Rewards after two years of GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Apolyon.6937

Apolyon.6937

I’m not really happy with the rewards I receive in the game. I consider myself very very very VERY lucky, because once I got Dawn from the Mystic Forge. But if I have to make memory and think about the last time I got a good drop… I just can’t remember.

All my drops are either to salvage or to sell on the TP. And whenever I have an objective, the answer is “buy it on the TP” or GTFO. To be honest, I couldn’t care less about the TP.

If the items cannot be bought on the TP, then they have some sick drop rates, that converts them in worthless trash for luckers.

How about you guys? Have you ever had a good drop? Are you happy with the current situation?

Here you have a summary of my good drops per activity:

Dungeons: Nothing at all. In the past I could convert Dungeon tokens to equipment, but they are now obsolete, so I just have the tokens sitting there in my inventory.
World Events: Nothing at all.
Tequatl: 30 minutes waiting AFK for a 12 minutes battle to get nothing at all. That’s if I can join…
Wurm: Couldn’t even join an organised group yet.
Fractals: Got 1 Ascended weapon box once, no fractal skins. Not even before the fractal update.
PvP: When I was playing PvP, it didn’t even have rewards!!!
WvW: Nothing at all.
Living Story: Nothing at all.
Personal Story: Nothing at all.
Map Completion with 3 characters: Worst reward ever for the time dedicated to do so…
End of Personal Story: One skin worth 4 gold in the TP.

Posted by: AIex.4105

AIex.4105

ive played almost 1 year this game and I dont play it anymore since is boring, Rewards are OK for me, in other mmorpgs is alot alot alot harder to get ur equipment and currency, gw2 in this aspect is easymode except the precusor thing.

the fact that there is not any tipe of competitive gameplay wich includes clans makes this game very boring for me,the sounds and music is very repetitive lowquality and anoying wich reminds me of some lame mmorpgs, PVE is boring as hell two with white items u can kill everything and do all dungends wich is lame and fractals made me so bored that i stoped playing this game.The sory line is cool but too easy to complete and donset give any decent reward, and after that game over for PVE unless u want farm dungens and become a zombie and get bored and annoyed to death like happed to me.

(edited by AIex.4105)

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Anet improved the rewards now with Season 2 for at least the Living World part of the game, the game gives you at least the feelign of being more rewarding, because Events give in Dry Top you a little Chest Reward (but sadly only with junk inside)
All the achievements give you a reward chest as they include materials you need for crafting, lockpicks which you use for hidden treasure chests.

The second season brought within Dry Top some reward improvements, that I’d like to see getting implemented everywhere into the game, like getting reward chests from doing events. Why should this work this way so only in Dry Top, when it could simple work so everywhere in the game?

I miss Meta Event Achievement Rewards from Season 2, thats somethign that anet should reinvent back into the game for doing special achievements, that these reward you with interesting items, like Black Lion Tickets would be awesome, if they put that as meta achievement rewards into the game or at least scraps of them.

Dungeon Rewards for Tokens need to be improved, they could put in so much more into the vendor list for tokens. They should begin with adding new weapons and armors of ascended quality, that you can get ascended stuff also from Dungeon Token
Same goes for WvW, the rewards that you can trade of with BoH should get improved, also there it shuold become possible to get ascended items with BoH.
Otherwise, the drop rate of ascended items from WEXP Rank Chests should get increased.
PvP rewards got improved by now, this mode got its various reward tracks and soon gets a new one with PvP exlusive Armor inside ..

Rewards from doing World Bosses definetely need as a system to get improved.
Anet has to remov the RNG crap out of this game and change that system to a token based reward system.
Example: Beat Tequatl, get a Token out of its Boss Reward Chest, use that Token at a new Vendor NPC on the map to get for those tokens either a Tequatl Minipet, the Sunless Weapons ect. pp.
Same goes for the Triple Trouble Wurms.

Fractals I can’t say, haven’t gotten a fraktal skin yet, but I am also not an intensive fractal player, but what I would like to see is that those Mist Essences should become not a Fractals Only thing. Mist Essecnes of all 3 types should drop in my opinion also in WvW should be found in chests for beating tower/stronghold/castle lords sometimes instead of dragonite ore.
Or Mist Essences of all 3 types should be also receiveable for Badges or Honor.
WvW is also in the Mists, like the Fractals, so why shouldn’t there also exist a way to earn Mist Essences??? In Fractals they drop too rarely alone and not everyone likes to play Fractals just for those Essences that rarely drop there. An alternative with WvW would be very nice. Maybe even as drop from killed players.
A way to craft them would be even nicer, like 250 Bloodstone Dust, 250 Empereal Shards, 250 Dragonite Ore and a new item that you can get only from WvW = Vial of Condensed Mist Essence

Bloodstone Brick, Empereal Star, Dragonite Brick each 5 + that WvW only item = Glob of Coagulated Mist Essence

Bloodstone Brick ,Empereal Star, Dragonite Brick and Glob of Mist Essence = Shard of Crystallized Mist Essence
That would be nice and would reduce somewhat of that silly mist essence grind from fractals

Map Competion gives you an required item for legendary weapons, however, i would find it better, if Map Completion would give you each time a random precursor, then would people really have an intention to do the stressful task of exploring with each character the 100% and the reward would be rewardign for doing it.
Those prerequisite items that you need for a legendary should become part of the rewards for beating the game instead

Gold rewards from dungeons should get changed. orr Dungeons should give slightly lesser gold, all other dungeosn should give slightly more gold.
Currently Path 1,2 and 4 give 3 Gold, should get reduced to 2,5 Gold.
All other Dungeons, that give currently around 1-1,5 Gold should give those 50 Silver more.
The Orr paths that give then 50 silver lesser rewards, should get therefore a slightly increased chance of getting exotics out of the end chest.
That are some changes that I’d like to see.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Posted by: TokyoGhost.6492

TokyoGhost.6492

Apolyon.6937

Aren’t you the guy who DDoSed Infinite Aion? o.O

I made so much mistakes that I now make mistakes without mistake.

Posted by: CeNedro.7560

CeNedro.7560

They should get rid of Junk&Click rewards and ad some meaningful ones(smth. that represents your playstile). Also they need to get rid of those tons of currencys(I was frustrated when I noticed that they introduced another currency @ LS2). Some sort of longtermgoal which isn’t totally gold and/or luckbased(for this playstile we already have some longtermgoals, although another one wouldn’t harm). Those new PvP-armour are a step into the right direction.

Posted by: Amnariel.3659

Amnariel.3659

Weekly 1 exotic maybe 2.Rest junk and I am sick of that.

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

Dungeons: Nothing at all. In the past I could convert Dungeon tokens to equipment, but they are now obsolete, so I just have the tokens sitting there in my inventory.

- Guaranteed gold drops. Guaranteed champion chests. Aside from that, tokens to unlock dungeon armor/weapon skins. Haven’t had much more than that. Maybe 0.8-0.9 rares per run, nearly no exotics.

- If this refers to world bosses, guaranteed rare, dragonite and usually about 2 additional rares. Few to no exotics.

Tequatl: 30 minutes waiting AFK for a 12 minutes battle to get nothing at all. That’s if I can join…

Join 45 minutes beforehand. TTS is your best bet, but other guilds are also capable of doing it. Just make sure it’s 45 minutes beforehand. The later you join the map the less likely you are of being on a barely competent world. I’ve had a single rare waterbreather and a single exotic mini. And a few rares from gold dragon chests. One ascended rabid weapon for my necromancer.

- TTS is pretty much your only bet here. Again, 45 minutes beforehand. I JUST got an ascended regurgitated armor chest today. Other than that usually rares.

Fractals: Got 1 Ascended weapon box once, no fractal skins. Not even before the fractal update.

- One ascended celestial weapon, one fractal dagger (before nerf), a couple of rings, some infused, some not. That’s about it.

- It still doesn’t really have much by the way of rewards really.

The occasional rare and a crapload of worthless greens. Not enough to cover my blueprint costs or tag costs.

Only the new backpieces.

- That same Pact Victory Token, one BL ticket I used to buy and sell a valentine sword.

Map Completion with 3 characters: Worst reward ever for the time dedicated to do so…

- About 120 gold worth in completion chests in runes, lemongrass, ancient wood, linen scraps etc.

No precursors ever. I know of people that had precursor drops, and of a girl who got two precursors from the forge within 5 minutes, but absolutely nothing like that for me.

(edited by Hayashi.3416)

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It took me a while to figure out the “reward” system in GW2. For what it tries to do, it works pretty well. However, much of the excitement attached to rewards in other MMO’s comes from the utility and/or exclusivity of the drops. With the exception of precursors, this type of excitement is exceedingly rare in GW2.

GW2’s reward system is more incremental than fortuitous. Most of the really desirable items are gained by putting together the “components” needed, whether those be tokens or mats. This is designed this way to limit the effects of RNG on obtaining what one wants. The RNG-only aspects of the exceptions (e.g., precursors, Wurm and Teq drops, Fractal Weapon skins) are complained about regularly. Unfortunately, you cannot eliminate RNG without using some alternate system that does not amount to, “Here’s your item for logging in.” Incremental systems are a sure thing, with time-to-acquire being the limiting factor. They aren’t very exciting, however.

In other MMO’s, getting drops or rewards that you’ll actually use on your character generates excitement. The way that top-tier gear drops in GW2 (exotics and ascended) practically guarantees that this experience almost never happens. So, you either make the Ascended item you want (back to the incremental system) or you farm gold and buy the exotic on the TP.

There may be an answer to the question, “How do you design a rewards system that makes rewards accessible to most everyone while retaining the excitement inherent to exclusive drops?” but ANet has not really found it.

Posted by: Lighthammer.3280

Lighthammer.3280

Been playing for almost 6k hours, got one precursor: shield, like a year ago.

everything else is just salvage-o-matic food.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I have not, as of yet, ever gotten a drop that was of use to me with the exception of dyes (which have been subsequently removed from drop tables).

Edit to clarify: By, “of use to me,” I am not referring to the ability to vendor or TP something.

Posted by: jackaljag.8637

jackaljag.8637

I’ve gotten Leaf of Kudzu and Spark as drops from mobs, get a little exo now and then to spice up the loot I get from regularly running dungeons and make a face every time I get a t6 or a core/lodestone because I prefer hoarding my mats over buying on the TP.

But honestly? I get happy just getting stuff with skins I haven’t unlocked yet, or stuff that goes fill up my collectibles tabs (it makes my little hoarding heart nice and fuzzy).

Re: “obsolete” dungeon equipement, you do realize you can use them to buy either level 70+ rares to salvage for ecto (40-50s/unit last I checked) or non-craftable stat set exotics for a chance at the insignias which sell for like 1-3g/unit on top of ecto too, right?

I’m happy with the rewards as they are. And yeah, you’ll say it’s because I’m one of the outrageously lucky ones who got pre drops, but tbh I only crafted Kudzu because it dropped in my lap and I could. Shrugs. To each their own, but personally I’m good.

Joran Blackgear – Engineer – EU | Juras Blackpowder – Engineer – NA

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

The question that I keep coming back to is what exactly WOULD be rewarding in this game.

I think there is this lingering stigma from the MMO genre that “item color = awesome”, and that if you don’t get [x] amount of items of the item color you’re looking for, then its not rewarding enough.

Even WITH the added ascended grind, I think the real “reward” in this game is SUPPOSED to be item appearance, of which you can find a bevy across ALL item rarities.

Yes, the RNG if you’re looking for a specific something IS punishing (like precursors or ascended chests or fractal weapons), and that DOES need to change. But outside of those horribly rarified things (that Arena.net seems to like where its at for reasons that are annoying to be sure), I think the “reward” level is acceptable.

Posted by: Linaeus.6253

Linaeus.6253

If you don’t get good drops and you don’t like the TP, there isn’t much for you to do. There are many ways to get gold in the game, though most aren’t possible because most lack/refuse to put in the time to learning them. Almost everything is accessible in the TP and most are fine with that. Since you are not, I think it would be best for you to find a new game and good luck if your search if you do.

Posted by: Altariel.4610

Altariel.4610

we need more things in PVE and not only living story….

Posted by: Ragion.2831

Ragion.2831

Guys, you gotta relax, this mmorpg model hasn’t been done before and its only been 2 years. Also consider this, in other mmorpgs, you have to do alot more work to get good stuff, which has its appeal to the hardcore crowd. If gw2 were to go hardcore, then there would be reason to complain.

Posted by: Xander.9024

Xander.9024

Dungeons: One Howl from a boss in AC stroy mode. (yes, story mode..not even joking) and two exotics.

Random killspree: A few rares over the course of a week

Champs: One exotic and mostly green and blues. (The green and blues are everyday, the exotic was a one off so far)

World bosses: When i did them, all i got were greens and blues. I haven’t had the inclination to want to do them. I also treat the three headed wurm and that teq thing like the black plague.

Exploration: Completing Frostgorge game me two exotics (seer’s if i remember correctly) a transmute charge and 40 orichalcum ores.

I’m not really a hardcore grinder or anything, I just play to have fun and goof off.

Mystic Forge: 200g, I think it was six exotics total and the rest were rares. (This was maybe two weeks ago)

(/age is 713 days)

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I mean I have almost 200% magic find from luck and I still get nothing but blues or greens from anything. World bosses, Tequatl, Dungeons, all blues and greens. Luckily they added the little bonus chest for the guaranteed rare or I’d get none.

I do not think the rewards in this game are worth it. And don’t even get me started on precursor drops.

Posted by: Hanzlo.3148

Hanzlo.3148

Good point Apolyon, i also got nothing not even 1 precursors in 2 years of playing and forging.

Rewards are really poor for unlucky ones

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I’ll ever know.
Live and die on this day.Live and die on this day.
Gunnar’s Hold – [ACID]

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

You got to play an mmorpg for only one box sell price for 2 years that seems reward in its self. I do not get it at what point did playing video games where no longer the reward for spending money from work? Its like saying ice cream is part of your dinner and you should be given something for eating it after you eaten the main meal.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

TehPwnerer.7215

You got to play an mmorpg for only one box sell price for 2 years that seems reward in its self. I do not get it at what point did playing video games where no longer the reward for spending money from work? Its like saying ice cream is part of your dinner and you should be given something for eating it after you eaten the main meal.

Except every time you get the ice cream it comes served to you melted. The game won’t improve if Anet doesn’t hear feedback and right now, as it has always been, rewards are utterly pointless and unrewarding entirely.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Except every time you get the ice cream it comes served to you melted. The game won’t improve if Anet doesn’t hear feedback and right now, as it has always been, rewards are utterly pointless and unrewarding entirely.

Right now you say or what? If you give ppl too many rewarded the reason to play is removed you need something to work to and if you have every thing then you stop working.

You comply missed my point the ice cream is something on the lines of rewarding you at the end of your meal it was a sweet to make a kid eat things they would not like i am talking about the ice cream for ppl has become part of the meal and not the rewarded it self. The same could be said with video games we play games because they are fun not because we are going to be rewarded in a game for playing it.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

TehPwnerer.7215

Right now you say or what? If you give ppl too many rewarded the reason to play is removed you need something to work to and if you have every thing then you stop working.

You comply missed my point the ice cream is something on the lines of rewarding you at the end of your meal it was a sweet to make a kid eat things they would not like i am talking about the ice cream for ppl has become part of the meal and not the rewarded it self. The same could be said with video games we play games because they are fun not because we are going to be rewarded in a game for playing it.

That’s all fine and good, but I have gotten literally 0 exotic drops since launch. 0. Not a single exotic has dropped for me off of a mob or from a chest. Since launch. There’s a point where it gets out of control.

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

The majority of the rewards in GW2 is just scraps. You farm enough scraps (T6 mats, daily gold runs node farming, black lion keys etc), you get what you want

There are too few instances where you actually say “OMG an awesome drop” Things like teq mini pet would be an example of a nice drop.. again, they need more things like that… what majority of the time you are doing is farming for scraps… that’s a lazy system…

Heck look at runescape for example – they got plenty of bosses, each with a variety of rewarding loot like a certain chest peice or weapon. People have options on what kind of stuff they want to farm and get a decent reward out of it…

Here you are stuck with farming around the world for scraps or hoping for RNG drops like a teq mini or frac skin..its an extremely weak rewarding system

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The majority of the rewards in GW2 is just scraps. You farm enough scraps (T6 mats, daily gold runs node farming, black lion keys etc), you get what you want

There are too few instances where you actually say “OMG an awesome drop” Things like teq mini pet would be an example of a nice drop.. again, they need more things like that… what majority of the time you are doing is farming for scraps… that’s a lazy system…

Heck look at runescape for example – they got plenty of bosses, each with a variety of rewarding loot like a certain chest peice or weapon. People have options on what kind of stuff they want to farm and get a decent reward out of it…

Here you are stuck with farming around the world for scraps or hoping for RNG drops like a teq mini or frac skin..its an extremely weak rewarding system

I don’t think that, “lazy,” is the right word to describe the reward system in GW2. I think that the devs were a bit nervous about a repeat of complaints about the difficulty of getting rare drop X as happened in GW1 (and other games). I think they went too far the other way.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

That’s all fine and good, but I have gotten literally 0 exotic drops since launch. 0. Not a single exotic has dropped for me off of a mob or from a chest. Since launch. There’s a point where it gets out of control.

But… in this case… so what?

What does an exotic drop give you that isn’t readily available? The entire “rewards” issue seems tied to old MMO thinking where “item color = awesome.” Really? What would it change if EVERY mob dropped one exotic guaranteed? Would you wear it? Probably not. Would you use it for a skin? Unlikely.

I get the psychological aspect of seeing those yellow and orange items pop up, but really… that’s all it is. Psychological. At the end of the day, the items themselves aren’t very rewarding… there’s no real significant power creep (even with the Ascended items now), and the entire point of the cosmetic approach is that there’s good looks to be found at every item rarity.

So, I still really have a hard time grasping just what “rewarding” CAN be in the game, much less what it SHOULD be.

The really only egregious thing I can think of are the items that as far as I can tell Arena.net INTENDS to be obscenely rare. That’s something I think can and should have some changes.

Posted by: tolunart.2095

tolunart.2095

This game has subtle but very important differences that set it apart from other MMOs. Things like no mob tagging – every player who fights a mook/boss/world boss gets his own loot, no “first shot gets loot” or need/greed competitions. Crafting mats come from shared nodes, no one gets to the ori node before you do and steals your crafting mats. The economy is game-wide rather than server specific and designed around items and materials being available to everyone at once.

The general idea is that nearly every drop and every event reward reduces to a handful of game currencies – usually gold but also karma, event currency like candy corn, dungeon tokens, badges, etc. Because items are so widely available you then have the option to buy almost anything you want. And most items are so plentiful that you can buy as many as you can afford at any time, then play the game at your leisure to collect more currency to buy more later on.

The problem comes because players were taught by other MMOs to focus only on the “end game” and the exclusive items the end game provides. No one cares about how the level 40 gear looks because you’ll be level 50 a day later. Level 80 rares and most exotics are so plentiful that they are dirt cheap and useful mostly for converting to other currency or as lottery tickets in the search for rarer items.

The game wasn’t designed for a focus on exclusive loot and visual prestige: it exists, yes, but players who want it are all directed into a tiny subset of the game where they compete for a few options and ignore most of the game world except as a means to obtain these few exclusive items.

Other MMOs do much the same thing, but they were designed to attract and keep these players (either through monthly subscriptions or selling upgrades directly) and so the game becomes an endless treadmill exchanging one exclusive reward for the next. Because GW2 was not designed this way, those players quickly run through the rest of the game (the part they ignore because it doesn’t directly lead to these exclusive rewards) and have to be held back from obtaining the final rewards too quickly because there won’t be any replacements coming every few months to keep them logging in. Without any new goals to grind out, the game becomes boring and they move on to something else.

Of course, some players who have been trained to expect this endless cycle of grind/reward/new grind/new reward will be disappointed but short of completely redesigning the game there is nothing the devs can do about this. This is not the game you’re looking for. You can complain about it on the forums endlessly, and nothing will change because a few million casual players like it the way it is, or you can move on to a game that was designed to support your play style.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Agreed. I buy everything on the trading post because drops are way too low and you can amass the gold to buy an item far far quicker than you can drop the materials to craft them. EX: Volcanus. It requires 450 lodestones. I wish people luck farming all of those. The only viable way to craft this weapon is to rely on a large number of players getting the odd lodestone and then selling them on the TP. In addition to this, many of the mystic forge exotics cost roughly the same (or less with a buy order) to buy outright as they do to craft (assuming you buy the materials off the TP).

As for my personal experience with drops:

400 fractal runs: 1 piece of ascended armor. Luckily it was zerker stats. It remains the only ascended gear i’ve ever dropped. Never had a fractal skin or weapon drop. As it is now the only viable way to get ascended gear is to craft it. Unfortunately this is not fun because it means grinding for gold to buy the mats off the TP. farming all the mats would take forever. I would love to see a system like that of the fractal capacitor back added for ascended gear.

Teq: Join an hour early to get a decent server and then wait. Fun. Have never got a drop off Teq.

World Bosses: Got Final Rest from SB twice so that’s like 12g I guess.

Champ Bags: I have probably got some low value exotics but nothing fancy.

I think I have somewhere over 1300h and I have never got a precursor and the only expensive exotic I have ever dropped is Lord Taeres’ Shadow which sells for 40g on the TP. Generally the exotics I get are A. Account bound or B. worth less than 2g.

This game is severely lacking in the good feeling of getting a great drop because the drop rate on ascended items is pitifully low (forced to craft) and the nice exotic skins are mystic toilet or BL chest only. It’s funny because there’s not much to do at 80 but farm for fancy skins and buying them from BL chests just means you get them right away, reducing the longevity of the game even more. Fractal weapons are a unique drop, but again, they don’t drop nearly enough. I would love to see more drop only weapons providing the droprate is increased slightly.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

(edited by vespers.1759)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I must be luckier than most people, I guess. I’ve gotten 2 fractal skins (a harpoon and a short bow). I got one precusor from the Karka event.

I do ocassionally get exotics…not very often. Maybe one a week. But I play a lot.

I’ve also had three black lion key drops from mobs. Which you know averages out to one every 2500 hours of play. lol

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I don’t think that, “lazy,” is the right word to describe the reward system in GW2. I think that the devs were a bit nervous about a repeat of complaints about the difficulty of getting rare drop X as happened in GW1 (and other games). I think they went too far the other way.

One benefit is how rarely dropped or “scraps-coming-together” gear really isn’t game-changingly powerful. Frankly, I find that a fantastic thing the more I go back in memory to other MMOs where it’s all-consuming to ride that progression as fast and as hard as possible or get locked out of the “fun stuff” . . . why is it fun?

I suppose it’s kind of also worth noting after six years of GW1 I had almost the same sensation: “so . . . what exactly am I rewarded with when I do stuff?” It’s why I focused on getting quests/story done and then half-shelved the game except to come back on interesting weekend events.

. . . relatedly? Also why I dropped Diablo 2, and other games like it. The question of “so I just spent X hours a week on average for Y years and what do I have to show for it?” weighs on me a lot anymore. There’s not really any significant answer . . . at all . . . to most of them.

The only two games I get that feeling from are Minecraft and Terraria, because I can then sit back and look at things I’ve done and built rather than the gear, the shinies, or the achievements.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

I have a different experience after all.

My gold generate ability is extremely low in GW2, my best income was AC run all paths and only done that for couple days. My current average gold income per day is about 1g~2g.

I got plenty of good loots through out the 2 years play time. Best loot was Dawn, Lord Taeres’s Shadow, Crystal Guardian, final rest. The days i grinded gold for my legendary (constant dungeon run, world boss train, champ train), my drop rate was awful. But most of the good drops included Dawn was happened after a long break from GW2.

I don’t know if there is secret mechanic that balance out the loot for hardcore players and casual players. I do feel that, the more gold i can generate though out fixed income (dungeon, champ bag etc), the less good loot i got. The more casual I played, once a while a dungeon run, join a world boss event if it cross my path, taking some breaks from GW2, doing map completion for 7 other characters… I got better loots.

Maybe that’s just me.

Posted by: Venomge.7142

Venomge.7142

Been playing for over a year, never got anything worthwhile.

Desolation [EU] – Thief

Posted by: HiddenNick.7206

HiddenNick.7206

Dungeon Rewards for Tokens need to be improved, they could put in so much more into the vendor list for tokens. They should begin with adding new weapons and armors of ascended quality, that you can get ascended stuff also from Dungeon Token

The greatest thing about ascended gear is that they are rewarded for doing different things! And you want to exchange that for doing dungeons over and over again?! You are already rewarded with ascended mats for doing dungeons. That’s enough.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

There’s nothing wrong with the rewards. Every activity you do in the game rewards you with something. Now if your gripe is with the fact that you won’t immediately get the item you want… well, aside from a few account bound things, you can actually buy things from the TP, thus reaching your goal.

Here is the actual problem: if those drops that you want (the exciting rewards) are more frequent for everyone, then they quickly become a boring “ah this thing again” experience for everyone and you’ll come back to the forums adding this same topic again.

Vayne.8563

There’s nothing wrong with the rewards. Every activity you do in the game rewards you with something. Now if your gripe is with the fact that you won’t immediately get the item you want… well, aside from a few account bound things, you can actually buy things from the TP, thus reaching your goal.

Here is the actual problem: if those drops that you want (the exciting rewards) are more frequent for everyone, then they quickly become a boring “ah this thing again” experience for everyone and you’ll come back to the forums adding this same topic again.

I wouldn’t say there’s nothing wrong with the rewards. I’d say there needs to be more excitment surrounding rewards. Guild Wars 2 had things that could drop anywhere that gave you a bit of a chance of excitement. I mean yeah, you can get black lion keys from drops, but it’s too rare. I’m talking about stuff like the birthday weekends, where we got birthday cupcakes, or lunar tokens or whatever.

Right now, there’s very little excitement, and that’s not good for the game.

HiddenNick.7206

It’s a problem that needs to be solved. ArenaNET removed all the excitement and uniqueness along with vertical progression. And they didn’t give anything in return. I do understand why they did it. But that shouldn’t be an excuse for the lack of excitement when rewarded.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

Whoever find that all these different game modes reward them with “no reward at all” won’t be happy to get a birthday cupcake.

Vayne.8563

Whoever find that all these different game modes reward them with “no reward at all” won’t be happy to get a birthday cupcake.

You know what? There’s nothing Anet would do to make everyone happy. But I’m convinced there are plenty of people who would feel happy to get something different, even if it’s not immensely valuable.

Sure some people play only to get a legendary or only to get a precusor, but I can’t imagine they’re a majority. People were talking about getting excited about getting random dyes, even though those dyes were mostly going to be relatively worthless.

It will help some people, not all people. It would help people like me.

Orpheal.8263

The greatest thing about ascended gear is that they are rewarded for doing different things! And you want to exchange that for doing dungeons over and over again?! You are already rewarded with ascended mats for doing dungeons. That’s enough.

We two must play different games, because you don’t get rewarded with any ascended mats from doing Dungeons at all.
If you go into a Dungeon and beat that dungeon, all what you get are:

1-3 Gold regarding which Dungeon and which Path you played sucessfully
Around 60 Tokens of that Dungeon daily for that one Path
The Champ Bosses drop MoneyBags/Token Bags .

But you don’t get any Ascended Materials from Dungeons and you can’t trade your Tokens for Ascended Materials also.
The only way you get Ascended Materials there is from Bosses, that drop exotic Loot Bags. But the Dungeons self give you nothing like that and if you just go into Dungeons for the very few Dungeon bosses that drop their exotic Loot Bags for the Ascended Materials, then you’re wastign your time, because you could get outside of Dungeons alot faster those exotic Loot Bags.

However, gettign rewarded should happen in this game under the point, that you should be able to play the game, as you like, and every way of playing this game should offer you rewards, that you wan,t that you need, that are useful for you and that feel really rewarding, because getting rewarded with it means, you don’t have to go through the typical grind for it anymore.
When a reward removes grind for me, then I feel really rewarded, like a real relief, because I know then – wow, thank goodness, I don’t have to waste countless hours anymore to get that thing … I just got it though doing something in the game that I like to do … and you know that that means ???

It means FUN – it means it makes players HAPPY, it means that its more likely that players don’t get bored or even frustrated over so quickly of this game, if the reward systems of GW2 would be just better and feel, you know, like being really rewards!!

Greens and Blues (Luck Junk), Thorns and other grey garbage that sell for a few copper coins 99% of all times and rares, which don’t guaranteed give at least 1 ectoplasm glob from salvaging them aren’t rewards, because its all just useless stuff, thats uninteresting for an endgame character-player.
GW1 was there alot better with its junk management, the game had even for every kind of junk NPC which COLLECT that junk to offer you somethign thats worthful for you to get rid of all that useless garbage and get something for it, that is rewardign for you, like a special weapon/armor skin that you could get ONLY from that NPC, or somwe kind of item, that if you sell it, brought you at least some money, while selling all that junk would have not, or you could trade it for consumeable items.

This could all work here again, if ANet would just put in a tiny bit more effort into nostalgia and implemente a few good things of GW1 back into GW2, like those said Junk Trader NPCs.

Here an example of how it could work: Junk Trader X in Map Y tradign Items for Fish Fins. Thiose Junk Traders would collect what you give them in a cumulative way, if you reach the Maximum, their Collection resets for you and you can repeat it as often as you want…

Give him 5 Fish Fins and get back a Money Bag
Give him 15 Fish Fins and get a Material Bag with T1-3 Materials inside
Give him 25 Fish Fins and get a Material Bag with T4-6 Materials inside
Give him 50 Fish Fins and get 10 Money Bags
Give him 75 Fish Fins and get a Black lion Key
Give him 100 Fish Fins and get a Weapon of Choice of his Trade Weapons that he shows you then
Give him 150 Fish Fins and receive a few Unidentified Colors
Give him 200 Fish Fins and receive a Box of Fun, a random Booster and 10 Money Bags
Give him 250 Fish Fins and get an Equipment Part of Choise of his Trade Armors that he shows you then.
Reset.

other Junk Traders could offer you completely different rewards then for their stuff that they collect, but at least this way would become al the junk that you get 99,9% of all times valuable for the player and not something, that you either instantly throw away so that it doesn’t clutter your inventory full, or sell later for the few copper coins, that if you have enough junk with you are just enough to reinvest it into a salvage kit…

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

I guess my problem is is that you can’t just go out and farm for stuff. Like Charged Lodestones for example. Need 100, or even 250 for kitten’s sake, for a recipe but don’t have a lot of gold? Give up on whatever you wanted. You can’t go out and farm and maybe get 4-5/hour. You’ll get maybe 1 in 50 runs of CoE, if even that.

I guess my problem is there is always two ways outside of good luck to get rare, desirable items, in this game’s case Legendary weapons.

1) The fast way for rich players: buy all mats, or even buy the completed weapon if super rich. Minimal farming for mats.

2) The long way for poorer players: everything that can be farmed must be, really only spending gold on items that can only be purchased.

That’s the problem in GW2. You can rarely just go out and farm what you need. Laurels have greatly reduced the frustration of getting T6 mats, but things like the aforementioned Lode Stones poorer players are kitten out of luck, in some cases only being able to buy 1 every few days depending on play style.

It’s just things like that that I have a problem with the loot in this game. I rather enjoy not having to do a dungeon over and over in hopes the boss will drop what I want, and when it finally does to have someone ninja it.

HiddenNick.7206

We two must play different games, because you don’t get rewarded with any ascended mats from doing Dungeons at all.
If you go into a Dungeon and beat that dungeon, all what you get are:

1-3 Gold regarding which Dungeon and which Path you played sucessfully
Around 60 Tokens of that Dungeon daily for that one Path
The Champ Bosses drop MoneyBags/Token Bags .

Empyreal Fragments

Dungeon explorable paths (20 for first and second completion per day, then diminishing returns)

Vayne.8563

I think that the idea that you can farm gold is less attractive to a lot of people than getting item drops. If every item is viewed as “just gold” the game loses something. In my opinion anyway.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I wonder how much time have employees play the game.
They probably have like 14h. 1h for waiting a dude to write something so their characters can be lvl 80. And 13h from live streams to show off how they understand us because they play this game too…
If only they could actually play this game to see how some things are terrible like reward system. Maybe then they would change those “great ideas” that they thought of.

Posted by: Ulion.5476

Ulion.5476

The rewards have been improved but does anyone feel like they are rewards for their effort? In spvp with the reward are good now that they added the reward tracks and WvW tends to be a money sink. The awards for pvp side of the game are the same stuff you can get from pve. Knowing that you can get the same outfit for doing anything takes awhile from how rewarded you feel about getting it.

The idea that you can get the most unique items for gold helps to show how valuable an item is. It also make people question did they make this or buy it? Legendary are just take time/gold to make. When it come to precursors, the drop rate is under 1% so its get lucky or grind. Whats most rewarding is being unique and know that you are one of the few that spend that amount of effort in getting x. The time-gated reward system is a good way to tell that someone spent 3 weeks getting that item or they did something awesome/hard to get it.

You should be able to tell what a player normally does by looking at their outfit. The lack of unique rewards for specific game types does take away from how rewarded you feel. A-net should add more reward unique to each gamemode type.

Ele – Tarnished Coast
“Quoth the raven nevermore”
Platinum Scout: 300% MF

Posted by: Kjeldoran.3849

Kjeldoran.3849

ive played almost 1 year this game and I dont play it anymore since is boring…

Thanks for that 1 great year, now please stop writing on a forum about a game you don’t play anymore. thank you.

Dungeons: you can still convert token to equip… please define “obsolete”. Are you talking about the skin? You can always use dungeons rewards in many ways: only for stats, 4x in mistyc toilet, salvage them or simply collect skins

World Events: “chests” are luky dependent … it’s true but you always receive 1-2 yellows and that makes it the beast way to farm yellows for mistyc toilet or for glob of ectoplasm farm… it is fine as it is… otherwise you wouldn’t see so many ppl doing them

Tequatl: i don’t even know how many time ago you did your last tequatl but now i’m able to find tons of maps doing tequatl also 1-10 mins before the encounter… and what you got is incredible: 10k+ karma + tons of yellows + chance for mini tequatl + chance for tequatl ascended weapon + various drop from chest and boxes

Wurm: it is still hard to find organized maps… that should tell something to all those haters who say “there is challenging content!” … pathetic… but the reward if completed 1 time per day is great… while if you did it 1 time over the last 5 months… well it may be a bit “meh”

fractal: well it is fun as it is… but you need to play higher fractal reward to get good drops… from 10+ you get most of time at least 1 ascended ring per daily… not bad at all…

PvP: is full of rewards… skins, armor/weapons from dungeon traks, exclusive rewards (from other traks), tome and scrolls, trasmutation charges, random drop (i got 4 ascended chests from pvp), dungeon tokens and more.

WvW: if you got a good zerg and go for a long keep/camps farm you will end up with tons of bags (for random loot) in few hours and surely got some level up for extra chance to loot and don’t forget those tournament tickets

Living Sotry: it is supposed to not give “wonderfull stuff” simply because it is the normal story… what do you expect from a thing that can be solo completed in few hours? A legendary? On the other hand the most of time you get random drop chests… luck or not luck…

Personal Story: from personal story you get black lion keys + well… it is your story and shows the lore of the game… if you are not interested i think you are playing the wrong game, this is a mmo RPG and know the lore is the most important thing.

Map Completiton: wile low level maps only award few useless things (+ a chance for black lion key) on the other hand 70+ maps always give you 2 exotics + black lion key + orichalcum/ancient/etc, which is a very good drop (i did something like 20golds + 5 black lion keys while completing map for legendary).

Thats all.

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I got Zap the day I turned 80, almost 2 years ago, and sold it on the tp for around 20g so I could buy abyss dyes. Since then, nothing.

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

I’m not sure I believe, you haven’t got 1 exotic drop since launch……..they’re not THAT rare.

Posted by: Azrael.4960

Azrael.4960

I’d say I’m roughly in the middle of the bunch in terms of rewards.

Over the last 2 years, since release, I’ve only racked up 2000 hours or so and I’ve had

- 2 precursors as drops (One I made into a legendary)
- 6 fractal skins
- 9 ascended armour/weapon boxes.
- 1 dungeon trinket exclusive recipe (these are kitten ed rare)
- Lost count of the number of exotics as drops. Probably a good couple dozen by now.
Although I compare that to an ex-guildie who has played maybe 1200 hours and got 4 precursors as drops…

Lately, I’ve just been signing in to flip a little. When I played a lot, I’d make anywhere between 1 and 10g per session, which was about 4 hrs ish, so you could say gold income wasn’t exactly an issue.

Admittedly these days my game activity is quite a bit lower. I been taking a break since I’ve done the LS chapters and am waiting on the next update. But have a lot of IRL stuff to deal with.

Rewards aren’t so much rare as they are lacklustre. There needs to be worthy events or content that leads to a significant reward at the end. Something like a weekly or monthly super event where the odds of getting a super rare or unique items are boosted by 10,000% or something. Something that requires an enormous amount of effort on the part of the players and a commitment in time, which is justly rewarded at the end.

Orpheal.8263

Empyreal Fragments
Dungeon explorable paths (20 for first and second completion per day, then diminishing returns)

Lol, and you find this is rewarding? (Now I know also why I dont recognized that, as ive always some of them with me…and if you have somethign in your inventory of a reward, it just gets added without showing you)
20 of those fragments s are quicker received through killing some NPCs in WvW or doing some jumping puzzles, than doing a dungeon …
Those 20 fragments aren’t a main reward.
If you go into Dungeons just for those cheap 20 fragments, which become even lesser after the second run, then its no miracle, that people get quickly bored of the Dungeons and find them unrewarding, if everything what you get there is money, tokens and a few fragments, that could have been faster gained in WvW or from doing some JP’s.

The point is, people should have more options to earn ascended items in this game through effort – not through pure LUCK – by choosing something they like to do in this game and the current only way of effort how you can earn ascended items is through crafting. Something, what really alot of people absolutely dislike to do just to mention.
It isn’t wrong to offer more ways of player effort to earn ascended items.
Because everything else what the game offers so far besides of crafting is purely luck based.

• Getting ascended from World Bosses – super luck based, maybe a 1 in 1000th tries
  • Getting ascended from WvW Rank Chests – even more luck based, as you don#t just get the stats that you like…. so you need to be even lucky about it, that if you get an asecned through WvW Ranks, that you are so lucky to get useful stats >.<
  • Getting ascended through Fractal Chests – same as luck based, but with higher chances so higher the Fractal Level, but also somethign what many people dislike to do due to the difficulty level and the huge prerequired grind of gettign first the equipment to be even helpful on the higher fractal levels without getting insta killed from Agony

So the only thing where you can constantly work on with effort without any long grindy preparations first is currently only Crafting. And thats bad.
GW2 needs more alternatives and thats exactly the point, where Dungeons and WvW with Badges of Honor have to jump in, so that everyone can earn ascended items in the way how they like to play the game.

Nobody has talked here about how much they should cost. thats just something ANet has to balance out.
Clear is only, that if ANet should ever put in ascended items for tokens into the vendor, that they should naturally cost alot more, than just exotic quipment and that the stuff from there can’t be sold in the TP or thrown into the Mystic Forge.
You use it, or you destroy it. So simple. That way it can’t affect the economy.

Ascended Equipment would also be stuff, what keeps the dungeons fresh and leads to the point, that people want to keep on playing those dungeons for a logn time, because you could get that way then some new weapon and armor skins that are unique to these dungeons just like the exotic stuff, that you can get either only via the dungeosn, or from the PvP reward tracks of the dungeons.
That Anet even added these reward tracks later shows, thats it in the interest of ANet to increase the ways of how you can earn things in this game to provide alternatives for players, that clearly dislike it, that somethign in this game has only 1 way of receiving it without RNG and thats currently also the case with ascended stuff.

Craftign is in the moment the only way without RNG, how you can obtain it and this has to change. Otherwise this game stays always an alt character unfriendly Grind Wars, regardless if ascended stuff is required or not in most pasts of this game.

Its needed if you ever want to do successfully the higher levels of Fractals, its halfway required for WvW for slightly better survival chances and there it can make the difference in a 1v1 duel of dieing or winning and it also makes slightly dungeons in PvE easier and everywhere, where every tiny bits of DPS is important, like Tequatl/Triple Trouble because with increasing amounts of players, the little difference between exotic to ascended becomes much larger (Flock makes also muck! – especially in large numbers)

HiddenNick.7206

Empyreal Fragments

Lol, and you find this is rewarding?

No!

Besides… There is absolutely nothing that could make me run any of this game dungeons again. After two years even pulling my teeth out seems like a more pleasant perspective.

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

I wouldn’t say there’s nothing wrong with the rewards. I’d say there needs to be more excitment surrounding rewards. Guild Wars 2 had things that could drop anywhere that gave you a bit of a chance of excitement. I mean yeah, you can get black lion keys from drops, but it’s too rare. I’m talking about stuff like the birthday weekends, where we got birthday cupcakes, or lunar tokens or whatever.

Right now, there’s very little excitement, and that’s not good for the game.

From the last sentence, I think you meant GW1. And IMO excitement comes from the reward, but it also comes from a “near miss”. Popping a locked chest and a q9 tactics Echovald shield falls on the ground and you id’d it to be +10 armor vs. earth. You didn’t really get any reward – the shield is merch food – but it still felt like you got something. Even if it was only a chance at a good skin + stats roll.

GW2 – rares don’t feel like a near miss, but rather just another ecto (or maybe 2 mithril ore) and exotics are so infrequent that if you do get one and it turns out to be a speargun it’s more like “oh great, my one weekly random exotic is a crappy speargun”