Rewards For Previous Achievements?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Giles Marchand.6970

Giles Marchand.6970

Is this still going to happen? It seems like months since I’ve heard anything about this.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

I am rather sure they said they will NOT retroactively reward laurels.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Giles Marchand.6970

Giles Marchand.6970

I just read that it will be another currency. I’ll edit the topic title.

Posted by: Kane Fire Blade.7482

Kane Fire Blade.7482

There will be one in place but its gona take a lot of time to get a good balance that wont annoy everyone, Since it was not added at start its harder to add it later cause there is more things they have to account for, So am sure there working on it since it gets brought up a lot!

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Last I heard they were going to reward laurels for achievements, and when they did they would retroactively reward people who previously did those achievements.
neither of those has happened yet. not sure if they will.

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

I wouldn’t even waste my time hoping on this one.

They either implement for the high end of achievement points, which means those with low points get next to nothing, and get kitten , or they implement towards the low end, and those at the top are swimming in new currency (X), and the low end STILL gets kitten , because they don’t have enough of that new currency.

As a result, they will not have that currency really be useful for anything, because then the low end people will compain to no end, so it will not provide laurels almost guaranteed. Think more along the line of fractal relics. You can buy a few nice things, and then they are basically useless. If they do put in a new currency of achievement points, it would be for something like that.

Also keep in mind the time-gate aspect that everything in this game revolves around. Why hand you stacks and stacks of a new currency for all the hard work you put in over the past months, when they can force you to start at square one (laurels) and farm from there. Keeps you in the game longer, and keeps you interested longer.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

1 laurel per achievement point

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

The reward is the leaderboard grin

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

I wouldn’t even waste my time hoping on this one.

They either implement for the high end of achievement points, which means those with low points get next to nothing, and get kitten , or they implement towards the low end, and those at the top are swimming in new currency (X), and the low end STILL gets kitten , because they don’t have enough of that new currency.

As a result, they will not have that currency really be useful for anything, because then the low end people will compain to no end, so it will not provide laurels almost guaranteed. Think more along the line of fractal relics. You can buy a few nice things, and then they are basically useless. If they do put in a new currency of achievement points, it would be for something like that.

Also keep in mind the time-gate aspect that everything in this game revolves around. Why hand you stacks and stacks of a new currency for all the hard work you put in over the past months, when they can force you to start at square one (laurels) and farm from there. Keeps you in the game longer, and keeps you interested longer.

couple things that could work around this issue:

reward is not 1 for 1, so you would need X acheivements to get Y rewards (say 25 pts / 1 Laurel)

reward cap – you can only gain Z Laurels via this manner of retroactive reimbursement

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Rennoko.5731

Rennoko.5731

You could cap it, but then that punishes people for doing the very thing you are retroactively rewarding them for. For example, the guy who has been working through achievements since lauch gets capped at 50 laurels, and the new guy who just came to the game, works out 100’s of laurels by doing the same achievements.

The old guy can’t re-do his achievements, they are already done, so he cannot even get those laurels now. They are basically lost revenue for him. The new guy however, he gets to plug right along and farm up as many as he can.

Personally I would be somewhat put off if they did that. A much better system would be to tier it such that for the first 1000 points you get 100 laurels, for the next 1000 points you get 40 laurels, etc etc.

But again, the laurels system is a time gate. They have no incentive – ZERO – incentive to break that gate down and toss everyone a stack of laurels.

I wouldn’t be the least bit suprised if they decided to give karama out as a reward for achievement points. Its a nice, mostly useless currency that wouldn’t impact causing people to get bored of the game. The reward is basically nothing useful for a hardcore player, but it wouldn’t alienate new players either, and at least people got something out of the deal.

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I am of the opinion that if they reward achievements with laurels, they will also reward previously-achieved achievements with the same amount of laurels. They’d kitten off too many people not to do this, and it makes sense.
I am also of the opinion they won’t be rewarding achievements with laurels :P too easy to do half of the achievements and get hundreds of laurels. they’ve made that currency too valuable for that. with 200, that player would then have BiS trinkets. currently, that takes around 5 months. if achievements gave laurels, you could do that within a few weeks. (I’m picturing 1 achievement = 1 laurel + ~10 achievement points)