Ridiculous skins adding

Ridiculous skins adding

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Stormtrooper.5976

Stormtrooper.5976

Hello, everyone. After browsing weapons wardrobe I’ve got a question “Why ANet still adding all those ridiculously over-sized anime-like impractical weapons/armor?” For example, I’m playing male sylvari thief and the only sword compatible to my character (as for me) is Bonetti’s Rapier and maybe 3-4 other swords. And the same with daggers, pistols, etc.
What about armor – who needs all those mantle-like bathrobes? Sneakthief set is great, but plenty of others is kinda impractical (like Bladed armor).
How about adding some “realistic” weapons/armor like side swords, rapiers, fencing daggers, etc. Some “realistic” armor/outfits? They could have some effects like glowing and particles (why not?). I’m sure there is a lot of players who would like to buy some stuff like this.

P.S. It’s only my own opinion.
P.P.S. English is not my native language, so sorry for mistakes.

(edited by Stormtrooper.5976)

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I agree that realistic looking weapons are needed for those that want to have a realistic looking character. But those weapons don’t stand out. There are actually a number of standard looking weapons, they are typically your low level starter weapons. Most people want weapons that will stand out in a crowd, thus large and exaggerated.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

I’ve disliked the “personal aesthetics” of this game from day 1. Game looks gorgeous, except the stuff you’re meant to wear and swing at enemies. The vast majority of it looks either horrible or ridiculous and often a pathetic combination of both. Deciding upon looks for my characters usually involves finding the least ugly option instead of the best looking option.

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

Some of the black lion skins they’ve added recently are pretty good.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: vindictus sigilarum.9468

vindictus sigilarum.9468

I think they could easily make some of the more aesthetically simple weapons look pretty kitten great, without being ridiculous. It’s not hard to add some particle effects as a lot of their weapons have them. Several weapons in game already have a lot of unique visuals without looking Final Fantasy lols huge. I’d love to see some more unique outfits also, samurai armor as I mentioned in my own post, maybe an ancient greek, or roman themed armor would go good too. My thing is when they add a weapon like Belinda’s great sword, or Firebringer/Honor of Humanity with their Gladius looks, but you have no armor that really completes the feel. I get this is a fantasy game and is meant to have it’s unique flavor, but GW1 went with the theme feels and allowed you to pull off looking Egyptian/Greek and still kept it’s on unique flavor.

I think a lot more weapon skins would get used if there were some better armor choices that allowed you to recreate certain themes.

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Pick a skin — any skin — and don’t reveal it to the magician. The following is always true:

• No matter how ugly I think it is, at least 10% of the community will love it.
  • No matter how awesome I think it is, at least 10% of the community will hate it.
  • At least 5% of players can find at least one clipping issue; at least another 5% can’t find the clipping issue even after being told where to look.
  • At least 20% of the players will have trouble finding a way to dye it (if dyeable) or match dyes to it (if not dyeable).
  • At least 30% of players will think it’s overpriced, regardless of how much they like it.

The primary solution to all these varying tastes: generate a metric kitten [sic] ton of skins and try to provide something to everyone. The only problem with that solution: most of the designers seem to use a young, straight boy’s aesthetic, which means lots of skin for female armor, no skin for male armor, & so on.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: Faab.8049

Faab.8049

Yeah the quality of the design is quite obnoxious at times. There are a few good ones, but in general I’m with the OP that most skins are way over the top.
Good design is not flashy, but rather understated and at first glance unassuming.
Too few skins are like that, and getting a human female to dress in something as simple as pants is not possible.
ACtually, not to think about it, Was Na.9781 is quite correct how immature the design is.

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Same with hammers. I paid 45g for Lightward’s Hammer because all the others are ridiculous. But thats my choice

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

If you want basic looking gear then you need to be looking at low level skins. My main looks like just an average guy in a long coat and peasant shirt. I’m using the under level 10 precision only set shoulder pad, a level 20s set glove and boots. The only high level skin I have is my ascended quiver back piece.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: ShinyDay.5349

ShinyDay.5349

I wouldn’t bother with thos skins if I were you. I don’t mind if they add new skins and how they look like. If there is some skin that I like, I will simply buy it. If not, I will just ignore it and let someone else spend his money on it.
We all have differend taste in fashion, so what might seems ugly to you, might seems like amaing to others.

i7 4790, GTX 1070, SSD Samsung 850 EVO + HyperX Fury 480gb, Z97A Krait, 16GB 2133MHz CL10 DDR3,
Corsair RM650x, Fractal Define S (with window panel)

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Yeah the quality of the design is quite obnoxious at times. There are a few good ones, but in general I’m with the OP that most skins are way over the top.
Good design is not flashy, but rather understated and at first glance unassuming.
Too few skins are like that, and getting a human female to dress in something as simple as pants is not possible.
ACtually, not to think about it, Was Na.9781 is quite correct how immature the design is.

Light armor doesn’t have a lot of options for female characters in pants, but medium and heavy certainly have a few.

@Guzzi: Hi! Check the gallant hammer out, if you haven’t. (I’m a huge fan of the whole set, myself.)

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Ridiculous skins adding

Posted by: vindictus sigilarum.9468

vindictus sigilarum.9468

They definitely need to address the fact that the majority of their medium chest pieces are trench coats. They need to show a little more imagination for those who run rangers and thieves.