Returning player in need of help

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dellingr.5063

Dellingr.5063

Hello, I have recently decided to come back to guild wars 2.
I need help with choosing a class that is good at doing all the map events and soloing in Heart of Thorns. I tried my mesmer and while I wasn’t doing that bad, I wasnt doing that great either. I want to start a new character so I can learn how to play him along the way.
I already have a mesmer, guardian, revenant,necromancer and elementalist. Since I have only like 30g I won’t be able to buy additional character slot and will most likely delete one of the above except for the mesmer cuz eventually I will probably go back.
I am mostly interested in PvE in doing map events, soloing stuff like story of the expansion and one day raids when I feel ready (since I don’t have friends comming back with me or a guild). I dont know plan on fractals yet. So which class would be easier to learn and come back to the game as while I relearn the ropes. I have been absent for over a year and I havent really accomplished much before that either, I don’t have any ascended armor or anything like that.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Out of your current classes, I’d say necromancer. It’s a good class for soloing most anything, due to the high HP and death shroud (which basically gives you a second health bar), so you can survive most situations. You’ll also do enough damage to not take forever to get through fights. Also, minions can be good meat shields. Most importantly, necro is a very, very easy class to learn.

The main drawback to a necro is the mobility isn’t great, but it’s easy enough to get around with what’s available. Also, the Reaper spec (the elite spec for necro) makes playing a necro even better, in my opinion. So, if you opt for a necro, definitely go for getting the elite spec unlocked.

Dellingr.5063

I am not restricted to those 5, I just said that I already have those level to 80 from the previous time I played the game. But I will think about what you said.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

One advantage to NOT deleting characters is keeping their birth date for birthday gifts.

There is no reason you can’t take a level 80 back through core zones and the personal story to help relearn the game. I’m assuming they all haven’t finished the story and world mapping. That also gives the advantage of having all traits and skills unlocked so you can play with different weapons and builds to see what you enjoy. They are all that much closer to advancing their elites as well.

Dellingr.5063

Well I played a bit in the begining of HoT, so I I think I have partially unlocked their elites as for some like my guardian he has almost full map completion in core zones think he is at 84%. And I have finished the personal story of all of em for the core game. I havet not however played the living world season 2 or 3 on any of them.

EDIT: Just entered with my guardian and I got the 3rd and 4th year birthday gifts. So does that mean I actually dont care about birthdays anymore? Because aside from the finisher and the mail carrier or w/e is there anything actually worth it from those packs?

(edited by Dellingr.5063)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The dyes are probably what most players appreciate the most. And there’s the backpack(s).

Who knows what the 5th Birthday will bring; hopefully a new dye gift (and another shot at the backpacks).

Rangers are easy to learn/play, and I believe are welcome in Raids (as Druids, anyway).

Welcome return, and good luck.

Dellingr.5063

Ok I bought a character slot and I think I’ve narrowed down the classes I want to try to warrior and thief. Who is better at soloing and who is better accepted in raids. If possible please give me a build or two for soloing for both characters. Thank you.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

Ok I bought a character slot and I think I’ve narrowed down the classes I want to try to warrior and thief. Who is better at soloing and who is better accepted in raids. If possible please give me a build or two for soloing for both characters. Thank you.

Warrior, by way of Phoenix Strength builds, provides a highly demanded set of group support features. Thief, on the other hand, is a great DPS class, but that’s about it.

So, Warrior, if you want “accepted in raids” to be the deciding factor. On the front of “better at soloing” … probably warrior, though both can do wonderfully at it with the correct build.

Finally, builds? https://metabattle.com/wiki/MetaBattle_Wiki

The fractal and raid builds there are focused exclusively on group support and damage output, the WvW builds are more focused on being able to survive being hit by things.

Take your pick, or migrate gradually between a WvW build and a Fractal build depending on if you are dying too much or not…

Posted by: Robert Williams.4872

Robert Williams.4872

WvW builds in Metabattle aren’t always… good.

And I think you’re skipping over how Thief, as a DPS class, has access to “Heal on Crit damage” (Every other attack with level 80 Berserker exotic). It’s also faster and easier to use on PvE maps than most classes due to mobility AND stealth, and is still Good-Great in raids.

You wouldn’t be the most wanted for in Raids with a thief, but you would be able to pull your weight.

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

And I think you’re skipping over how Thief, as a DPS class, has access to “Heal on Crit damage” (Every other attack with level 80 Berserker exotic). It’s also faster and easier to use on PvE maps than most classes due to mobility AND stealth, and is still Good-Great in raids.

You wouldn’t be the most wanted for in Raids with a thief, but you would be able to pull your weight.

That’s just a self-heal, so yes, it’s convenient in raids, but it’s not the same degree of group support demand that PS Warrior gets.

Posted by: Jenstone.6891

Jenstone.6891

I have all the professions, a few I like, a few I don’t.
If your future holds raids, there are a number of professions that work.
Condi Warrior – Vipers gear works very well sword/torch /longbow
Trail blazer Mesmer- dps can be off the charts
But it took me time to get used to them.

In PVE, I like all of the professions except for Engineer and Rev.
They work but the play style is just not to my liking.
But I have found that I enjoy Necro much more than the other professions.
It took some learning, I have both condi and power necros, which are a slightly different play style.

I worked pretty hard for the gear I have, as well as the gold I have.
Just takes time.

Dellingr.5063

I finally decided on the thief after looking at some videos. Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.

Posted by: Robert Williams.4872

Robert Williams.4872

Obviously, it was the self healing.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

Hello, I have recently decided to come back to guild wars 2.
I need help with choosing a class that is good at doing all the map events and soloing in Heart of Thorns.

Ranger, without a doubt. Versatile, high DPS, long survivability due to the pet tanking, also quite fast on their feet (25% perma-boost with utility skill). Best played Viper’s (high DPS) or Druid (very good healing, also staff skill that makes for an easy escape if you don’t want to fight through a map but only explore).

Also recommendable is Guardian, good self-heal and self-defense (protection, block), excellent mobility, good damage.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Necro Reapers are very tough. Viper stats for lots of condi damage combined with Rise for lots of minions, Suffer to spread any condis on you, and the trait that gives you toughness per minion (can’t remember the name). The Elite minion has one of the best bar breaks.