Rework on map size and shape??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

Could it be possible? Don’t get me wrong I loooooove the fact that every map has its own little world and dynamic events and things to do and megaserver, so I would never suggest an open world. But what about a rework? Instead of a map being rectangular or square, why not make the shapes more realistic?? maybe combine a map or two?? All I want is a bit of a rework on maps. Shouldn’t be too hard to do at all, it’s just moving things around a bit on existing content, and adding a few details.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Shouldn’t be too hard to do at all

Ok other programmers, chug!!!

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

Could it be possible? Don’t get me wrong I loooooove the fact that every map has its own little world and dynamic events and things to do and megaserver, so I would never suggest an open world. But what about a rework? Instead of a map being rectangular or square, why not make the shapes more realistic?? maybe combine a map or two?? All I want is a bit of a rework on maps. Shouldn’t be too hard to do at all, it’s just moving things around a bit on existing content, and adding a few details.

I honestly can’t think of many changes they could do to the game that would be more work intensive than that. Definitely would not be easy.

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

I would much rather have new maps added than existing maps reshaped, combined, or otherwise revamped. Sure, add events/bosses/whatever, but don’t spend the effort to add physical features of any significance.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

1) already exist
2) failed to describe why this would be beneficial

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

The fact that all of the maps are rectangular bothers me, especially because they used mountains (or at least very steep hills) as the borders of the map so often. Every time I look at the world map I have to try not to notice all those perfectly straight north-south and east-west mountain ranges.

But as other people have said this would be a huge piece of work. It’s not “just” moving things around, it’s not even a “copy & paste” job. They would most likely have to re-build all of the affected maps from scratch, including re-programming all of the events and things like the Personal Story and content guide that point you to those maps.

It would only be quicker than making a new map because the design work is done. They know what the end product should be (although they would have to agree on which makes to combine and how to change the shape).

And to stop the maps being rectangular they’d have to add a bunch of invisible walls, or new mountains with invisible walls along the top, because the sky boxes would still have to be rectangular. (I think it is possible to change that, but it depends on the software used and doesn’t provide any real benefit here.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Moonyeti.3296

Moonyeti.3296

It would only be quicker than making a new map because the design work is done. They know what the end product should be (although they would have to agree on which makes to combine and how to change the shape).

Even taking this into consideration this is rarely the case, as you have to do new design work anyway to fit the new map. And it is almost always easier to design this sort of thing from scratch than it is to take an existing design and try to refit it to a new map, while keeping the original design constraints and intentions intact. I would imagine it is actually easier to create a new map then modify an old one (modifications of this extent at any rate)

Posted by: Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

Sonja Teh Trapper.7012

with re working the maps would it be like gw1 ? an re working do u mean improvements to party sizes like 2, 4, 8, 12 like gvg or pve exploring? just curious i like the aspects of how gw2 is different from the first one!

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

with re working the maps would it be like gw1 ? an re working do u mean improvements to party sizes like 2, 4, 8, 12 like gvg or pve exploring? just curious i like the aspects of how gw2 is different from the first one!

No no. I just mean change the shape. Make it
Blend a little more. Also it doesn’t ALWAYS have to be mountains. They can add a village or town you know? They could also add a fishing dock?? Honestly the room for creativity in this is large. It’s a way better idea than unrealistic rectangular maps trapped within mountains. Not all maps are like this. As a matter of fact, I would say that at least half of all core gw2 maps are fine.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Seems like a lot of work for no gain. I too don’t like the regular, geometric shaping, but I don’t want them reworking old maps at the cost of new content when it will make zero difference to the game.