Revenant revives Gw1 Characters

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

It literally just hit me that the Revenant from a Lore perspective may allow me to revive my Guildwars 1 character

how awesome is that

when I first created my Gw2 characters I decided not to use the same names because of the lore etc
I wanted to keep a sense of roleplaying alive by making my Human characters decendants of my Gw1 characters

as a Revenant which is defined as a being brought back from the dead.. I can bring back those characters without actually breaking the lore

to me this is pretty awesome ^^

is anyone else going to be doing the same?

onto a little speculation though..
does Rytlocks class change to Revenant imply that he actually died?
food for thought ^^

Posted by: Vukorep.3081

Vukorep.3081

so my 250 old male ascalonian (prophecies) elementalist with knowledge of over 140 elementalist skills and knowlege of every other professions skills (over 1300 skills known) just casually woke up form the dead…in kryta..as a noble….woman?

with knowledge of only a hand full of revenant skills and now wears heavy armor and uses the power of shiro,the powerfull..monster..that i “killed” twice?

MAKES PERFECT SENSE TO ME!

Oh ima go and push it a step further by creating a new xyz character with Shiro Tagachi for its name so i can make Shiro Tagachi Revenant once hot comes out

Posted by: IEximius.9204

IEximius.9204

No just no, do you realize how far fetched that sounds? It doesn’t even make any sense.
You don’t embody random ancestors of yours, you embody past powers of significant people of lore.

“Revenants can channel the Mists to gain the powers of certain legendary figures of the past”

Legendary.
Figures.
You RPers are so incredibly corny.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

I’m not sure its going to entirely fit with the lore (because of the background choices your race gives you), but its a neat idea RP wise. It’ll depend on if they take any efforts to explain why a load of revenants now exist without going to the mists.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

even though the word originally designates an undead, revenants are not in GW2 lore.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

You talking about giving them a skill that will channel your long dead and dusty skeleton of a main character from GW1 and use their abilities?

I’m hoping I can channel my Assassin and infuse his knowledge and magic into my Thief so he can learn all the ancient Shadow/Deadly Arts/Critical Strikes skillz and etc that were lost in time…

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Syrpharon.7491

Syrpharon.7491

Guys. he’s saying that RP (and lore)wise he can pretend his Revenant is his GW1 character returning from death (or mist) and bringing with him the power of all the legends he faced in the first game.

A neat idea nonetheless. Thanks for suggestion.

Posted by: CrashTestAuto.9108

CrashTestAuto.9108

Perhaps to help make things clearer:

revenant
?r?v(?)n?nt/Submit
noun
noun: revenant; plural noun: revenants
a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead.
“he was three hundred years old, a terrible living revenant”

I had no idea what the word meant until the news about Rytlock returning from the Mists, so perhaps there’s some confusion.

Teratus.2859

I see some confusion here

but yes as Syrpharon said I am talking about Roleplaying my Gw1 character as a Revenant in GW2 without breaking the games Lore..

The Revenant does not exist in the Vanilla game therefore the events of the Personal Story, Vanilla Dungeons and first 2 years of Living World do not apply to the Revenant class
so choices etc made during the character creation really don’t matter
Rytlock being the first Revenant already throws this out there
Also all characters created after Living world season 1 are already behind on the Lore anyway missing out on the entire Scarlet arc
so really Roleplaying a Gw1 character as a Revenant in Gw2 is hardly as damaging to the Lore as people who missed an entire years worth of story

just playing my personal Story missions on a new character in a ruined LA is enough to throw me off tbh

its quite an easy RP concept to make
After watching the events unfold on Tyria, Great Heroes of the past choose to become Revenants.. powerful warriors of the mists who have bound themselves to flesh once more in order to defend Tyria one last time against its most powerful threat

you can argue why our great Gw1 characters would do this.. well
we defeated the Great Destroyer.. champion of Primordus.. we thought that was the end of that..
Primordus still awoke and simply replaced his champion.. well my Gw1 character is coming back to finish the job and put Primordus in the ground perminantly
this works great for me since I had 4 Gw1 toons that were RP as brothers.. two of which died during the battle with the Great Destroyer xD
so this all works for me from a RP perspective
My main was also a Necromancer which only further encourages a idea for his revival in Gw2
if anyone can figure out a way back from the Mists after 250 years it would be a Necromancer

anyway this is just a idea I have for a Lore friendly RP for Revenants that just works imo
I don’t expect anyone else to understand or even care
I just wanted to share it because this is how I love to play MMO’s
and if by chance there are any Gw1 RP players reading it who like this Idea then they can do the same too if they were planning to RP a Revenant

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

my main guild wars 1 character was reincarnated in gw2. because of name reservation that the gw2 beta had.

Teratus.2859

my main guild wars 1 character was reincarnated in gw2. because of name reservation that the gw2 beta had.

Yeah I choose not to use that feature because it made no sense that my character would be 250+ years old with a random story out of nowhere

that’s why I created this little RP thing with the Revenant ^^

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Yeah I choose not to use that feature because it made no sense that my character would be 250+ years old with a random story out of nowhere

that’s why I created this little RP thing with the Revenant ^^

but reincarnation is about being reborn. you die and you are born again on a different body but with the same spirit.

Attachments:

Posted by: Brave Mallyki.1563

Brave Mallyki.1563

Revenants aren’t Zombies or the Living Dead. Any Revenant created after the return of Rytlock are taught by Rytlock the ways of the Revenant.

Vox Invictus [VOX] – Crystal Desert
PvP Rank – 151 – Dragon
WvW Rank – 1,120 – Silver Colonel

Teratus.2859

Revenants aren’t Zombies or the Living Dead. Any Revenant created after the return of Rytlock are taught by Rytlock the ways of the Revenant.

by definition they are but Anet have this spin on Revenant
in fact just the name Revenant could implay the Rytlock actually died in the Mists and returned with this new power
in fact I would go so far as to say Rytlock may have given up his life willingly for this power..
he’s consistantly said he will do anything it takes to succeed.. I would not put it past him to sacrifice his original life for this new one and this new power

until we get a actual answer from Anet through that theory is up in the air right now
it would be pretty awesome if it was true though
to become a Revenant you must die first that would make a lot of sense for the Revenant class to come into the game now considering the Dragon of Death is dead..

the Revenant class alone though breaks the game a bit though
in Gw1 adding new classes to the game was done very well
I know Anet don’t want to write in a new story arc for Revenant players but in all honesty they really should have..
it would have made a lot more sense to have a small story instance in the Mists which would end up with your character being thrown back into the world in the past at the begining of the personal story..
with some minor specific changes exclusive to Revenant players personal stories they could have made this work as a big time paradox concept which would not be too farfetched to understand

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

by definition they are but Anet have this spin on Revenant
in fact just the name Revenant could implay the Rytlock actually died in the Mists and returned with this new power

I don’t think there is any mention anywhere that Rytlock died to become a Revenant. In fact it appears as if he is the same Rytlock we all know, only with some new awesome powers. I think when we see Rytlock again he will explain what happened, or in usual GW2 story he won’t and just say “No time to explain” (see: Caithe)

Teratus.2859

but reincarnation is about being reborn. you die and you are born again on a different body but with the same spirit.

Yeah I know about the reincarnation theory

but it doesn’t work for me personally which is why I never used it
there are many ghosts, undead and other concepts like that in the Gw2 universe but no mention at all of reincarnated heroes
usually in death one goes to the mists
the souls who linger become ghosts or spirits

playing a reincarnation of a Gw1 character is totally fine
it’s very difficult for me personally to work that for myself though..
I found it far easier just to say my current Human characters are decendants
but with my Revenant concept I can bring back my Gw1 character completely

besides a class change which is understandable and possible thanks to Rytlock being proof
there isn’t much to get in the way of me RPing this way
I know some people will say Rytlock is heavy Revenant is heavy.. but that doesn’t matter
the heavy armor in the game is not exactly crazy and Necromancers in Gw1 did wear Metal light armors
if anything its more bizzare that Rytlock went from a hack and slashy stabby stabby class to one that is heavily based around magic and channeling energy