Revenant

Revenant

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

No one on the forums was even close to guessing this class beforehand, if someone can prove me wrong please link.

I posted six months ago:

“I’d like to see a profession that uses spirit magic. I’m no lore nut, so correct if I’m wrong, but Tyria’s oldest form of magic (and the only one not governed by the Bloodstone) is spirit magic, or the type of magic practiced by Ritualists. I’d like to see a heavy armor profession added to the game, but I feel such a profession would be too close to the Guardian if it wore heavy armor.”

Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

No one on the forums was even close to guessing this class beforehand, if someone can prove me wrong please link.

I posted six months ago:

“I’d like to see a profession that uses spirit magic. I’m no lore nut, so correct if I’m wrong, but Tyria’s oldest form of magic (and the only one not governed by the Bloodstone) is spirit magic, or the type of magic practiced by Ritualists. I’d like to see a heavy armor profession added to the game, but I feel such a profession would be too close to the Guardian if it wore heavy armor.”

Yes pretty close. I want to see what people of hated these predictions think about the new class that was revealed.

Revenant

Posted by: Master Of Power.4803

Master Of Power.4803

This class looks amazing. My GW1 main was a dervish and my second was a ritualist. Seeing them combining them is awesome. I just hope the revenant can have The Avatars of the Gods even though they have been silent in Tyria for quite a while.

Revenant

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

This class looks amazing. My GW1 main was a dervish and my second was a ritualist. Seeing them combining them is awesome. I just hope the revenant can have The Avatars of the Gods even though they have been silent in Tyria for quite a while.

Avatars of the Gods, avatars of old heroes… same thing

Revenant

Posted by: Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

Rethmar Stokestrike.1927

ITT: “Ritualist! Dervish! I have never played GW1!”

You’re all clueless. Go read the Wiki.

GS Berzerker Builds: Making Wammo style Warriors cry since 2012.

Revenant

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

I thought we already had Ele’s and Engi’s. Maybe it would’ve been good to explain what makes Revenant so different from these two professions. Because everything they’ve said so far sounds like a theme-swapped Engineer.

It’s not a matter of making something that’s unique to all other classes (because all the classes share mechanics to some degree, just slightly different implementation and flavor), it’s about making a new heavy class that’s unique to other heavy classes; of all the various shared mechanics, kit/attunement swapping is one of the mechanics that heavy classes don’t have at all.

Revenant

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

The theme of the Revenant is obviously based around the Ritualist know matter how you look at it. Like how the Guardian was born from the Monk or Thief from Assassin.

At first, I thought it would be based around Ritualist.

However, I see it more based around Dervish now that I think about it. The difference is, the player uses the power of the mist instead of the gods for their skills and form. If Revenant drops Jalis-turrets, then I would agree that it is based around Ritualist.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Revenant

Posted by: Pandaman.4758

Pandaman.4758

However, I see it more based around Dervish now that I think about it. The difference is, the player uses the power of the mist instead of the gods for their skills and form. If Revenant drops Jalis-turrets, then I would agree that it is based around Ritualist.

Why not both? The “spirit attunment” (for the lack of a better term) mechanic will likely occupy the F1-F4 keys like the elementalist’s attunment does, so if spirit turrets were a Revenant thing they would be deployed from the utility skills much like how Guardian and Ranger spirits are used.

Revenant

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

It seems like it’s the Dervish from GW1 with some Ritualist as well. I spent more than 3000 hours in GW1 so I know what this is.

The Revenant seems to be able to switch between legends in combat and go from physical AoE damage to for example condition AoE damage. Very much like the Dervish. We don’t know much more than that though, Revenant may have more skills from some other class, maybe Ritualist.
Ritualist could make her weapon stronger by enchanting it with magical energies from other worlds and it seems like the Revenant can do the same.

Revenant

Posted by: Carlin Sanders.3587

Carlin Sanders.3587

… does this mean we have to call rytlock ‘shaman brimstone’ now? i mean he’s got the magical know how, he just lacks the robe.

Revenant

Posted by: manmaid.8564

manmaid.8564

I am looking forward to it. Sounds fun in fact. I remember this charming gentleman having a similar idea and even though he was a little hung up on the scythe I am sure he can live without it…..for now….
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Dervish-Profession/first#post3618940

Peace all

Revenant

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This class feels so incredibly redconned just to please all those permanent Ritualist/Dervish beggars finally, its unbelieveable.

Compared to all othe professions its not even a real profession, its just a piece of supernatural powers, which you just receive simply by jumping into a mist hole, what so far has done only Rytlock out of Living Story Reasons and out of a sudden, there should exist with his return now instantly hundreds of thousands of them, which Rytlock magically teached how to become this “Profession” magically in a blink of an eye.

The lore for this profession makes absolutely concept wise 0 sense.
All races making out of a sudden usage of the power of the mists, which in itself is just a special power, that only Necromancers should be able to use, because the Mist is the Realm of the DEAD.
So why should be out of a sudden some wannabe soldiers be able to control powers from the realm of dead, making ancient hero spirits and even demonic spirits like Mallyx their “slaves”, instead of lettign them rest in peace, what they deserve in case of the heroes.
Lorewiese also only the Humans are at all related somehow a bit to these heroes, like King Jalis Ironhammer.
A Charr, Norn, Asursa or especially a Sylvari has absolutely 0 relationship to these ancient heroes, which played only in the history of the humans at all some kind of a role!!!

It will look especially later absolutely ridiculous, when multiple Revenants should fight agaisnt each other and they spam at each other ghostly hereos, to whom none of them is even at all related too at all.

As long as ANet doesn’t describe us in detaisl the lore behind that new class and explains exactly, what kind of skills, talents and expertises one has exactly to learn to become this new profession, which should be simply and easy to understasnd as also comparable with all other professions, without lettign this new professsion look like some kind of special snowflake, which sets itsefl above all others…

unless ANet solves this, this Class will be conceptual junk to me and it will be very unlikely, that I will play it later, unless Revenants will get some kind of gameplay changing Specialization, that will turn this profession right to me.

And I think before release, should this Profession get renamed to Dervish, because thats it, what it already feels lik,e like a gameplay clone of the Dervish, just with heroic and demonic spirits this time, that change your weapon skills, instead of avatar shapeshifts that change your skills, because that was obviously not possible anymore due to human lore connections and making that rather into partwise human racial skills (Avatar of Melandru)

Under the Profession Name Marauder would make this concept more sense.
So I hope this isn’t final until launch of HoT.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Revenant

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

1. Compared to all othe professions its not even a real profession, its just a piece of supernatural powers, which you just receive simply by jumping into a mist hole, what so far has done only Rytlock out of Living Story Reasons and out of a sudden, there should exist with his return now instantly hundreds of thousands of them, which Rytlock magically teached how to become this “Profession” magically in a blink of an eye.

2. All races making out of a sudden usage of the power of the mists, which in itself is just a special power, that only Necromancers should be able to use, because the Mist is the Realm of the DEAD.

3. Under the Profession Name Marauder would make this concept more sense.

4. So I hope this isn’t final until launch of HoT.

1. The Mists is actually the fabric of time and space which holds multiple realities together. It’d be quite safe to assume that time isn’t constant (since Fractals are part of the Mists, and you can travel back hundreds of years more or less instantaneously) – the few months since Rytlock jumped in could quite easily have been years in the Mists. Not only that, what if this profession gets it’s own tutorial area?

2. Obviously depending on the lore, the sudden appearance of those being able to use the power of the Mists – as well as those having no relation to the spirits summoned – could quite easily be attributed to Rytlock traveling and asking these spirits for help.

3. How does Marauder make any sense? A Marauder is someone that is engaged in banditry.

4. They’ve announced it now, so chances are it won’t change.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Revenant

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

I posted six months ago:

What you wrote about back then was a heavy armour ritualist. Seen atleast 100 times on this forums. That is not the revenant. I am talking about the inspiration from old gw legends, not seen before.

Revenant

Posted by: Rivehn.2584

Rivehn.2584

Can’t wait, just sounds so bad kitten haha.

Revenant

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I posted six months ago:

What you wrote about back then was a heavy armour ritualist. Seen atleast 100 times on this forums. That is not the revenant. I am talking about the inspiration from old gw legends, not seen before.

You’re going to have to explain to me the difference between deriving power from spirit of Tsungrai and deriving power from the spirit Jalis, because I’m just not seeing one.

Revenant

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

1) The Underworld as the Realm of the Dead in regard of lore is a big part of the Mist, like all of the human gods have there their own Realm.
Fractals in itself aren’t part of the Lore, they are just a Gameplay Feature, that allows Anet more creative freedom in showing us things in GW2, which actualyl happened in the past of the game’s lore
There is a massive lore gap here, that explains not, what happened to Rytlock there.
What has he made all the time where he was missing there?
Currently this profession simply said has no hand and no feet, which explains how this profession can even exist at all.

However I don’t want to complain here now too much about this faceless wannabe Chronomancer Profession in Soldier Armor that mainly exists only to please the QQ Dervish/Ritualist fanatics that QQ for already 2 years to get them back.
Therefore I don’t know like everyone enough about the Gameplay of them like Skills, Traits, useable Weapons ect.

2) Oh yeah, lets believe in that, that Rytlock just had a talk in the Mists with all kinds of beings in the underworld starting with Mallyx, one of the strongest Demons that we know from the past of tyria over 250 years ago that was one of Abaddon’s Champions basically and the Overlord of the Domain of Anguish, which is somethign only Humans are related too, because no Charr in history had ever to battle against him 250 years ago. Sylvari haven’t existed at that time, Asura lived somewhere in the deep underground and the Norn were also far far away.
So lets believe simply in it, that Rytlock had a talk with Mallyx and convinced him to simply use his powers for which ever reason, because that talk was just so nice /sarcasm

Do you honestly believe in what you have written there? Especially when among them is – Colin clearly said that name – also Mallyx the Unyielding, which is no ancient hero spirit by the way.
He was one of the strongest demons against which just only the humans had to battle and thus only the humen can know of his former existance of him in the past.
Don’t you see, that Anet created here with this announcrement a huge Lore GAP, which needs to be filled with info first by them, before this profession even becomes plausible
?

I would have expected under an announcement of a new profession more, than what they did at Pax like
“Here it is, a new profession, we call it Revenant, it is able to do this and that, cause of Rytlock being the first one going into the Mists and having a talk with some Spirits and Demons”

I would have thought, when they are already so far, that they give us another profession, that they use the PAX then also as a platform to tell us a bit more about their lore also, or at least open up a preparated blogpost or something else on the website, that explains more about the background of this new profession if they simply had not the required time for all that at PAX to go in deeper into details for that new profession.

3) Marauders, that steal powers from others to make usage of them, as if it would be their own powers.
Instead of using powers from the mist, as a Marauder stealing actually the powers of the living would to alterate with them your own performance would be much more interesting.
You could name it eventually also “Reavers”, but I think Marauder sounds better and isn’t so near to “Reaper”.
DA2 had them and they work as some kind of dark themed soldiers all without this supanatural Mist stuff with skilsl ,which alot of playable races would be total unrealted to, which feels also like no profession compared to all others, but rather than a complete own entity, which exists only as it is, due to going into the mist and not due to learning your profession and mastering everythign of it, what is required to learn from skills, talents and expertises, to become that profession as a kind of “job” with that you earn your money and that defines your character.

GW2 also already has enough spiritual theme classes with the Necromancer, the Ranger and the Guardian. No need for a fourth that looks and feels even far more supernatural, than everything else together, like some kind of spiritual super soldier.

4) Anet announced also many other things and reiterated them either before or after its release.
Why should they make a stop at something like the Revenant, when the content isn’t even released yet and we don’t even now an official release date ???

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Revenant

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Snip

1. Yes, the Underworld is part of the Mists, but it doesn’t make up the entirety of the Mists. For example, the Rift – described as a place of perfect balance, where time stands still and is connected to everywhere – which was in the lore even in GW1.

Fractals are also very much part of the lore now that it’s been introduced; lore doesn’t have to stay stagnant, and can get written as the game advances and new things are understood by inhabitants of the world.

Also, about your complaining of not knowing what happened to Rytlock there; remember, they’re releasing more in-depth details about the different parts of the expansion in a few weeks. I’d be very shocked if they didn’t include a lore explanation there. Heck, I wouldn’t be surprised if they made a book out of it.

2. Who said Rytlock started with Mallyx? How do you know Mallyx isn’t co-operating because the Elder Dragons are somehow causing problems in his domain – the enemy of my enemy is my friend sort of deal? Heck, who even said they talked?

And again, while the Charr didn’t fight him, Rytlock could have found him, as he did with other spirits.

See, until we have more details in a few weeks, neither you nor me can say whether this profession makes any sense lorewise. Though I got the feeling even if they did fill out the lore, you’d still say it makes no sense.

3. You’re assuming that Revenant’s don’t need to train in order to summon and handle spirits.

Also, the professions you mentioned; while they have skills to do with spirits, their main theme, isn’t to do with spirits:

• The Ranger theme is nature
  • The Necromancer theme is the dark arts
  • The Guardian theme is faith (not necessarily faith in deities either)
Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Revenant

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

I just want to see a derv type skill where you build up your buffs then expend them, which wipes off the equivalent number of buffs from 5 targets aoe around you..bye bye brainless melee train (people who think will still be able to counter, but it would be pretty awesome in wvw.

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

Revenant

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Screenshots form uncompressed vid. Now im curious if its a new staff, hammer or something new? For me tis looks like a 2h spear.

edit
But when i think about that datamined [&AgGPcgAA] 2 years ago when they started working on a expansion hmm

Also

Rytlock Brimstone is the first Revenant. He is the famous hero of the Charr and during the Living World’s second season, he disappeared into the mists, chasing after an incredibly powerful magical sword. Through his journeys in the mists, he has mastered the power of the mists and he is returning to teach everyone how to be a Revenant. The Revenant effectively is a heavy armor profession that can channel the power of the mists. What that means is that you can channel the power of great legends from Guild Wars history to define the skills that they have available to them. So you can channel the great Dwarf king, King Jalis Ironhammer, and it makes your character much of a front line, tank-y character with abilities to help him survive fighting face-to-face with your enemies. Or you can channel the demon Malik and get the abilities to control the conditions in combat and become much stronger in DPS, supporting your party by removing conditions from them to protect them. Those are the examples of the types of things that a Revenant can do when channeling a legend and each legend that’s going to be available to a Revenant really defines a different play style that’s available for that profession. I think the Revenant is going to be one of the most diverse professions that we’ve ever made in Guild Wars history and it’ll allow for a lot of different, fun, and unique play styles as you master each of the legends.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/87848/guild-wars-2-director-discusses-heart-of-thorns-revenants-guild-halls-and-more

Attachments:

(edited by Scoobaniec.9561)

Revenant

Posted by: Kurohanafuyu.9160

Kurohanafuyu.9160

We know so far, that the spirits change out the 5 utility slots, which follows the trend of the elementalist and engineer to change out the weapon skills.
Since the utilities are gonna change out, it makes little sense to unlock utilities when you change them out anyway.
But what if you don’t unlock ability skills themselves, but rather the spirits unsing skill points? that would be the first class to actually freely customize your F-slots (I don’t count engi as the first class, as the F-skills are tied to the ultilities and therefore are not freely customized). That would be a refreshing new way to play. That way, anet could also include legend from the other races’ lores. Maybe even Kodan or Quaggan legends.
As for the dragon channeling Rytlock did. Many people think it’s Glint. But what if it actually is Zhaitan?

Revenant

Posted by: Kuulpb.5412

Kuulpb.5412

I would like to Post My View of Revenant, it isn’t that long but I’ll give it a go.
1st off, Ritualist is NOT Engineer,
Turrets are NOT spirits, they may act similar, but they are not, and ashes are no where NEAR kits., and engineers don’t have weapon spells.
2nd) I Believe Revenant is Ritulaist/Dervish ( this order) due to I have been able to make a GW1 rit have 80 armour, a melee weapon and 750 health, which cannot be removed, whereas on a dervish the enchantments can, The Blindfold was also the Trademark of the Ritualist ( being blindfolded), and they fought with their eyes closed.
On The Wiki it also States that the weapons Known ( predicited I assume) are Sword ( rytlock) and then Staff and Dagger.
Staff is something Ritualists can use, dervishes don’t typically though, and Daggers can be used in ceremonial reasons, hence the necromancer.
and Ritualist skills are based on Past Heroes, such as in EotN a ritualist Bundle ( not specific to only rit profs it’s a pick-up) is related to Saidra, someone who gave their life to save their allies in Prophecies. This means that since a Dervish uses GODS and Mysticism, it isn’t so much Heroes as it is a Religion-based thing, devoted to the gods.

As a Ritualist You could hold Ashes of someone, and then gain a buff based on you channeling them through their ashes, and dropping them releases their spirit causing an effect such as Generous was Tsungrai, Which gave a health increase, but dropping it heals you.

And This Channeling and Weapon spells is why I believe it is Ritualist/Dervish, alongside Engineers are not Ritualists.

Some days I feel like I can’t go on…. and then I eat Garlic.

Revenant

Posted by: Inimicus.7162

Inimicus.7162

Had to chime in when i saw somebody talking about who Rytlock “met” in the mists… with regards to Mallyx specifically, The Forgotten. You forget, there was a Charr in the realm of torment, all be it just one, but they did carry a presence. The Realm of Torment was a part of the mists, and likely if not the home realm of Abaddon, it was made by the other 5 to be his prison, with the Forgotten as his jailors. The Forgotten having ties to the human’s gods, likely presence in all their realms, likely also some presence still in Tyria proper… Who might Rytlock have met in the mists? The Forgotten.

Also since it was a Forgotten ward that sealed off what everybody are calling Mursaat ruins (no shortage of evidence pointing this way btw), It wouldn’t be a stretch to assume that while the Mursaat may have returned to Tyria, they could be at odds with the Forgotten, as they once were with the Seers. My main question being, will we actually get to lay eyes on them, and if we do… what are they going to look like now that the Krait are nearly identical to the Forgotten NPCs of gw1? xD