Revert back to allowing guilds to be small

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: tim kimball.9053

tim kimball.9053

The game used to be great if you had a small guild. You could still progress, bring banners, gain vault space, etc. Now if you don’t play in a huge guild there is no benefits. This is unfair. It was one of the best parts of the game to be able to gain rep without being part politics. Now guild leaders get benefits, and you join just for chat and events but no real perks. I play with my family and we like to keep it small. Why can’t there be smaller easier quests for guilds that 1,2 or 3 players can complete and gain rep and benefits. Why not make the challenges scaled based on guild sizes so the family element is still viable. My daughter doesn’t need to see all the crap in bigger guilds. Maybe even scale dungeons so groups of 2 to 4 can go thru and still enjoy the content, with maybe a smaller reward and difficulty.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

People have been progressing their personal guilds.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

I agree. I used to be in a small guild of friends-only. We just had 6 regular members who all played other games together and came to GW2 together. When Anet snubbed small guilds, it was one reason many of them left the game.

There should definitely be more encouragement of small guilds.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

It’s not a biggie for me but I do agree that small guilds got somewhat shafted.
Guilds are now just not part of my gameplay and my tiny guild is just frozen in time.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I have had my guild since day 1 of the game and there was just 1 other in it besides myself. Before HOT came we had all bank and vault spaces open and a few other things. We didn’t do missions back then because we didn’t think we could do them.

Fast forward to now and since HOT arrived. Since then we have both started to do missions for points and found there are some we can do. Now there is only just me in the guild and guess what I can still solo some of the guild missions!

Ones I can do:

Bounties – I can solo Poobado and that Skritt with his bear in Harathi. Can be tricky sometimes but you can get lucky if other people are around to help.

Races – You just have to make sure to turn up when the time of the day is busy for your server location. You just need to activate the mission and join in another guild’s race and if they reach the total amount needed – bam it will count for your guild if you talk to the NPC at the end of the race.

Trek – you only need to find 5-6 places in their easy version of this. Perfectly doable if you have the Wiki up and a fast enough computer for the loading screens. Only if you get hit with some of the annoying/tricky JP’s will it be a problem.

So having said all that, it is still perfectly fine to level up small guild halls. You just have to give it a try! Not only that but now I can even earn commendations which I never used to be able to.

Could they make it easier for small guilds? Sure they could I guess but will they? Probably not but good luck with that!

Just a tip: You can start the higher tiers of treks and just complete ONE of the required places and you will get the chest reward for doing so. The same goes for races you just need to complete the race once yourself and you will get your personal reward. However doing these wont count as the mission being complete for the guild points.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

I don’t see how guild versus guild wars are a big thing in the game, even in WvW and don’t see any movement to make it important so what is the point of restricting the ability to get a guild hall? Individual players would dump resources into an individual or small guild just like the big guilds. There is no requirement that only actual guild members get you past the restriction. Where is the value in showing us we can’t do everything by ourselves, when it’s already obvious?

Where is the sense in this restriction?

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t see how guild versus guild wars are a big thing in the game, even in WvW and don’t see any movement to make it important so what is the point of restricting the ability to get a guild hall? Individual players would dump resources into an individual or small guild just like the big guilds. There is no requirement that only actual guild members get you past the restriction. Where is the value in showing us we can’t do everything by ourselves, when it’s already obvious?

Where is the sense in this restriction?

Because Anet doesn’t see a handful of players, or even just a single player, as a guild but rather a party.

Scaling requirements to upgrade the hall, as others have suggested, would just lead to gaming the system.

Tumult.2578

I agree that there should not be scaling of guild challenges.
I suspect most small guilds would be fine with this.
Most players that have seen the old system just want to be able to drop a banner here or there to help out. They are prevented from that by the system.
I don’t see a problem with making a hall attainable by a small guild, even one or two player guilds. We have the ability to be in 4 other big guilds at the same time.

How would that be different than players now gaining a hall and selling it to other players?

(edited by Tumult.2578)

Ayrilana.1396

I agree that there should not be scaling of guild challenges.
I suspect most small guilds would be fine with this.
Most players that have seen the old system just want to be able to drop a banner here or there to help out. They are prevented from that by the system.
I don’t see a problem with making a hall attainable by a small guild, even one or two player guilds. We have the ability to be in 4 other big guilds at the same time.

How would that be different than players now gaining a hall and selling it to other players?

I was referring specifically to upgrades but yeah.

Guild halls can be claimed with a party of players. I’ve seen it done solo before too although I personally wouldn’t spend the time attempting that. There’s also the LFG which will bring you players who are willing to help whether it be because they never got to experience claiming their guild(s) or just wanted to because.

Tumult.2578

Taking a look at the forums tells me there are a lot of solo players, or as solo as can be possible. I suspect they want to do it solo. I’m pretty sure most of them understand that help is available but they would rather achieve it themselves.

My main concern is what will happen with guild storage under the old system when the next expansion or a major update hits? It gets harder to add stuff and still make everything work and I suspect creating a “one type fits all” guild hall and storage approach would be, should be, on the horizon..

Ayrilana.1396

Taking a look at the forums tells me there are a lot of solo players, or as solo as can be possible. I suspect they want to do it solo. I’m pretty sure most of them understand that help is available but they would rather achieve it themselves.

My main concern is what will happen with guild storage under the old system when the next expansion or a major update hits? It gets harder to add stuff and still make everything work and I suspect creating a “one type fits all” guild hall and storage approach would be, should be, on the horizon..

What do you mean by guild storage?

Those who had everything unlocked before the expansion were grandfathered in so they had those storage upgrades unlocked once the expansion hit. I don’t see Anet resetting this with each expansion. What we could see them doing is adding more storage slots but that would just come down to more materials and guild currencies.

Tumult.2578

What do you mean by guild storage?

Those who had everything unlocked before the expansion were grandfathered in so they had those storage upgrades unlocked once the expansion hit. I don’t see Anet resetting this with each expansion. What we could see them doing is adding more storage slots but that would just come down to more materials and guild currencies.

Yes, but it’s an old system and they are already having issues with getting new ideas to work in the old system. It just makes sense to me that they would want to simplify it all and they could by just making the obtaining a guild hall more realistically soloable.
Then they could drop all of that old storage system and make some of the changes guilds have been asking for without the added difficulty. I hope your right and it won’t be an issue at all.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Missions and the number of people needed to complete them …

bounty – easy: 1
trek – easy: 1
trek – medium: 2
trek – hard: 4

race: varies but it can also be done together with other guilds

challenges
blightwater shattershrike: 3
branded for termination: 3
deep trouble: 5

puzzles
angvar’s trove: 6
langmar estate: 6

The maximum is 6 for these. I don’t see how that is all that crazy. Couple of the WvW and PvP ones are also doable with 3.

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

Yeah, but lots of us have not bothered to get a guild hall, because it needs outside help and when you get it the size is crazy-big for just a handful of people.

I’d love a guild shed but it ain’t gonna happen so guilds are not really a thing for me. /shrug

Ayrilana.1396

I think you meant minimum, not maximum.

Khisanth.2948

Me? I mean you need a maximum of 6 people around to do all of those. In some cases you need fewer.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Guilds are “allowed” to be small. There’s nothing that prevents a solo guild from building up a guild hall — many people have done so. I’m sure those numbers are a far cry from those who had ‘maxed’ guilds before HoT, because back then, you could buy all the upgrades, with coin.

It’s also naive to think that just because a guild has more people that it’s easier to upgrade. In any organization of volunteers, it’s typical to see a tiny fraction do most of the work and a huge fraction who do little (or even nothing). So sure, in a 100-person guild, it’s probably easier to find 5 people willing to donate something, but often, it’s still going to be the same 5 people offering up their time, mats, & currencies.

While I think it would have been better if ANet had front-loaded some of the old features (i.e. make them easier to obtain sooner), I think it’s good for the health of the game that an MMO encourages people to group together, rather than stick to party-size guilds.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Khisanth.2948

Guilds are “allowed” to be small. There’s nothing that prevents a solo guild from building up a guild hall — many people have done so. I’m sure those numbers are a far cry from those who had ‘maxed’ guilds before HoT, because back then, you could buy all the upgrades, with coin.

Not just before HoT. Before February 26, 2013 because after that various upgrades requires guild merit which are similar to favor.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Ayrilana.1396

Me? I mean you need a maximum of 6 people around to do all of those. In some cases you need fewer.

Oh. I must have read it wrong.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Not yet before HoT. Before February 26, 2013 because after that various upgrades requires guild merit which are similar to favor.

Right, I forgot about that because you could get the Deep Cave and most other ‘improvements’ without it.

Merits were required for unlocking higher tiers of missions and for banners & the 24-hour buffs. Post-HoT, one-person guilds already have access to guild missions.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

I suggested this before but I really think that since the player is part the guild with the story NPCs then there should be a mission with Dragon’s Watch to capture a guild hall. It could use the same basic mechanics as the regular guild hall but give the player more leeway to upgrade it. The Dragon’s Watch guild hall could be a central focus for future story elements and interactions with the NPCs. They could either reduce the cost of that guild hall upgrades or have the NPC characters bring daily resources just as human players would. It’d give people the homestead option many have been wanting. Plus they could mirror their home instance upgrades to the Dragon’s Watch guild hall. I’d really like to see a section of it as Taimi’s lab that she says is to keep her inventions away from Phlunt.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Honestly even a guild of 20 active players feels inconsequential. The Guild Hall system, nice as it sounded, just provides virtually no depth.

It’s a lot of busywork, but for no tactical value. The buffs you gain are just… passive enhancements. You got your own little dueling arena, and a portal. Those are the meaningful things they provide.

Beyond that they’re super oversized empty spaces which feel dead and broken (partially because well, that’s the theme of the two we got so far) and were promptly abandoned once delivered, except for one minor upgrade.

If guild halls were continuously expanding and improving, providing new buildings to access mastery skills instead of getting them personally, new guild hall types etc, we’d probably be much more interested in our hall. The way it is, I don’t even know what my guild has in there, design-wise. Not like I pay attention, it’s not an important part of the guild play.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.