guide for returning players in Reddit.

Wecome back, by the way! Too bad you play in NA…