Returning player, some questions

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Fatalfugus.1780

Fatalfugus.1780

Hey folks. It’s been quite a while since I last opened up my GW2 client, but I’m really thinking about getting back in. Just want to know some stuff about the state of the game first.

So, if I were to start up a new character, would there still be people in the newbie areas to level with? Are there still new people about, or just alts for old players rushing through? And for when I create a new character, which ones would you say is the least played right now? I like to play hipster classes in my MMOs and see where it takes me.

Posted by: kins.3294

kins.3294

You level in EoTM (Edge of The Mist) these days.

For classes…. all are pretty even
Races… Sylvari or Charr are uncommon, but not really.

Posted by: LordDragonHeart.9352

LordDragonHeart.9352

Hey folks. It’s been quite a while since I last opened up my GW2 client, but I’m really thinking about getting back in. Just want to know some stuff about the state of the game first.

Wan’t to know?
-The devs have been pushing their “living world” agenda for a long time now and real updates have stopped.
-They can’t seem to add anything worth while to the game with out removing something that isn’t broken.
-This: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Lets-talk-about-the-new-Gem-conversion/first
-No expansions
-Crafting system got shafted
-Dedicated players get punished for trying to farm for the grindy crafting system
the list goes on.
If you ask me, you’re better off literally anywhere else. Sorry for being a spoilsport.

Fatalfugus.1780

You level in EoTM (Edge of The Mist) these days.

For classes…. all are pretty even
Races… Sylvari or Charr are uncommon, but not really.

Pretty even, eh? So it’s not ruled by warriors and eles any more? I don’t even know what EoTM is! So doing radiant quests and exploration aren’t really big things any more? That’s kinda sad, I had a blast doing it at launch.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

That’s just some people’s opinion. The starter areas are fine, plenty of people around. There are enough new people, as well. It’s best to just jump in-game and play, and form your own opinion. There’s plenty to do, and you can catch up on what’s been released in your absence here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

Welcome return, and happy adventuring! =)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Plenty of people leveling.

Fatalfugus.1780

That’s just some people’s opinion. The starter areas are fine, plenty of people around. There are enough new people, as well. It’s best to just jump in-game and play, and form your own opinion. There’s plenty to do, and you can catch up on what’s been released in your absence here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/

Welcome return, and happy adventuring! =)

Thank you! Nice to see some optimism. I’m really excited to get back in. Starting on launch day, the experience from start to max level is one of my favorite online gaming experiences I’ve ever had. Hope to relive it and more.

Now to just pick a class… I remember Necros and engis especially being on the rare end of the spectrum. This still hold up?

Posted by: Jaric.5679

Jaric.5679

Firstly, I would like to say that there is nothing stopping you logging in and experiencing the changes for yourself. I sincerely hope you find enjoyment in the game as it is, it won’t cost you a thing but time. But those changes are significant.

You remember that experience you had going from start to max level? Well, you’d better forget it, because it’s no longer unique and interesting.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

Here are a few things: Weapons skill no longer unlock with use of a weapon. This interesting, logical (the more you used a weapon, the better you got with it) and fun mechanic that helped distinguish GW2 from other MMOs is simply gone. Instead, they are level gated. I hope you enjoy using that auto attack for the tutorial area, because that’s all you get until level 2. And underwater combat? That was too confusing. Better not let you do that until level 8.
Elite skills are not available until level 30 – which is also when you get your FIRST trait tier unlocked. Master traits unlock at level 60, and grandmaster you have to wait until 80. Everything is level gated, it’s ridiculous. Want to grab that skill point? Better be a high enough level, or you have to come back later. Personal story, one of the BEST parts about this game (until the generic merge at claw island) is unavailable until you reach level 10. And it’s chapter locked, every 10 levels.

They took what was a different and interesting game, decided everybody who was playing was too stupid to play it, so turned it mainstream and boring. I have played since beta, but now struggle to find motivation to log in. There was a large outcry against these changes, which was summarily ignored. Many people have lost respect for Anet, poeple are not as stupid as they claim.

I may sound bitter, but that’s because I am.

Posted by: brokenrabbit.6538

brokenrabbit.6538

Run.

Vayne.8563

Run.

Yep run from the forums. Best way to enjoy the game.

Posted by: KDXX.9520

KDXX.9520

Engies have been given enough time to flesh out their existences. I see a few running around in a group. They’re still a rare, less understood, and highly demanding class; but people are trying them out.

Posted by: madzoran.4802

madzoran.4802

What Jaric is saying is mostly true, But I play game because friends.
Find a guild, and you will never be helpless.
Yes, Engineer is a choice you will engjoy!
But try Sylvari.. more options at skining imo.. Charrs are oversiezed and unapropriate body shapes for most of nice skins…
Fact is, game is very simplifized, but you will find most of upgrades nice rather than lame.
UI took a better way. Personal story and skills are a minus.

Living Story is a end game content.
And EOTM is Edge of The Mist ,, smething like a overflow for waiting players to WvW.. its whole new map, with nice mechanics, but youknow those WvW… its rollercoaster train. In a zerg, you can lvl 10 levels per hour, but no fun.

Hop in, do maps, do events, get a guild, and be happy.

Posted by: Sleepwalker.1398

Sleepwalker.1398

Hi, just letting you know, if you have characters made before April 2014, DO NOT DELETE THEM.
The new trait system is complete BS and you will have to fork out a lot of gold/skill point to just test a build.

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Firstly, I would like to say that there is nothing stopping you logging in and experiencing the changes for yourself. I sincerely hope you find enjoyment in the game as it is, it won’t cost you a thing but time. But those changes are significant.

You remember that experience you had going from start to max level? Well, you’d better forget it, because it’s no longer unique and interesting.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/a-fresh-start-the-new-player-experience-in-guild-wars-2/

Here are a few things: Weapons skill no longer unlock with use of a weapon. This interesting, logical (the more you used a weapon, the better you got with it) and fun mechanic that helped distinguish GW2 from other MMOs is simply gone. Instead, they are level gated. I hope you enjoy using that auto attack for the tutorial area, because that’s all you get until level 2. And underwater combat? That was too confusing. Better not let you do that until level 8.
Elite skills are not available until level 30 – which is also when you get your FIRST trait tier unlocked. Master traits unlock at level 60, and grandmaster you have to wait until 80. Everything is level gated, it’s ridiculous. Want to grab that skill point? Better be a high enough level, or you have to come back later. Personal story, one of the BEST parts about this game (until the generic merge at claw island) is unavailable until you reach level 10. And it’s chapter locked, every 10 levels.

They took what was a different and interesting game, decided everybody who was playing was too stupid to play it, so turned it mainstream and boring. I have played since beta, but now struggle to find motivation to log in. There was a large outcry against these changes, which was summarily ignored. Many people have lost respect for Anet, poeple are not as stupid as they claim.

I may sound bitter, but that’s because I am.

Except a lot of those things don’t apply to accounts that were created before the NPE patch. Like Skill Challenges, and Elites were always Level 30, etc., etc. You may even really like the new rewards for leveling which were non-existent, before.

Truly, best advice is to get in-game and discover what you like and don’t like yourself.
You may dislike some things, and you may like some things very much. Plus, it’s Halloween now, so lots of fun can be had with that! =)

Good luck. If you have questions in-game, feel free to /whisper.

Posted by: pessimist.7294

pessimist.7294

Run while you can, this game is doomed. With every patch they break the game a little bit more and turn this into a unenjoyable mess.

Posted by: joe.7684

joe.7684

Run.

Yep run from the forums. Best way to enjoy the game.

This. You want to talk about toxicity, this forum in particular is full of it. I’m beginning to think ANet made a mistake in the first place ever having an official game forum. Best just to ignore this place and get on with playing the game.

Posted by: AIex.4105

AIex.4105

I would like to return too but…., wvw seems is same thing run run run, pvp is boring and lack of realy competitive play for normal players just makes me meh…. and megaserver are same cra.p, and still cant join my clanmates in tqal or other bosss unless I spam “click to join” like a kitten 20 mins and pray for som1 to disconect….

(edited by AIex.4105)

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

It’s been about 2 years since I played too. The whole “gear grind” thing wore thin for me very quickly. Stat creep made me feel like I was on a treadmill. I felt like I never made any meaningful progress. Plus I was seemingly playing alone in the open world which got stale (for me) quickly.

It’s with some trepidation that I am going to play again for Halloween and see how it goes. I’m not expecting much so I doubt I’ll be disappointed. To the dev’s credit, they did make a few very positive changes in the past.

See you in game.

Posted by: Rage.9723

Rage.9723

Well the development process has slowed down quite a bit. They used to have multiple teams and now only have one. They seem to trying to maximize gem sales while adding only a minimal amount of content.

Vayne.8563

Well the development process has slowed down quite a bit. They used to have multiple teams and now only have one. They seem to trying to maximize gem sales while adding only a minimal amount of content.

Umm, that’s not quite what has been said at all, so unless you have some evidence to this, I’ll call you on it.

What they’ve done is consolidate the living story team, while other teams work on larger background projects.

There isn’t just one team. There’s only one team working on the living story.

Posted by: Rage.9723

Rage.9723

One living story team. Where is the evidence of larger projects? Expansion? Where is your evidence of larger projects?

Inculpatus cedo.9234

The same evidence that there is one team working on the Living Story. The Devs said so.

If you discount the second statement, you must, of course, discount the first. /shrug

Vayne.8563

One living story team. Where is the evidence of larger projects? Expansion? Where is your evidence of larger projects?

Well, I don’t know I’d say people worked on collections, I’d say they worked on redoing the trading post, I’d say they worked on the NPE, I’d say they are working on guild stuff (hence all the guild CDIs).

Anet has directly stated they have projects they’re working on. It’s logical that one one project finishes, another replaces it.

The wardrobe was a project that wasn’t living story. The megaserver was a project that wasn’t living story.

Even Tequatl revamp was a project that was done by another team.

The company hasn’t lost most of it’s 300 plus employees or we’d have heard about it. Colin said 20 people are currently on the Living Story team. That leaves 280 other employees. I’m pretty sure most of them aren’t getting coffee for the 20 working on the LS. I could be wrong though. lol

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Well we know where anet is NOT allocating resource – sPvP and WvW teams..

the sPvP, I’m almost certain has less than 5 ppl working on it. By far one of the biggest a lot of ppl play MMORPGs – for good PvP. And it continues to just be thrown aside by anet. It’s sad to see that GW1 had more diversity in its PvP content at release than freaking GW2 has put out in 2+ years… disappointing is an understatement.

Posted by: Doodakoff.5246

Doodakoff.5246

There needs be a bearded dude screaming “abandon hope all ye who enter” round these parts.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

the sPvP, I’m almost certain has less than 5 ppl working on it. By far one of the biggest a lot of ppl play MMORPGs – for good PvP. And it continues to just be thrown aside by anet. It’s sad to see that GW1 had more diversity in its PvP content at release than freaking GW2 has put out in 2+ years… disappointing is an understatement.

We have data mined maps and the teams themselves talking about working on multiple maps that are not conquest based. I think we’ll have a big pvp release before the next tournament. There will also be GvG CDI.

pessimist.7294

There needs be a bearded dude screaming “abandon hope all ye who enter” round these parts.

Or at least a warning sign “no fun allowed in this game”

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Can’t read 2 threads without meeting one now. Besides some of the foaming at the mouth bearded ones are female.

pessimist.7294

We have data mined maps and the teams themselves talking about working on multiple maps that are not conquest based. I think we’ll have a big pvp release before the next tournament. There will also be GvG CDI.

Just because something got datamined doesnt mean it will find its way into the game.

Posted by: KngGilgamesh.3481

KngGilgamesh.3481

But it has a large probability of being added.